Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

GawainStark posted:

You're thinking of Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space I believe. In the White Base mode of that game you can encounter Johnny Ridden, Shin Matsunada, and Gato as surprise boss fights in three of the stages.I don't remember exactly how to trigger the fights though. RIP someone beat me to it.
Huh, I misremembered Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam having a Gato scenario. It had every other alternate 'history' scenario, aside from Dozle punching the poo poo out of the Gundam. Too G Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Gato is one of the worst characters to ever exist in Gundam ever, which is okay cause he's meant to be a gigantic moronic delusional hypocrite who only lives as long as he does because he once dated the least rational woman on the loving planet. He's also what I imagine a person looks like when they try to tell me Zeon aren't too bad for whatever reason, usually telling me this while piloting a mobile armour and committing some self-righteous atrocity in the process.

Sadly, according to a recent poll, he's also the eighth or eleventh most popular Gundam character.

(The most popular character is either Char or, in the portion of the poll that places Gato closer to his rightful place as the worst, Orga Itsuka.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Google translates his name to Anabelle Gateaux, which I now consider canon.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

chiasaur11 posted:

Sadly, according to a recent poll, he's also the eighth or eleventh most popular Gundam character.

(The most popular character is either Char or, in the portion of the poll that places Gato closer to his rightful place as the worst, Orga Itsuka.)

I'm starting to think the Japanese love abject failures almost as much as I do.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I've explained it before, but due to the overwhelming love of "Loyalty" even to complete loving tyrants, characters like Gato become popular in Japan. He's considered the noble space samurai loyal to his master to the very end who died gloriously in battle. Ya know, ignore the mass murder. Igniting a war that was already concluded, all the suffering stemming from his actions. He's LOYAL and that's all that matters.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Honestly I think it's more because even with all of his negative traits...you can't deny that when it comes to just being a Mobile Suit pilot, Gato is kind of a badass.

Yeah, yeah, call me a Zeke sympathizer, but the fact remains that when you have a one-liner like "SOLOMON! I HAVE RETURNED!" followed by wiping out an entire Feddie fleet in one shot...that kind of awesomeness forgiveth many sins.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

Honestly I think it's more because even with all of his negative traits...you can't deny that when it comes to just being a Mobile Suit pilot, Gato is kind of a badass.

Yeah, yeah, call me a Zeke sympathizer, but the fact remains that when you have a one-liner like "SOLOMON! I HAVE RETURNED!" followed by wiping out an entire Feddie fleet in one shot...that kind of awesomeness forgiveth many sins.

He looks like a badass because none of the actual badasses are in play.

You see him next to Kou, sure. He looks like a total murder machine. But if you saw him up against even a weak newtype pilot, or if the Federation had let Yazan Gable off the leash, different story.

Guys like Ral and Char didn't top the killboards since they ran into Amuro Ray. Gato just wasn't good enough.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

chiasaur11 posted:

He looks like a badass because none of the actual badasses are in play.

You see him next to Kou, sure. He looks like a total murder machine. But if you saw him up against even a weak newtype pilot, or if the Federation had let Yazan Gable off the leash, different story.

Guys like Ral and Char didn't top the killboards since they ran into Amuro Ray. Gato just wasn't good enough.

Fair, but that's also probably another contributing factor to Gato's popularity. Yes, I agree with you when you say that he'd probably be pasted by any of the bigger names in the series, but in Stardust Memory he's the biggest fish in the pond and he definitely proves it. And when it comes to popularity perception is everything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

Fair, but that's also probably another contributing factor to Gato's popularity. Yes, I agree with you when you say that he'd probably be pasted by any of the bigger names in the series, but in Stardust Memory he's the biggest fish in the pond and he definitely proves it. And when it comes to popularity perception is everything.

True enough, and especially relevant in an LP for a game where the phrase "Oh, poo poo. There were three Zakus." can be used without a trace of sarcasm.

I mainly wanted to dump on Kou more.

(Amusing fact: Cima made the top fifty for popularity. Kou didn't.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

chiasaur11 posted:

True enough, and especially relevant in an LP for a game where the phrase "Oh, poo poo. There were three Zakus." can be used without a trace of sarcasm.

I mainly wanted to dump on Kou more.

(Amusing fact: Cima made the top fifty for popularity. Kou didn't.)

