Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Onmi posted:

And then Unicorn decided that actually they're the Illuminati and the Republic of Zeon isn't valid because the President decided to let the EFF soldiers on Side 3 (Non-existent) go all Rape of Nanking on a Colony. Which isn't appropriate on many levels.

That's putting it a bit strong, isn't it? I think the show definitely does show the Federation in a better light than Neo-Zeon in the end: its extremist elements are taken care of, Martha Vyst is led away in handcuffs. On the other side, Neo-Zeon is more uniformly extremist, while the enlightened Zinnerman and his crew defect to work with the Nahel Agarma. While there are good and bad Feds, at the end of the show there are only bad Zeon and good ex-Zeon. Maybe the more sympathetic Sleeves had their reasons for continuing the fight, maybe the author was a little too insistent that they were good and admirable reasons, but by the end of the show those reasons no longer mattered, and the important thing to do was for everyone to escape their daddy issues and make a better future that probably doesn't have much Zeon.

There's also the scene where Loni slaughters civilians because she is literally possessed by the evil spirit of Zeon, but I guess that was only in the show?

I'm pretty sure the show made it sound like Zinnerman's family was on Earth. I do know that he said they lived in a village, which certainly doesn't suggest a space colony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Onmi posted:

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mahdi_Garvey

And why would Zinnerman, a Spacenoid, have a family in a village on Earth?
Zeon slots right in to the theme of inheriting violence and hatred. When Loni first heard her father's voice, we do not, nor do we see his face, but the camera does zoom in on the Zeon symbol. The connection between Zeon and murder in the name of old grudges is made pretty clear. Maybe the novel was really wingnutty, but the show on its own did not seem to be so. (Unless there was some real- life issue that would have been super-obvious to a Japanese audience? I guess could see the Newtype clause in the charter as an allegory for amending the Japanese constitution to allow remilitarization)

I guess I had assumed that Zinnerman was like the Blue Team in ZZ, an Earthnoid who had joined up because Zeon's cause intersected with some more local cause.

• Locked thread