Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Speaking of voice actors being secret Zeon sympathizers, I'm pretty sure your other squadmate's VA is the same guy who does Ramba Ral in MSG Origin.

I'm beginning to think that we're among a flock of wolves here given that your squadmates may or may not be two of Zeon's greatest aces :v:

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I AM MAD. MAD ABOUT ZEON.

Well given all of the Zeon apologists both in the UC and in reality someone has to be!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, to be fair, the cool jazz rear end in a top hat did used to live in the colony Zeon had everyone exterminated to use as a sniper's nest to kill his friends.

Honestly, I'm capable of feeling sympathetic to Zeon, if by that you mean one of the following:

1) The anti-Zabi faction in The Plot to Assassinate Gihren. (They had a guy say Sieg Zeon in a context where I was actually cheering for him! I didn't believe it could happen either!)

2) Ramble Ral.

Ral's a good guy.

I'll add on a #3: Bernie "Hamburger" Wiseman, who probably wins the award for "Nicest Guy In Zeon."

Granted that's not exactly a difficult feat to achieve all things considered...

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Are there any other simulator style Gundam games or is it all Dynasty Warriors from here out?

As far as I know it's either Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Gundam vs., or Gundam Breaker from here in.

Not like any of those are bad mind you, but obviously none of em are as gritty as this one.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 20, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Why are there so many goddamn Zeon remnants, anyway. It seems every week someone turns over a rock and some new Zekes crawl out from under it.

It's basically because there's a bunch of big-name Zekes that survived the One Year War and still really wanna stick it to the Feddies. Case in point:

Anavel Gato and the Delaz Fleet (Let's nuke some Feddies!)
Haman Karn (twice) (I'LL SHOW YOU, CHAR)
Glemy Toto (Becoming Gihren 2.0 sounds like a great idea!)
Char Aznable (twice, kind of) (Time to drop a rock on Earth!)
Full Frontal (technically Char again) (Let's do what Char did!)

That, or thanks to Federation war crimes (hi, Zinnerman!) there's a bunch of people out there who just want some good old-fashioned revenge and figure throwing in their lot with the Zeon remnant group of the day.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 20, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

You'd think they would run out of colonies to make new empires out of at some point.

To be fair they do try to keep dropping said colonies/asteroids on Earth.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Calax posted:

To be fair, Char also fought to help the Feddies.

And Paptimus Sirrocco who came from Jupiter, and somehow had mental sex magic to make (almost) all the ladies want him.

Yeah, but Sirrocco wasn't a Zeke. And I don't understand what you mean when you say that Char fought with the Federation. I mean, there was this one guy around during that thing with the Titans that looked, acted and sounded exactly like him but he clearly was not Char Aznable. Obviously.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

The awkward thing about the Feddie war crimes for Zimmerman is that, going by everything but Unicorn...

they didn't happen.

Also, they couldn't happen. Like, at all.

Federation troops never set foot on Side 3. Zeon surrendered in time to keep some autonomy, in part due to the fact Prime Minister Bakharov really didn't like Gihren.

In fact, Side 3's policy during the Gryps conflict was pro-Titans, because the Republic hated the Zabis that much.

Unicorn doesn't fit very well with the previous history of the U.C., is what I'm saying.

...Uh...I think you're taking about the novel or something because in the TV series Zinnerman's family died in a counterterrorist operation gone wrong on Earth. Unless I am seriously mis-remembering things...

Onmi posted:

*snip*

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the novel or whatever (which from my understanding was in fact pretty bad). The series was not like that - there was a moment early on where that kind of rhetoric was brought up and Banagher's response was "Didn't Zeon drop colonies on people? I don't think that makes them the good guys." It was all about ending the cycle of hatred and things like that.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 21, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

DKD posted:

I'm pretty sure the show made it sound like Zinnerman's family was on Earth. I do know that he said they lived in a village, which certainly doesn't suggest a space colony.

I rewatched the episode in question, and the reason I thought the town in question was on Earth was because the animation for it didn't have the "space colony look" for lack of a better way of putting it. Honestly I didn't even know that it was actually on a Side until I was told otherwise.

Onmi posted:

And why would Zinnerman, a Spacenoid, have a family in a village on Earth?

He served as a soldier and could have potentially been stranded on Earth. Yes I know that's not what happened but that concept is hardly new to the UC (look at Thunderbolt for instance).

