Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

:69snypa:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Coming soon from Kaiser Pemanente; Something Healhful. "Free" healthcare makes you stupid.

AWFUL LINK OF THE DAY: https://www.nhs.uk

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

thats not the way to get aneck in life

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
OP, you could go the Wikipedia route and have the site spam everyone with a friendly message that if every registered member of SA donated just $3.28 you could pay off your doctor bill in only three minutes!

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

gently caress a half measure just lock the forums and make everyone pay ten more bones to post.

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.
Ok, now you are officially more broke than me.

So I bought platinum and archives and avatar and poo poo.

US healthcare is a loving disgrace.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

rear end posted:

$61k for surgery that, had it not been done, could've resulted in a heart attack. Is there no way to weasel out of this?

Maybe he could sue his parents for making genetic defects or possibly an organized religion for negligence. Are the auditors aware that god wasn't following generally accepted practices when life was created? You can probably sue the auditors if they signed off on this life creation process.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kazak posted:

gently caress a half measure just lock the forums and make everyone pay ten more bones to post.

wanna keep posting? better pay THE TAX :madmax:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just ask them if they accept account upgrades as payment

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Could have universal healthcare if the taxes weren't so...low.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Kazak posted:

I have a friend who got charged an astronomical price for a three hour stay, they negotiated down to something feasible but it's more accurate to say they vocally, adamantly refused to pay the hyper inflated initial price.

As I understand, the way that works is that when they deal with insurance companies, they bill high and then negotiate down to roughly what they intended to charge anyway. Except that they can't have a different asking price for insured and uninsured patients.

I remember reading something which advised asking something like "How much would you end up actually paying if I had insurance?", something to indicate that you know how the game is played.

Universe Master posted:

Could have universal healthcare if the taxes weren't so...low.

Last I checked, the US government pays more per capita on healthcare than many countries with full-on single-payer systems. So it's not about jacking up taxes so much as cost control - telling companies that they can't charge whatever they feel like for the things people need to live, no matter how good their lobbyists are at giving blowjobs.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 15, 2018

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Canada might have socialized healthcare but it's often impossible to obtain it, so don't feel too bad. Most of the time it's "well, you're merely in complete anguish and praying for death 99% of the time, so this procedure is considered optional and you'll have to pay the whole thing". It's then often either just as expensive or you'll wait three years on a list.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Iirc the tax man has insurance. High deductible insurance but insurance none the less.

I think for an individual the max out of pocket is usually 6-8k so while still an expensive financial burden, is at least "less awful".

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gimbal lock posted:

Canada might have socialized healthcare but it's often impossible to obtain it, so don't feel too bad. Most of the time it's "well, you're merely in complete anguish and praying for death 99% of the time, so this procedure is considered optional and you'll have to pay the whole thing". It's then often either just as expensive or you'll wait three years on a list.

Ah yes, as opposed to American insurance companies that do exactly the same but in a more inefficient fashion that gives access to much less people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I wonder if the people Trump bombed in Syria are getting free healthcare right now.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I bought plat while unemployed because of this.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so they would just let you die or is this a debt you can kind of run away from

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lowtax posted:

Dude the new Nismo units are going for $190k. It's insane, the whole reason of buying a GTR originally was price to performance ratio. Now they're pricing themselves out of the market.

You don't need the Nismo, just get the Premium for like 110k.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gimbal lock posted:

You live in Canada?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat they should throw in some free tits for that much. :mamacita:

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

And to hell with you if you suggest spending money to make it better! MY TAXES!!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ah yes, here it is. The 'pity me' post.
"Don't get the fancy spine" we said.
"Don't go for all the bells and whistles like anastheasia" we said.
"No" you said.

Well now look atcha.

(Sorry taxman :( )

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Beef City posted:

Ah yes, here it is. The 'pity me' post.
"Don't get the fancy spine" we said.
"Don't go for all the bells and whistles like anastheasia" we said.
"No" you said.

Well now look atcha.

