Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
WWE booking doesn't believe in whitemeat babyfaces and actively tries to make them unlikeable and/or losers. Probably another unintended effect of the Attitude Era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Knowing the kind of people who run and book WWE its not really a super mystery why they book someone as the epitome of "nice girls finish last."

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Is anyone surprised that the one match that had sensible booking was the one that had Stephanie in it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Neodoomium posted:

Is anyone surprised that the one match that had sensible booking was the one that had Stephanie in it

It was a really fun match, but Steph got more than 0% offense in on Ronda so the booking was NOT sensible! :colbert:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Steph defending the armbar more than once was completely asinine and a transparent attempt to make Steph look strong.

They at least paid it off with her whimpering in mortal fear before the "Snapping Armbar"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The visual of Ronda staring into her face, holding the arm and saying,"TOO LATE!" was really goddamn cool too.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Wrestlemania was basically a 7 hour show that had one goal: make Ronda look good, which they did!

Unfortunately a TON of people looked bad either due to neglect or incompetence

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not going to complain about it or anything because it ended fine, but there's no reason Stephanie should have been even remotely effective against Rousey. She should have been Carmella running away from Asuka. More than that. Some of the original taunting and slapping is fine but the second Ronda got her hands on her it should have been sheer terror and panic and never getting a single move or real offense in.

Its not a surprise that Stephanie was booked as competitive, but it wasn't "sensible".

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Same city, same stadium, hell, probably at least half the crowd is the same people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfFrDS2cCKA

Can't loving believe its been 4 years of complete garbage Roman main events since this. jesus christ lmao

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I guess when I mean "sensible" I mean "the person they intended to make look good looked very good"

Stephanie getting herself over as somehow comparable to Ronda was such a given that I keep looking over it as not surprising

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I did not have a problem with the booking. For the most part.

- IC title? Fine.
- Smackdown Women's Title: Almost gave me an aneurysm.
- US Title: The other example of really bad booking decisions.
- Smackdown Tag Titles: Wouldn't know, didn't watch.
- Authority Figure Tag: Went on too long and made Steph look too strong. Otherwise really good.
- Other Authority Figure Tag: Shane did his thing and D-Bry kicked rear end without taking any unnecessary bumps. Great.
- Cena/Taker: I will never tire of seeing Cena get destroyed. It's super cathartic after a decade of Super Cena and makes me more able to appreciate him both as a performer and as a person.
(Also: I can't be the only person on here who has floated the idea of re-christening the Warrior Award to the Cena Award am I?)
-AJ/Nakamura: The booking was not the problem here.
- Bliss/Jax: I'm not sure how the booking could have possibly been any better.
- Raw Tag Titles: The kid needed to be JJ.
- Universal Title: There is no correct answer here. Except "If you don't trust any of your full-time wrestlers to carry your largest title then something has gone very wrong with your business"

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Daniel did a couple of interesting things I noticed. He stopped doing the missile through the middle rope, instead doing a baseball slide. When he did the flipping leg lariats in the corner, he grabbed the rope to rotate instead of landing on his head.

It was interesting to see him doing tweaked versions of old spots to protect himself.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm genuinely still annoyed from like weeks ago when the Usos and New Day did a kick rear end promo about how they've been the two best tag teams in WWE for the last few years and had great matches but have never had their WM moments... and then the Hammer Idiots just randomly inserted themselves into it, hosed with their matches, and then won the belts in 5 minutes.

Like... I'm genuinely bothered by that and now dislike Luke Harper as a consequence. Why the gently caress did you sell me something you had no intention of giving me?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I didn't have a problem with the bludgeon guys looking powerful, but yeah. They built that up with some super fiery promos from the Usos and the New Day and then they had a 6 minute match where both of those teams got obliterated. There was no good reason to do that to those two teams.

Wrestlemania 34: "There was no good reason to do that"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think some matches were marred by bad agenting, the booking wasn't too bad in the sense that it was the booking WWE had been working on for a couple of months now. Like, it was a very mediocre WM but it was set up to be a very mediocre WM. AJ/Nakamura being a letdown didn't help.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My friends seemed to be of the same mind on that one.
"Move the Usos to Raw and New Day's popularity is unassailable so whatever"

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Xavier played a power ranger tune and tiny pancake men appeared

Also wrestling happened

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Neodoomium posted:

I didn't have a problem with the bludgeon guys looking powerful, but yeah. They built that up with some super fiery promos from the Usos and the New Day and then they had a 6 minute match where both of those teams got obliterated. There was no good reason to do that to those two teams.

