Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

ManSedan posted:

It’s like they read a Tom Clancy book, did a little bit of actual research from there, and then everything got run through a translator who didn’t care one bit.
“Port to helm” and “Remember Pearl Harbor!” are my favorites.

There was a panel at MAGfest called The Hunt for the Tuatha de Danaan, which literally was that more or less. "Here's the similarities between Full Metal Panic and the Ryanverse, any questions?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I watched the previous anime series couple of years back since I was on the lookout for somewhat realistic mecha at the time but I can't remember anything from this series anymore.

I literally only remember: Gruff military guy, Japanese girl, wait she was special somehow? Super powers? There were global small conflicts, a submarine, and a girl commanding it. Comedy hijinks because gruff military guy can't adjust to normal life :psyduck:

Is there a good summary anywhere? Wikipedia is kinda bad.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dessel posted:

Japanese girl, wait she was special somehow? Super powers?

She's a Whispered, which means she has blueprints of advanced technology in her head, can telepathically communicate with other Whispered, and can somehow interface with the submarine and act as a replacement for its AI.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dessel posted:

I watched the previous anime series couple of years back since I was on the lookout for somewhat realistic mecha at the time but I can't remember anything from this series anymore.

I literally only remember: Gruff military guy, Japanese girl, wait she was special somehow? Super powers? There were global small conflicts, a submarine, and a girl commanding it. Comedy hijinks because gruff military guy can't adjust to normal life :psyduck:

Is there a good summary anywhere? Wikipedia is kinda bad.

Not really, but have mine:

The world of Full Metal Panic! is broadly similar to our world at the turn of the century with a few key differences. The Soviet Union never fell, so the Cold War is still happening. Technology for most of the world is where it was for us, but it is highly advanced in a few areas such as mecha (Arm Slaves), weapons, and power generation. These advances aren't readily available to the general public, and in fact are thanks to the Whispered: people who receive information directly into their minds (hence the name). Whispered all have a single area of expertise: Tessa is good at submarine design (the TDD was by her) and she commands Mithril's sub because she knows it better than anyone else. Kaname is good at the Lambda Driver and apparently has some other talents such as when she took over for the TDD's computer at the end of season 1. Leonard is good at Arm Slave design, etc. Many of the Whispered are under the control of governments and secret organizations, which is part of why their gifts are bent towards military hardware. Mithril, who employs Tessa, Souske, and the rest of the heroes, is one example. Amalgam, who employs Leonard, Gates, and Gauron, is another. The main conflict of FMP! is the struggle for control of Kaname and her knowledge. Souske was sent by Mithril to monitor and protect Kaname from attempts to abduct her. First by Gauron, but in TSR we found out that he was working for Amalgam. Leonard is Tessa's brother - another key plot point. Tessa, Kaname, and Souske have a love triangle going, though it is likely to get short shrift in Invisible Victory.

I've read the whole light novel series so I can tell you where it's headed if you just have to be spoiled. Read Sigma if you want to know; it's a very faithful adaptation. The fanlated light novels are very uneven. The last half of Burning One Man Force and all of Come Make My Day and Approaching Nick of Time were super roughly translated and never edited as far as I know; the translator had all her notes stolen and never picked it back up. Anything you find in a PDF is much better.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 25, 2018

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Midjack posted:

I've read the whole light novel series so I can tell you where it's headed if you just have to be spoiled. Read Sigma if you want to know; it's a very faithful adaptation. The fanlated light novels are very uneven. The last half of Burning One Man Force and all of Come Make My Day and Approaching Nick of Time were super roughly translated and never edited as far as I know; the translator had all her notes stolen and never picked it back up. Anything you find in a PDF is much better.

I just finished Sigma, and man it went by too fast. Kinda felt like there was a problem with pacing. If it's a faithful adaptation, and the novels are a no go for translations, guess I'll just wait for the anime to flesh things out.

That part where Speck diffuses the tension by saying he wants to marry Tessa was original and a nice addition. And earlier Tessa shot straight down while in the manga it was closer to Specks foot. It makes more sense for her character (she's a really bad shot).

AtheistMantis fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 25, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AtheistMantis posted:

I just finished Sigma, and man it felt like it went by too fast.

It clipped along pretty quickly, yes, but it didn't leave much out.

EDIT: Funimation has licensed Invisible Victory so we will probably get it released here sometime shortly.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 25, 2018

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I believe Funimation is aiming for a quick dub as well, starting to be posted on their site for streaming sometime early May.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm vaguely hoping it airs on adult swim, but given that it's starting halfway through the books maybe not.

