Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

SpyParty is a player vs. player competitive spy game. The game takes place in an upscale party with one player playing as the Spy mingling with the other guests inside, and one player playing as the sniper who has a view from outside.

Spyparty is available on STEAM early access for 25 bucks. It's been in development outside of STEAM for quite a while, and it seems like the playerbase is growing - with some newfound popularity on Twitch as well.

Some of the info below is blank - because I haven't personally had much runtime or am 100% positive on some of the mechanics. But it's fun as hell.

GAMEPLAY

Playing as the Spy you will be given missions to complete during the party. Missions are varied depending on what difficulty level you are playing on and the map. You may be tasked with such things as "seduce a target" requiring you to engage them in a seductive conversation several times, "replace a statue" which requires you to swap a small statue for a fake, or "bug the Ambassador" which requires you to grope them. All this you will be doing while trying to throw off, avoid, or otherwise confuse the sniper.

The Spy can see where the Sniper's screen is centered thanks to the latest in laser sighting technology.

Playing as the sniper your objective is to shoot the spy before the spy can complete their missions. Sounds simple, but it's really not. The Spy is thrown in amongst a host of NPC's who will mill around the party, talk to the Ambassador, check their watch, order drinks, pick up statues. Basically all the things the Spy will be doing. It's very challenging to try and pay attention to the sensory overload and pick up on the subtle clues which can lead you to the spy.

Victory Conditions
    The Spy will win if he completes his missions without running out of time, OR if the sniper shoots the wrong target.

The Sniper will win if he shoots the spy, OR if the spy runs out of time before he completes all the missions.

(Note: This means that you DO NOT have to shoot someone as the time ticks down)

Spy Objectives
  • Swap the Statue:
    This can be one of the most tricky objectives to accomplish. Several maps have statues which can be picked up, inspected, and put back, or swapped for a fake! There are three statue models. When the spy swaps the statue, the model will randomly change to a different one than the original. What makes this hard to pull off is that MOST snipers will memorize the statues at game outset and be hyper attentive to anyone handling them.

• Bug the Ambassador:
    When close to the Ambassador, the Spy will reach out as if patting their rear for a moment. It's very subtle and easy to miss unless the Sniper is fixating on the Ambassador. I think it's one of the easiest missions to pull off.

• Contact the Double-Agent:
    At the party, there will be a "double agent" cast member. The sniper may have potential double-agents highlighted - while the Spy knows the real one. (Number of potential double agents the sniper sees depends on map) While in conversation, the Spy can contact him and the phrase "banana bread" will be uttered. The sniper will hear this as well, and be able to deduce that the spy is one of the people conversing. This can be done as a "fake" as well - possibly tricking the sniper into focusing on the wrong people.

• Inspect Statues
    As simple as it sounds, this objective only requires the spy to pick up and inspect the statues similar to as an NPC would. Very difficult for the sniper to pick up on.

• Fingerprint the Ambassador:
    For this mission you need to lift fingerprints two times from objects the ambassador recently touched. If the ambassador puts away a book or gets a drink from Toby then fingerprints are left behind. If you're the next person to do that interaction, you get the fingerprints for free with no action test. If you're the second next person to the interaction, then to lift the prints you need to pass an action test that can only succeed on a perfect (green). The prints are gone after the second patron. An alternative source of fingerprints is to lift prints while returning the ambassador's briefcase, as they tend to absentmindedly leave it lying around. The AI behavior for returning with the briefcase is fairly weird, however, so it's sorta guaranteed to look suspicious.

• Transfer Microfilm
    For this mission you need to transfer microfilm from one bookcase to another. Which bookcases don't matter, they just need to be different. There are two ways to do this; one is to retrieve the microfilm while reading a book and then sliding it in while reading at the other case. Both actions have a hard-tell animation of the spy moving their hand from their waist to the book, and depending on the action test success it can be quite blatant. The other option is to take the whole book with you and slide it into a different bookshelf. NPCs can and will carry books around, but they will never put one inside a different bookshelf. Books are grey by default, but the sniper can mark them with a color to keep track and make swapping it much more dangerous. Once a book is put away the mark and color are removed.