Wrestlemania 34: "There was no good reason to do that"

That's the thing, I don't REALLY hate the Bludgeon Brothers. I've always had a thing for big bruising tag teams that Rowan can hide in, and Harper can carry the rest. The look is cheesy but I'm a horror geek so I can buy into it with some tweaks or time and they sell death well.

They just had no reason at all to be in that match and it was beyond stupid to build up the match as the huge professional culmination of these two great teams and their rivalries and great runs and then have them get relatively squashed by these third party guys.

And as a result I hate them and consider them the Hammer Idiots.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
yeah the AJ/Nakamura match for me was so underwhelming. Once I realized I was kinda bored by it (and thankfully the heel turn happened) I was kinda just done with the show at that point. I wish I just turned it off and did something else but no I stuck around for the finale because I hate myself.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

i think maybe don't have both Royal Rumble winners lose at Mania, especially when one is the winner of the First Ever women's rumble

charlotte/asuka was good but needed more time to be great, also would have rather asuka get pinned instead of tapping

Smackdown tag should've had way more time, I was legit expecting a 4* return to those old Hardys/E&C/Dudley matches

Rousey isn't good but I know everyone wants her to be and it'll take a month or two for that to wear off so :shrug:

shinsuke/aj being merely 'okay' hurts deeply

lol roman

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Neodoomium posted:

Steph defending the armbar more than once was completely asinine and a transparent attempt to make Steph look strong.

They at least paid it off with her whimpering in mortal fear before the "Snapping Armbar"

Eh... while it is Stephanie, there needs to be a balance between Ronda the murder machine and the Ronda who can be beaten in a WWE ring. I think you do need to humanize Ronda somewhat as a person that has weaknessess and can be beaten. I hope that this means her normal matches are more competitive instead of winning with an armbar in 30 seconds, but we'll see how it goes.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Using Wrestlemania to transition someone to heel and prolong a feud works if you do it like Austin/Rock at X-7 (which did not work live since it was in Houston).

They could have done that story again with Nakamura not able to solve AJ until he snaps and cheats to win.

But they weren't going to give that match enough time to set it up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

yeah the AJ/Nakamura match for me was so underwhelming. Once I realized I was kinda bored by it (and thankfully the heel turn happened) I was kinda just done with the show at that point. I wish I just turned it off and did something else but no I stuck around for the finale because I hate myself.

The way AJ and Nakamura were wrestling that match it really felt like they had a plan to build up the match and before they could enter the end game and speed the match up they got shortened up. I don't know if that's the case but these are two great wrestlers who have had great matches with each other and its the only way that match makes sense to me.

Also crowd didn't seem "ready" for the Nakamura turn and I wonder if a longer match would have had something to set that up more.

That being said I think it was a fine match for what it was, it just never really got to finish. Which sucks and is a massive disappointment. But its still better than more than half of the matches on the night.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Astro7x posted:

Eh... while it is Stephanie, there needs to be a balance between Ronda the murder machine and the Ronda who can be beaten in a WWE ring. I think you do need to humanize Ronda somewhat as a person that has weaknessess and can be beaten. I hope that this means her normal matches are more competitive instead of winning with an armbar in 30 seconds, but we'll see how it goes.

But Stephanie isn't the person to humanize Ronda. Stephanie isn't a competitor. She should be getting killed by Asuka. She should be getting owned by Sasha and Bayley. Hell Sonya Deville should be able to take Stephanie without much trouble. I get that there's some residual McMahon super powers here and she's already gone head to head with someone like Brie before. But that doesn't make it any more sensible.

Ronda should be shown as somewhat vulnerable. To the wrestlers, not the upper office desk workers. She wasn't booked against a peer, she was booked against a non-wrestler, non-athlete. There should have never been a fight there.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The way AJ and Nakamura were wrestling that match it really felt like they had a plan to build up the match and before they could enter the end game and speed the match up they got shortened up. I don't know if that's the case but these are two great wrestlers who have had great matches with each other and its the only way that match makes sense to me.

Also crowd didn't seem "ready" for the Nakamura turn and I wonder if a longer match would have had something to set that up more.

That being said I think it was a fine match for what it was, it just never really got to finish. Which sucks and is a massive disappointment. But its still better than more than half of the matches on the night.

