Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm never going to get that completion point for winning a shogi match. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Onmi posted:

No I get that I've beaten 0 and played Kiwami, I know it's ladies in fetish bug gear. It's here because it was in 0. It's that it's a terrible mini-game because it can take forever and you have no control over it. The only 'control' you have is during a clash of the same type, and here's the kicker, that's a lie. you mashing doesn't DO anything in the clash, whether you win or lose is entirely RNG. Personally what it's 2005? I'd have done a DDR Disco, but I guess repurposing animations that exist is easier than getting new songs.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Oh well in that case I can totally see why this would be an acceptable game and now I feel bad for making GBS threads all over it, and Haydee.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh well in that case I can totally see why this would be an acceptable game and now I feel bad for making GBS threads all over it, and Haydee.

Hey, since you seem in the know, did Haydee actually go anywhere or is it just a big boring series of hallways like it was three years ago?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, since you seem in the know, did Haydee actually go anywhere or is it just a big boring series of hallways like it was three years ago?

I've never actually played it. Its just one of those shame-games in my library that I keep joking I'll make an LP to, but replace all the women with dudes, laugh at the idea, and then play actual games instead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I've never actually played it. Its just one of those shame-games in my library that I keep joking I'll make an LP to, but replace all the women with dudes, laugh at the idea, and then play actual games instead.

Aww dang. You were bringing it up so I thought you were the Haydee master. Like that guy that deduced that Aliens Colonial Marines' AI was so poo poo because of a single typo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RareAcumen posted:

Aww dang. You were bringing it up so I thought you were the Haydee master. Like that guy that deduced that Aliens Colonial Marines' AI was so poo poo because of a single typo.

Gimme $5,000 and I'll stream it start to finish, but I get to choose the character models. (Be prepared for Waluigi/Chris Redfield Kiryu/Majima)

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Gimme $5,000 and I'll stream it start to finish, but I get to choose the character models. (Be prepared for Waluigi/Chris Redfield Kiryu/Majima)

I don't have 5k to spare right now but this hypothetical LP with a different set of mods every episode would be hilarious.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Also, a reminder that Yakuza and Ace Attorney take place in the same shared setting. This is canon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sudonim posted:

Also, a reminder that Yakuza and Ace Attorney take place in the same shared setting. This is canon.

Also that Wright is apparently a mob lawyer.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kibayasu posted:

Also that Wright is apparently a mob lawyer.

Look man, if Wright sees you in a corner with no one on your side and he earnestly believes you to be as innocent as the pure, driven snow, then you bet he'll step in. Even for the mob. :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Majima makes a great PW character too, aside from the lack of pun name.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Augh, the original version had a Blue Gang Boss with a taser who was a lot tougher. They made the Akai Bros fight harder to compensate but still... And you may have missed a rare weapon with a unique Heat action worth commenting on in the White Edge fight. Did you notice those Mysterious Syringes on the alley floor? Next time you do that fight I recommend using one on somebody if you can. It’s quite damaging even if it does take skill to pull off (one use weapon, better have Heat for full effect).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Augh, the original version had a Blue Gang Boss with a taser who was a lot tougher. They made the Akai Bros fight harder to compensate but still... And you may have missed a rare weapon with a unique Heat action worth commenting on in the White Edge fight. Did you notice those Mysterious Syringes on the alley floor? Next time you do that fight I recommend using one on somebody if you can. It’s quite damaging even if it does take skill to pull off (one use weapon, better have Heat for full effect).

Oh I didn't realize that was there! When I get back home later today, I can boot up my save file from before recording this session and try to get this as a bonus video.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad I could help. Hope it works the same way in the remake. Unique brutal Heat Actions are my favorite part of Yakuza combat. Witness the Salt, Portable Stove (numerous games), Box of Nails (Yakuza 0), and many other examples.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So Chaos is not spending your EXP just to mess with Jobbo at this point?

EDIT: Also I'd love to actually play that moment where Kazama comes for Kiryu, because dad rage is always fun, as we've been seeing by Kiryu Dad Raging for Haruka. And unlike Kiryu, Kazama kills.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 8, 2018

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Bonus: Mysterious Syringe

Thanks for letting me know about this one!

Onmi posted:

So Chaos is not spending your EXP just to mess with Jobbo at this point?

EDIT: Also I'd love to actually play that moment where Kazama comes for Kiryu, because dad rage is always fun, as we've been seeing by Kiryu Dad Raging for Haruka. And unlike Kiryu, Kazama kills.

