Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Let's Play Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 0079 Rise from the Ashes

Published on August 26, 1999 for the Sega Dreamcast, Rise from the Incredibly Long Title is a surprisingly good simulator and definitely ranks in the top two of all the games I've owned for the Sega Dreamcast*. Sadly, I can't decide whether this or Powerstone is better, but this is infinitely more LP-able so this is the LP you'll get! Joining me in the full commentary version will be the omnipresent and omni-talented coolguy as well as the effervescent ghost of TheLastRoboKy

Set in the mythical land of Australia in the wake of the Duchy of Zeon dropping a giant space hotel on TheLastRoboKy's house, Rise from the Ashes is a game about war and definitely isn't just 008th MS Team with the serial numbers filed off and the love story tossed in the dumpster where it belonged. We play the White Dingo Mobile Suit Team, and as such we are in in direct competition with Blue Swan, Red Opossum, Yellow Quokka, and Green Echidna as we strive to reassemble the pieces of the silver monkey and make our way past the temple guardians to please the ancient talking head, Olmec.

Cast and Characters
This game actually has a cast!

Fang-1 - Master Pierce Rayer
The player insert and all around GM Ace, Pierce Rayer is a faceless mute in game. Also appearing as a surprisingly capable non-Newtype pilot in the strategy game Ghiren's Greed, Pierce Rayer becomes almost single-handedly responsible for driving the Duchy of Zeon back onto their space boats and sending them back to Africa.

Fang-2 - Leung Lee-Fai
Is totally definitely not a spy, honest! Fortunately, he's a spy for Federal Intelligence, sent to Australia to keep his eyes on a very specific bunch of McGuffins that we really don't want the Duchy of Zeon to have. Don't worry though, it won't take us that long to find all of the Cyber Planet Keys and stop the Duchy of Zeon from restoring Unicron Ashtaroth to life.

Fang-3 - Steve Blum
Steven Jay Blum is an American voice actor of anime, animation and video games known for his distinctive deep voice. He provides the voice of TOM, the host of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim's Toonami programming block. For some reason the game keeps calling him Mike.

Oasis - Anita Julianne
Anita drives the Type-74 hovertruck made famous by the whiny crybaby and the guy named after a Lord of the Rings Elf from 008th Mobile Suit Team. As such, she is our radar and is invaluable to finding and killing the last Zaku that's gotten its stupid rear end stuck in a hole somewhere on the map. As she is not a mobile suit pilot, Anita didn't get a stat card in Ghiren's Greed but does turn up in a couple of that game's cutscenes. She and Pierce Rayer get married after the war, and then get killed by Camille Bidan in Zeta Gundam. CAMILLE IS A MAN'S NAME!

Bob Rock
Bob is the White Dingo Team's mechanic. He tells us what our guns do and makes sure we get new mobile suits when I inevitably get my GM's head blown off in Episode 8. He has the best name. :allears:

Olmec
Gives us our briefings before every sortie.

Visch "Wild Thunder" Donahue
Totally not Norris with an Eyepatch What are you Talking About, and definitely not Char Aznable, Visch Donahue is the only Zeon ace stupid enough to get posted to Australia. He leads the local training battalion and his troops like him. He's about as trustworthy as a pile of free birdseed and he's definitely a baddie. His personal "I'm trying to one up Char Aznable" ace logo looks like this:

Two lightning bolts and a skull. Classy SS reference you Nazi cyclops gently caress.

*Games I've owned for the Sega Dreamcast:
- Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 0079 Rise from the Ashes
- Powerstone

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mobile Suit of the Week: Type-74 Hovertruck

Perhaps the single most deadly unit of the One Year War, the Type-74 is a truck that can loving fly. It's also capable of shooting sound waves through the ground, causing tsunamis, earthquakes, and most deadly of all: granting radar to a video game player character. The demonic Type-74 is spoken of only in terrified whispers even among the soldiers of the Earth Federal Forces, while the Duchy of Zeon have dubbed them the Dämon LKW

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 14, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Steve Blum is a national treasure. :allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm sorry about your house.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

EponymousMrYar posted:

I remember gifs of this truck that you posted which both confirmed this and which were pretty hilarious. I don't remember what show they were from though. This saddens me almost as much as the loss of Roboky's house.

That was the slightly different but essentially identical Space Truck from Gundam AGE! :pseudo:

It's a different vehicle entirely, you can tell because it looks almost exactly the same. Gundam Age was such a great show with so many new and original ideas.

Edit: It was also hilarious after the budget ran out.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 15, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

You can't post stuff like that without posting the best one, where the movie (aka, the one with a decentish budget) thought a beam saber was a solid object when it gets cut in half.

