Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
But RoboKy, if we don't enslave and weaponize the Psykers against our enemies, our enemies will surely enslave and weaponize them against us instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Gundam protagonists, especially in the UC Timeline, tend to be incredibly hosed up individuals starting out. Or become hosed up. Or stay hosed up all throughout the series.

Case in point: Kamille Bidan, who started off his illustrious career as a Gundam protagonist by leaping a barrier to punch a military officer in the face because he overheard the guy saying his name sounded girly, being arrested and interrogated for said public assult of a military officer, then proceeded to escape from custody and steal a prototype mobile suit for /no other reason/ than to enact petty vengence on his interrogator, before joining up with the AEUG after realizing that his repeated shitfits over his name and subsequent fallout to his actions kiiiiind of landed him in deep poo poo with what was essentially the Earth Federation's version of the KGB.

Our hero everybody, a man who escapes custody, steals military hardware, goes on a violent rampage against military personnel, and then joins what is essentially a rebellion against his own government... all because someone said Kamille sounds like a girl's name.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

...No.

That would be Garrod Ran, obviously. :colbert:

Wait, seriously? I honestly thought it'd be...well Amuro would have been my first guess given that he had 2 series and a movie to rack up a kill count, but I'm surprised that Garrod wasn't mentioned. Cause, y'know, Satellite Cannon and all that...

While Garrod is an awesome protagonist and one of my favs, his kill count is pretty low despite his Gundam having a WMD because, unlike Heero Yuy, who used HIS WMD as though it were an All-Purpose Problem Solver, Garrod only deploys the Satellite Cannon outside of the first few instance when he really needs it, and even then only once or twice turns that WMD on actual people.

Heck, the number of times he actually does bust it out are pretty sparce, almost like the writers remembered that something that is capable of glassing an entire forest and everything within it in one shot (No seriously, this is what happened the very first time he fired it. One second he's in a heavily forested area, the next he's standing in a blank, featureless landscape marked only by the scorch marks of his gun) is a Big Deal, and treats it like the Big Deal that it is.

He fired the Sat Cannon once in the initial episodes at Tiffa's prompting to save them both from the hordes of Vultures who wanted to kill them and steal the Gundam for fat wads of cash, a second time against the Mobile Armor that was bombarding them from afar that the Alternative Company had. A third time was to deal with the whole Exploding Nuclear Reactor thing. He sort of used it a fourth time against the Submarine, where he called down the Microwave Beam, then moved out of the way so it would flash evaporate the entire lake the sub was hiding in, and then after that he loses it when Carris wrecks his poo poo.

Once he gets the Double Sat Cannon, he uses that to blow up an entire god drat island as a /warning shot/, then doesn't use it again until he decides to grab the Space Revolutionary Army by the balls and squeeze in order to get them to cough up Tiffa. After that he doesn't use it again until the finale against the Frost Brothers.

Six times throughout the entire series he used it. Seven if you count the Lake instance where he didn't actually charge the Sat Cannon, and just used the Microwave Beam from the moon to make the biggest steam explosion anyone has ever seen.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Huh, it's been a while since I used it, but I remember it almost being a 'once an episode/two-parter' thing. I only got through the first half, admittedly, but I remember it being used way more than a handful of times.

It only seems that way because early on, Garrod was kind of a doof who viewed the Sat Cannon as just a really big gun/trump card to bust out if he got in deep poo poo. Then around Episode 13 he loses it altogether after Carris pushes his poo poo back in, and by the time he gets the Double X and its even more OP Twin Satellite Cannon, Garrod has grown enough as a person to realize that pulling the trigger on a gun capable of leveling entire islands or space colonies is a gigantic responsibility, and basically stops using it unless the situation /actually/ calls for it.

That said, he does use it as a deterrent a few times, such as the time he got two opposing armies to stop fighting and run the gently caress away just by pointing it in their direction and going 'Y'all might wanna move'.

And then there's this awesome moment (Warning, Spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vhDEHllaz4

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 9, 2018

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ok, confession time. I've been dragging my feet a little releasing this LP.

I had originally planned to build a model kit as I played, and release work-in-progress pictures. It was probably going to be a Hi-Mock, or a GM Sniper II (I love the GM Sniper II), or maybe something out of left field like the Turn X or the Heavyarms or the Efreet. Then, when I was finished, at the last minute I was going to show the "finished model kit"--and reveal none other than Bandai's Darth Vader.

But I was browsing Amazon while making my final decision, and I stumbled upon the perfect model kit to build for the LP. Unfortunately, I'd have to have it shipped which can take 2-6 weeks depending on customs. That model kit has just arrived, and it is none other than...

Dah-dah-dah-daaaah!

Other Peoples' Houses!

Oh you cheeky bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's not the crazy bit. The crazy bit is that the Earth Federal Forces would be 100% correct in sending supplies to that unit, because by that point 99% of all Zeon remnants are incapable of making it through two entire sentences without squeezing in a "Feddie scum" or a "Zeig Zeon."

Subtlety is not Zeon's strong point, is it?

Then again, this is the faction who, in response to their Special Ops team failing to destroy a new Gundam, decided that the most appropriate course of action would be to grab a nuke and try to blow up an entire colony Just To Be Sure.

And they couldn't even do that right, since they blundered into the Federation forces on the way to said colony and got caught.

• Locked thread