Combo that and also just me not really paying attention to my exp when I'm recording. I'll get to it eventually, I swear.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yep, just how I remember. Whatever’s in those things I don’t think that’s where the gang were injecting them. Heh.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
KAZUMA KIRYU HAS NEVER KILLED A MAN

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Onmi posted:

KAZUMA KIRYU HAS NEVER KILLED A MAN

:hai:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would like to see Kazuma Kiryu fight Wei Shen.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You hear that, Soul Calibur 6?

Money idea in this thread right now!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Wow, I forgot your health gets refilled when the truck shows up in this version. That's surprisingly nice of them. I also like how the game shows that Kiryu non-lethally shot that guy in the arm and caused him to pass out, only for his truck to dramatically explode five seconds later.

And yes, this section is utterly painful in the original game, as recently documented in episode 24 of my wildly successful Yakuza PS2 LP. While you have to control the camera (with the shoulder buttons because what's a "right analog stick"?) and can't hit enemies when they're offscreen, the enemies don't have the same problem and will shoot you quite happily when you're busy turning the camera around. Of course you don't have bullet time either, all you get is a zoom that only manages to reduce your field of view and make aiming even more difficult. It's not great.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 11, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I would like to see Kazuma Kiryu fight Wei Shen.

Wei impales Kiryu on a pallet of swordfish and does not understand why Kiyru can just stand back up. Kiryu doesn't know what Wei is surprised about, he does that kind of thing to people all the time and they get right back up after the fight too.

The reverse of this routine is a bit darker :v:

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Night10194 posted:

I would like to see Kazuma Kiryu fight Wei Shen in a karaoke battle.

Fixed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alright, I finally got off my rear end and put the rest of the LP into playlists so that should make marathon watching a little easier.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I'm amazed at his 15 round revolver. Give me one of those

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Must be shooting .22s.

That'd explain a lot about that sequence actually.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
For the record, the polearm Lau was using is a Guan Dao-or Crescent Moon Blade.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Been watching this over on YouTube, just wanted to say thanks for showing off this game. I'll probably be picking up Yakuza 0 once my list of unplayed and half finished games starts to look boring.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Iamyourking posted:

For the record, the polearm Lau was using is a Guan Dao-or Crescent Moon Blade.
:v: Which a certain co-commentator talking about how dangerous the bo staff is in Warframe should have recognized!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Tibbeh posted:

I'm amazed at his 15 round revolver. Give me one of those
Date put a lot of upgrade points into capacity but forgot to upgrade damage and armor penetration.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fish Noise posted:

:v: Which a certain co-commentator talking about how dangerous the bo staff is in Warframe should have recognized!

I wasn't a hundred percent certain so I didn't mention the name :doh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You guys missed two key details in Nishiki’s change. One, he was about to commit seppuku (Japanese ritual suicide) when the jerk walked in and started mouthing off. Nishiki was too weak to kill himself but killing the jerk- no problem! And then 2. He uses the blood splatter to slick back his hair. Symbolism!

I’ll say more after I finish watching the video but so far I think the scene worked better for me than you. EDIT- ok, maybe you did get the symbolism. Ok. And Majima just keeps getting goofier. I think his giving up Pocket Circuit is probably more the shame of falling off his own special crazy course than losing to Kirryu though. :lol:

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 14, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This also helps bridge a line introduced in Yakuza 0, and one that sort of runs through the series but is REALLY a heavy influence in that game. That the act of killing is and of itself an act that fundamentally changes the kind of person that you are. Throughout the story, both Majima and Kiryu are pushed by outside forces to kill, both are driven to points in which they are about to go through with it, and both stopped. For Majima, what happened was not enough to sate his anguish and pain, and thus, his transformation was complete. For Kiryu, Nishiki stops him and lets him know that, if push comes to shove and they come to that line, they'd cross it together. There's a heavy emphasis on how the taking of a life was a very final thing.

Here, Nishiki mentions that having killed once, he can't see the weight in killing again, and so, does it. He killed Dojima without Kiryu at his side, and not that Dojima didn't deserve to die, but Nishiki crossed a line that cannot be uncrossed, and every event we've seen is the chipping away at what remains of the old Nishiki. Finally, having lost his sister, his unrequited love (Yumi) and his brother (Kiryu) Nishiki has nothing left. Every humiliation suffered for no reason, every time he bowed his head, without purpose.

Toshihiro Nagoshi has mentioned that, when it comes to Yakuza, he didn't want to glorify the thrill of committing a crime, not really understanding how one could look at such a vile act and derive pleasure from it. And you can see it both in how his protagonist's actions, and his villains.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
^^^^ A good analysis.

Really the only crime Yakuza glorifies is stealing bicycles for the express purpose of beatdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So someone did an interview with Darryl Kurlyo, Kiryu's English VA from this game, about his experience with the series, and its a pretty good read!

Also yeah, there's a lot to unpack with the new Nishiki stuff, and that's a pretty solid reading!