Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

Commander Cima Garahau

Only a "good" Zeke insofar as she was doing her best to kill Kou Uraki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Only a "good" Zeke insofar as she was doing her best to kill Kou Uraki.

Thus borderline.

Trying to kill both Kou and Gato covers a multitude of sins.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 17, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I just want to say I never said the only good Zeek was a dead Zeek because a dead Zeek is usually gripping the controls of a mobile armour as he dies for a really stupid reason and crashes on top of some bystanders in the process. Perhaps screaming "SIEG ZEON" or something before they croak to try to make it seem like a noble sacrifice.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I just want to say I never said the only good Zeek was a dead Zeek because a dead Zeek is usually gripping the controls of a mobile armour as he dies for a really stupid reason and crashes on top of some bystanders in the process. Perhaps screaming "SIEG ZEON" or something before they croak to try to make it seem like a noble sacrifice.

Guess its high time I posted this one again because it feels relevant somewhat:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The post really would have benefited from mentioning that a mobile suit team sent to do the gassing wasn't actually told what they were deploying, which to my understanding caused them to go mad. Then Gihren does Gihren :v:

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Cima_Garahau

Third Mission
Feb 18, 2011

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!
drat it I just about the post that rant.

seriously tho

the only good Zeon is dead and burned Zeon. That way they have been dead long enough that they aren't killing more people and they haven't been dead long enough to become a martyr for dumb zeeks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lunethex posted:

The post really would have benefited from mentioning that a mobile suit team sent to do the gassing wasn't actually told what they were deploying, which to my understanding caused them to go mad. Then Gihren does Gihren :v:

They didn't just go mad.

They got angry.

Which is why they betrayed Gato to the Feddies, and would have stopped Operation Stardust, saving millions of lives, if they hadn't been betrayed by Kou and Nina.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Cooked Auto posted:

Guess its high time I posted this one again because it feels relevant somewhat:

To be fair, 'everyone move to space and quit loving up the Earth, you colossal dicks' wasn't too terrible of an idea, the colonies were, by all accounts, actually pretty nice. Certainly better than the situation on Earth, by and large. It's just that the Spacenoids had this weird persecution complex that fuelled much of their diplomacy and tried to pull the biggest recorded 'WELL gently caress YOU, DAD!' in history. Then the few moderate voices (by comparison, no one was advocating war crimes or colony drops until much, much later) either died, retired or were outright assassinated and, well, nice knowing you, Australia, thanks for all the Tim Tams.

Lunethex posted:

A worrying amount of Zeon's shenanigans can be boiled down to 'Gihren gotta Gihren'. The man literally could not be anything less than a total prick.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

A worrying amount of Zeon's shenanigans can be boiled down to 'Gihren gotta Gihren'. The man literally could not be anything less than a total prick.

When your response to "Son, you're acting a bit like Adolf Hilter" is "Hitler was a pansy, I'll show you how it's done", you're probably not a good person.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

When your response to "Son, you're acting a bit like Adolf Hilter" is "Hitler was a pansy, I'll show you how it's done", you're probably not a good person.

"See dad, I feel like the word atrocity is too small. I want to make an atrocountry, or maybe an atroearth."

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This was a good game and the thumbstick/dpad issues don't actually matter that much once you're locked on.

Also kill all space babby fascists.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, this is honestly a really fun game. It's just short enough that you can beat it in an afternoon and just varied enough that you don't notice how tiny the maps are.

They really did what they could considering the Dreamcast's limitations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's interesting to see mobile suit combat from a cockpit instead of third person.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kurui Reiten posted:

"What if Hitler, but too much?"

"No such thing, now back to the 'more orphans on colonies = more mass when it crashes' plan."

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Night10194 posted:

It's interesting to see mobile suit combat from a cockpit instead of third person.

It's something I would genuinely love to see more of these days but still only with the One Year War stuff, cause we start getting into stuff like F91 and you'll see my after-breakfast with mass from going too fast.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Earthsiege 2 loving owned and I'd like more Mecha games even superficially resembling it.

glocknar
May 17, 2017
God I miss how black and white, mustache-twirlingly evil and monstrous old cartoon villains were. Seriously Zeon is pretty much anime space nazis in regards to how guilty you feel about killing them, and it is fantastic.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

glocknar posted:

God I miss how black and white, mustache-twirlingly evil and monstrous old cartoon villains were. Seriously Zeon is pretty much anime space nazis in regards to how guilty you feel about killing them, and it is fantastic.

