Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Let's Play Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 0079 Rise from the Ashes

Published on August 26, 1999 for the Sega Dreamcast, Rise from the Incredibly Long Title is a surprisingly good simulator and definitely ranks in the top two of all the games I've owned for the Sega Dreamcast*. Sadly, I can't decide whether this or Powerstone is better, but this is infinitely more LP-able so this is the LP you'll get! Joining me in the full commentary version will be the omnipresent and omni-talented coolguy as well as the effervescent ghost of TheLastRoboKy

Set in the mythical land of Australia in the wake of the Duchy of Zeon dropping a giant space hotel on TheLastRoboKy's house, Rise from the Ashes is a game about war and definitely isn't just 008th MS Team with the serial numbers filed off and the love story tossed in the dumpster where it belonged. We play the White Dingo Mobile Suit Team, and as such we are in in direct competition with Blue Swan, Red Opossum, Yellow Quokka, and Green Echidna as we strive to reassemble the pieces of the silver monkey and make our way past the temple guardians to please the ancient talking head, Olmec.

Cast and Characters
This game actually has a cast!

Fang-1 - Master Pierce Rayer
The player insert and all around GM Ace, Pierce Rayer is a faceless mute in game. Also appearing as a surprisingly capable non-Newtype pilot in the strategy game Ghiren's Greed, Pierce Rayer becomes almost single-handedly responsible for driving the Duchy of Zeon back onto their space boats and sending them back to Africa.

Fang-2 - Leung Lee-Fai
Is totally definitely not a spy, honest! Fortunately, he's a spy for Federal Intelligence, sent to Australia to keep his eyes on a very specific bunch of McGuffins that we really don't want the Duchy of Zeon to have. Don't worry though, it won't take us that long to find all of the Cyber Planet Keys and stop the Duchy of Zeon from restoring Unicron Ashtaroth to life.

Fang-3 - Steve Blum
Steven Jay Blum is an American voice actor of anime, animation and video games known for his distinctive deep voice. He provides the voice of TOM, the host of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim's Toonami programming block. For some reason the game keeps calling him Mike.

Oasis - Anita Julianne
Anita drives the Type-74 hovertruck made famous by the whiny crybaby and the guy named after a Lord of the Rings Elf from 008th Mobile Suit Team. As such, she is our radar and is invaluable to finding and killing the last Zaku that's gotten its stupid rear end stuck in a hole somewhere on the map. As she is not a mobile suit pilot, Anita didn't get a stat card in Ghiren's Greed but does turn up in a couple of that game's cutscenes. She and Pierce Rayer get married after the war, and then get killed by Camille Bidan in Zeta Gundam. CAMILLE IS A MAN'S NAME!

Bob Rock
Bob is the White Dingo Team's mechanic. He tells us what our guns do and makes sure we get new mobile suits when I inevitably get my GM's head blown off in Episode 8. He has the best name. :allears:

Olmec
Gives us our briefings before every sortie.

Visch "Wild Thunder" Donahue
Totally not Norris with an Eyepatch What are you Talking About, and definitely not Char Aznable, Visch Donahue is the only Zeon ace stupid enough to get posted to Australia. He leads the local training battalion and his troops like him. He's about as trustworthy as a pile of free birdseed and he's definitely a baddie. His personal "I'm trying to one up Char Aznable" ace logo looks like this:

Two lightning bolts and a skull. Classy SS reference you Nazi cyclops gently caress.

*Games I've owned for the Sega Dreamcast:
- Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 0079 Rise from the Ashes
- Powerstone

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let's Play Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 0079 Rise from the Ashes

Mobile Suit of the Week: Type-74 Hovertruck

Perhaps the single most deadly unit of the One Year War, the Type-74 is a truck that can loving fly. It's also capable of shooting sound waves through the ground, causing tsunamis, earthquakes, and most deadly of all: granting radar to a video game player character. The demonic Type-74 is spoken of only in terrified whispers even among the soldiers of the Earth Federal Forces, while the Duchy of Zeon have dubbed them the Dämon LKW

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 14, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
AAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAA

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
RIP RoboKy's house.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

First thing I noticed- oh hey, they actually knew where the Australian capital was.

RIP Canberra, you were always trash.

EDIT- And at least Xarbala knows that Radelaide exists- https://thundergodxarbala.deviantart.com/art/BT-Adelaide-355555046
Why are giant robots always invading Australia

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 14, 2018

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Paingod556 posted:

Why are giant robots always invading Australia
Because they know where the fiercest competition is for "Deadliest Thing" and they won't settle for a half-hearted challenge.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Speaking of voice actors being secret Zeon sympathizers, I'm pretty sure your other squadmate's VA is the same guy who does Ramba Ral in MSG Origin.