• Purloin the Guest List
    While getting a drink from Toby, you have an option to take the guest list he has sitting on his tray. The mission is complete right away, but you can optionally put the guest list back afterwards. If the sniper noticed the missing list then returning it is extra danger for no reason, but if they didn't notice then you can get away with a mission scott free. This is different for when Toby is at a bar. In that case he keeps the list in his pocket and takes it out when serving. You can pocket the list at the bar yourself, or you can go to a conversation circle and make the nearest NPC go steal it for you. In either case the list cannot be returned to bartender Toby.

• Seduce a target
    This one requires you to seduce a particular target in conversation. Seduction depends on proximity - up to ~33% completion per seduction action. There is a short cooldown which goes faster if you put some distance between yourself and the target between seduction attempts.[/u]

• Adding time
    Not a Mission per se, but the Spy can add time to the round by glancing at his watch at a window tile. It can be obvious to a Sniper who's paying attention - but if there are other things happening it can also be missed very easily.

Action Tests
Action tests were inspired by, of all things, Gears of War's active reloads.
    Here's the list of Action Tests and results:

quote:

(The action in question)

(G) Green - "Nailing" the prompt

(W) White - Getting the prompt within the successful band.

(R) Red - Missing the successful part of the prompt

(C) Cancelled - Doing nothing or moving to cancel

Contact Double Agent
    (G)= No talk animation, can move immediately, contact success
    (W)= Talk animation, contact success
    (R)= Audible cough, contact fail
    (C)= Audible cough (x2?), contact fail

Fingerprint Ambassador
    (G)= Prints lifted
    (W)= N/A
    (R)= Prints ruined
    (C)= Prints not lifted (If statue: prints ruined and statue dropped with audible clang)

Inspect Statues
    (G)= Fast inspection
    (W)= Normal inspection
    (R)= Slow inspection
    (C)= Statue dropped with audible clang

Purloin Guest List
    (G)= Completed by next NPC to get drink
    (W)= Normal (list fades)
    (R)= List blinks several times before fading
    (C)= Audible crash

Seduce Target
    (G)= Flirt effective (51% max)
    (W)= Flirt less effective (33% max)
    (R)= Flirt target leaves conversation
    (C)= Nothing happens

Swap Statue
    (G)= Completed by next NPC to handle statue
    (W)= Statue changes in hands
    (R)= Statue changes in hands several times

Add Time
    (G)= Time dilates for the sniper (slows down)
    (W)= Time adds immediately
    (R)= Time adds immediately with beep
    (C)= Beep with no time add

Transfer the Microfilm
    (G)= Subtle animation on transfer
    (W)= Less subtle animation on transfer
    (R)= Obvious animation on transfer
    (C)= Your Spy raises his arms and yells "I'm the SPY!" (or might as well) with no transfer.

These are available on "experienced" mode and are awesome to play around with. Nailing a prompt for a statue swap, for example, can be incredibly effective as the sniper is very likely to shoot the NPC who handled it. Other actions become much more subtle when you get the green prompt.

These actions open up the opportunities for some advanced plays:

Banana Split: You drop contact (or fake contact) double agent and green prompt it. This enables you to immediately walk away from the conversation - giving you a good shot at a sniper lowlight. A very attentive sniper may sniff this out, and instead highlight you.

Fake Banana Split: Same as a Banana split, EXCEPT you stay in conversation and immediately Red prompt a seduction attempt. This will cause your seduction target to walk away - in an attempt to get the sniper to think the seduction target just did the banana split.

Framing: Framing is a strategy to try and convince the sniper that an NPC is the spy. For example, you could delegate a guest list purloin to your seduction target, then execute a fake banana split. Alternately you could green prompt a statue or (Waiter Toby) guest list and see who triggers the action. You can then execute a banana split with that NPC in the conversation circle, hopefully marking them as suspicious.

