Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I AM MAD. MAD ABOUT ZEON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

Well given all of the Zeon apologists both in the UC and in reality someone has to be!

Not even Thunderbolt could make me feel anything but disdain for Zeon, and that starts out as a show about a dude that likes jazz bullying Zeon cripples.

Coolguye posted:

i am still preening about being able to identify blum when both of these guys couldn't btw

my hearing is the best

I can only express my passive aggressiveness towards your preening through various vaguely related Gundam series images

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

SS-Kumei posted:

I'm not saying you should forgive Zeon, but they have some cool mobile suits, and on a more relevant note they weren't aiming for Australia, the Feddies kind of stopped it short by an ocean. Zeon was aiming for Brazil if I'm not mistaken. Still dropped a colony, so that's fair.

Don't think I don't have a Gundam series image for this too.

The only good Zeek, is a Zeek that never crawls out of its stinking Side.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I just want to say I never said the only good Zeek was a dead Zeek because a dead Zeek is usually gripping the controls of a mobile armour as he dies for a really stupid reason and crashes on top of some bystanders in the process. Perhaps screaming "SIEG ZEON" or something before they croak to try to make it seem like a noble sacrifice.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

When your response to "Son, you're acting a bit like Adolf Hilter" is "Hitler was a pansy, I'll show you how it's done", you're probably not a good person.

"See dad, I feel like the word atrocity is too small. I want to make an atrocountry, or maybe an atroearth."

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Night10194 posted:

It's interesting to see mobile suit combat from a cockpit instead of third person.

It's something I would genuinely love to see more of these days but still only with the One Year War stuff, cause we start getting into stuff like F91 and you'll see my after-breakfast with mass from going too fast.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

My favorite "Theory of Gundam" is that it's essentially Tomino's attempt to wrap his head around the idea that his parents, friends' parents, neighbors, and etc. were part of something monstrous just over two decades prior.

There are good individual people who were a part of the Duchy of Zeon and the ideals they believed in weren't necessarily bad, but the methods employed by the Zeon were absolutely abhorrent and those methods taint the results until nothing good can come of them. At that point, people are being swept into barbarity by sheer momentum and the only moral choice is to resist at all costs.

As far as I'm aware/concerned Zeon is 100% meant to be Japan and the "good people" are definitely meant to be "Look what our war has made good people do". It's hard not to find a "Holy gently caress Japan look what you did" metaphor/symbolic moment somewhere in the Tomino Gundam shows. Hell, the old man's final Gundam series Reconquista in G is basically Tomino taking shots at politicans trying to water down Japan's pacifist constitution.

Also G-Reco is good just saying that now so people know how crazy I am.

Night10194 posted:

I mean it's always been really clear to me that Zeon is way more Imperial Japan than Nazi Germany.

E: Basically, from what I understand, Gundam is about a flawed society fighting against a foe that attacked them first and the war is corrupting, bloody, and lovely even as it's necessary.

The argument that Tomino is making is that "no matter what the justification, the losses suffered and the suffering inflicted on everyone are unacceptable and ruin us for generations, we can only hope that the young people whose lives we've directly affected through this can find a different way forwards." Of course seeing how Zeta and ZZ go Tomino wasn't exactly hopeful.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

glocknar posted:

Also love how the direct contact communications work, simply because this is actually a thing that happens in universe. None of the more common nonsense of shouting at each other over open comms.

It's my favourite thing, from little moments in various UC stuff where a force moving in has a mobile suit rest its hand on another or fire a connecting wire so they can talk, to moments in G-Reco where two suits loving headbutt each other and the pilots starting yelling at one another.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Are there any other simulator style Gundam games or is it all Dynasty Warriors from here out?

Zeonic Front is Gundam meets original Rainbow Six and is really REALLY rough around the edges.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Poking around there's also Blue Destiny but it comes across as far quicker in pace and seems a bit more arcadey but is still cockpit focus (also it was on the SEGA Saturn).

Edit: Also apparently there's another UC era series coming out called Mobile Suit Gundam: Narrative set shortly after Unicorn and the main character is Australian. I'm emailing Sunrise for a scene where he punches a Neo Neo Neo Zeon Remnant and yells "THIS IS FOR ROBOKY'S HOUSE. IT HAD A NICE VIEW OF A REALLY BIG LAKE. NOW IT'S THE OCEAN."

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 20, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Gundam novels are always pretty wacky affairs and tend to double down on the extreme sides of things.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Gato is one of the worst characters to ever exist in Gundam ever, which is okay cause he's meant to be a gigantic moronic delusional hypocrite who only lives as long as he does because he once dated the least rational woman on the loving planet. He's also what I imagine a person looks like when they try to tell me Zeon aren't too bad for whatever reason, usually telling me this while piloting a mobile armour and committing some self-righteous atrocity in the process.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I'm not really surprised I got the Blue Destiny thing wrong, though that means I've confused it with something else involving someone getting sort of ripped into pieces for computer parts. Maybe I was thinking about what happened to the friendly fella on the moon in Gundam X.

Also Gato is recruitable in SRW games specifically so you can send him flying ahead of everyone to die. Just put him in something cheap and flammable.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Also while we're on the subject everyone needs to stop letting people try to induce Newtype powers in people it's a terrible idea stop making people crazy.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Sadly, according to a recent poll, he's also the eighth or eleventh most popular Gundam character.

(The most popular character is either Char or, in the portion of the poll that places Gato closer to his rightful place as the worst, Orga Itsuka.)

I'm starting to think the Japanese love abject failures almost as much as I do.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Cima has the highest kill-count anyway. :smug:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

It's weird with the existence of the Guntank that the Guncannon feels like the Boss Borot of Mobile Suit Gundam. Don't ask me why I feel this way.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Goddamn spacenoids get off my lawn. Get off the crater where my lawn used to be. Get off my crushed existence.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

habituallyred posted:

I want to speak in defence of the guntank for a moment. Imagine you are building a spacecraft for military purposes. There are guns and turrets on every facing, yes? But the White Base is not designed to look like a warship or spend all of its time in space. So it has this big featureless bottom that is constantly being threatened. Put one or more guntanks on there and the problem is solved.

Yes but it has a high profile, low mobility and is very very silly. If anything threatens the White Base's underside just have Kai throw a rock at it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

That's it I'm firing a colony at space.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

brb moving to Brisbane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I don't remember where I found this but it's very appropriate.

• Locked thread