Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh, cool. Poked at this game some, but never really played it. Nice to be in on the ground floor.

Have built some of the model kits, though. Not many playable mobile suits, but it does have single coolest design of the entire One Year War. They actually released a Master Grade of it.

It's a ways off, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Not even Thunderbolt could make me feel anything but disdain for Zeon, and that starts out as a show about a dude that likes jazz bullying Zeon cripples.

Well, to be fair, the cool jazz rear end in a top hat did used to live in the colony Zeon had everyone exterminated to use as a sniper's nest to kill his friends.

Honestly, I'm capable of feeling sympathetic to Zeon, if by that you mean one of the following:

1) The anti-Zabi faction in The Plot to Assassinate Gihren. (They had a guy say Sieg Zeon in a context where I was actually cheering for him! I didn't believe it could happen either!)

2) Ramble Ral.

Ral's a good guy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

I'll add on a #3: Bernie "Hamburger" Wiseman, who probably wins the award for "Nicest Guy In Zeon."

Granted that's not exactly a difficult feat to achieve all things considered...

Oh, right. Cyclops team.

I'd say Hardy was decent enough too, considering how things went in the end. Which, of course, got him stabbed in the back, because Zeon is a bag of dicks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fortunately, all of the good ideas from AGE got reused for Iron Blooded Orphans.

Well, not the hundred year war thing, which could be cool in a better show.

But yeah. IBO is good. Interesting thing, though, is that it was in the preliminary stages just after 00. It just got delayed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Man am I glad I stopped watching after SEED Destiny at times. :v:

Which is probably something I've brought up in some other thread when the topic of Gundam has come up, but whatever.

You missed out on some good stuff, to be honest.

The Origin manga is a great adaptation of the original Gundam, Stargazer is the best SEED gets, Build Fighters has, well, good fights and fun in-jokes, Thunderbolt combines nihilistic high octane action with jazz, and if you want something a bit longer, Iron Blooded Orphans is good. Gets grim, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Don't think I don't have a Gundam series image for this too.

The only good Zeek, is a Zeek that never crawls out of its stinking Side.

Good Zeeks:

Captain Steiner Hardy
Private Bernard Wiseman
Senator Leopold Fieseler
Lt. Ramble Ral
Lt. Col. Lance Garfield.

Edge Case:
Commander Cima Garahau
Prime Minister Darcia Bakharov

You will notice that, contrary to common assessments, the overlap between Good Zeeks and Dead Zeeks is not, in fact, 1:1. However, the ratio is admittedly close enough that the statement is reasonable in a non-scientific context.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Only a "good" Zeke insofar as she was doing her best to kill Kou Uraki.

Thus borderline.

Trying to kill both Kou and Gato covers a multitude of sins.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 17, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lunethex posted:

The post really would have benefited from mentioning that a mobile suit team sent to do the gassing wasn't actually told what they were deploying, which to my understanding caused them to go mad. Then Gihren does Gihren :v:

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Cima_Garahau

They didn't just go mad.

They got angry.

Which is why they betrayed Gato to the Feddies, and would have stopped Operation Stardust, saving millions of lives, if they hadn't been betrayed by Kou and Nina.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Zeonic Front is Gundam meets original Rainbow Six and is really REALLY rough around the edges.

Also, you play as dirty Zekes.

(Seriously, though. The Plot to Assassinate Gihren is good. It's about Space Operation Valkyrie!)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

It's basically because there's a bunch of big-name Zekes that survived the One Year War and still really wanna stick it to the Feddies. Case in point:

Anavel Gato and the Delaz Fleet (Let's nuke some Feddies!)
Haman Karn (twice) (I'LL SHOW YOU, CHAR)
Glemy Toto (Becoming Gihren 2.0 sounds like a great idea!)
Char Aznable (twice, kind of) (Time to drop a rock on Earth!)
Full Frontal (technically Char again) (Let's do what Char did!)

That, or thanks to Federation war crimes (hi, Zinnerman!) there's a bunch of people out there who just want some good old-fashioned revenge and figure throwing in their lot with the Zeon remnant group of the day.

The awkward thing about the Feddie war crimes for Zimmerman is that, going by everything but Unicorn...

they didn't happen.

Also, they couldn't happen. Like, at all.

Federation troops never set foot on Side 3. Zeon surrendered in time to keep some autonomy, in part due to the fact Prime Minister Bakharov really didn't like Gihren.

In fact, Side 3's policy during the Gryps conflict was pro-Titans, because the Republic hated the Zabis that much.