Sniper Objectives

Your only objective as Sniper is to shoot the Spy, but there are several mechanics to discuss which are of use:

• Highlighting
    With this action, the sniper can flag a partygoer as suspicious and "Highlight" them for a closer watch. Some things that can earn a Spy the dreaded "highlight" is hanging out near the Ambassador too much, the Sniper noticing time added when the Spy may have been close / near a window, a "banana bread" call when there's only a few people in conversation, etc. Highlighting is a way to track your "top suspects."

Lowlighting
    Lowlighting is a method to tune out party goers which are considered to be ruled out as a suspect to the Sniper. For example, if a "banana bread" call goes out, the sniper can lowlight anyone NOT in conversation. The sniper can also lowlight the "actors" who will never be the Spy - which include double agent suspects, the Ambassador, the security guard (Damon) and the waiter (Toby).

Shooting
    When the sniper is confident he as fingered the Spy, he can take the safety off his rifle and assassinate the party goer he thinks is the Spy. If he's wrong, he loses. One shot, one kill, one chance.

Spy Tips
  • Be careful how you walk, walk with a purpose. Choose the next floor "tile" you are going to stand on and proceed there directly. Do not loiter outside of tiles, you will stand out. NPCs don't mill around aimlessly or change direction or serpentine. Walk like them.

• If the sniper laser sight is on you, do not panic. Proceed to do whatever it is you were doing. Just don't do anything spy like, like swap a statue. Inspect the statue, put it down, move on and come back later.

• Be wary of a drink in your hand. Certain actions require both hands to complete, and you can't do it while you have a drink. Drinks can also be a "tell" for a Spy which has recently purloined the guest list.

• The beginner maps are notorious for being difficult for statue swaps - as there are few of them and it stick out a bit more due to the geometry. The street corner bar in particular is hard to successfully swap on. Beginner maps always have a statue swap - so don't be discouraged if you get sniped when you are practicing this mode.

• The opening of the map is very chaotic, and the snipers are usually trying to memorize the statue. It's a good chance to get something done, such as bugging the ambassador or obtaining the guest list. If you find you constantly run out of time, adding time might go completely unnoticed here.

• Making contact with the double agent allows the sniper to eliminate (lowlight) targets - so saving it for last is a good strategy. Experienced snipers may take a late "banana bread" call as a prompt to shoot their top suspect, as they can expect it was the last mission and the Spy is about to win. This can be used against the sniper, if you are running out of time and you don't think you're suspicious.

Sniper Tips

• Use your highlights and lowlights so your brain doesn't have to work so hard.

• YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SHOOT SOMEONE A timeout is a lost for the spy, not a loss for the sniper. As the timer ticks down, be on the lookout for a spy who's panic rushing objectives or trying to add time.

• Try to memorize the statue orientation right off. Many spy's will try to "rush" the statues as it is the most difficult task usually, and the opening scene chaos gives them a good window to pull a swap off before you memorize the statues.

Gameplay Videos

Links
http://spyparty.wikia.com/wiki/SpyParty_Wiki
http://www.spyparty.com/

Thanks to Pigbuster for filling in what I am too noobish to comment on!

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

This game looks right up my alley (loved games like The Ship or Assassin's Creed MP) but I have to ask - how 'samey' does it get? I can imagine as the sniper things are more varied as different people playing Spy act in different ways, but as a Spy really you're doing the same thing over and over and just hoping the sniper you got paired against isn't as good, no?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

tote up a bags posted:

This game looks right up my alley (loved games like The Ship or Assassin's Creed MP) but I have to ask - how 'samey' does it get? I can imagine as the sniper things are more varied as different people playing Spy act in different ways, but as a Spy really you're doing the same thing over and over and just hoping the sniper you got paired against isn't as good, no?

I confess that my playtime has been limited - but from what I can tell the maps and the randomness of how the NPC's behave give you plenty of "dynamic" to the party.

For example, one round I was sniper literally EVERY STATUE was immediately grabbed by NPCs. There was no chance I could keep track of every one at every time, and I was left confused and dismayed 20 seconds in because I had no idea if the swap happened.

