Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

glocknar posted:

God I miss how black and white, mustache-twirlingly evil and monstrous old cartoon villains were. Seriously Zeon is pretty much anime space nazis in regards to how guilty you feel about killing them, and it is fantastic.

Like the basis of Zeon is "There may be good people working for Zeon, like Ramba Ral, but they are still working for loving Space Hitler." It's not that your average zeon goon isn't portrayed as just being "A Person" it's that them being "A Person" is not an excuse to not fight. Gundam works that try to take the stance of Zeon as "Noble Space Samurai" disgust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dr. Snark posted:

As far as I know it's either Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Gundam vs., or Gundam Breaker from here in.

Not like any of those are bad mind you, but obviously none of em are as gritty as this one.

We didn't get any more simulators in the cockpit sense, we got Gundam Crossfire, which was a terrible game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

The awkward thing about the Feddie war crimes for Zimmerman is that, going by everything but Unicorn...

they didn't happen.

Also, they couldn't happen. Like, at all.

Federation troops never set foot on Side 3. Zeon surrendered in time to keep some autonomy, in part due to the fact Prime Minister Bakharov really didn't like Gihren.

In fact, Side 3's policy during the Gryps conflict was pro-Titans, because the Republic hated the Zabis that much.

Unicorn doesn't fit very well with the previous history of the U.C., is what I'm saying.

Unicorn is really that moment where the author is blatantly saying "Zeon are glorious space samurai post-world war 2." See, before this point, the Federation's evil had always been portrayed as this lazy evil that just sort of... exists and basically has no will to fight. Like, we get to Victory Gundam over 100 years in the future, and the Federation is using 50-year-old Mobile Suits, even as the Zanscare Empire (Because as it turns out, no it doesn't matter if they have full autonomy, people in space are cockbites and going to invade earth) is skull loving earth, and the EFF themselves are just like "Eh... war... sure..." It doesn't even care about propagating itself all that much, just like... existing. I'm saying the Federation is a NEET. Like it's notable that in ZZ Gundam, when Haman is all about going to War with the Federation, they themselves just... kinda want the fight to be over, and don't even see a problem with a colony drop on Dublin, to them "Well it'll clear out the overpopulation issue." Lazy fatcats who simply don't give a gently caress is the evil of the federation.

And then Unicorn decided that actually they're the Illuminati and the Republic of Zeon isn't valid because the President decided to let the EFF soldiers on Side 3 (Non-existent) go all Rape of Nanking on a Colony. Which isn't appropriate on many levels.

Unicorn sucks.

EDIT: To explain why the "Glorious Space Samurai" mindset is in so many things, it's because a lot of Japanese military nerds tend to connect themselves to Gundam, and as it turns out it's a pretty common mindset that Japan was weak for surrendering during World War 2 after the Nukes and they should have fought to the last and SAMURAI SPIRIT and all that poo poo. The Unicorn writer is one of those writers who writes a tonne of "Japan gets back at those dirty Americans" Historical Fiction books.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 21, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

...Uh...I think you're taking about the novel or something because in the TV series Zinnerman's family died in a counterterrorist operation gone wrong on Earth. Unless I am seriously mis-remembering things...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the novel or whatever (which from my understanding was in fact pretty bad). The series was not like that - there was a moment early on where that kind of rhetoric was brought up and Banagher's response was "Didn't Zeon drop colonies on people? I don't think that makes them the good guys." It was all about ending the cycle of hatred and things like that.

quote:

During that time, his family lived in Globe city in Side 3, whose inhabitants were being ruthlessly slaughtered by Federation occupation forces. His wife and child were among those killed. Zinnerman was devastated upon learning the existence of circulated video footage related to their deaths.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Loni Garvey? Who's backstory is utterly different between book and novel?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DKD posted:

There's also the scene where Loni slaughters civilians because she is literally possessed by the evil spirit of Zeon, but I guess that was only in the show?

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mahdi_Garvey

And why would Zinnerman, a Spacenoid, have a family in a village on Earth?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Gato is one of the worst characters to ever exist in Gundam ever, which is okay cause he's meant to be a gigantic moronic delusional hypocrite who only lives as long as he does because he once dated the least rational woman on the loving planet. He's also what I imagine a person looks like when they try to tell me Zeon aren't too bad for whatever reason, usually telling me this while piloting a mobile armour and committing some self-righteous atrocity in the process.

Gato is the dumbest motherfucker in the world, and I can only imagine what the show would look like without a change of directors. I still can't believe this dumb fucker is recruitable in SRWs....

Also it's worth pointing out that the Newtype girl you guys are talking about in Blue Destiny isn't actually dead or like... physically chopped up into bits. Marion was simply left Comatose during the first testing of the system which trapped her soul, hence why when the machines are all destroyed she wakes up (Or dies, it's never said)

She's recruitable in a few G Generation games.