Comedy option is Cutey Honey.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Funimation announced main dub cast and they got everyone back on board. Minor changes definitely gonna happen (Kalinin’s english VA died).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Funimation announced main dub cast and they got everyone back on board. Minor changes definitely gonna happen (Kalinin’s english VA died).

Awesome. I couldn't remember if it was Kalinin's English or Japanese VA who wasn't available anymore. :(

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And yes, that includes Chris Patton, which is a big surprise because I thought he was out of the game for good.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I loved the FMP dub and in fact watched more of it dubbed overall so I might end up watching this twice. :allears:

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Darth Walrus posted:

And yes, that includes Chris Patton, which is a big surprise because I thought he was out of the game for good.

Everyone loves Full Metal Panic.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So this was a good episode. Pretty much just one long, running battle that made me remember how tacticool FMPs Arm Slaves are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And there’s the A-Team theme again, for everyone who was missing it.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I watched during my lunch break at work and it was really hard to not hum along to that song.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Darth Walrus posted:

And there’s the A-Team theme again, for everyone who was missing it.

gently caress yeah.

I’m about halfway through TSR now and boy I had completely forgotten about the Kaname centric episode.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

So far so good. I was worried the CG Arm Slaves would look janky, but they're doing the job alright. However, I'm disappointed that none of the Behemoths did the big evil laugh from the first season, since now their faces look way creepier than I remember.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The 1/60 Belial popped up for preorder on HLJ.

https://hlj.com/product/kbykp-332

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

The 1/60 Belial popped up for preorder on HLJ.

https://hlj.com/product/kbykp-332

I'm in doubt. I've already got the 1/60 Bandai Arbalest and both M9s on preorder somewhere, the Kotobukiya 1/60 Arbalest came up, and I was like "I really don't need two 1/60 ARX-7s, even if one's going to be in some funky color scheme." Now there's the Belial, and I'm not yet 100% in love with its design, but if I buy it maybe they'll do an Rk-92 kit, or maybe even a Venom or whatever Arm Slave had the Gatling gun from the Helmajistan episodes.

A Behemoth kit would be awesome even if it meant it's probably like 1/600 scale.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

I'm in doubt. I've already got the 1/60 Bandai Arbalest and both M9s on preorder somewhere, the Kotobukiya 1/60 Arbalest came up, and I was like "I really don't need two 1/60 ARX-7s, even if one's going to be in some funky color scheme." Now there's the Belial, and I'm not yet 100% in love with its design, but if I buy it maybe they'll do an Rk-92 kit, or maybe even a Venom or whatever Arm Slave had the Gatling gun from the Helmajistan episodes.

A Behemoth kit would be awesome even if it meant it's probably like 1/600 scale.

A behemoth in any scale would be welcome. if they made the 92 a kit I'd definitely pick that up just to give a custom paint job.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Belial is pretty cool, although that giant bowgun probably works better when animated. I like that Anubis-style head. I’m not sold on the Laevatien - it looks like an unfortunate halfway-house between the down-to-earth military grit of the Mithril Arm Slaves and the more fantastical Amalgam designs, and that colour scheme is distractingly gaudy in a show where most mechs have more subdued palettes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Laevatien will be somewhat less nonsensical when you find out where it comes from.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

The Laevatien will be somewhat less nonsensical when you find out where it comes from.

It’s not that it’s nonsensical. It makes sense. It’s just ugly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's supposed to be ugly, which i'd imagine isn't ideal for model kits

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, 1999 has the detail photos and instruction manual scans for the Bandai Arm Slaves, and there are some wonderful in-character blurbs about one specific weapon.

Sousuke, you beautiful goony bastard

Blackchamber posted:

A behemoth in any scale would be welcome. if they made the 92 a kit I'd definitely pick that up just to give a custom paint job.

In silent protest of no Rk-92 kit, I did an Iraqi Army version of the Gusion from IBO a year or so ago. Hey, a Soviet-client-nation export frog boy Arm Slave and a Soviet-client-nation export frog boy Gundam are one in the same, right?

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 2, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not honestly sure which of those blurbs is the best, but they're all great and whoever wrote them got the characters down pat. Were they in a model manual or what?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I'm not honestly sure which of those blurbs is the best, but they're all great and whoever wrote them got the characters down pat. Were they in a model manual or what?

