Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My hype is 666% powerful. Honestly haven’t been this excited about a game in years. It’s a nice feeling. I bought this from Target yesterday because I physically couldn’t not grab it:

Raddest figure I own.

1stGear posted:

This is the game that finally broke me and got me to buy a PS4. In the mean time, let's talk about Norse mythology and how loving rad it is! Any stories I tell in this thread will be based on Neil Gaiman's recent compendium Norse Mythology, with the Internet filling in the gaps and an occasional dash of my own pizazz.

AWESOME MYTHOLOGY GOODIES

How is that book? I’m a lifelong huge Norse mythology nerd (my first and only tattoo was a valknut, gently caress off nazis I love it) but haven’t read that one.

e: just smashed that motherfuckin digital deluxe preorder button. Preload time!

I couldn’t pass up the physical pin and extra stuff :3: capitalism owns

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

C-Euro posted:

This is as close as I've gotten to buying a console to play one game in a long long time. I've been hype as hell for this ever since that 2016 E3 trailer.

PS4 has a ton of amazing exclusives. Do it!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve seen the sentiment elsewhere, how is Norse mythology played out exactly? I mean outside of Thor, where are all these viking games?

It’s not played out at all honestly and I’m glad GoW might usher in a wave of developers playing around in the mythology.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Capn Beeb posted:

I'd love for this to result in a Rune remake.

Now there’s a blast from the past! I don’t even remember if that game was good or not but I was all about it at the time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m going to unbookmark for a while since I want to avoid spoilers and not let others skew my feelings on the game. Have fun everyone! :) be nice to your good son!!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was going to avoid this thread for a while but hahahaha oh my god within the first hour or so this game has the best boss fight I’ve probably ever experienced. Holy poo poo. I was smiling the entire time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I NEED them to add a horse/survival mode to this asap. The combat is too satisfying.

e: not fixing that typo. I’ll take a horse survival mode any day.

e v2.0: just read they’re adding a photo mode soon yesssss

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 20, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

C-Euro posted:

Can you do the thing from the 2016 trailer and throw the axe at a guy to pin him against an object while you punch out a different enemy?

Yeah and you can proceed to line up a few enemies between you and the axed enemy, kick them into each other, and call it back to you ripping through their bodies :black101:

I really have to get good at the parrying system and axe stuff. It adds up for a lot of great combos. I’m getting the hang of the iframe rolls at least.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The puzzles in this game are so fun. I know they’re nothing crazy complex but they nailed a perfect balance where I always feel accomplished when I find runes or navigate through a tricky setup.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Random useful things I’ve found:

Always be throwing that axe at weak points

Learn the iframes and dodge a ton

Don’t forget about the MY SON button

Juggle everything you can juggle

L1 shield parry whenever you can

I’m finding that adopting a kill the adds mmo style approach helps a lot. Knock off the wimpy annoying enemies and then work on the bigs

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Over There posted:

drat, the combat is actually pretty solid.

Starting to think every other third person action game is about to feel real rough and boring after this.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sometimes I just boomerang my axe a bunch because of how satisfying it is.

What kind of skills are you all going for? I have no idea how I want to approach it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

God of War x King of the Hill

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Atreus is so sweet too :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like how this game has great checkpoints and the ability to pretty much save at any moment you want.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

I laughed my head off when I came across a shop after a boss fight. The shops are so video gamey but they also fit the weird world of mythical journeys so perfectly.

Brok is a good fuckin’ dude.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

One thing I’m not clear on, if I hit a side area can I always do it right then and there? Or is there a Metroid type deal where I have to come back later to complete some stuff.

Definitely the latter.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s insane how within the first few hours it was pretty obvious this game was going to be my GOTY but it keeps getting massively better every hour. Good loving job Sony. This is exactly why I jumped ship from Microsoft and I couldn’t be happier about that choice.

When the game opens up with the (early not big deal spoiler) world serpent part, good lord. The camera work, the voice, the way Atreus is the only thing clearing up the fact that you’re not about to get wrecked. It’s all very awesome. The camera/perspective transitions are so well done when it comes to keeping you aware of your place in the world.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Christopher Judge's incredible voice telling the story of the tortoise and the hare :kimchi:

I thought I would miss the old Kratos but Judge is really good. Way better honestly considering the story and writing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kin posted:

Yeah, it's just not intuitive. What i'm wondering is are we in the minority (are our brains hosed) or is it just something that isn't considered during testing.