Unicorn doesn't fit very well with the previous history of the U.C., is what I'm saying.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DKD posted:

That's putting it a bit strong, isn't it? I think the show definitely does show the Federation in a better light than Neo-Zeon in the end: its extremist elements are taken care of, Martha Vyst is led away in handcuffs. On the other side, Neo-Zeon is more uniformly extremist, while the enlightened Zinnerman and his crew defect to work with the Nahel Agarma. While there are good and bad Feds, at the end of the show there are only bad Zeon and good ex-Zeon. Maybe the more sympathetic Sleeves had their reasons for continuing the fight, maybe the author was a little too insistent that they were good and admirable reasons, but by the end of the show those reasons no longer mattered, and the important thing to do was for everyone to escape their daddy issues and make a better future that probably doesn't have much Zeon.

There's also the scene where Loni slaughters civilians because she is literally possessed by the evil spirit of Zeon, but I guess that was only in the show?

I'm pretty sure the show made it sound like Zinnerman's family was on Earth. I do know that he said they lived in a village, which certainly doesn't suggest a space colony.

Well, from what I've seen the anime tones things way, way down on the pro-Zeon end of things. It keeps some of the things that don't make what is conventionally called "sense", but generally keeps to "Zeon bad, Feddies notably less bad".

The book has things like the Federation attempting to exterminate all religion so that no-one will believe in anything but them. (Which makes very little sense with Al's prayers in 0080, but, you know. Sense. Unicorn.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You'd better use the Guncannon as much as you can.

Kai Shiden would be ashamed of you if you didn't.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Guncannon MPT is pretty well a necessity on a first-time play. Those shoulder cannons have a little bit of a fire delay and can't be reloaded, but they hit as hard as the Beam Rifle.

It's also much more durable than the base GM, and doesn't have to worry about switching from long range to close quarters combat, which can be dangerous when engaging multiple opponents.

When you don't have the enhanced armor from latter runs, it's a pretty big step up.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that Gato didn't make Zeon's top ace list, and if he hadn't been dumb enough to chase after a Ball thinking it was the Gundam, Amuro would have given him the bug on a windshield treatment.

Gato sucks, is what I'm getting at.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Gato is one of the worst characters to ever exist in Gundam ever, which is okay cause he's meant to be a gigantic moronic delusional hypocrite who only lives as long as he does because he once dated the least rational woman on the loving planet. He's also what I imagine a person looks like when they try to tell me Zeon aren't too bad for whatever reason, usually telling me this while piloting a mobile armour and committing some self-righteous atrocity in the process.

Sadly, according to a recent poll, he's also the eighth or eleventh most popular Gundam character.

(The most popular character is either Char or, in the portion of the poll that places Gato closer to his rightful place as the worst, Orga Itsuka.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

Honestly I think it's more because even with all of his negative traits...you can't deny that when it comes to just being a Mobile Suit pilot, Gato is kind of a badass.

Yeah, yeah, call me a Zeke sympathizer, but the fact remains that when you have a one-liner like "SOLOMON! I HAVE RETURNED!" followed by wiping out an entire Feddie fleet in one shot...that kind of awesomeness forgiveth many sins.

He looks like a badass because none of the actual badasses are in play.

You see him next to Kou, sure. He looks like a total murder machine. But if you saw him up against even a weak newtype pilot, or if the Federation had let Yazan Gable off the leash, different story.

Guys like Ral and Char didn't top the killboards since they ran into Amuro Ray. Gato just wasn't good enough.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

Fair, but that's also probably another contributing factor to Gato's popularity. Yes, I agree with you when you say that he'd probably be pasted by any of the bigger names in the series, but in Stardust Memory he's the biggest fish in the pond and he definitely proves it. And when it comes to popularity perception is everything.

True enough, and especially relevant in an LP for a game where the phrase "Oh, poo poo. There were three Zakus." can be used without a trace of sarcasm.

I mainly wanted to dump on Kou more.

(Amusing fact: Cima made the top fifty for popularity. Kou didn't.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I think in terms of sheer units destroyed, Heero Yui is top of the list, but in fairness, half those machines destroyed were his own.

Looking up stats, apparently Trowa has the highest killcount of any Gundam pilot on screen. (I know. I was surprised too.) He even beat Amuro. Stock footage of Leos exploding is apparently good for something after all.

Of course, the only data I could find was pretty old, so I can't get the numbers for Setsuna, Flit, or Mikazuki (Who had a couple of years of offscreen mercenary work adding to whatever his on-screen total was), but it's interesting to see things like that.

And, of course, nobody matched Breniss Ox.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

To be fair to Trowa, his fighting style is pretty much "spray and pray", except he adds missiles into the mix (and maybe once in a while remembers that the original Heavyarms has a knife as well). With that attitude, coupled with Gundam Wing's entire "we are totally a serious show, stop laughing at all the absurdity, no really stop it please take us seriously" atmosphere, it's no surprise that Trowa's got the most on-screen kills to date barring the more recent shows like you mentioned.

It's pretty hard to tell with 00, especially with the movie, but I think it's unlikely IBO set any new records. It's mostly smaller scale engagements, especially in the first season, with fights every couple of episodes instead of guaranteed before the credits.