As the Spy, you have to capitalize on situations. You can't just decide "I'll run over here and do this now." You have to wait for good opportunities. Is the sniper staring at the other end of the ballroom? Might be a good time to bug the ambassador. Were you about to swap the statue when the laser sight suddenly appeared on your face? Might be a good time to walk away calmly and order a drink. Is literally every NPC in conversation? Great time for a banana bread.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I bought this game probably about ~2 years ago after seeing it at PAX when he first started selling the game. I found it really fun at PAX, but once people were really good in the community, there just wasn't a good space for newbies to come in and have fun.

I played several games after taking a couple of months off from it and just got instantly sniped for silly mistakes that every beginner would make, and no beginner would pick up on. For example I recall a guy once told me that I walked to the book case picked up then returned a book, and then walked to talk to people, but in the current programming an NPC would never do that. So he shot me within a minute of the beginning of the game.

It also looked nothing like the screenshots above at the time.

Looking to get back into this with new blood to be bad with!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I bought this game probably about ~2 years ago after seeing it at PAX when he first started selling the game. I found it really fun at PAX, but once people were really good in the community, there just wasn't a good space for newbies to come in and have fun.

I played several games after taking a couple of months off from it and just got instantly sniped for silly mistakes that every beginner would make, and no beginner would pick up on. For example I recall a guy once told me that I walked to the book case picked up then returned a book, and then walked to talk to people, but in the current programming an NPC would never do that. So he shot me within a minute of the beginning of the game.

It also looked nothing like the screenshots above at the time.

Looking to get back into this with new blood to be bad with!

I think they updated the graphics at some point not so long ago.

The game has been in development for several years - at least as long as StarCitizen - but they look very mature at this point and closer to a "full release"

If you look at the player population, it's had some very healthy growth the past few weeks. It's been steadily climbing the Twitch charts as well - I think the STEAM release may catch some lightning in the bottle for them.

This is all good because I am also bad and need to play other bad people.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I got brave and played a few games today. Bought it months ago but hadn't opened it until yesterday.

My first game I obviously switched the statues and the sniper misclicked on the guy in front of me.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Zesty posted:

I got brave and played a few games today. Bought it months ago but hadn't opened it until yesterday.

My first game I obviously switched the statues and the sniper misclicked on the guy in front of me.

:discourse:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I think they updated the graphics at some point not so long ago.

The game has been in development for several years - at least as long as StarCitizen - but they look very mature at this point and closer to a "full release"

If you look at the player population, it's had some very healthy growth the past few weeks. It's been steadily climbing the Twitch charts as well - I think the STEAM release may catch some lightning in the bottle for them.

This is all good because I am also bad and need to play other bad people.

Logged into my beta account. I said like 2 years ago, turns out my stats page notes I started up in August of 2012... I can't believe it was that god drat long ago, and apparently I was so jaded by my experience I barely put any time into the game. :(

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Is there a sensitivity slider anywhere? In game sensitivity is really high compared to menu speeds.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
This game is bloody amazing and you should all buy & play it.

Typo in the OP btw, 'perloin' -> 'purloin'

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Forgot that I heard at PAX East that this game was actually being released to a full audience. I hope it takes off, it's fun as hell to watch.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Osmosisch posted:

Typo in the OP btw, 'perloin' -> 'purloin'

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Any info on when those of us who have owned it for five years get Steam keys? Dude emailed a few days back saying he'd have another email with details "tomorrow."

I know his standing answer is "as soon as we have the ability to" but I was wondering if he made mention elsewhere.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
I'm pretty on the fence due to the price tag and it looking like not a lot changes from playing game to game. How long is everyone's average playtime? Is online the best way to get the full experience of this game?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I didn't realize there was a thread for this, I picked this up last night and while I had fun I am not sure if I'm going to keep it in its' current state. It looks a hell of a lot more polished than the early screenshots I remember seeing years back and I applaud him for that but there's still so much that feels unfinished (I know, it's still EA so it is literally unfinished but even so..). I know there's been a small but dedicated fanbase for this through the years but I don't see this setting the steam charts on fire, especially not as it is. Seems like maybe a hard sell for the general public at $25, even though it's a more than fair asking price for an independently developed title these days.

