Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
So there I am last night, watching YouTube on one monitor and browsing the forums on the other, minding my own business, when the audio turns into a harsh buzz and Windows stops responding. No BSOD, but it definitely crashed.

I hard power off, unplug my external hard drives, and when I hit the button again, it doesn’t boot. Just a constant power cycle where it turns on, then immediately off before reaching the BIOS.

I have two obvious options:

1. RMA through the Amazon seller
2. Replace the PSU

Option 2 is faster and would get me a working computer faster (critically, I have class projects with unfinished milestones due very soon). Because the built-in PSU was a crummy 300W piece of crap, I’d prefer to replace it myself, IF - and this is a big if - there’s no other damage to the computer. Replacing any parts would also void the warranty, meaning I could not RMA.

I guess what I’m asking is, how can I make sure a PSU swap will fix the issue, and that I haven’t somehow damaged my motherboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Only thing you can really do is check for anything obvious on the motherboard or other hardware such as scorch marks or popped capacitors.

I normally recommend doing the RMA.
RMA process can take awhile though.
If it is urgent replacing the PSU shouldn't prevent you from exercising the warranty if you hold onto the old PSU to reinstall and don't physically break or modify the case if you do have to send it back.

Local laws vary on this though, so it's at your own risk.

Also, do you have important data on this machine and is it backed up? Keep in mind computers sent in for RMA usually come back with a fresh OS and no data.

Myrridinos fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 18, 2018

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Going with the PSU swap. In the worst case scenario, I will keep the old one. Thankfully all my important data is on external drives or cloud storage.

• Locked thread