That said, since it's all up on youtube, might as well try and check some of the numbers for myself. Should be manageable.

Edit: Aaand, done. Just checked. Allowing for some assumptions to smooth the process, (e.g. that every mobile suit that, say, has another mobile suit tossed at so hard they both go flying counts as a kill), Mikazuki downed 101 suits, 1 ship, and 1 mobile armor shown onscreen. Checking against the list I was referencing, that actually makes the top ten for animated.

Higher than I thought going in.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 9, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kai Shiden is the greatest hero of the One Year War, and I won't hear a word otherwise.

And the Guncannon MP is my favorite suit to use in this game. Heavy armor, big guns, no switching between melee and ranged to make juggling enemies tricky. You need to plan a little for fighting mobile enemies, but the sheer hurt you can inflict more than makes up for it.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 16, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's weird with the existence of the Guntank that the Guncannon feels like the Boss Borot of Mobile Suit Gundam. Don't ask me why I feel this way.

It's probably because the Guncannon is the comic relief.

Ryu and Hayato are much worse pilots than Kai, but they don't have memorable scenes of failure. The Guntank sucks in a mundane, forgettable way.

Kai, no matter if he's just starting out and flailing like a maniac or one of the best pilots in the Federation, is constantly causing visual gags.

Top that off with Kai, like Boss, being the boss of a gang of JDs, and the association makes sense, even if the Guncannon is, you know, good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

It helps that, even though Kai is a total coward, he is fully committed to his battlefield role: preventing the Zekes from swarming Amuro under with numbers by piloting a distractingly red and extremely vulnerable Mobile Suit.

I would honestly say he's uniquely suited to the role as he's not prone to kill hunting the way a gung-ho fighter would be. He rarely gets himself in over his head, which also means there are consequences every time he does.

"The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

Kai might whine, scream, and occasionally wet his pants, but when the rubber hits the road, he doesn't falter. For a coward, he does a terrible job of being a coward.

(He does have excellent survival instincts, though. Kind of have to if you survive the UC for as long as he has.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Counterargument: The post disaster timeline had 72 project super-devils, and they were the primary reason humanity didn't go extinct. Including Astaroth.

(Also, the Ishtar association is totally a thing. It's even up on wikipedia.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Goddamn spacenoids get off my lawn. Get off the crater where my lawn used to be. Get off my crushed existence.

I believe, given Neo-Holland's victory in the latest Gundam fight, legally speaking it's their lawn.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

I love that he's defying orders and telling them all classified information because they gave him cookies :allears:

It's Master Pierce Rayer's steely gaze. Nobody can argue with it.

Fun fact? In just a few short years, due to the endless space wars, EFF records have been so hosed up that if you and some buddies call in and go "Uh, we're with the EFF on long range patrol. Give us more guns, ammunition, and repairs. We might not be in the books", it will actually work.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rorahusky posted:

Subtlety is not Zeon's strong point, is it?

Then again, this is the faction who, in response to their Special Ops team failing to destroy a new Gundam, decided that the most appropriate course of action would be to grab a nuke and try to blow up an entire colony Just To Be Sure.

And they couldn't even do that right, since they blundered into the Federation forces on the way to said colony and got caught.

The thing about Zeon after the one year war is that it kind of drifted to three factions.

Most of them, being normal more-or-less sane people, went to the Republic of Zeon. It was still their country, the remaining government declared surrender, so go home and be a family man. It pretty much worked out for them, at least as much as it can in the Universal Century.

Some of them were big into SPACENOIDS and FREEDOM and such, so they wound up in the AEUG and Karaba when the Titans arrived. Most died, some joined up with Char because he's charismatic as hell and lead the AEUG for a bit and some joined up with Londo Bell, because Bright was in charge and Bright was the other main AEUG leader. Less charisma, but also less crazy.

And then you have the crazies. If a movement is called (X) Zeon, that's them. Basically, their goal in life is to get a bunch of Mobile Suits and commit some war crimes. They haven't really thought things through beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'd like to say again that Prime Minister Darcia Bakharov and Vice Prime Minister Oleg are actually pretty sane. There's a scene in The Plot to Assassinate Gihren where they talk about how loving crazy good Gihren is at manipulating people, and that, gently caress it, this batshit insanity isn't what they signed on for. Darcia basically says "Degwin's in secret surrender talks, and THANK gently caress FOR THAT. And yeah, I know that could get me killed for treason, but be a bro about it, huh?"

Post One Year War, Zeon had a pretty drastic split between Bakharov's Republic of Zeon (the more-or-less sane majority, who were willing to go as far as to reintegrate with the Federation on "Seriously, the Zabis were the worst" grounds) and the various Neo Zeons, who went more and more batshit as time went on.

• Locked thread