While I've only done a few games so far I have gravitated towards swapping the statues as the easiest part to identify by far. Finding seduction targets seems almost impossible to me and have had good success just watching the statues constantly and using the other clues to lowlight when I can. This works against me too though as most games I can't find the opportunity to swap the statues without the sniper seeing it. I think I only won once as a spy and it was when I started in front of the statue and swapped them out instantly. Any ideas how to not stand out like a sore thumb while doing this? I feel like it's best to do early before the sniper's already ruled out a bunch of guests.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 13, 2018

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Basically you want to be playing on a higher difficulty than Beginner so you can just ignore the statues unless there's an opportunity.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
On intermediate difficulty it gets much easier for spy and harder for sniper. You get objectives such as "inspect statues" with seduction and contacting double agent. On the pub map the "inspect statue" objective requires only ONE statue to be inspected - so the rest is gravy.

Ironically this also means that the sniper is paying LESS attention to the statues, as he considers it a lost cause and that you will take the easiest objectives. So it becomes easier to swap as well!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Just picked this up and I'm really surprised by how compelling and fun it is. A definite "just one more game" type experience. I'm still on beginner but having fun!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
How do you set your username? I'm tired of being steam numbers. 'Prompt for Username' doesn't seem to do anything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can the sniper and spy trashtalk each other during the match

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Yeah, there's in-game text speech and 90% of people chat about what they did right/wrong between games. poo poo-talking mid match is rare because the sniper will be able to mark all the NPC's who weren't actively doing poo poo, unless you are the most dope mis-director of all time.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Here's some descriptions for the stuff the OP's missing. Kinda wordy but they're complicated and I'm sleepy.
    For this mission you need to lift fingerprints two times from objects the ambassador recently touched. If the ambassador puts away a book or gets a drink from Toby then fingerprints are left behind. If you're the next person to do that interaction, you get the fingerprints for free with no action test. If you're the second next person to the interaction, then to lift the prints you need to pass an action test that can only succeed on a perfect (green). The prints are gone after the second patron. An alternative source of fingerprints is to lift prints while returning the ambassador's briefcase, as they tend to absentmindedly leave it lying around. The AI behavior for returning with the briefcase is fairly weird, however, so it's sorta guaranteed to look suspicious.

• Transfer Microfilm
    For this mission you need to transfer microfilm from one bookcase to another. Which bookcases don't matter, they just need to be different. There are two ways to do this; one is to retrieve the microfilm while reading a book and then sliding it in while reading at the other case. Both actions have a hard-tell animation of the spy moving their hand from their waist to the book, and depending on the action test success it can be quite blatant. The other option is to take the whole book with you and slide it into a different bookshelf. NPCs can and will carry books around, but they will never put one inside a different bookshelf. Books are grey by default, but the sniper can mark them with a color to keep track and make swapping it much more dangerous. Once a book is put away the mark and color are removed.

• Purloin the Guest List
    While getting a drink from Toby, you have an option to take the guest list he has sitting on his tray. The mission is complete right away, but you can optionally put the guest list back afterwards. If the sniper noticed the missing list then returning it is extra danger for no reason, but if they didn't notice then you can get away with a mission scott free. This is different for when Toby is at a bar. In that case he keeps the list in his pocket and takes it out when serving. You can pocket the list at the bar yourself, or you can go to a conversation circle and make the nearest NPC go steal it for you. In either case the list cannot be returned to bartender Toby.

Action Tests
Action tests were inspired by, of all things, Gears of War's active reloads. For most cases you can just let the bar expire and you'll be okay, but if you're feeling sassy you can go for the green test to get a better result.
  • White section/letting the bar run out: Ordinary result. Purloined guest lists will slowly fade out, statues will morph into another, the spy will put microfilm into their pocket. Many of these actions are hard tells if the sniper is looking directly at you. Fingerprinting is the only action that you can't ; you need to click for that.