I'm beginning to think that we're among a flock of wolves here given that your squadmates may or may not be two of Zeon's greatest aces :v:

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 14, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
For the record, here's one of the clips where Steve Blum talks about figuring out he was typecast as Spike Spiegel and shows off his Guilmon voice to counter it. Dude has phenomenal range.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Steve Blum is a national treasure. :allears:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I AM MAD. MAD ABOUT ZEON.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm sorry about your house.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

As well you should be, they are bad chaps.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mobile Suit of the Week: Type-74 Hovertruck

I remember gifs of this truck that you posted which both confirmed this and which were pretty hilarious. I don't remember what show they were from though. This saddens me almost as much as the loss of Roboky's house.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

EponymousMrYar posted:

I remember gifs of this truck that you posted which both confirmed this and which were pretty hilarious. I don't remember what show they were from though. This saddens me almost as much as the loss of Roboky's house.

That was the slightly different but essentially identical Space Truck from Gundam AGE! :pseudo:

It's a different vehicle entirely, you can tell because it looks almost exactly the same. Gundam Age was such a great show with so many new and original ideas.

Edit: It was also hilarious after the budget ran out.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 15, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Well given all of the Zeon apologists both in the UC and in reality someone has to be!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i am still preening about being able to identify blum when both of these guys couldn't btw

my hearing is the best

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Gundam AGE gifs
You can't post stuff like that without posting the best one, where the movie (aka, the one with a decentish budget) thought a beam saber was a solid object when it gets cut in half.

Also, hi Kirk Thornton! Don't think I didn't notice you in there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

That was the slightly different but essentially identical Space Truck from Gundam AGE! :pseudo:

It's a different vehicle entirely, you can tell because it looks almost exactly the same. Gundam Age was such a great show with so many new and original ideas.

Edit: It was also hilarious after the budget ran out.

HINOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :doom:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh, cool. Poked at this game some, but never really played it. Nice to be in on the ground floor.

Have built some of the model kits, though. Not many playable mobile suits, but it does have single coolest design of the entire One Year War. They actually released a Master Grade of it.

It's a ways off, though.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

Well given all of the Zeon apologists both in the UC and in reality someone has to be!

Not even Thunderbolt could make me feel anything but disdain for Zeon, and that starts out as a show about a dude that likes jazz bullying Zeon cripples.

Coolguye posted:

i am still preening about being able to identify blum when both of these guys couldn't btw

my hearing is the best

I can only express my passive aggressiveness towards your preening through various vaguely related Gundam series images

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Not even Thunderbolt could make me feel anything but disdain for Zeon, and that starts out as a show about a dude that likes jazz bullying Zeon cripples.

Well, to be fair, the cool jazz rear end in a top hat did used to live in the colony Zeon had everyone exterminated to use as a sniper's nest to kill his friends.

Honestly, I'm capable of feeling sympathetic to Zeon, if by that you mean one of the following:

1) The anti-Zabi faction in The Plot to Assassinate Gihren. (They had a guy say Sieg Zeon in a context where I was actually cheering for him! I didn't believe it could happen either!)

2) Ramble Ral.

Ral's a good guy.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, to be fair, the cool jazz rear end in a top hat did used to live in the colony Zeon had everyone exterminated to use as a sniper's nest to kill his friends.

Honestly, I'm capable of feeling sympathetic to Zeon, if by that you mean one of the following:

1) The anti-Zabi faction in The Plot to Assassinate Gihren. (They had a guy say Sieg Zeon in a context where I was actually cheering for him! I didn't believe it could happen either!)

2) Ramble Ral.

Ral's a good guy.

I'll add on a #3: Bernie "Hamburger" Wiseman, who probably wins the award for "Nicest Guy In Zeon."

Granted that's not exactly a difficult feat to achieve all things considered...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

I'll add on a #3: Bernie "Hamburger" Wiseman, who probably wins the award for "Nicest Guy In Zeon."

Granted that's not exactly a difficult feat to achieve all things considered...

Oh, right. Cyclops team.

I'd say Hardy was decent enough too, considering how things went in the end. Which, of course, got him stabbed in the back, because Zeon is a bag of dicks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

You can't post stuff like that without posting the best one, where the movie (aka, the one with a decentish budget) thought a beam saber was a solid object when it gets cut in half.

I don't remember where I put that one, so have this one instead since it's equally fuckin' stupid.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Boy am I glad I didn't watch AGE. I think that beam saber levitating out of his hand and planting itself like a solid sword would have made me scream.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Materant posted:

Boy am I glad I didn't watch AGE. I think that beam saber levitating out of his hand and planting itself like a solid sword would have made me scream.

AGE is bad in that stupid sort of way that makes it kinda fun to watch (once).

For example, the 13 year-old 3rd main character's father (the 2nd main character) goes into space as the 3mc is being born and just sorta vanishes without a trace one day, leaving the newborn 3mc (and the 2mc's wife) to fend for themselves.

Turned out he just had a midlife crisis and decided to become a space pirate, ghosting his whole family in the process. He could have called since he wasn't actually opposing the world government or anything, he just didn't loving bother because he got himself a sweet chair with a skull on it and an eyepatch.