I don't remember where I put that one, so have this one instead since it's equally fuckin' stupid.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Materant posted:

Boy am I glad I didn't watch AGE. I think that beam saber levitating out of his hand and planting itself like a solid sword would have made me scream.

AGE is bad in that stupid sort of way that makes it kinda fun to watch (once).

For example, the 13 year-old 3rd main character's father (the 2nd main character) goes into space as the 3mc is being born and just sorta vanishes without a trace one day, leaving the newborn 3mc (and the 2mc's wife) to fend for themselves.

Turned out he just had a midlife crisis and decided to become a space pirate, ghosting his whole family in the process. He could have called since he wasn't actually opposing the world government or anything, he just didn't loving bother because he got himself a sweet chair with a skull on it and an eyepatch.

For thirteen years.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

nine-gear crow posted:

Akihiro Hino is not a good writer...

Fortunately, all of the good ideas from AGE got reused for Iron Blooded Orphans.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Which is honestly a shame. The AGE Model Kits were fantastic and a lot of their grunt suits really pushed the envelope of flexibility.

Plus, some of their designs were amaz--

--pretty goo--

--passa--

--Somewhat Oka--

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

Commander Cima Garahau

Only a "good" Zeke insofar as she was doing her best to kill Kou Uraki.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, this is honestly a really fun game. It's just short enough that you can beat it in an afternoon and just varied enough that you don't notice how tiny the maps are.

They really did what they could considering the Dreamcast's limitations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
My favorite "Theory of Gundam" is that it's essentially Tomino's attempt to wrap his head around the idea that his parents, friends' parents, neighbors, and etc. were part of something monstrous just over two decades prior.

There are good individual people who were a part of the Duchy of Zeon and the ideals they believed in weren't necessarily bad, but the methods employed by the Zeon were absolutely abhorrent and those methods taint the results until nothing good can come of them. At that point, people are being swept into barbarity by sheer momentum and the only moral choice is to resist at all costs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Also G-Reco is good just saying that now so people know how crazy I am.

G-Reco is good.

Steer is the best.

Edit: It also had the best eyecatches

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 18, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Quicksilver6 posted:

Um, just to be clear, you didn't actually kill any civilians, right? Because they would have mentioned it?

I did not (I did blow up a warehouse), but the Zekes stomped on a lot of houses. I don't get penalized for anything the Zeon do unless the buildings get destroyed because I killed them, or on one later mission if they accidentally destroy a very specific building.

My final score was not penalized because none of the water tanks got destroyed, it will be penalized later because I miss shooting down a helicopter I forgot existed. I was mostly bringing the bazooka to show you can do that mission cleanly even with the splash damage weapon.

The better choice is to bring the GM Cannon but gently caress that thing, it's garbage.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mobile Suit of the Week: DFA-03 Dopp

The Duchy of Zeon's most commonly-deployed Mobile Suit, the Dopp has a few notable flaws that made it ill-suited to combat roles in the earliest phases of the war. Featuring paired 20mm vulcan guns and a pair of 6-tube 30mm rocket launchers, the Dopp's firepower was considered quite respectable during the first three months of the war. Speedy and small enough to evade most incoming fire, the Dopp had one notable design flaw that limited its usefulness during the first months of the war: its twin turbine jet engines require an atmosphere to function, and there is no atmosphere in space.

This has lead the Dopp to having an undeserved reputation for being a bit of a deathtrap and a pilot killer. The Dopp would not see widespread use until the Duchy of Zeon's widespread ground invasion of the Planet Earth. The invasion of Earth gave the Dopp a new lease on life. While this hasn't been enough to redeem it in the eyes of the Duchy of Zeon, the sad truth is they made so many of the things they have no choice but to continue using them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mobile Suit of the Week: OZ-06MS Leo

The Leo is one of the highest-performance grunt suits to ever appear in the One Year War. Strong, fast, and powerful the Leo is beloved by its Mobile Suit Warriors and military fetishists of all sorts. Carrying a shield, a beam saber, and a 105mm cannon stock, the Leo can be upgraded with both beam weaponry and even powerful shoulder-mounted Dober Guns capable of damaging even Gundanium Alloy. The Leo was only assigned to the most prestigious of Zeon units, and fans (American Fans in particular) were disappointed to learn it does not appear in this game at all. All is not lost, however, as this rarely seen mobile suit will be getting a model kit release later this month!

All isn't bullets and roses for the Leo, however. Its designers missed a serious design flaw, causing it to explode immediately in the presence of Gundanium Alloy. We have assembled a few rare pictures of the Leo in its natural habitat:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'll take another look at it.