• Green section: Desirable result. If you nail the tiny window then you essentially just do the action better; flirt harder, inspect faster, etc. Some actions are more interesting. For statue swaps/list purloins you make it so it'll only swap/disappear when the next NPC interacts with it. It swaps/disappears much faster than it does on a white test, so if the sniper's looking right at the spot and can remember that you were the previous patron then they can link it back to you. Green testing Contact Double Agent means your spy doesn't do a talking animation, and can thus leave the conversation circle immediately after the Banana Bread. This can give you a lowlight as it can seem like you aren't in a circle during the BB, though pro snipers have learned to be suspicious of anyone who bolts immediately like that. Green testing a Time Add makes it so the timer doesn't jump 45 seconds, but instead slows down, essentially adding that same 45 seconds but invisibly. The sniper can still potentially notice the time dilation but it's much more subtle.

• Red section: Sloppy result. The mission is completed (apart from fingerprints), but in an obvious way. Statue swaps/list purloins will flash a couple times, rather than just fading out. Microfilm Transfers are fumbled with a noticable animation. Flirt targets are insulted and instantly leave the conversation. Banana Breads have a cough sound & animation afterwards, a total dead giveaway.

• Cancelling by moving away: Godawful result. If you cancel an action by moving away not only will you usually not complete the mission, but you'll usually get a penalty that's way worse than even the red test. Cancelled statue actions will drop them with a loud clang, and cancelled purloins will make a loud crash sound out from Toby's tray. Cancelled Contacts can still be complete as long as Banana Bread was said, but moving before getting the option to "stop talking" will make you cough. Cancelling flirts is the one exception; it doesn't have a penalty.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Pigbuster posted:

Here's some descriptions for the stuff the OP's missing. Kinda wordy but they're complicated and I'm sleepy.

• Transfer Microfilm

• Purloin the Guest List

Action Tests
Action tests were inspired by, of all things, Gears of War's active reloads. For most cases you can just let the bar expire and you'll be okay, but if you're feeling sassy you can go for the green test to get a better result.
  • White section/letting the bar run out: Ordinary result. Purloined guest lists will slowly fade out, statues will morph into another, the spy will put microfilm into their pocket. Many of these actions are hard tells if the sniper is looking directly at you. Fingerprinting is the only action that you can't ; you need to click for that.

• Green section: Desirable result. If you nail the tiny window then you essentially just do the action better; flirt harder, inspect faster, etc. Some actions are more interesting. For statue swaps/list purloins you make it so it'll only swap/disappear when the next NPC interacts with it. It swaps/disappears much faster than it does on a white test, so if the sniper's looking right at the spot and can remember that you were the previous patron then they can link it back to you. Green testing Contact Double Agent means your spy doesn't do a talking animation, and can thus leave the conversation circle immediately after the Banana Bread. This can give you a lowlight as it can seem like you aren't in a circle during the BB, though pro snipers have learned to be suspicious of anyone who bolts immediately like that. Green testing a Time Add makes it so the timer doesn't jump 45 seconds, but instead slows down, essentially adding that same 45 seconds but invisibly. The sniper can still potentially notice the time dilation but it's much more subtle.

• Red section: Sloppy result. The mission is completed (apart from fingerprints), but in an obvious way. Statue swaps/list purloins will flash a couple times, rather than just fading out. Microfilm Transfers are fumbled with a noticable animation. Flirt targets are insulted and instantly leave the conversation. Banana Breads have a cough sound & animation afterwards, a total dead giveaway.

• Cancelling by moving away: Godawful result. If you cancel an action by moving away not only will you usually not complete the mission, but you'll usually get a penalty that's way worse than even the red test. Cancelled statue actions will drop them with a loud clang, and cancelled purloins will make a loud crash sound out from Toby's tray. Cancelled Contacts can still be complete as long as Banana Bread was said, but moving before getting the option to "stop talking" will make you cough. Cancelling flirts is the one exception; it doesn't have a penalty.

Good stuff, added to OP. Didn't want to comment on stuff I still hadn't had any experience with.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
In intermediate difficulty can I not plant a bug while walking past the ambassador? Is that only in experienced? Also why sometimes does a cooldown period occur for the mission even if I haven't been near the ambassador or done anything?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Knifegrab posted:

In intermediate difficulty can I not plant a bug while walking past the ambassador? Is that only in experienced? Also why sometimes does a cooldown period occur for the mission even if I haven't been near the ambassador or done anything?