Yeah I'm about to sign up for NJPW World because I only watch WWE once a year and its always a pile of poo poo (minus WM 30 ending which was actually so loving good but that was literally 4!!! years ago)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Unfortunately I think we live in a world where we should just be happy that Stephanie tapped.
Not everybody can walk out there and get destroyed with the grace of John Cena.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
What you do is watch Takeovers and when you're REAL bored tune into a WWE PPV.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Nak turn was the best thing about the match
Face Nak in WWE sucks and is boring. I want to see how well Heel Nak fares.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

it was bad because it was just them spamming moves back and forth on each other

it was indieriffic in the bad sense of indie where it was just a collection of moves and not a coherent story

they waited till after the pinfall to start the story which is wrong on so many levels

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not against Heel Nakamura. Its just felt like the crowd wasn't into it at the time. But its entirely possible that's me projecting my own feelings where i was kind of down on the short ending of that match and that it was left unfinished and didn't have the gravitas to sell Nakamura's turn. And I don't like seeing a WM title match being used as a setup for another match.

ChrisBTY posted:

Unfortunately I think we live in a world where we should just be happy that Stephanie tapped.
Not everybody can walk out there and get destroyed with the grace of John Cena.

Like I said, I'm not surprised Stephanie was booked stronger than what made sense. She's a McMahon. That's what they do. It just wasn't the "proper" booking decision.

But its built into a McMahon match and things ended the way they should, so you have to write it off as the cost of doing business with that family.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

But Stephanie isn't the person to humanize Ronda. Stephanie isn't a competitor. She should be getting killed by Asuka. She should be getting owned by Sasha and Bayley. Hell Sonya Deville should be able to take Stephanie without much trouble. I get that there's some residual McMahon super powers here and she's already gone head to head with someone like Brie before. But that doesn't make it any more sensible.

Ronda should be shown as somewhat vulnerable. To the wrestlers, not the upper office desk workers. She wasn't booked against a peer, she was booked against a non-wrestler, non-athlete. There should have never been a fight there.

i understand this

but in wwe history this is the absoultely worse comeuppance steph has ever endured and really, one of the first actual comeuppances ever?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

How often was Nakamura frustrated by AJ in the lead-up to the match? All of the promos and the package for it implied that he kept punking out AJ and patronizing him, which makes his heel turn that much more ridiculous at the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I hear you. Like I said just above, its just the known McMahon Factor. Doesn't make it any more sensible, but isn't really worth getting upset about if you've watched more than one McMahon match.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

lmbo at every "sensible booking" post ITT :kek:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

im cute posted:

lmbo at every "sensible booking" post ITT :kek:

goons bad at pattern recognition example the 9999239th

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

How often was Nakamura frustrated by AJ in the lead-up to the match? All of the promos and the package for it implied that he kept punking out AJ and patronizing him, which makes his heel turn that much more ridiculous at the end.

On the last Smackdown, AJ finally turned the tide on Nakamura and punked him out. At first Shinsuke seemed appreciative of AJ doing it, till AJ patted him on the head (which Shinsuke had done before to AJ) and he looked angry about it. Heel turn still came as a surprise to me though, especially since I'd figured he was going to win and become the new Champ.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Zyla posted:

goons bad at pattern recognition example the 9999239th

the other 9999238 examples were all crying about the WWE

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

On the last Smackdown, AJ finally turned the tide on Nakamura and punked him out. At first Shinsuke seemed appreciative of AJ doing it, till AJ patted him on the head (which Shinsuke had done before to AJ) and he looked angry about it. Heel turn still came as a surprise to me though, especially since I'd figured he was going to win and become the new Champ.

the bookies made out incredible tonight, according to sources rofl

all the lines were insanely wrong and almost looks like spite/loving with bettors

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Zyla posted:

the bookies made out incredible tonight, according to sources rofl

all the lines were insanely wrong and almost looks like spite/loving with bettors

They always do. Never bet on WWE. It’s booked by a 71 year old racist and a buck-toothed sexist misanthrope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Jerusalem posted:

His heel turn might make more sense after Tuesday but I wish they had maybe structured the build from January to be "You won the rumble but you're not on my level" followed by AJ consistently getting the better of him and patronizing him. Him coming in frustrated and coming up short would have led to a better storyline reason for him to turn after losing.

• Locked thread