Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
drat, not even out of jail for a month and it's happened again? Kiryu's got one of those super-frameable faces, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Glazius posted:

drat, not even out of jail for a month and it's happened again? Kiryu's got one of those super-frameable faces, I suppose.
Dude is straight as an arrow (for being a Yakuza), which I guess makes him a prime target for setups. Unfortunatly that also means that whoever uses him for a patsy is about to find out that Kiryu is the human equivalent of a ton of bricks about to hit you.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The first person thing is used a total of once after the part where you're told to look at the portraits, you need to do it to get one of the collectibles off a tree branch.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sylphosaurus posted:

Dude is straight as an arrow (for being a Yakuza), which I guess makes him a prime target for setups. Unfortunatly that also means that whoever uses him for a patsy is about to find out that Kiryu is the human equivalent of a ton of bricks about to hit you.

Kiryu literally belongs in a God of War game, it boggles that mind that these people keep thinking they can get away with it. Yeah, I'll accept it in the first game, but by Yakuza 3? Come on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Kiryu literally belongs in a God of War game, it boggles that mind that these people keep thinking they can get away with it. Yeah, I'll accept it in the first game, but by Yakuza 3? Come on.

In Yakuza 3 he's just nice Mr Kazuma who runs the orphanarium on the beach.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Regardless of his rep, there are a hell of a lot of guys in Kamurocho who think it's a good idea to mug a furious-looking dude who's 6 foot 3 and built like a linebacker.

On the other hand, normal citizens in this town react to a giant brutal swordfight by gathering around to cheer and then, once the one guy has beaten the other 6 guys unconscious with a street sign, just getting on with their lives like nothing happened. Maybe there's something in the water.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

megane posted:

Regardless of his rep, there are a hell of a lot of guys in Kamurocho who think it's a good idea to mug a furious-looking dude who's 6 foot 3 and built like a linebacker.

On the other hand, normal citizens in this town react to a giant brutal swordfight by gathering around to cheer and then, once the one guy has beaten the other 6 guys unconscious with a street sign, just getting on with their lives like nothing happened. Maybe there's something in the water.

Everyone consistently gets back up and apologizes after the beatings, so the onlookers can be forgiven for assuming this is street theater.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

megane posted:

When push comes to shove, everyone is a stereotypical american high school student at heart.

Halospaz117
Sep 23, 2017
I think one of the PSP games actually establishes that the reason these random thugs seem to think that fighting Kiryu is a good idea is that it's actually some sort of hazing, where their higher ups go "Hey go mug this guy in a grey suit, he will be a real easy target, really"
Now these games are untranslated, so I've only heard this from word of mouth, so if I'm wrong feel free to correct me

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was intrigued by the highball you got in the last episode, so I looked it up. Apparently in Japan, a "highball" is whiskey and soda water. It's such a common drink that you can even buy canned versions at convenience stores, which cements Japan for me as the best country in the world.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

They also have killer bottled G&Ts.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The latest video shows off while I usually pack energy drinks over food in this game. It tells you how much health they give back and it makes more sense for Kiryu to be consuming them in intense situations.

Majima doesn’t show up at the funeral in the original game. We haven’t even seen his original fights yet. As you might expect, they’re beefed up for this game, like all the boss and other fights.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kiryu runs back into the room where Kazama is still bleeding out.

"I'm still alive....please, call an ambul--"

*jumps out window again*

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

And as a bonus I'm long overdue on, remember when I said you could overlay the PS2 dub on top of the Kiwami footage?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't understand why Kazama gave Nishiki such unruly subordinates. And personally, since it came first, I found that Thug style was way better in 0, since you could max its strength out way before the other ones and that made fighting Mr. Shakedowns even easier.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's actually pretty normal for prisoners to end up completely out of the loop on pop culture and technological advances. Newspapers and news stations don't exactly have articles on how cell phones are small now and everyone uses email, unless it's such a slow day that they can't think of anything else.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

It's actually pretty normal for prisoners to end up completely out of the loop on pop culture and technological advances. Newspapers and news stations don't exactly have articles on how cell phones are small now and everyone uses email, unless it's such a slow day that they can't think of anything else.