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 21, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, from what I've seen the anime tones things way, way down on the pro-Zeon end of things. It keeps some of the things that don't make what is conventionally called "sense", but generally keeps to "Zeon bad, Feddies notably less bad".

The book has things like the Federation attempting to exterminate all religion so that no-one will believe in anything but them. (Which makes very little sense with Al's prayers in 0080, but, you know. Sense. Unicorn.)

:stonk:

Okay yeah now I'm beginning to understand the discussion earlier. It felt like I was hearing about what Gundam Unicorn was like in some bizarro universe or something.

But yes, I can confirm that the anime is not pro-Zeon in the slightest like DKD already talked about. I won't pretend it's flawless by any stretch, but it's waaaaay better than the novel from the sounds of it. If nothing else it's much more optimistic.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 21, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

No really, they just announced a sequel to Unicorn called Gundam NT (short for Narrative) and that the Hathaway's Flash novels are getting a 3-film adaptation as well. Even though Hathaway's Flash runs off the Hi-Streamer/Beltorchika's Children novels and not the Char's Counterattack film, meaning we'd get some serious continuity hiccups if Sunrise tries to connect Hathaway's Flash to CCA.

Oh, we're actually getting an adaptation of Hathaway's Flash? Will wonders never cease (although it kind of showing up in SRW V was probably a sign of things to come).

I'm legit curious as to how that will play out because it's not only going to have to tie in to CCA the movie but it's also going to have to take place after the Unicorn anime which was all about the whole "let go of old hatreds and move forwards" thing. So I'm cautiously optimistic...I think.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

You might want to rebalance the audio Poptarts, it's hard to hear the commentary over the game audio.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that Gato didn't make Zeon's top ace list, and if he hadn't been dumb enough to chase after a Ball thinking it was the Gundam, Amuro would have given him the bug on a windshield treatment.

Didn't that actually happen in one of the games as a what-if thing? I forget the name but I distinctly remember that being a thing.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Materant posted:

Probably thinking Ghiren's Greed, because that's the go-to for what-if-scenarios for Gundam.

No, it was definitely a more action-y one that covered OG Gundam.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Honestly I think it's more because even with all of his negative traits...you can't deny that when it comes to just being a Mobile Suit pilot, Gato is kind of a badass.

Yeah, yeah, call me a Zeke sympathizer, but the fact remains that when you have a one-liner like "SOLOMON! I HAVE RETURNED!" followed by wiping out an entire Feddie fleet in one shot...that kind of awesomeness forgiveth many sins.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

He looks like a badass because none of the actual badasses are in play.

You see him next to Kou, sure. He looks like a total murder machine. But if you saw him up against even a weak newtype pilot, or if the Federation had let Yazan Gable off the leash, different story.

Guys like Ral and Char didn't top the killboards since they ran into Amuro Ray. Gato just wasn't good enough.

Fair, but that's also probably another contributing factor to Gato's popularity. Yes, I agree with you when you say that he'd probably be pasted by any of the bigger names in the series, but in Stardust Memory he's the biggest fish in the pond and he definitely proves it. And when it comes to popularity perception is everything.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's a reason Camille is the best Gundam protagonist.

...No.

That would be Garrod Ran, obviously. :colbert:

chiasaur11 posted:

Looking up stats, apparently Trowa has the highest killcount of any Gundam pilot on screen. (I know. I was surprised too.) He even beat Amuro. Stock footage of Leos exploding is apparently good for something after all.

Of course, the only data I could find was pretty old, so I can't get the numbers for Setsuna, Flit, or Mikazuki (Who had a couple of years of offscreen mercenary work adding to whatever his on-screen total was), but it's interesting to see things like that.

And, of course, nobody matched Breniss Ox.

Wait, seriously? I honestly thought it'd be...well Amuro would have been my first guess given that he had 2 series and a movie to rack up a kill count, but I'm surprised that Garrod wasn't mentioned. Cause, y'know, Satellite Cannon and all that...

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Good points, but I realize I misspoke earlier - I did watch Gundam X too (and loved it), so I'm aware of how sparingly the Cannon was used in the series. What I meant to say was "I can't believe that all of the MSs he glassed in the first episode didn't put him higher on the killcount list as it is."

Though he is the only Gundam protagonist who can claim a dammed Colony Laser as a confirmed kill, which definitely puts him in a league of his own. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

That's it I'm firing a colony at space.

But RoboKy, how would you fire Australia at space?

:downsrim:

• Locked thread