Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

The Yakuza series, known as Ryu ga Gotoku, or Like a Dragon, in Japan, is a series of action games developed and published by SEGA that revolve around Kiryu Kazama, a top member of the yakuza organization known as the Tojo Clan. The games feature a small, but incredibly dense open world that serves as the stage for a gritty crime drama that's also packed to the gills with silly activities and sidequests and many things to just get lost in. The series also features combat akin to beat-em-ups that has evolved and become more and more intricate and engaging over time. It's a mega-popular series in Japan and is recently seeing a resurgence overseas, after a somewhat mismanaged history of localizations.

This game, Yakuza Kiwami, is a remake of the original game in the series, originally released for PS2, meant to both modernize it and celebrate the series' 10th anniversary. This isn't the first attempt at modernizing the first game; there's an HD Remaster of it and the sequel for both PS3 and Wii U that were only released in Japan that update the core gameplay to be more like the second game's, because the original gameplay left a lot to be desired. Kiwami goes beyond the HD Remaster's attempt and recreates basically everything with the engine and gameplay of its predecessor, Yakuza 0. That game introduced a style system to combat, which allowed players to take different approaches to battle, and Kiwami refines it and makes it feel more polished.

This will be an informative LP where I show off the main story and as much content as I can manage. I'm joined by my usual co-commentator Jobbo_Fett, who doesn't have any experience with this series, so I'm hoping to show him what makes this game and franchise great. I'll try to release episodes once or twice a week, but no promises. There's a whole lot to see and experience in this game and Jobbo's going in blind, so let's make it clear: :siren:No spoilers:siren:

Chapter 01 - Fate of the Kinslayer

Chapter 02 - December 5, 2005: Ten Years Gone

Chapter 03 - Funeral of Fists

Chapter 04 - An Encounter

Chapter 05 - Purgatory

Chapter 06 - Father and Child

Chapter 07 - The Dragon and the Koi

Chapter 08 - The Scheme

Chapter 09 - The Rescue

Chapter 10 - Shape of Love

Chapter 11 - Honor and Humanity

Chapter 12 - Reunited

Finale - The End of Battle

Postgame

Bonus Videos
Mysterious Syringe (Chapter 08, e38)

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fan Stuff

chtoryu12 shows us how to do the hustle

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 19, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kazuma 'Injuries incompatible with life' Kiryu.
hell yes

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Kazuma Kiryu is awesome!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I absolutely didn't expect this but it's a great surprise regardless.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Lookin forward to seein the crazy poo poo that happens!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
1 is the first one, and 0 is a prequel?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

White Coke posted:

1 is the first one, and 0 is a prequel?

Yes.

I hope Argate does the flip next episode.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm actually about to start this soon for myself once I wrap up 0.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've never seen anything from Yakuza, so this will be my first exposure!

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I saw this pop up on my YouTube subscription feed. I'm so happy to see you do this, ChaosArgate. The first video LP I ever finished since the existence of LP subforum was Yakuza. Looking forward to the nostalgia and updates.

My first impression of Majima was a toned down Joker. Then I learned his original dub VA was Markl Hamill and I was like :aaaaa:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is it tacky to say I want Kazuma's suit?

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Is it tacky to say I want Kazuma's suit?

Apparently it is in Japan. I forgot what site did it exactly, but they got actual members of the Yakuza to play Yakuza 3 at one point, and I remember that the article mentions that they poo poo-talked Kiryu's suit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

animeluva1 posted:

I saw this pop up on my YouTube subscription feed. I'm so happy to see you do this, ChaosArgate. The first video LP I ever finished since the existence of LP subforum was Yakuza. Looking forward to the nostalgia and updates.

My first impression of Majima was a toned down Joker. Then I learned his original dub VA was Markl Hamill and I was like :aaaaa:

Come the end of Chapter 1, I think I’ll have a really big nostalgia trip for you!

GoneRampant posted:

Apparently it is in Japan. I forgot what site did it exactly, but they got actual members of the Yakuza to play Yakuza 3 at one point, and I remember that the article mentions that they poo poo-talked Kiryu's suit.

They were a fan of the suit itself, but they thought the shirt made him look like a grunt or a host or something and not a tough executive.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I tried to play the original PS2 game and was terrible at it, and while there's at least one complete LP of that version, it's also fairly old and low res at this point, so I'm just as happy to follow a version that's prettier in every respect.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, so, it was mentioned in the video that Yumi has the same voice as Shaundi from Saints Row. This is kind of burying the lede because that voice actress is Hollywood actress Eliza Dushku. Granted, she's not exactly an A-list star, but I find it funny that "oh yeah she also played Shaundi once" was the go-to. It'd be like referring to Mark Hamill as "y'know, Corey Anders from that Hanna-Barbera I Dream of Jeannie cartoon".

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I always thought of Mark Hamill as "The Guy from those cool Wing Commander games with Biff from Back to the Future"

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

Come the end of Chapter 1, I think I’ll have a really big nostalgia trip for you!

They were a fan of the suit itself, but they thought the shirt made him look like a grunt or a host or something and not a tough executive.