I don't think you can, and I think the "cooldown" display is actually the action animation itself. I managed to play some with that setting last night and doing a drive-by bug is satisfying and subtle AF.

e: from the wiki:

quote:

To bug the ambassador in conversation, the spy must stand in a conversation circle close to the ambassador (who is usually, but not necessarily, in the same conversation circle as well), then select the "Plant Bug on Ambassador" action. The action looks like the spy briefly grabbing the ambassador's rear. The circle beneath the Ambassador will be completely filled when you are close enough to him.

While walking, the spy can bug the ambassador simply by getting close to them and selecting the "Start Planting Bug on Ambassador" action when it appears. Typically, this is done while walking past the ambassador (the "drive-by"), but can also be done while the ambassador walks past the spy (the "reverse drive-by"), or when both are walking. The spy can start the action a few steps away from the ambassador, but must be right next to them when their arm is fully extended for the bug to succeed. The spy will extend their arm out at an angle to perform the bug, as shown in the image above. This action takes longer than the conversation bug.

With both bug methods, the spy will see a meter at the upper-left filling while the action is performed. A conversation bug will fail if the spy moves. A walking bug will fail if the spy doesn't get close enough to the ambassador at the peak of the animation, or goes out of range too quickly. The ambassador leaving bug range will fail either kind of bug. There is no consequence for failure other than giving a hard tell without accomplishing the mission.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 15, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Here's the list of Action Tests and results which I'll add to OP:

quote:

(The action in question)

(G) Green - "Nailing" the prompt

(W) White - Getting the prompt within the successful band.

(R) Red - Missing the successful part of the prompt

(C) Cancelled - Doing nothing or moving to cancel

Contact Double Agent
(G)= No talk animation, can move immediately, contact success
(W)= Talk animation, contact success
(R)= Audible cough, contact fail
(C)= Audible cough (x2?), contact fail

Fingerprint Ambassador
(G)= Prints lifted
(W)= N/A
(R)= Prints ruined
(C)= Prints not lifted (If statue: prints ruined and statue dropped with audible clang)

Inspect Statues
(G)= Fast inspection
(W)= Normal inspection
(R)= Slow inspection

Purloin Guest List
(G)= Completed by next NPC to get drink
(W)= Normal (list fades)
(R)= List blinks several times before fading
(C)= Audible crash

Seduce Target
(G)= Flirt effective (51% max)
(W)= Flirt less effective (33% max)
(R)= Flirt target leaves conversation
(C)= Nothing happens

Swap Statue
(G)= Completed by next NPC to handle statue
(W)= Statue changes in hands
(R)= Statue changes in hands several times

Add Time
(G)= Time dilates for the sniper (slows down)
(W)= Time adds immediately
(R)= Time adds immediately with beep
(C)= Beep with no time add

Transfer the Microfilm
(G)= Subtle animation on transfer
(W)= Less subtle animation on transfer
(R)= Obvious animation on transfer
(C)= Your Spy raises his arms and yells "I'm the SPY!" (or might as well) with no transfer.

These are available on "experienced" mode and are awesome to play around with. Nailing a prompt for a statue swap, for example, can be incredibly effective as the sniper is very likely to shoot the NPC who handled it. Other actions become much more subtle when you get the green prompt.

These actions open up the opportunities for some advanced plays:

Banana Split: You drop contact (or fake contact) double agent and green prompt it. This enables you to immediately walk away from the conversation - giving you a good shot at a sniper lowlight. A very attentive sniper may sniff this out, and instead highlight you.

Fake Banana Split: Same as a Banana split, EXCEPT you stay in conversation and immediately Red prompt a seduction attempt. This will cause your seduction target to walk away - in an attempt to get the sniper to think the seduction target just did the banana split.

Framing: Framing is a strategy to try and convince the sniper that an NPC is the spy. For example, you could delegate a guest list purloin to your seduction target, then execute a fake banana split. Alternately you could green prompt a statue or (Waiter Toby) guest list and see who triggers the action. You can then execute a banana split with that NPC in the conversation circle, hopefully marking them as suspicious.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 16, 2018

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I got this game yesterday after watching some streams. I like it a lot - it has a surprising amount of depth to it, and even better, there is a very good natural learning curve. There are plenty of new players as a result of the Early Access release, and the existing community is the best I have seen yet in an online game, so now is a good time to jump in, if anyone is on the fence.

