Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I looked into those NFC cards from Moo for work. IIRC the circuitry is printed in some metallic ink which is cool, but you're stuck using their URL redirection service which may not be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i’m gonna get some of these made up so i’m not a fool for not having a card, but also have the coolest cards on the block

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tdy6IIXhgY

if it runs out of battery power, well i guess you won’t be able to read the card, oh well lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wellington Ma's business card was a rectangular slice of pink synthetic quartz, laser-engraved with his name, 'The Ma-Mariano Agency,' an address on Beverly Boulevard, and all kinds of numbers and e-mail addresses. It arrived by GlobEx in its own little gray suede envelope while Rydell was still in the hospital.

'Looks like you could cut yourself on it,' Rydell said.

'You could, many no doubt have,' said Karen Mendelsohn, 'and if you put it in your wallet and sit down, it shatters.'

'Then what's the point of it?'

'You're supposed to take very good care of it. You won't get another.'

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i just have regular business cards on nice heavy card stock from a local printer. digital printing just looks like poo poo though no matter what

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

infernal machines posted:

i just have regular business cards on nice heavy card stock from a local printer. digital printing just looks like poo poo though no matter what

yeah analog printing has a warmth to it you can’t see in digital printing

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the business card scene in american psycho , but with him losing it over perfect qr code placement and the terminal-friendly font on the bitcoin address

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJEErf9bZWM

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

:yosnice:

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

yeah analog printing has a warmth to it you can’t see in digital printing

lp0 on 100 stock

no kidding though a nice ultra matte and good colors can make for memorable cards

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i went to a gis meetup the other day. it was fun and everyone had lots of laughs. :yayclod:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

President Beep posted:

i went to a gis meetup the other day. it was fun and everyone had lots of laughs. :yayclod:

noice. the worst freebie I’ve ever seen was from one of those (a shirt that says “I G.I.S.ed my pants!!!” with a polygon and points)

tech meet ups can be fun, an excuse to get drunk and eat pizza for free, and chat shop poo poo. ‘bad ideas’ hackathons are cool too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I went to a Lisp meetup once

learned some cool stuff about the little Lisp this dude created for the ESP8266

then I recognized a homeless neofascist dumbshit who has tried to take over others’ projects and who unironically tells them they’re not worth listening to because they’re not millionaires, he sounded like exactly as much of a weenie as I expected

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

OldAlias posted:

noice. the worst freebie I’ve ever seen was from one of those (a shirt that says “I G.I.S.ed my pants!!!” with a polygon and points)

jfc :rolleyes:

i knew a lot of the people through work or school, as the gis community in southwest michigan is relatively tight knit. it was super laid back and casual. a+ would attend agian.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I have an Azure bootcamp on this upcoming Saturday. I dunno, I'm running low on t-shirts?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i have some business cards, but i dont like to give them to people

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
same. as a general rule i don't want people contacting me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
people seem really annoyed sometimes when I don’t have cards and won’t otherwise give them my direct contact information while working a lab at the conference, and instead refer them to the lists, forums, and DTS

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

power botton posted:

All the artistry of live coding is gone. People just record git commits and play them back in front of an audience. its more about the drugs than the code it feels.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

eschaton posted:

then I recognized a homeless neofascist dumbshit who has tried to take over others’ projects and who unironically tells them they’re not worth listening to because they’re not millionaires, he sounded like exactly as much of a weenie as I expected

i'm working on some lisp atm, figured it was time to learn the grandaddy of languages. everything old is new again.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Tom Collins posted:

i'm working on some lisp atm, figured it was time to learn the grandaddy of languages. everything old is new again.

maybe you should write a retrospective

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i’m hosting a meetup next month

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Azure bootcamp all-day tomorrow then an AWS meetup next week!

Gonna get so many fukkin t-shirts and eat so fukkin much lovely pizza!

:woop:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

i’m hosting a meetup next month

the pissburgh yosmeet

host it at a primanti broz plz

e: graph lets carpool ok

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Azure bootcamp all-day tomorrow then an AWS meetup next week!

Gonna get so many fukkin t-shirts and eat so fukkin much lovely pizza!

:woop:

Or not. The coworker (who I suspect may have a substance-abuse disorder :() called me at 0415 to get online to cover him and hasn't been seen since.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Or not. The coworker (who I suspect may have a substance-abuse disorder :() called me at 0415 to get online to cover him and hasn't been seen since.

Made it to the Azure Bootcamp but the AWS meetup is on Wednesday which is class day. poo poo.

E: Never mind, it’s on Tuesday not Wednesday! :woop:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

well aren’t we quite the social butterfly????

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

maybe you should write a retrospective

:xd:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I wanna take you to a meetup meetup meetup

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

see that goon
watch that screen
he’s a meetup king

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
we come from the land of the gadget show
from the midday brunch, and the dumb tech bro

hammer of the gods
will put our tech in new hands
to get more cores
we sing and cry

tech meetup i am coming

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Doc Block posted:

we come from the land of the gadget show
from the midday brunch, and the dumb tech bro

hammer of the gods
will put our tech in new hands
to get more cores
we sing and cry

tech meetup i am coming

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also change iyg to that first line, if only because the whole thing is too long for a forum title

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Two to the one, from the one to the three
I like lean startups and I like r trees
got so much tech, you wouldn't believe
And I got mo' PRs than a good kitty

Three to the one, from the one to the three
I met a 10x last night in the ME
Let me tell you how I made him leave with me:
Conversation and Disrupting

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Skim Milk posted:

the pissburgh yosmeet

host it at a primanti broz plz

e: graph lets carpool ok

only coming if its at primanti's

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

ADINSX posted:

:golfclap:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

:tviv:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

i actually have met 3 homeless neofascist dumbshit lispers in my life

i dunno wtf is with these peeps but there are way too many goddamn neofascist lispers

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

President Beep posted:

see that goon
watch that screen
he’s a meetup king

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ADINSX posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

qirex posted:

Wellington Ma's business card was a rectangular slice of pink synthetic quartz, laser-engraved with his name, 'The Ma-Mariano Agency,' an address on Beverly Boulevard, and all kinds of numbers and e-mail addresses. It arrived by GlobEx in its own little gray suede envelope while Rydell was still in the hospital.

'Looks like you could cut yourself on it,' Rydell said.

'You could, many no doubt have,' said Karen Mendelsohn, 'and if you put it in your wallet and sit down, it shatters.'

'Then what's the point of it?'

'You're supposed to take very good care of it. You won't get another.'

sounds just like William ”Bill” Gibson.

• Locked thread