In my defense, been a while since I read the article, so I'll own up to that. Still I think it's hilarious that a journalist convinced actual yakuza members to play the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I found that article where some actual yakuza were recruited to review the game.

quote:

"Midoriyama": Kiryu is the way yakuza used to be. We kept the streets clean. People liked us. We didn't bother ordinary citizens. We respected our bosses. Now, guys like that only exist in video games.
"Shirokawa": I don't know any ex-yakuza running orphanages.
"Kuroishi": There was one a few years ago. A good guy.
"Midoriyama": You sure it wasn't just a tax shelter?
"Kuroishi": Sure it was a tax shelter but he ran it like a legitimate thing. You know.

Also they suggest him having a back tattoo means he ran out of money to get a full torso job.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 12, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Whenever anyone talks about the Yakuza 1 dub I'm tempted to post about that video of Kiwami scenes overlaid with all the excessive cussing in the original versions of those scenes. It's great but probably constitutes a bit of a spoiler. It's also not hard to find if you're looking, so I'll refrain.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I found that article where some actual yakuza were recruited to review the game.

Also they suggest him having a back tattoo means he ran out of money to get a full torso job.

A torso tattoo would get in the way of the rippling muscles.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Arist posted:

Whenever anyone talks about the Yakuza 1 dub I'm tempted to post about that video of Kiwami scenes overlaid with all the excessive cussing in the original versions of those scenes. It's great but probably constitutes a bit of a spoiler. It's also not hard to find if you're looking, so I'll refrain.

If we get to that part please post it, I'm not gonna search when there are potential spoilers abound :allears:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I can't wait to hear Luke Skywalker curse like a sailor.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's a loving $1200 ring! My engagement ring didn't cost that much!

Good thing too, since she cheated on me and dumped me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

That's a loving $1200 ring! My engagement ring didn't cost that much!

Good thing too, since she cheated on me and dumped me.

:( sorry to hear that dude

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:( sorry to hear that dude

It's cool. It happened 6 months ago and she did a bunch of really awful poo poo afterward, so I'm not too broken up about it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

It's cool. It happened 6 months ago and she did a bunch of really awful poo poo afterward, so I'm not too broken up about it.

Oh, alright

*cancels the contract*

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I'm sorry too.

I'm also sorry to see this game include such obvious padding. Oh well, it's great even with, and was bound to happen. :)

While we're on the subject of the original English dub, the bartender Reina was originally voiced by Rachael Leigh Cooke, an actress who was all that in the late 1990s and early 2000s. She still does good stuff on occasion these days too- kinda like Eliza Dushku (Yumi) and a lot of other actresses of the same generation.

Nishiki was also voiced by Michael Rosenbaum, best known as Smallville's Lex Luthor, in the original English dub. You can get a full cast listing here. The voices are just famous enough to make me nostalgic, mostly. Some of them, I'm pleasantly surprised at the credits they have to their names and regret they couldn't afford to keep up the dubbing with the sequel games (I can just see Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, and other famous video game voices as various characters I won't name).

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
For the name of the jewelry store, they were probably going for "Le Marché", which means "The Market". They had the right gender for the noun, so I suppose it's not worth making a fuss over diacritics.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FrankZP posted:

For the name of the jewelry store, they were probably going for "Le Marché", which means "The Market". They had the right gender for the noun, so I suppose it's not worth making a fuss over diacritics.

Yeah but they didn't have the accent so I'm sticking to my guns :colbert:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Oh poo poo, how did I miss this? Your second video popped up on my YouTube, and I went to go find this thread. I was just watching Kiwami 2 videos last night too. Looking forward to this thread, if Giant Bomb East isn't going to continue Beast in the East with Kiwami any time soon, this will fill that hole. Love the Yakuza games.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well at this point I certainly don't have time to play Kiwami before 6 comes out so I'll just consume it this way.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sindai posted:

Well at this point I certainly don't have time to play Kiwami before 6 comes out so I'll just consume it this way.

gently caress don’t remind me. I’m still in the middle of 0 too!

achtungnight posted:

I'm also sorry to see this game include such obvious padding. Oh well, it's great even with, and was bound to happen. :)

It comes off as padding, but it does develop the characters and flesh them out a little more, which is nice. It’s also a little preview of the kind of humor we can expect out of some of the side content too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Happy Yakuza 6 day, folks. :toot:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, Kashiwagi looks like such a dork now. What a goofy hairstyle.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I'm pretty sure those forks got sharpened. My source is mainly the prison episode of Mythbusters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

animeluva1 posted:

I'm pretty sure those forks got sharpened. My source is mainly the prison episode of Mythbusters.

Considering this isn't America, I just assumed they were actually metal forks.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I mean, we see a dude get his hand stabbed and bleed all over the place in the cutscene. So they're clearly capable of doing real damage to people who aren't videogame protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

malkav11 posted:

I mean, we see a dude get his hand stabbed and bleed all over the place in the cutscene. So they're clearly capable of doing real damage to people who aren't videogame protagonists.

So was that a distraction to get rid of the guards?

Also, now that we know what kiwami means, what does yakuza mean?