Like the basis of Zeon is "There may be good people working for Zeon, like Ramba Ral, but they are still working for loving Space Hitler." It's not that your average zeon goon isn't portrayed as just being "A Person" it's that them being "A Person" is not an excuse to not fight. Gundam works that try to take the stance of Zeon as "Noble Space Samurai" disgust me.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My favorite "Theory of Gundam" is that it's essentially Tomino's attempt to wrap his head around the idea that his parents, friends' parents, neighbors, and etc. were part of something monstrous just over two decades prior.

There are good individual people who were a part of the Duchy of Zeon and the ideals they believed in weren't necessarily bad, but the methods employed by the Zeon were absolutely abhorrent and those methods taint the results until nothing good can come of them. At that point, people are being swept into barbarity by sheer momentum and the only moral choice is to resist at all costs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean it's always been really clear to me that Zeon is way more Imperial Japan than Nazi Germany.

E: Basically, from what I understand, Gundam is about a flawed society fighting against a foe that attacked them first and the war is corrupting, bloody, and lovely even as it's necessary.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 18, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

My favorite "Theory of Gundam" is that it's essentially Tomino's attempt to wrap his head around the idea that his parents, friends' parents, neighbors, and etc. were part of something monstrous just over two decades prior.

There are good individual people who were a part of the Duchy of Zeon and the ideals they believed in weren't necessarily bad, but the methods employed by the Zeon were absolutely abhorrent and those methods taint the results until nothing good can come of them. At that point, people are being swept into barbarity by sheer momentum and the only moral choice is to resist at all costs.

As far as I'm aware/concerned Zeon is 100% meant to be Japan and the "good people" are definitely meant to be "Look what our war has made good people do". It's hard not to find a "Holy gently caress Japan look what you did" metaphor/symbolic moment somewhere in the Tomino Gundam shows. Hell, the old man's final Gundam series Reconquista in G is basically Tomino taking shots at politicans trying to water down Japan's pacifist constitution.

Also G-Reco is good just saying that now so people know how crazy I am.

Night10194 posted:

I mean it's always been really clear to me that Zeon is way more Imperial Japan than Nazi Germany.

E: Basically, from what I understand, Gundam is about a flawed society fighting against a foe that attacked them first and the war is corrupting, bloody, and lovely even as it's necessary.

The argument that Tomino is making is that "no matter what the justification, the losses suffered and the suffering inflicted on everyone are unacceptable and ruin us for generations, we can only hope that the young people whose lives we've directly affected through this can find a different way forwards." Of course seeing how Zeta and ZZ go Tomino wasn't exactly hopeful.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Also G-Reco is good just saying that now so people know how crazy I am.

G-Reco is good.

Steer is the best.

Edit: It also had the best eyecatches

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 18, 2018

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I remember only knowing about this because they put a walk through in the back of a "Complete guide to Gundam!" way back in... 2000(?)

It was when Wing had it's American run and introduced the world to Gundam.

glocknar
May 17, 2017
Also love how the direct contact communications work, simply because this is actually a thing that happens in universe. None of the more common nonsense of shouting at each other over open comms.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Um, just to be clear, you didn't actually kill any civilians, right? Because they would have mentioned it?

I mean I saw a lot of buildings blow up there and I'm not sure which ones were bad and which ones weren't.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

glocknar posted:

Also love how the direct contact communications work, simply because this is actually a thing that happens in universe. None of the more common nonsense of shouting at each other over open comms.

It's my favourite thing, from little moments in various UC stuff where a force moving in has a mobile suit rest its hand on another or fire a connecting wire so they can talk, to moments in G-Reco where two suits loving headbutt each other and the pilots starting yelling at one another.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Quicksilver6 posted:

Um, just to be clear, you didn't actually kill any civilians, right? Because they would have mentioned it?

I did not (I did blow up a warehouse), but the Zekes stomped on a lot of houses. I don't get penalized for anything the Zeon do unless the buildings get destroyed because I killed them, or on one later mission if they accidentally destroy a very specific building.