I like Kou. Yeah dude killed Cima, but he'd been going for almost 24 hours without sleep, was on adrenaline and was desperately trying to stop a colony drop after witnessing someone be murdered in front of him. Also Cima was shooting him while screaming "I'm not your enemy" which is a confusing as gently caress moment for anyone I'd feel. I'm sure if someone was firing a machine gun at you while screaming "I'm on your side" while you were fighting, you would not necessarily consider their words to be truth (Who are we kidding the back half of this series is loving stupid and makes no sense what so ever)

But for an old type with very little combat experience, he handled himself immensely well and was in fact able to go toe-to-toe with Gato. Who only won because Kou had used most of his ammo fighting multiple enemies already while Gato was fresh, well rested and had an undamaged weapon.

I dunno, I have a soft spot for the guy, he gets hosed around pretty badly, That's why whenever I recruit Cima in Gihren's Greed I stick em on a ship together, they'd be friends if they weren't enemies.

"So yeah after the government lied to me, blamed me for everything, my girlfriend shot me and my mentor died, I got locked in prison for a crime I never comitted"
"Tell me about it."

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Onmi posted:

I like Kou. Yeah dude killed Cima, but he'd been going for almost 24 hours without sleep, was on adrenaline and was desperately trying to stop a colony drop after witnessing someone be murdered in front of him.
Pretty sure he was also on a ton of speed at that point.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Gundam protagonists, especially in the UC Timeline, tend to be incredibly hosed up individuals starting out. Or become hosed up. Or stay hosed up all throughout the series.

Case in point: Kamille Bidan, who started off his illustrious career as a Gundam protagonist by leaping a barrier to punch a military officer in the face because he overheard the guy saying his name sounded girly, being arrested and interrogated for said public assult of a military officer, then proceeded to escape from custody and steal a prototype mobile suit for /no other reason/ than to enact petty vengence on his interrogator, before joining up with the AEUG after realizing that his repeated shitfits over his name and subsequent fallout to his actions kiiiiind of landed him in deep poo poo with what was essentially the Earth Federation's version of the KGB.

Our hero everybody, a man who escapes custody, steals military hardware, goes on a violent rampage against military personnel, and then joins what is essentially a rebellion against his own government... all because someone said Kamille sounds like a girl's name.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rorahusky posted:

Gundam protagonists, especially in the UC Timeline, tend to be incredibly hosed up individuals starting out. Or become hosed up. Or stay hosed up all throughout the series.

Case in point: Kamille Bidan, who started off his illustrious career as a Gundam protagonist by leaping a barrier to punch a military officer in the face because he overheard the guy saying his name sounded girly, being arrested and interrogated for said public assult of a military officer, then proceeded to escape from custody and steal a prototype mobile suit for /no other reason/ than to enact petty vengence on his interrogator, before joining up with the AEUG after realizing that his repeated shitfits over his name and subsequent fallout to his actions kiiiiind of landed him in deep poo poo with what was essentially the Earth Federation's version of the KGB.

Our hero everybody, a man who escapes custody, steals military hardware, goes on a violent rampage against military personnel, and then joins what is essentially a rebellion against his own government... all because someone said Kamille sounds like a girl's name.

To clarify, not even to his face! Jerid just heard someone call for "Kamille" turn and see Fa running to Kamille and go "Huh, I thought Kamille was a girls name, that's clearly a guy." Not even saying it like TOO Kamille and going "Kamille? Ha! You have a girls name!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's a reason Camille is the best Gundam protagonist.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PoptartsNinja posted:

ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXOCzB35kFY

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think in terms of sheer units destroyed, Heero Yui is top of the list, but in fairness, half those machines destroyed were his own.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I mean, Heero Yui is practically a Leo Ace with all of the Gundam's he's blown up :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I think in terms of sheer units destroyed, Heero Yui is top of the list, but in fairness, half those machines destroyed were his own.

Looking up stats, apparently Trowa has the highest killcount of any Gundam pilot on screen. (I know. I was surprised too.) He even beat Amuro. Stock footage of Leos exploding is apparently good for something after all.

Of course, the only data I could find was pretty old, so I can't get the numbers for Setsuna, Flit, or Mikazuki (Who had a couple of years of offscreen mercenary work adding to whatever his on-screen total was), but it's interesting to see things like that.

And, of course, nobody matched Breniss Ox.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

...No.

That would be Garrod Ran, obviously. :colbert:

chiasaur11 posted:

Looking up stats, apparently Trowa has the highest killcount of any Gundam pilot on screen. (I know. I was surprised too.) He even beat Amuro. Stock footage of Leos exploding is apparently good for something after all.

Of course, the only data I could find was pretty old, so I can't get the numbers for Setsuna, Flit, or Mikazuki (Who had a couple of years of offscreen mercenary work adding to whatever his on-screen total was), but it's interesting to see things like that.

Wait, seriously? I honestly thought it'd be...well Amuro would have been my first guess given that he had 2 series and a movie to rack up a kill count, but I'm surprised that Garrod wasn't mentioned. Cause, y'know, Satellite Cannon and all that...

