Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

This

It's an experiment that didn't work out in the eyes of many - I was cool with it but even if I hadn't been, no big deal. Seeing it become a stupid meme is vaguely annoying speaking as someone who's been so pumped for the anime.

And I mean I love Noda and there's nothing wrong with doing it but talking about how it's ruining it to try something that might have been a cost effective and less difficult decision brings me back to discussions we'll have about the manga sometimes about whether Noda relies "too much" on filtered photographs for backgrounds when like... Can you blame the man

At least when Noda uses a photograph he's skilled enough to make it work (well enough).

I can appreciate the attempt to try something new, but they should have done a stripped down test to see if it worked instead of just going all in on it for the first episode to the point that they couldn't try something else.

Plenty of other animated shows are able to draw animals with fur in a satisfactory way without blowing the whole budget. Plus, they could have just swapped the shading style to match Retar at the very least when they saw how bad it clashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Endorph posted:

im the guy who thinks an anime production cycle has enough time to do anything like this

Ok that's a fair point. Sometimes I forget that anime production is a death march.

At least they did actually go for something and try to use fur physics to make it look "real".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/ZiggyZagz/status/983861134615658497

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

:sigh:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

I think it's also definitely suffering the comparison to the manga which has so much charm. If this was original material people probably would be less critical (though the bears would still probably be getting poo poo on) since it otherwise looks decent, but blanding-out considering the source is a pretty big flaw.

A good sign is that, looking around the net, people are still loving the show even if they are anime only. So the show is still getting across the charm of the story. Manga readers are just a bit spoiled it seems.

Hopefully this means further seasons that get better treatment.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

So we got another CGI bear.

But that's okay because we got this as well:

By the way, Huchi asking for Sugimoto to marry Asirpa was loving weird. Did she say that on the manga? I really don't recall.

So glad the faces are getting better. I think they just needed to get used to going way off model to convey the feeling of those scenes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Someone who has watched the new ep tell me if they've figured out how to do funny faces; I saw a screencap that seemed to indicate as such but can't watch anything right now.

fake edit

The animators are finding their footing finally. Much happier with it now.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

so umm, the hell was that bear rape line about? Please tell me that's not a thing that happens in hunting.

Spoiler for way down the line in the story, but no context:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Not a fan of Episode 11; I was looking forward to the temporary shift to an indoor setting, but it tapped into some transphobic tropes while relying too much on campy horror movie logic.

It's just based on HHHolmes and his murder hotel.

They didn't try to blame Ienaga's crimes on them being trans, if anything the focus is on their obsession with Chinese medicine as the reason they murder people (to eat the parts they want to "absorb").

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

It's still tied into wanting to change her body, though...

Like others are saying, I feel like the "menacing" aspect is focused on her methods and not on her desire.

Plus it's not like she's only going for the "perfect" female body, but some amorphous idea of peak physical and aesthetic being (hence wanting take out Ushiyama for his, ahem, power).

EDIT: That said I can see how it's not a great characterization, I just don't believe there's active malice behind it, just a misstep.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

explain your take so we can see where you're getting that, like maybe refer to the text some or something

I smell a MOD CHALLENGE!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Still wearing your uniform after you get out is extremely shameful.

If Sugimoto was 100 years in the future he'd spend all his time making posts on the internet starting with AS A VETERAN,

I figured it's more like how a down on his luck Vietnam vet would keep wearing his BDUs as street clothes for the same reasoning that tsob has. Sugimoto isn't enamored with the military at all. He joined up for reasons other than "God and Country!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

tsob posted:

Sugimoto started out the show pan-handling for gold and his goal is to raise cash so he can help his dead buddies' family; he really doesn't come off as someone with spare cash to flush away on anything. In fact, beyond explosives, has Sugimoto actually spent money on anything in the show?

Beyond assumed costs of meals on the rare times they eat in a restaurant, not really.