My final score was not penalized because none of the water tanks got destroyed, it will be penalized later because I miss shooting down a helicopter I forgot existed. I was mostly bringing the bazooka to show you can do that mission cleanly even with the splash damage weapon.

The better choice is to bring the GM Cannon but gently caress that thing, it's garbage.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

glocknar posted:

I'm pretty sure it's based on the fact that if astronauts touch their visors together they can communicate without radio. The sound waves transmit into and through the suits. Not that that's how it work in Gundam, just that it inspired it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let's Play Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 0079 Rise from the Ashes

Mobile Suit of the Week: DFA-03 Dopp

The Duchy of Zeon's most commonly-deployed Mobile Suit, the Dopp has a few notable flaws that made it ill-suited to combat roles in the earliest phases of the war. Featuring paired 20mm vulcan guns and a pair of 6-tube 30mm rocket launchers, the Dopp's firepower was considered quite respectable during the first three months of the war. Speedy and small enough to evade most incoming fire, the Dopp had one notable design flaw that limited its usefulness during the first months of the war: its twin turbine jet engines require an atmosphere to function, and there is no atmosphere in space.

This has lead the Dopp to having an undeserved reputation for being a bit of a deathtrap and a pilot killer. The Dopp would not see widespread use until the Duchy of Zeon's widespread ground invasion of the Planet Earth. The invasion of Earth gave the Dopp a new lease on life. While this hasn't been enough to redeem it in the eyes of the Duchy of Zeon, the sad truth is they made so many of the things they have no choice but to continue using them.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Are there any other simulator style Gundam games or is it all Dynasty Warriors from here out?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Not gonna lie, when "W. DINGO" popped up on the screen, I misread it as "WENDIGO".

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

7c Nickel posted:

Are there any other simulator style Gundam games or is it all Dynasty Warriors from here out?

As far as I know it's either Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Gundam vs., or Gundam Breaker from here in.

Not like any of those are bad mind you, but obviously none of em are as gritty as this one.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 20, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dr. Snark posted:

As far as I know it's either Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Gundam vs., or Gundam Breaker from here in.

Not like any of those are bad mind you, but obviously none of em are as gritty as this one.

We didn't get any more simulators in the cockpit sense, we got Gundam Crossfire, which was a terrible game.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Zeonic Front is Gundam meets original Rainbow Six and is really REALLY rough around the edges.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Zeonic Front is Gundam meets original Rainbow Six and is really REALLY rough around the edges.

Also, you play as dirty Zekes.

(Seriously, though. The Plot to Assassinate Gihren is good. It's about Space Operation Valkyrie!)

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Poking around there's also Blue Destiny but it comes across as far quicker in pace and seems a bit more arcadey but is still cockpit focus (also it was on the SEGA Saturn).

Edit: Also apparently there's another UC era series coming out called Mobile Suit Gundam: Narrative set shortly after Unicorn and the main character is Australian. I'm emailing Sunrise for a scene where he punches a Neo Neo Neo Zeon Remnant and yells "THIS IS FOR ROBOKY'S HOUSE. IT HAD A NICE VIEW OF A REALLY BIG LAKE. NOW IT'S THE OCEAN."

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 20, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why are there so many goddamn Zeon remnants, anyway. It seems every week someone turns over a rock and some new Zekes crawl out from under it.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Night10194 posted:

Why are there so many goddamn Zeon remnants, anyway. It seems every week someone turns over a rock and some new Zekes crawl out from under it.

It's basically because there's a bunch of big-name Zekes that survived the One Year War and still really wanna stick it to the Feddies. Case in point:

Anavel Gato and the Delaz Fleet (Let's nuke some Feddies!)
Haman Karn (twice) (I'LL SHOW YOU, CHAR)
Glemy Toto (Becoming Gihren 2.0 sounds like a great idea!)
Char Aznable (twice, kind of) (Time to drop a rock on Earth!)
Full Frontal (technically Char again) (Let's do what Char did!)

That, or thanks to Federation war crimes (hi, Zinnerman!) there's a bunch of people out there who just want some good old-fashioned revenge and figure throwing in their lot with the Zeon remnant group of the day.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 20, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You'd think they would run out of colonies to make new empires out of at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

You'd think they would run out of colonies to make new empires out of at some point.

To be fair they do try to keep dropping said colonies/asteroids on Earth.

• Locked thread