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

To be fair to Trowa, his fighting style is pretty much "spray and pray", except he adds missiles into the mix (and maybe once in a while remembers that the original Heavyarms has a knife as well). With that attitude, coupled with Gundam Wing's entire "we are totally a serious show, stop laughing at all the absurdity, no really stop it please take us seriously" atmosphere, it's no surprise that Trowa's got the most on-screen kills to date barring the more recent shows like you mentioned.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

To be fair to Trowa, his fighting style is pretty much "spray and pray", except he adds missiles into the mix (and maybe once in a while remembers that the original Heavyarms has a knife as well). With that attitude, coupled with Gundam Wing's entire "we are totally a serious show, stop laughing at all the absurdity, no really stop it please take us seriously" atmosphere, it's no surprise that Trowa's got the most on-screen kills to date barring the more recent shows like you mentioned.

It's pretty hard to tell with 00, especially with the movie, but I think it's unlikely IBO set any new records. It's mostly smaller scale engagements, especially in the first season, with fights every couple of episodes instead of guaranteed before the credits.

That said, since it's all up on youtube, might as well try and check some of the numbers for myself. Should be manageable.

Edit: Aaand, done. Just checked. Allowing for some assumptions to smooth the process, (e.g. that every mobile suit that, say, has another mobile suit tossed at so hard they both go flying counts as a kill), Mikazuki downed 101 suits, 1 ship, and 1 mobile armor shown onscreen. Checking against the list I was referencing, that actually makes the top ten for animated.

Higher than I thought going in.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 9, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It's worth noting these kill counts aren't the most accurately counted things. things get hazy with group kills

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Cima has the highest kill-count anyway. :smug:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

...No.

That would be Garrod Ran, obviously. :colbert:

Wait, seriously? I honestly thought it'd be...well Amuro would have been my first guess given that he had 2 series and a movie to rack up a kill count, but I'm surprised that Garrod wasn't mentioned. Cause, y'know, Satellite Cannon and all that...

While Garrod is an awesome protagonist and one of my favs, his kill count is pretty low despite his Gundam having a WMD because, unlike Heero Yuy, who used HIS WMD as though it were an All-Purpose Problem Solver, Garrod only deploys the Satellite Cannon outside of the first few instance when he really needs it, and even then only once or twice turns that WMD on actual people.

Heck, the number of times he actually does bust it out are pretty sparce, almost like the writers remembered that something that is capable of glassing an entire forest and everything within it in one shot (No seriously, this is what happened the very first time he fired it. One second he's in a heavily forested area, the next he's standing in a blank, featureless landscape marked only by the scorch marks of his gun) is a Big Deal, and treats it like the Big Deal that it is.

He fired the Sat Cannon once in the initial episodes at Tiffa's prompting to save them both from the hordes of Vultures who wanted to kill them and steal the Gundam for fat wads of cash, a second time against the Mobile Armor that was bombarding them from afar that the Alternative Company had. A third time was to deal with the whole Exploding Nuclear Reactor thing. He sort of used it a fourth time against the Submarine, where he called down the Microwave Beam, then moved out of the way so it would flash evaporate the entire lake the sub was hiding in, and then after that he loses it when Carris wrecks his poo poo.

Once he gets the Double Sat Cannon, he uses that to blow up an entire god drat island as a /warning shot/, then doesn't use it again until he decides to grab the Space Revolutionary Army by the balls and squeeze in order to get them to cough up Tiffa. After that he doesn't use it again until the finale against the Frost Brothers.

Six times throughout the entire series he used it. Seven if you count the Lake instance where he didn't actually charge the Sat Cannon, and just used the Microwave Beam from the moon to make the biggest steam explosion anyone has ever seen.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AradoBalanga posted:

Trowa's a Gurren Lagann character who wound up in a Gundam show by mistake. Can you imagine what he'd be like with infinite ammo? He might actually hit what he's aiming at for once!

Rorahusky posted:

Gundam X Space Gun stuff

Huh, it's been a while since I used it, but I remember it almost being a 'once an episode/two-parter' thing. I only got through the first half, admittedly, but I remember it being used way more than a handful of times.

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 9, 2018

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Agreed.

What other Gundam pilot can go Super Saiyan, fire off Hadoukens, and defeats Satan with the power of love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkIJYrjUYyQ

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Huh, it's been a while since I used it, but I remember it almost being a 'once an episode/two-parter' thing. I only got through the first half, admittedly, but I remember it being used way more than a handful of times.