There are just a couple of things I feel should have probably been communicated better:

* You can (and should) change the difficulty as the spy. The format of beginner mode guarantees a sniper win. That's not an exaggeration - a sniper with a couple of games under their belt can enjoy a 100% win-rate by watching for a statue swap. It's also very dull for that sniper. So, switch to intermediate after your second or third win if you want to have fun.

* Some maps are only available on higher difficulties.

* In experienced mode, each spy action triggers a small quick time event - a cursor moves on a bar and you need to click to stop it on the red, white or green section. Red makes your action worse in some way (obvious animation, seduction/inspection takes longer, etc.) white is the default effect and green makes your action better - in some cases, there is a subtler animation but in others it appears to the sniper as if another character did the action which is huge. You can also ignore the quick time event entirely and get the white effect (as far as I can tell).

* In maps with a bartender, you can delegate the purloin guest list action to another character by selecting "delegate" and talking to that character within 60 seconds (IIRC).

There is also no background music.

Overall, the game is top notch even at this early stage. I would absolutely recommend it if you have the slightest bit of interest.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Yesterday I executed a perfect banana split while my seduction target was in conversation with the Double Agent.

Later, I delegated a purloin to the same target and the sniper took the shot.

The only thing better than getting a Spy win with a lowlight is successfully framing someone while you do it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pigbuster posted:

.Green testing a Time Add makes it so the timer doesn't jump 45 seconds, but instead slows down, essentially adding that same 45 seconds but invisibly. The sniper can still potentially notice the time dilation but it's much more subtle.

This is the coolest loving thing. Wow.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't know when it happened, but the Steam link from the website was finally added.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is the coolest loving thing. Wow.

It's important because snipers have *very* limited time to monitor any given event. If you aren't suspicious, most snipers will simply glance up at the time as you check your watch - to make sure time wasn't added. To detect a time dilation - you have to look for a few seconds to verify. Those few seconds could be a missed purloin, bug, etc.

Plus you feel so loving smooth when you nail an action prompt.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So is anyone playing rn?

E: I guess that's a stupid question because if they were, they wouldn't be reading this thread.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 20, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Applewhite posted:

So is anyone playing rn?

E: I guess that's a stupid question because if they were, they wouldn't be reading this thread.

I'll be on tonight if anyone's interested in playing.

My STEAM name is "Tinfoil Papercut" if you can believe that.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I got this game around two weeks ago and I’m loving it for a few reasons:

- The community is super friendly and will give you feedback about what made you lose.
- The games are short (~5 mins each) so you can still fully enjoy the game is you’re time-poor.
- The netcode is really good and the nature of the game isn’t latency dependent so it’s easy to find people to play with.
- The premise of the game is really interesting and unlike anything I’ve played before.

I highly recommend buying this game. Play the tutorial and turn up the difficulty once you’re consistently winning as sniper (i.e. once you figure out camping the statue swap is an effective strategy). The difficulty names are a bit misleading because experienced is really the normal difficulty. I’d also recommend reviewing the spy tasks and animations in the dossier in the pause menu to get a good idea of what the hard tells look like (e.g. bugging the ambassador).

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I've been playing this since it came out and am up to Experienced and once you get good at the green tests the game gets a whole lot harder for the sniper, but they are still competitive. When you do a drive by on the ambassador with something blocking the snipers vision it feels really smooth.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Well if no one is going to talk about this game I'm just going to have to talk about it to myself :colbert:

I only just discovered in library there is a window pad facing away from the sniper on the left side of the map. Very useful!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I still haven't gotten the email about redeeming my old beta on Steam...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
I'm not sure an email ever went out, but you can still get your Steam copy right now by linking your account: http://www.spyparty.com/2018/04/16/spyparty-com-to-steam-account-linking-enabled/

• Locked thread