Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I need to dig up my sweet ARX-8 Laevateinn Revoltech I got like ten years ago when I was still a huge anime dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Good. my Frog came with those big rear end hammers and I was like 'when do I get to see that?'

fingers crossed. grunt suits best suits.

I read the books more recently than I watched the first season, and the hammer is in the books that season would cover. Are they not in the anime?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah I shelled out for both the Arbalest and the Savage Al-Mecha 1/60 scale figures, and I have a couple of the damashii Arbalests. I also have the technical manual "Full Metal Panic! The Anime mission" in english, which I can only find in japanese on amazon, which has a ton of info on the mechs. There was a ton of thought put into each of the armslaves that I really dig when it comes to my giant robbit shows. Thats probably my only complaint about the armslaves/arbalest, everything started grounded in 'how would a giant robot really carry a huge heavy gun like that? type technical grounding and then the lambda driver comes into play and its all magic/a wizard did it dressed up as super science.

So when it comes to the comedy vs the robots vs the romance stuff I personally prefer it robot heavy.

Droyer posted:

I read the books more recently than I watched the first season, and the hammer is in the books that season would cover. Are they not in the anime?
I'd have to look but if they are in the first season they aren't being used as far as I remember. I remember them carrying the AKs and the rockets for sure.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 16, 2018

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Coxswain Balls posted:

Second Raid had the plot arc of Ending Day by Day stretched into a full season, while it seems like this is gonna be more like the first season where they go through each book in a couple episodes. It already looks like they're gonna wrap up Continuing On My Own in the next episode, so they might be able to rush through the rest of the plot at this pace, although I think that would be to the series' detriment.

I could just be talking out of my rear end though, since I only got to right before the end of Burning One Man Force. Someone else who's read the manga or the novels can probably make a better guess at how far they can go with 13 episodes.

From what I read online and people guessing, it seems like it could be 4 episodes per novel and if they were going to cover the rest of the story, then it has to be a split cour. They did delay the release of this for about 6 months. But who knows. We will find out soon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, I’m looking forward to seeing the Alastors in action. They certainly did an impressive job of hyping them this episode.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

MJP posted:

FMP is good and a return to modern Cold War But With Mecha is SO GOOD

I should really go back and re-watch the original series again, that was one of the first anime I actually really gave a drat about. I had the DVDs and was slowly getting the English VAs' autographs on the inner linings of their respective character's discs.

Those VA-chasin' flashbacks... man, 2004-2007 was lit.

Having just rewatched the first series, it holds up really well. The only things that really date it and in a very bad way is the incessant panty shots of Kaname at the beginning of the series. She’ll just be standing there and “oh no! A breeze! Whoops”

The series gets better about it later on, and the KyoAni series pretty much stops it unless the scene really calls for it (Kaname’s rooftop fight in TSR). Other than that, I thought the first series did a good job trying to balance the humour and action. It’s still one of my favourite series to this day.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

psyer posted:

From what I read online and people guessing, it seems like it could be 4 episodes per novel and if they were going to cover the rest of the story, then it has to be a split cour. They did delay the release of this for about 6 months. But who knows. We will find out soon.

There's a video game coming out soon (Japan only, naturally) that seems to cover books 7, 8, and 9. So, it would line up with IV if this is right.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
here's a spoiler for the next arc: MAXIMUM FROG

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HitTheTargets posted:

There's a video game coming out soon (Japan only, naturally) that seems to cover books 7, 8, and 9. So, it would line up with IV if this is right.
Actually its getting an English release in Southeast Asia. You can play it on a western PS4, though this does mean you have to import the game.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

here's a spoiler for the next arc: MAXIMUM FROG

awww yeah can't wait

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raxivace posted:

Actually its getting an English release in Southeast Asia. You can play it on a western PS4, though this does mean you have to import the game.

You can also make a Singapore account and get it through PSN. I've done that with Super Robot Wars and some Gundam games.