It only seems that way because early on, Garrod was kind of a doof who viewed the Sat Cannon as just a really big gun/trump card to bust out if he got in deep poo poo. Then around Episode 13 he loses it altogether after Carris pushes his poo poo back in, and by the time he gets the Double X and its even more OP Twin Satellite Cannon, Garrod has grown enough as a person to realize that pulling the trigger on a gun capable of leveling entire islands or space colonies is a gigantic responsibility, and basically stops using it unless the situation /actually/ calls for it.

That said, he does use it as a deterrent a few times, such as the time he got two opposing armies to stop fighting and run the gently caress away just by pointing it in their direction and going 'Y'all might wanna move'.

And then there's this awesome moment (Warning, Spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vhDEHllaz4

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 9, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Good points, but I realize I misspoke earlier - I did watch Gundam X too (and loved it), so I'm aware of how sparingly the Cannon was used in the series. What I meant to say was "I can't believe that all of the MSs he glassed in the first episode didn't put him higher on the killcount list as it is."

Though he is the only Gundam protagonist who can claim a dammed Colony Laser as a confirmed kill, which definitely puts him in a league of his own. :allears:

VhenRa
Aug 1, 2016

Rorahusky posted:

And then there's this awesome moment (Warning, Spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vhDEHllaz4

And that right there is another example of why Garrod Ran is best Gundam protagonist.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I do admit, Zeta Gundam's better with a laughtrack.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let's Play Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 0079 Rise from the Ashes

Mobile Suit of the Week: RX-77-2 Guncannon

'Nuff Said.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kai Shiden is the greatest hero of the One Year War, and I won't hear a word otherwise.

And the Guncannon MP is my favorite suit to use in this game. Heavy armor, big guns, no switching between melee and ranged to make juggling enemies tricky. You need to plan a little for fighting mobile enemies, but the sheer hurt you can inflict more than makes up for it.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 16, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

It's weird with the existence of the Guntank that the Guncannon feels like the Boss Borot of Mobile Suit Gundam. Don't ask me why I feel this way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's weird with the existence of the Guntank that the Guncannon feels like the Boss Borot of Mobile Suit Gundam. Don't ask me why I feel this way.

It's probably because the Guncannon is the comic relief.

Ryu and Hayato are much worse pilots than Kai, but they don't have memorable scenes of failure. The Guntank sucks in a mundane, forgettable way.

Kai, no matter if he's just starting out and flailing like a maniac or one of the best pilots in the Federation, is constantly causing visual gags.

Top that off with Kai, like Boss, being the boss of a gang of JDs, and the association makes sense, even if the Guncannon is, you know, good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It helps that, even though Kai is a total coward, he is fully committed to his battlefield role: preventing the Zekes from swarming Amuro under with numbers by piloting a distractingly red and extremely vulnerable Mobile Suit.

I would honestly say he's uniquely suited to the role as he's not prone to kill hunting the way a gung-ho fighter would be. He rarely gets himself in over his head, which also means there are consequences every time he does.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 16, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

It helps that, even though Kai is a total coward, he is fully committed to his battlefield role: preventing the Zekes from swarming Amuro under with numbers by piloting a distractingly red and extremely vulnerable Mobile Suit.

I would honestly say he's uniquely suited to the role as he's not prone to kill hunting the way a gung-ho fighter would be. He rarely gets himself in over his head, which also means there are consequences every time he does.

"The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

Kai might whine, scream, and occasionally wet his pants, but when the rubber hits the road, he doesn't falter. For a coward, he does a terrible job of being a coward.

(He does have excellent survival instincts, though. Kind of have to if you survive the UC for as long as he has.)

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Kai did outlast both Hayato and Amuro, depending on how you view Amuro going MIA after Axis Shock.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let's Play Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 0079 Rise from the Ashes

Mobile Suit of the Week: Other Peoples' Houses

The most devastating Mobile Weapon of the One Year War, Other Peoples' Houses. Other Peoples' Houses have sparked more conflict than any other weapon in history. The Duchy of Zeon covet Other Peoples' Houses, the Federated Union of Earth wants to control what goes on in Other Peoples' Houses, and most dangerous of all other people obsess over what happens in Other Peoples' Houses and neglect what's happening in their own until it's far, far too late: their house has been weaponized!

Other Peoples' Houses are also the single greatest threat TheLastRoboKy's House has ever faced.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 1, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Counterargument: The post disaster timeline had 72 project super-devils, and they were the primary reason humanity didn't go extinct. Including Astaroth.

(Also, the Ishtar association is totally a thing. It's even up on wikipedia.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Goddamn spacenoids get off my lawn. Get off the crater where my lawn used to be. Get off my crushed existence.

• Locked thread