I was trying to make sure people could hear our CO pronounce Green Echidna as "Green Eck-Ack-Oh-Donna" at the start of the briefing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Guncannon MPT is pretty well a necessity on a first-time play. Those shoulder cannons have a little bit of a fire delay and can't be reloaded, but they hit as hard as the Beam Rifle.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Google translates his name to Anabelle Gateaux, which I now consider canon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's a reason Camille is the best Gundam protagonist.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I do admit, Zeta Gundam's better with a laughtrack.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mobile Suit of the Week: RX-77-2 Guncannon

'Nuff Said.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It helps that, even though Kai is a total coward, he is fully committed to his battlefield role: preventing the Zekes from swarming Amuro under with numbers by piloting a distractingly red and extremely vulnerable Mobile Suit.

I would honestly say he's uniquely suited to the role as he's not prone to kill hunting the way a gung-ho fighter would be. He rarely gets himself in over his head, which also means there are consequences every time he does.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 16, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mobile Suit of the Week: Other Peoples' Houses

The most devastating Mobile Weapon of the One Year War, Other Peoples' Houses. Other Peoples' Houses have sparked more conflict than any other weapon in history. The Duchy of Zeon covet Other Peoples' Houses, the Federated Union of Earth wants to control what goes on in Other Peoples' Houses, and most dangerous of all other people obsess over what happens in Other Peoples' Houses and neglect what's happening in their own until it's far, far too late: their house has been weaponized!

Other Peoples' Houses are also the single greatest threat TheLastRoboKy's House has ever faced.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 1, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ok, confession time. I've been dragging my feet a little releasing this LP.

I had originally planned to build a model kit as I played, and release work-in-progress pictures. It was probably going to be a Hi-Mock, or a GM Sniper II (I love the GM Sniper II), or maybe something out of left field like the Turn X or the Heavyarms or the Efreet. Then, when I was finished, at the last minute I was going to show the "finished model kit"--and reveal none other than Bandai's Darth Vader.

But I was browsing Amazon while making my final decision, and I stumbled upon the perfect model kit to build for the LP. Unfortunately, I'd have to have it shipped which can take 2-6 weeks depending on customs. That model kit has just arrived, and it is none other than...

Dah-dah-dah-daaaah!

Other Peoples' Houses!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dr. Snark posted:

But RoboKy, how would you fire Australia at space?

:downsrim:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mobile Suit of the Week Month? poo poo: Dom

Of all the rear end in a top hat Zeon mobile suits, the Dom is by far the coolest. It's a Mobile Suit with effectively Giant Robot Roller Skates. The Dom's too cool to walk anywhere, if it really wanted to a Dom could T-Pose across the modern 0079 battlefield like an honest to god engine glitch, blinding people with the giant flashlight it has built into its chest before committing some warcrimes with its cluster grenades.

I kinda lost track of this what with restarting the BattleTech thread and everything. Sorry about that!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

thetruegentleman posted:

Lies! You're just trying to oppress Zeon because your from Earth :downs:!

Well, yes.

I am 100% down for oppressing the Zeon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

Fun fact? In just a few short years, due to the endless space wars, EFF records have been so hosed up that if you and some buddies call in and go "Uh, we're with the EFF on long range patrol. Give us more guns, ammunition, and repairs. We might not be in the books", it will actually work.

That's not the crazy bit. The crazy bit is that the Earth Federal Forces would be 100% correct in sending supplies to that unit, because by that point 99% of all Zeon remnants are incapable of making it through two entire sentences without squeezing in a "Feddie scum" or a "Zeig Zeon."

The Feddies can be reasonably certain that they're either sending supplies to an actual EFF unit, or to a band of plucky magic teenagers hell bent on defeating some new atrocity.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mobile Suit of the Week Month? poo poo: MAX-03 Chop Chop Helicopter Onion

Chop Chop Helicopter Onion is one of the single most dangerous mobile suits of the One Year War and totally wasn't beaten in a single episode of the TV series never to appear again.

TheLastRoboky's Bane Model Update:

The interior of the Space Colony I'm secretly going to mail to Roboky when this is all done (kidding I don't know his address) was completely unmodeled, as were the solar panels. The manufacturer did include some stickers to put on the inside of the colony to make it look a little less lovely but, uh. gently caress that.

I have Green Stuff!

I know how to paint!

And I own flock! The solar panels I fixed with zip ties and metallic paint. Zip ties are nice because the stick to modeling glue just fine and with a shiny metallic coat of paint they catch the light at odd angles which makes them look like hundreds of tiny mirrors.

Stickers suck!

• Locked thread