You just need to buy some Singapore PSN cards from Play-Asia

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I can't believe we finally have more Full Metal Panic! Like someone said earlier, years ago I tried to read the translated novels but eventually gave up because of how terrible the translation was. I will have to try out the manga.

I remember first watching Full Metal Panic from a DVD I got with a Newtype USA magazine and have been a fan since then.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I’m working my way through the original series which I haven’t seen in like a decade. Does IV still use the A Team theme?

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Watching the episode now, and I am thinking to myself, Christ it's been so long since I've watched a FMP episode...why is Chidori special again...what is the Arbalest's special ability? Shouldn't they have done a rebroadcast of TSR, or a recap episode at least?

Looked it up, 13 years since TSR aired lol

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

Looked it up, 13 years since TSR aired lol

In series time: 9 months lol

Also I somehow remember they fit in two distinct Christmas events somehow? The first in chapter 35 of the manga, which definitely happens before TSR. And Book 6, which definitely happens right before IV.

AtheistMantis fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 18, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AtheistMantis posted:

In series time: 9 months lol

Also I somehow remember they fit in two distinct Christmas events somehow? The first in chapter 35 of the manga, which definitely happens before TSR. And Book 6, which definitely happens right before IV.

whenever there is a time gap, that's when fumoffu events happened. no matter how silly things got in fumoffu, it's still not as silly as lambda drivers.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

whenever there is a time gap, that's when fumoffu events happened. no matter how silly things got in fumoffu, it's still not as silly as lambda drivers.

Idea: fit the combat Bonta-kun with a Lambda Driver.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Coxswain Balls posted:

Which is literally a lamb backpack.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Coxswain Balls posted:

Coxswain Balls: genius

Daedalus1134 posted:

Which is literally a lamb backpack.

Daedalus1134: confirmed Whispered.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It still won't fix the voice changer bug though.

That's kernal level muckery.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm definitely thinking it's a 2 cour buildup to the finish, just from where everyone was at in the first episode there was still so, so much that hadn't happened with multiple characters based on where I remember Sigma being while there was still a lot of story still to be told, but also I don't think there's enough left to where you'd need 30+ episodes to cover it or anything.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Coxswain Balls posted:

I need to dig up my sweet ARX-8 Laevateinn Revoltech I got like ten years ago when I was still a huge anime dork.
So here's something that confused me greatly when I read Sigma: The first appearance we have of the ARX-8 is when the bad guys seemingly capture it enroute, but then it shows up later when it gets airdropped and given to Sousuke.

Anyway while I do prefer comedic FMP, the serious story is entertaining in its own way IMO because it basically turns into Metal Gear Solid with how ridiculous it gets.

Calm Waters
Aug 24, 2011
Forgot how good the tiny relationship moments in this series were; the reaction of Kaname to his story about resuscitations gone wrong, or when she instinctively tells him to put his gun away in the rugby teams cafe brawl. The entire haircut scene.

Fuuuuck I'd forgotten too how much I loved the editing and animation in these Fumoffu action sequences. That episode when he forgets to bring her notebook to school and they execute insane parkour to get it back is so drat good.

Really hope they leave all the fan-service behind. The back end of Second Raid with Kaname's awesome arc proved how cool and interesting she is without it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Calm Waters posted:

Forgot how good the tiny relationship moments in this series were; the reaction of Kaname to his story about resuscitations gone wrong, or when she instinctively tells him to put his gun away in the rugby teams cafe brawl. The entire haircut scene.

Fuuuuck I'd forgotten too how much I loved the editing and animation in these Fumoffu action sequences. That episode when he forgets to bring her notebook to school and they execute insane parkour to get it back is so drat good.

Really hope they leave all the fan-service behind. The back end of Second Raid with Kaname's awesome arc proved how cool and interesting she is without it.

That's the kind of stuff I hope they don't miss with the faster pacing.