(Sorry taxman :( )

Well he is part robot now and closer to perfection than a lot of us buddy. :colbert:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Gimbal lock posted:

Canadian as well, your mileage may vary. They've always been very expedient. Longest anyone I know had to wait was a couple of months and that's only because of secondary complications.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Canadian as well, your mileage may vary. They've always been very expedient. Longest anyone I know had to wait was a couple of months and that's only because of secondary complications.
Yeah I've heard both sides from a few Canadians, but it tends to err on the "it does work." I did know someone personally who had a terminally ill father who waited too long to get checked out, and by the time he did they basically punted him to the back of the priority list because there was little to be done other than let him die. That really sucked for her.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I've heard both sides from a few Canadians, but it tends to err on the "it does work." I did know someone personally who had a terminally ill father who waited too long to get checked out, and by the time he did they basically punted him to the back of the priority list because there was little to be done other than let him die. That really sucked for her.

That sucks, but that happens even with US care, or if you go private and pay for it yourself in.
Good doctors won't help if they think its a lost cause, bad ones will take your money and gently caress up the chances of the NEXT patient that deserved that kidney/chemo/whatever.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Well he is part robot now and closer to perfection than a lot of us buddy. :colbert:

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

TheReverend posted:

Iirc the tax man has insurance. High deductible insurance but insurance none the less.

I think for an individual the max out of pocket is usually 6-8k so while still an expensive financial burden, is at least "less awful".

It's pretty bad even with insurance. Without insurance, this would have wiped him out (or anyone else not independently wealthy.)

USA, where having health insurance just means you'll scrabble desperately to pay your bills while arguing with bureaucrats about what your life is worth

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

happyhippy posted:

That sucks, but that happens even with US care, or if you go private and pay for it yourself in.
Good doctors won't help if they think its a lost cause, bad ones will take your money and gently caress up the chances of the NEXT patient that deserved that kidney/chemo/whatever.
Oh I know. Medicine, at its best, is really utilitarian and the ugly realities of that can hurt a lot of people... but not more than the people who end up in an oubliette of tubes and medications waiting for a bedsore to get infected and finally kill their delirious asses.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ikanreed posted:

I bought plat while unemployed because of this.

I did the same right before the surgery. I’d genuinely throw a couple Hundo your way lowtax but I don’t got much left :(

gently caress the people in power that let hosed up poo poo like this happen daily. So many people get to either die from not being able to get medical treatments or live and feel like burden because they now owe so much money. Disgraceful poo poo.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Gimbal lock posted:

most of the "you have to wait forever" stuff stems from non-emergency stuff. wah wah i had to wait for hours in the ER when I broke my wrist type stuff

(meanwhile some guy who hit a maple tree out for a rip is bleeding out on a table but hey IM WAITIN HERE)

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Is that before or after whatever insurance you may or may not have?

Also, looks like it's time to sell out again. Is eFront still around?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I have paid more for the forums than I would have paid for the surgery here in :sweden:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That bill is a loving disgrace and it still baffles me as to why so many Americans accept that kind of poo poo instead of marching on all the bastards responsible and tearing them apart. It's straight up indecent and inhumane, putting people in debt for the rest of their miserable lives, ugh.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Glad to hear that you got your spine replaced with diamonds I bet it looks really cool

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

That bill is a loving disgrace and it still baffles me as to why so many Americans accept that kind of poo poo instead of marching on all the bastards responsible and tearing them apart. It's straight up indecent and inhumane, putting people in debt for the rest of their miserable lives, ugh.
It's about racism.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
How much is that per vertebrae?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Americans really are a nasty, spiteful people who enjoy seeing their "lessers" suffer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh yeah, feel better Lowtax. No one will be able to say you don't have a spine after this, so feel free to be cowardly and take the easy way out at every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Sentinel Red posted:

I love it that each hospital in the US won't show an official price list of anything they do.
So if you got the same thing done in different hospitals you would get wildy different prices, depending on how much they think they can get you to pay.

• Locked thread