Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

WATCH EPISODE 23 β IF YOU HAVEN'T BEFORE YOU START

The long-awaited anime adaptation of the visual novel is finally here!

"What's a Steins;Gate?"
Steins;Gate is a science fiction series about time travel and alternate timelines (called a "world line" in the series). Needless to say with these types of story, poo poo goes wrong. Steins;Gate started out as a visual novel that eventually got adapted into a very popular anime in 2011, and Steins;Gate 0 is the sequel/interquel.

"Do I need to watch the first anime before watching this?"
Yes, you either have to watch the Steins;Gate anime or read the visual novel. Both the anime and the visual novel start slow, but once it gets going it becomes really interesting and imo, one of the best of its genre. Everything about Zero is spoiler territory for the first one.

"It's been so long and I forgot a lot of things."
Anime News Network wrote an article summarizing the story and what you need to know before you start watching Steins;Gate 0. You should also watch episode 23 β of the original before you watch this.

"Where can I watch it?"
Crunchyroll and apparently the dub premieres on april 30th.

Don't forget your daily dose of Dr. Pepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAcNU8Xifrs

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Come for the Tuturu~, stay for funny Maho faces.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Super Jay Mann posted:

Steins Gate 0 was generally pretty disappointing, but I liked Maho a lot.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Here mostly for the mystery of how Daru managed to land anyone and produce any sort of offspring

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad that ann article exists because I was like 90% sure Steins Gate had a happy ending and the first episode of zero was very confusing.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYXvo3w4_YE

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sindai posted:

I'm glad that ann article exists because I was like 90% sure Steins Gate had a happy ending and the first episode of zero was very confusing.

Immediately after the Steins Gate ending, Kurisu was pushed into the street by a random passerby and hit by a truck. Steins Gate 0 follows Okabe several months after that incident.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked that they used Messenger and Amadeus right in the first episode. I wouldn't have a problem if they just straight up kept using the VN soundtrack. It's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lImwyFWomvM

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Super Jay Mann posted:

:same:

Even with all of its flaws I liked the 0 VN enough just on the basis that it was more Steins Gate, and the first anime episode was better than I expected. I'll watch the entire thing regardless of how it turns out, but I'm interested in seeing how they do this adaptation since the overall structure in 0 seems like it would not translate as well into an anime compared to the original.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

astr0man posted:

I'm interested in seeing how they do this adaptation since the overall structure in 0 seems like it would not translate as well into an anime compared to the original.
Yeah that's the big point of interest to me too. Even the original Steins;Gate had to cut a fair amount of interesting stuff to work as an anime, and 0's structure invites a straight adaptation even less so.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm guessing they're going to do a climax around the half way to two-thirds point ending Promised Rinascimento precipitating the loop back to the end of Closed Epigraph and continuing through the Milkyway Crossing ending. I'm just hoping they fix some of the presentation regarding Yuki and Kagari's memory override. That was by far the weakest part of the greater plot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One of the biggest things that annoyed me is that (VN spoilers)Russian dude was evil, because that was super obvious and he was evil in a goofy "over the top sociopath" sort of way. In general, between this and Chaos;Child, it seems like the author of these Science Adventure games has a problem with adults secretly being hilariously evil sociopaths that are apparently perfect at acting like normal people most of the time.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i accidentally uncovered the spoiler two posts above this post and i like how the naming schemes in steins gate is so deliberately stupid as heck that i came out the other side still not understanding anything about what was spoiled

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Futaba Anzu posted:

i accidentally uncovered the spoiler two posts above this post and i like how the naming schemes in steins gate is so deliberately stupid as heck that i came out the other side still not understanding anything about what was spoiled
Actually, it's awesome as heck. It rules.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
As soon as Kyouma was like "don't use that old name for me" and "no nothing crazy is going on I just need to study for college" I knew we were in the despair timeline. Should be a fun take on the character for awhile, at least until he gets hit with more trauma. I hope Kyouma emerges as a second personality to take over when Rintaro is overwhelmed, just go full goofy comic book with it. At the very least I really want to see the name and personality re-emerge as a coping mechanism.

And good for him getting therapy, good god if there's ever been an anime character who needed it it's him and I hope he gets it in the happy ending of Seins;Gate world line as well.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i played a lil bit of 0 after completing the 1st game a couple months ago

the concept and tone its goin for is my poo poo. but then u switched protags to mayuri's dipshit high schooler friends and i immediately decided i had enough of that kinda poo poo wi the first game. Maho seems does seem pretty cool so far however

i guess i'm just wondering is it worth the slog? i liked the 1st game but despite it being rlly good it had really bad bloat/pacing issues. too many scenes of dumb v/n dialogue inbetween all the really good stuff

also i hosed up this post bad dont own me anime forum

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 16, 2018

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Dongicus posted:

i guess i'm just wondering is it worth the slog? i liked the 1st game but despite it being rlly good it had really bad bloat/pacing issues. too many scenes of dumb v/n dialogue inbetween all the really good stuff