All I know is that everytime I see a Japanese newspaper I think its a novel. Also its Japan, why wouldn't they be reporting popular events like handheld gaming and new, smaller, more powerful phones in ads?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

All I know is that everytime I see a Japanese newspaper I think its a novel. Also its Japan, why wouldn't they be reporting popular events like handheld gaming and new, smaller, more powerful phones in ads?
That's hardly news in Japan--just a matter of course.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hirayuki posted:

That's hardly news in Japan--just a matter of course.

Even more reason for it to be common :colbert:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Dub Majima sounds like an outright villain, which makes sense if he only changed because he became a fan favorite. It also wasn't immediately apparent to me that Mark Hamill was doing the voice, so kudos to whoever decided not to have him just do The Joker.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

White Coke posted:

Dub Majima sounds like an outright villain, which makes sense if he only changed because he became a fan favorite. It also wasn't immediately apparent to me that Mark Hamill was doing the voice, so kudos to whoever decided not to have him just do The Joker.

Yeah, unlike a lot of celebrity dubbing Hamill's a professional voice actor and has quite a range when people don't want him to do the Joker (though Majima didn't sound particularly tricky, just not doing the Joker-voice). It's like Steve Blum and Wolverine.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, unlike a lot of celebrity dubbing Hamill's a professional voice actor and has quite a range when people don't want him to do the Joker (though Majima didn't sound particularly tricky, just not doing the Joker-voice). It's like Steve Blum and Wolverine Spike Spiegel.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Or the one German guy who does all the voices for Germans in ww2 games

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, unlike a lot of celebrity dubbing Hamill's a professional voice actor and has quite a range when people don't want him to do the Joker (though Majima didn't sound particularly tricky, just not doing the Joker-voice). It's like Steve Blum and Wolverine.

Yeah, if they'd kept dubbing the games, I'm sure Hamill would've adjusted his performance accordingly to make him more endearing.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

This owns.

https://twitter.com/en_yen/status/992106164950355968

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh hey, it's my dating pool.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh hey, it's my dating pool.

and my dead pool!

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

If it hasn't already been mentioned, in the old dub Detective Date was voiced by Bill Farmer aka Goofy. Hyuck.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eye isn't red enough, the eyepatch is on the wrong side, and she's not dressed like a police officer.

8.8/10

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Eye isn't red enough, the eyepatch is on the wrong side, and she's not dressed like a police officer.

8.8/10
I assumed the photo was taken in a mirror. :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Super Saiyajin Big Boss keeps appearing and kicking my rear end what do I do?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, if they'd kept dubbing the games, I'm sure Hamill would've adjusted his performance accordingly to make him more endearing.

Probably. Though Majima in the original first Yakuza was much more of an outright villain than later games made him out to be. I'm actually wondering if they're going to re-contextualize some of the later scenes in this game to account for the fact that Kiryu just runs into him all the time now.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

ChaosArgate posted:

And as a bonus I'm long overdue on, remember when I said you could overlay the PS2 dub on top of the Kiwami footage?

Hamill Majima in Kiwami glory :swoon:

Though now I wish the localization crew put some money aside so we can hear Hamill do the Majima Everywhere scenes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Didn’t have any Japanese whiskey, so I made a highball from Glenlivet 12.

It’s quite refreshing! You can easily knock back 5 if you wanted.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Probably. Though Majima in the original first Yakuza was much more of an outright villain than later games made him out to be. I'm actually wondering if they're going to re-contextualize some of the later scenes in this game to account for the fact that Kiryu just runs into him all the time now.

I'm not sure they really did a good job with reconciling original Majima and modern Majima, but they tried, I can say that much.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That fight with the thugs at the beginning reminds me of the bar fight in White Orchard in The Witcher 3, where they structure it specifically to show how strong witchers are compared to random dudes so you end up finishing the fight in about 5 seconds.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Goddamn, that dude at the end.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Expertly played Argate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The power walkers had weapons in the original version of the game. Seeing 5 guys walking towards you brandishing clubs is a pretty good way to know you got trouble coming, and it was amusing seeing them repeatedly try to run their injury con.