Yes, they're flavor material in the Bandai Arm Slave model kit manuals.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Those images are amazing, are there any more? They're honestly perfect.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

MJP posted:

Meanwhile, 1999 has the detail photos and instruction manual scans for the Bandai Arm Slaves, and there are some wonderful in-character blurbs about one specific weapon.

Sousuke, you beautiful goony bastard

I would be down for a spinoff series where it's nothing but Sousuke nerding out over military technology. It'll be like those cooking series but with guns and mechs. Then you can have these little snippets where the Mithril gang is goofing around between missions. :allears:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s not that it’s nonsensical. It makes sense. It’s just ugly.

Is it opposite day already?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Blight Runner posted:

I would be down for a spinoff series where it's nothing but Sousuke nerding out over military technology. It'll be like those cooking series but with guns and mechs. Then you can have these little snippets where the Mithril gang is goofing around between missions. :allears:

That'd be cute for little blurbs and such after the episode the way some shows do. Just like 30 second or so long snippets with comments from Sousuke about various weapons and Armed Slave units he's used. That or do them as some kind of bluray/dvd extra.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Yeesh. After seeing ep 4... Poor Al. I mean, I know what happens with the Arbalest's remains, but poor Al all the same. Basically spends its final moments begging Sousuke to abandon it to save himself. That was one hell of a swift, brutal fight up until that part too, with Sousuke tearing apart the Codarls.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
That episode was amazing I can't believe it took this long for this to get animated I wonder what changed to bring this property back to TV

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ohhhhhh drat, when Ms. Kagurazaka first showed up I was all "oh weird, her character model is slightly off from what I remember", then Wraith out of nowhere to mess some dudes up. I never thought I'd be so happy about forgetting plot points, as well as holding out so long on spoiling the rest of the series so everything after the next arc will be brand new. I feel like an excited weeb kid again for the fourth time.

I'm still working on shaking the feeling of "man, this would have been sick if it was animated and directed like in TSR" though. In my mind I always imagined this episode having the intensity of TSR's finale, but in the complete opposite direction as Kaname is taken away and all of Sousuke's hope is crushed as his peaceful second life comes crumbling down around him. I loved Leonard's total contempt for him though; made me fuckin' hate the dude and want to see him get his smug face taken down a peg.

Zebulon posted:

Yeesh. After seeing ep 4... Poor Al. I mean, I know what happens with the Arbalest's remains, but poor Al all the same. Basically spends its final moments begging Sousuke to abandon it to save himself. That was one hell of a swift, brutal fight up until that part too, with Sousuke tearing apart the Codarls.

For some reason they switched the grunt machines from being Codarl models to Eligors, which are just Codarls without the Lambda Driver. I was hoping to at least see some more crazy physics breaking now that they've got them sweet CG Arm Slaves.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
Finally caught up with the last two episodes. I gotta say, I was surprisingly pleased with the combat. The CG scenes were much better this go around. And of course, more guns to nerd out over :neckbeard:

I knew Sousuke's cover would be blown eventually, but the build up through the past few episodes really did make a point of how brutal and intense his life really is. It's just sad seeing his two lives come crashing together and the resulting casualties. But I did have a good laugh when everyone evacuated. Sousuke definitely knows how much trouble he caused over the years and used it to his advantage

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Blight Runner posted:

Sousuke definitely knows how much trouble he caused over the years and used it to his advantage

over nine months

Man, this ride is going places, though they just sorta gloss over what they did with Al's carcass in the playground after that fracas. I forget what they did to recover it in sigma

RangerKarl fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 6, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

In silent protest of no Rk-92 kit

Hi yeah greetings from the Gunpla thread

WE'RE GETTING AN RK-92 KIT

Look, I haven't read the novels other than DVMC and even that was years ago, and I know that there's Al-Mecha and the Robot Damashii incarnations, and I'm spoiler-evading like crazy, but even then, I don't give a crap at what I think this is - it's getting bought, in multiple instances, and painted up. One standard Soviet tan or green, one Warsaw Pact country (Leaning towards Czechoslovakia or Romania), and one Soviet client state. Maybe Syria.

Then yeah maybe one just in the original colors, but holy shiiiiiiiiit.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I was super excited to watch the newest episode of FMP today! What would happen next in the story!?

Well, you’ll have to tune in next week because this week is recapping the last 4 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What the gently caress is this poo poo, recapping on episode 5

am I watching naruto

• Locked thread