EDIT: It's worth pointing out the Antarctic Treaty was annulled at the end of the OYW, replaced with the Granada Accord, which didn't forbid nuclear weaponry, so The Delaz Fleet DOUBLE had no point in claiming it was a violation. It's literally "You're violating our Treaty!" "That treaty was annuled at the end of the war." "THE WAR NEVER ENDED"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 4, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'm not really surprised I got the Blue Destiny thing wrong, though that means I've confused it with something else involving someone getting sort of ripped into pieces for computer parts. Maybe I was thinking about what happened to the friendly fella on the moon in Gundam X.

Also Gato is recruitable in SRW games specifically so you can send him flying ahead of everyone to die. Just put him in something cheap and flammable.

Yeah D.O.M.E. and Lorelai from Gundam X are both "Newtypes chunked up into machines."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GawainStark posted:

You're thinking of Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space I believe. In the White Base mode of that game you can encounter Johnny Ridden, Shin Matsunada, and Gato as surprise boss fights in three of the stages.I don't remember exactly how to trigger the fights though. RIP someone beat me to it.

They're also bosses in the first Dynasty Warriors Gundam during the OYW proceedings.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I've explained it before, but due to the overwhelming love of "Loyalty" even to complete loving tyrants, characters like Gato become popular in Japan. He's considered the noble space samurai loyal to his master to the very end who died gloriously in battle. Ya know, ignore the mass murder. Igniting a war that was already concluded, all the suffering stemming from his actions. He's LOYAL and that's all that matters.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

True enough, and especially relevant in an LP for a game where the phrase "Oh, poo poo. There were three Zakus." can be used without a trace of sarcasm.

I mainly wanted to dump on Kou more.

(Amusing fact: Cima made the top fifty for popularity. Kou didn't.)

I like Kou. Yeah dude killed Cima, but he'd been going for almost 24 hours without sleep, was on adrenaline and was desperately trying to stop a colony drop after witnessing someone be murdered in front of him. Also Cima was shooting him while screaming "I'm not your enemy" which is a confusing as gently caress moment for anyone I'd feel. I'm sure if someone was firing a machine gun at you while screaming "I'm on your side" while you were fighting, you would not necessarily consider their words to be truth (Who are we kidding the back half of this series is loving stupid and makes no sense what so ever)

But for an old type with very little combat experience, he handled himself immensely well and was in fact able to go toe-to-toe with Gato. Who only won because Kou had used most of his ammo fighting multiple enemies already while Gato was fresh, well rested and had an undamaged weapon.

I dunno, I have a soft spot for the guy, he gets hosed around pretty badly, That's why whenever I recruit Cima in Gihren's Greed I stick em on a ship together, they'd be friends if they weren't enemies.

"So yeah after the government lied to me, blamed me for everything, my girlfriend shot me and my mentor died, I got locked in prison for a crime I never comitted"
"Tell me about it."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rorahusky posted:

Gundam protagonists, especially in the UC Timeline, tend to be incredibly hosed up individuals starting out. Or become hosed up. Or stay hosed up all throughout the series.

Case in point: Kamille Bidan, who started off his illustrious career as a Gundam protagonist by leaping a barrier to punch a military officer in the face because he overheard the guy saying his name sounded girly, being arrested and interrogated for said public assult of a military officer, then proceeded to escape from custody and steal a prototype mobile suit for /no other reason/ than to enact petty vengence on his interrogator, before joining up with the AEUG after realizing that his repeated shitfits over his name and subsequent fallout to his actions kiiiiind of landed him in deep poo poo with what was essentially the Earth Federation's version of the KGB.

Our hero everybody, a man who escapes custody, steals military hardware, goes on a violent rampage against military personnel, and then joins what is essentially a rebellion against his own government... all because someone said Kamille sounds like a girl's name.

To clarify, not even to his face! Jerid just heard someone call for "Kamille" turn and see Fa running to Kamille and go "Huh, I thought Kamille was a girls name, that's clearly a guy." Not even saying it like TOO Kamille and going "Kamille? Ha! You have a girls name!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It's worth noting these kill counts aren't the most accurately counted things. things get hazy with group kills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yes but it has a high profile, low mobility and is very very silly. If anything threatens the White Base's underside just have Kai throw a rock at it.

I will say, in defense on the Guntank, that when you're playing Gihren's greed, the sheer pleasure you will experience from finally teching up to Mobile Suits and deploying a even a single Guntank, watching its powerful cannons shred through the Zeek Scum sending them scurrying... it's truly unprecedented... Until you get the Guncannon.

• Locked thread