The general consensus is that the payoff in 0 is nowhere near as good as the first game, and I'd say it has about the same amount of VN filler stuff so it sounds like it might not be worth reading for you?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

I definitely don't mind filler as a concept, some scenes do work and are helpful at fleshing out some characters. it was just the extent of it. making realllll sure that u got that a specific character had this one trait which then gets mercilessly beaten to death and repeated precisely 5000 times.

but yeah, thanks man. i think i'll give it a pass and watch the anime whenever all the eps are out.

i sound mad as hell but i did really enjoy the good parts of the v/n

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If J Michael Tatum is coming back as Okabe in the dub, I'm sold. His performance back in the original anime was and probably still is the highlight of his career.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxUa88eFWpo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dongicus posted:

i played a lil bit of 0 after completing the 1st game a couple months ago

the concept and tone its goin for is my poo poo. but then u switched protags to mayuri's dipshit high schooler friends and i immediately decided i had enough of that kinda poo poo wi the first game. Maho seems does seem pretty cool so far however

also i hosed up this post bad dont own me anime forum

That POV switch doesn't stick with them very long. There are a few POV swaps throughout the game which are mostly well done, and it is an interesting change from the Okabe-only story we get in the original. Some of the bad ends are especially crazy and wouldn't work if it was from Okabe's POV.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
As someone who read the VN and even enjoyed my time with it I feel safe saying I already like it more as an anime and find it less of a slog. If they also end up completely handwaving the Kagari and Yuki brainwipe stuff I'd be fine since, as said by AlternateNu, it's a super weak part of the VN's story and ultimately doesn't contribute anything imo.

It's good to see White Fox animating another series since they've got good style and haven't done a whole lot.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Have to say that I definitely prefer Amadeus over the new anime OP, but I'm guessing it will grow on me eventually after hearing it enough times.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm never disappointed by more Itou Kanako. :swoon:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i am on episode 5 of the first series and don't really get the memory overwriting mechanic

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Relin posted:

i am on episode 5 of the first series and don't really get the memory overwriting mechanic

instead of sending data through a text message, he's sending data from his brain back to another him

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
oh ok thanks. the little explanation by titor didnt really make sense from a traditional time travel mechanic

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Futaba Anzu posted:

instead of sending data through a text message, he's sending data from his brain back to another him
That comes later well after episode 5.

@Relin, don't worry, you're supposed to be confused as heck at this point. Ignore what Futaba Anzu said.

Also I'm ready to see more of my favorite animu trans girl in this series~.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oh no, episode 4 had quite a few QUALITY issues, I hope everything is ok for this show's production :ohdear:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad everything's still going great for Rintaro. I'm sure he'll have some time next episode to knock back some Dr. Pepper with his guests, and reminisce about old times.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sad they dodged the thread title :smith:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

That POV switch doesn't stick with them very long. There are a few POV swaps throughout the game which are mostly well done, and it is an interesting change from the Okabe-only story we get in the original. Some of the bad ends are especially crazy and wouldn't work if it was from Okabe's POV.

I've played more and the story branch that leads to twin automata and the other end is pretty solid

just found the other side really weak. Vega and Altair were dope though

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I can't believe Steins;Gate is doing this to me again

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This newest episode was quite good. The changes and expansions of scenes in the original VN have all been for the better so far.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Poor Okabe, jesus.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
They did the story a service by pulling out the single long, drawn-out dialogue between Kurisu and Okabe that was this part of the VN and turning it into multiple scenes and characters actually doing things. I liked how the VN handled it but this is arguably both more entertaining and cleaner in plot presentation, especially considering it covers the same important bits in less time.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Barent posted:

Poor Okabe, jesus.

Time travel loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Can someone break down how all the time shenanigans from the latest episode worked? How did that message cause him to shift back to his world line, what changes/additions were made to the scene of Kurisu running back from Steins;Gate classic, and what's the significance of Kurisu remembering Okabe opening up her jacket as their first meeting?

I think I have the basics of it, with the don't come in message delaying her entering the room and the world line from this episode maybe being one where he stopping changing timelines in an attempt to save Mayuri and chose to stay with Kurisu instead when she came back in time top stop him. The jacket thing seems to tie in to when Okabe went back in time to try to save Kurisu, but that doesn't quite add up to me since he didn't succeed and create the happy ending of both Mayuri and Kurisu living in that world line.

I dunno, I'm just wondering if any Steins experts can break it down for me, without revealing much or anything about the upcoming stuff since I haven't seen or read much of anything in zero ahead of time.

I can't believe that Suzuha's mom was with the group that raided the lab and tried to kidnap Shiina, I'm hoping that the bandage on her hand is somehow a red herring but I don't see how that's possible, and I was so not expecting it that it actually took a few minutes after I saw it for it to click. I guess she'll be the one to get the Moeka shuffle this time and be converted to the side of good.

My working theory is that the new older scientists are the bad guys, but I have no idea how they're pulling time travel off. Using the more basic phone microwave tech for evil is a wild situation though and I'd be on board for that to be what's going on.

Apologies for the long post, but I'm really liking the show and finally marathoned the current episodes so I'm kind of hyped up.