Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
like most tech ideas iot is dogshit garbage for assholes who think everything needs to be more complicated for no reason. 99 times out of 100 whatever you're using it for will be better off never touching the public internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but at least now there's a turnkey way to pay subscription fees to microsoft to run your toaster's analytics in azure

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the best episode of curb your enthusiasm there ever was

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

I’ll be 100% honest, I don’t see how IoT is valuable outside of a very narrow set of use cases where IoT is essentially replacing already-existing sensors.

I don’t see the business case to justify the hardware, bandwidth, storage, and analysis costs (incrementally slight as they may be).

Is there a :shrug: where it gets bigger and bigger? That’s my view of IoT.

insecure pervasive surveillance appliances are ftw

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Agile Vector posted:

i kind of want to track down some old vb4 tech shirt or something, since all mine are new and bad products (i only like old and bad products) but dont think i ever saw ones for apps like that. was that still the days before novelty shirts eclipsed novelty mugs and mousepads?

are you kidding? in those days a project didn’t exist if it didn’t have a T-shirt

whether anyone outside the team working on it would ever get one…

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

OldAlias posted:

insecure pervasive surveillance appliances are ftw

yeah if your lightbulbs aren’t part of a botnet DDOSing a bank in a country you’ve never heard of then I don’t know what to say, what’s life like in the Stone Age?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
if someone tells you to 'imagine the possibilities' with a service then they've probably spent the past 3 years trying to do just that and came up with fuckall

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

AtomD posted:

if someone tells you to 'imagine the possibilities' with a service then they've probably spent the past 3 years trying to do just that and came up with fuckall

cool sounds like the ring curse

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

AtomD posted:

"imagine the possibilities! please"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
drat, I’m stuck on third shift next week and I can’t go to the big meta meet-up on the 14th.

:(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

AtomD posted:

blockchain.txt

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I’m thinking about going to a fish hobby meet up. I have some fish.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

~Coxy posted:

blockchain.txt

startupwarstories.txt too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I haven’t gone to any Lisp meetups lately because they’ve been at like 6PM on Wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

eschaton posted:

I haven’t gone to any Lisp meetups lately because they’ve been at like 6PM on Wednesday

curfew at the halfway house is 9pm

• Locked thread