For thirteen years.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

AGE is bad in that stupid sort of way that makes it kinda fun to watch (once).

For example, the 13 year-old 3rd main character's father (the 2nd main character) goes into space as the 3mc is being born and just sorta vanishes without a trace one day, leaving the newborn 3mc (and the 2mc's wife) to fend for themselves.

Turned out he just had a midlife crisis and decided to become a space pirate, ghosting his whole family in the process. He could have called since he wasn't actually opposing the world government or anything, he just didn't loving bother because he got himself a sweet chair with a skull on it and an eyepatch.

For thirteen years.

Akihiro Hino is not a good writer...

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

nine-gear crow posted:

Which is a pity because Level 5 actually does have good writers on tap. Danball Senki, especially the first season, is basically a parallel universe Gundam show and it's actually good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

nine-gear crow posted:

Fortunately, all of the good ideas from AGE got reused for Iron Blooded Orphans.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

nine-gear crow posted:

For the record, here's one of the clips where Steve Blum talks about figuring out he was typecast as Spike Spiegel and shows off his Guilmon voice to counter it. Dude has phenomenal range.

There was an interview with him I remember where he said he'd go into the recording booth on the first day of a new project. He'd have spent ages working on a voice for the character, he'd give the first take his all and at the end think boom, nailed it. And then the directors in the recording booth would come back and say 'yup, that was great, Steve, but can you do it just a biiiiiit more like Spike Spiegel?'

Omnicrom posted:

Which is a pity because Level 5 actually does have good writers on tap. Danball Senki, especially the first season, is basically a parallel universe Gundam show and it's actually good.

Huh, suddenly interested in this. I thought it was just another merch-driven series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fortunately, all of the good ideas from AGE got reused for Iron Blooded Orphans.

Well, not the hundred year war thing, which could be cool in a better show.

But yeah. IBO is good. Interesting thing, though, is that it was in the preliminary stages just after 00. It just got delayed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I can only express my passive aggressiveness towards your preening through various vaguely related Gundam series images

there's an eternal supply of those

and i wouldn't have it any other way

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'll just say this about Gundam AGE. It is the only Gundam series that I can recall where Gunpla kits were either shelved and never released, or outright canceled. That should give you an idea of how bad things got; the model kit division, aka the big workhorse department of Bandai Namco, had to axe their own products because they were tied to an unpopular show. But that's what you get when you turn what was to be an original Gundam game into a TV series and not ask the game devs if they could handle the jump from game to TV series.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Which is honestly a shame. The AGE Model Kits were fantastic and a lot of their grunt suits really pushed the envelope of flexibility.

Plus, some of their designs were amaz--

--pretty goo--

--passa--

--Somewhat Oka--

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Man am I glad I stopped watching after SEED Destiny at times. :v:

Which is probably something I've brought up in some other thread when the topic of Gundam has come up, but whatever.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Man am I glad I stopped watching after SEED Destiny at times. :v:

Which is probably something I've brought up in some other thread when the topic of Gundam has come up, but whatever.

You missed out on some good stuff, to be honest.

The Origin manga is a great adaptation of the original Gundam, Stargazer is the best SEED gets, Build Fighters has, well, good fights and fun in-jokes, Thunderbolt combines nihilistic high octane action with jazz, and if you want something a bit longer, Iron Blooded Orphans is good. Gets grim, though.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'm not saying you should forgive Zeon, but they have some cool mobile suits, and on a more relevant note they weren't aiming for Australia, the Feddies kind of stopped it short by an ocean. Zeon was aiming for Brazil if I'm not mistaken. Still dropped a colony, so that's fair.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

SS-Kumei posted:

I'm not saying you should forgive Zeon, but they have some cool mobile suits, and on a more relevant note they weren't aiming for Australia, the Feddies kind of stopped it short by an ocean. Zeon was aiming for Brazil if I'm not mistaken. Still dropped a colony, so that's fair.

Don't think I don't have a Gundam series image for this too.

The only good Zeek, is a Zeek that never crawls out of its stinking Side.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zeon are a bunch of murderous lunatics, it's just that in a series about how war is a lovely thing even if it's necessary it's going to show off that the Feddies aren't at all perfect and then lust for sweet mobile suits and uniforms will cause 'Oh, well, I guess Zeon was secretly The Good Guy'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Don't think I don't have a Gundam series image for this too.

The only good Zeek, is a Zeek that never crawls out of its stinking Side.

Good Zeeks:

Captain Steiner Hardy
Private Bernard Wiseman
Senator Leopold Fieseler
Lt. Ramble Ral
Lt. Col. Lance Garfield.

Edge Case:
Commander Cima Garahau
Prime Minister Darcia Bakharov

You will notice that, contrary to common assessments, the overlap between Good Zeeks and Dead Zeeks is not, in fact, 1:1. However, the ratio is admittedly close enough that the statement is reasonable in a non-scientific context.

• Locked thread