As for the fanservice, the really blatant stuff seemed to be a Gonzo thing. In the Kyoto Animation seasons it seemed to be more played for laughs, so we're probably not going to see much of that any more unless they start doing some comedy OVAs in the interim.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is there a legal stream to rewatch FMP somewhere, preferably Netflix-style offline streamy? I have the DVDs but a train commute with unlikely sitting room, I'd kill to be able to watch the originals on my phone somehow.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MJP posted:

Is there a legal stream to rewatch FMP somewhere, preferably Netflix-style offline streamy? I have the DVDs but a train commute with unlikely sitting room, I'd kill to be able to watch the originals on my phone somehow.

It's all up on Crunchyroll. Not sure about the logistics of watching on one's phone, though.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

It's all up on Crunchyroll. Not sure about the logistics of watching on one's phone, though.

Great if you have signal, lousy if you don't ;_;

BRB, time to learn how to rip DVDs

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

MJP posted:

It’s all up on Hulu.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If you get VRV premium, you can download the show to your phone and watch it offline, so you could scoop it up somewhere you had wi-fi and then watch it on the train.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

If you get VRV premium, you can download the show to your phone and watch it offline, so you could scoop it up somewhere you had wi-fi and then watch it on the train.

Holy balls

I mean okay I've been doing :filez: but is this legit? I mean is VRV actually approved to do this and I'm not gonna suddenly lose legit offline official streaming?

I've already got Prime so yay Anime Strike too if there's anything on that but dang yo.

Thank you very much for this. I've been holding off on a Crunchyroll or Funimation sub because of lack of offline streaming. I'm giving this a trial right the heck now.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I'm also surprised how much of this series I remember without having rewatched TSR in like, ten years. I've seen the original FMP and Fumoffu like, three times each though.

Episode 2 was great, though the extended CG sequence was pretty iffy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MJP posted:

Holy balls

I mean okay I've been doing :filez: but is this legit? I mean is VRV actually approved to do this and I'm not gonna suddenly lose legit offline official streaming?

I've already got Prime so yay Anime Strike too if there's anything on that but dang yo.

Thank you very much for this. I've been holding off on a Crunchyroll or Funimation sub because of lack of offline streaming. I'm giving this a trial right the heck now.

It's legit, yeah; VRV is run by the Crunchyroll people and includes a bunch of other services.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
50 people are bad enough at their jobs to die

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Daaaamn Tessa. Went all Heisenberg there for a minute.

edit: inspiration struck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZZwKt6U4Uo

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 20, 2018

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Daedalus1134 posted:

Daaaamn Tessa. Went all Heisenberg there for a minute.

End of the first series shows that Tessa doesn't take poo poo from much of anyone when the Tuatha de Danaan or its crew are on the line.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gonna agree that some of this CG is pretty iffy, though its not a deal breaker.

And drat I forgot Tessa could be like that.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I had a hardcore nostalgia trip when they started playing BGM from season 1.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
I feel like the OP might have been a bit too revealing.

Also, what the hell happened to Wraith? He better be off doing something super important during all of this crazyness.

Calm Waters
Aug 24, 2011

AtheistMantis posted:

I feel like the OP might have been a bit too revealing.

Also, what the hell happened to Wraith? He better be off doing something super important during all of this crazyness.

*She, pretty sure.

And ep 2 was alright. Not really an anime complaint but I dunno why Kaname is back to helpless again. Tessa was awesome though.

Animation was good, but just can't help wondering what that car chase would have looked like done by KyoAni. Ah well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Yo Arbalest and Venom having a giant robot knife fight in the TDDa hanger bay is such a cool loving finale. I was always glad they didn’t end the fight with another lambda driver glow-off like they did previously (or in TSR).

Edit: also having served on a submarine for a number of years i appreciate the writers trying. It’s like they read a Tom Clancy book, did a little bit of actual research from there, and then everything got run through a translator who didn’t care one bit.
“Port to helm” and “Remember Pearl Harbor!” are my favorites.

ManSedan fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 22, 2018

• Locked thread