L2 is the aim button and R2 is the shoot button in just about every game ever. I took to GoW’s controls pretty fast.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I use a 55” 1080p plasma from about 4 feet away and I’m fine with the text but if you sit across the room then lol sorry better grab some binocs

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

At the risk of sounding like an edgelord, I wish this game was gorier. GOW 3 went way too far with it, but the glowing neon monster blood in this one isn't really doing it for me. Just makes me feel like I'm fighting robots or something and the rare vs human fights seem to intentionally have the violence toned way down.

The charge R2 axe attack has a super sick nasty decapitation move. It rules.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MY DUDES please don’t encourage taking away the loot and crafting in the future, it is fiercely my poo poo <3

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Atreus is perfect and if you hate him please return your copy of Dad of War.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh man the part where the elves grab your boy and Kratos goes into a rage and you KO like 20 elves owwwwwnnnnnnss.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just went through the light beam area and beat the boss and yeahhhhh this is just as good as the 10/10 reviews said. So dang happy about this game existing. If it’s not my GOTY then good lord 2018 is going to be insane. The combat is the most fun I’ve had fighting in any game ever. I’m desperate for a horde mode down the line. Also come on patch that photo mode in ASAP! I haven’t seen an eta on it but it’s surely coming soon.

What runic attacks are you guys enjoying? I haven’t totally settled on an R1 but I like the wide horizontal slash I got somewhere recently. R2 has been the leap smash aoe freeze since I first got it. Absolutely wrecks clusters of enemies.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Played for 9 hours today :captainpop:

My son is EXTREMELY POWERFUL

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like them a lot and have gotten every one I’ve seen so far but some of them are super sneaky.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Was it the fire ancient? He wrecked my poo poo until I realized he was optional.

e:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/987447548381024256

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 22, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I thought about going back to bed this afternoon but uhhhh no it’s time to eat some lunch and jump into this beautiful game.

exquisite tea posted:

I can't wait until someone puts out a GoW highlight reel because as cool as Kratos looks in combat to me, I believe a more skilled gamer than I could make it all flow masterfully.

I’m not usually into speed runs but watching really good players blast through GMGOW difficulty is going to be absolutely bonkers.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Noirex posted:

The 2nd boss fight is just mental, are all GoW boss fights this amazing? It's my first time playing GoW and although I get a little lost by some references, this game is phenomenal and a must buy even if you're a first timer like me.

Yup that’s pretty much the GoW “thing”. Insane set pieces and epic battles against gods and monsters. It would be a little rough going back but I think it’s worth grabbing GoW 3 later on if you want a taste of the old games. They’re super fun but you’ll be amazed how much they improved Kratos and the entire story.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oh my loving god the (mountain journey spoiler) dragon boss was the most epic fight I’ve ever had in a game. I don’t really react strongly to games in a physical way but when it ended I was in a full dumb smile/jaw dropped state. How does it manage to keep one upping not only the rest of the game but the entire series full of insane battles.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Game starts and asks me to care about Kratos's son, then makes no effort to explain what their relationship even was so why should I care?

It can get answered down the road but right now this doesn't even feel like his kid, it's literally just some excited child following me

All of that is pretty much the point and is expanded on throughout the game, at least up to the part I’m at.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's not that I need it spelled out or anything, it's just Kratos feels really detached right now. He gets mad at protective but he never seems to be all that involved when he's actually interacting with him I guess. I never said I'd write it off completely or that there's no chance at all for him to grow on me but when the relationship is as murky as it is right now then I'm just left feeling kind of lukewarm.

I've seen comparisons to TLoU so going to use that, but it made a bit more sense there. Joel and Ellie had no idea about each other before they met and Joel starts off somewhat detached because he doesn't really know this kid at all. I really enjoyed seeing them bond and come together in that game because, while yes video game pacing aside, it felt kind of organic.
Kratos and his son, at the point I'm at now with the very little knowledge I have of the situation, feels like a Joel and Ellie situation at the start but it's just weird to me because they're supposed to be blood relatives that have been living together for years.

If it gets better then I'll welcome it and hell in retrospect be like "yeah alright it's fine" but right now? I'm just eh on a video game character.

Keep playing. They barely know each other when you start the game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sab669 posted:

Tough to read anything about this game without spoilers... How is it? Worth $60? All the changes to the game good or at least not bad?

Extremely, extremely good and like 40+ hours long so well worth the price compared to most games.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nail Rat posted:

Hot drat I just got the game and this is one of my big pet peeves. I don't even have a 4k but I basically stand in front of the TV most of the time as it's mounted on a wall pretty far from. The couch and I can't read the text.

Where is the menu for text size?

Accessibility I believe.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NNick posted:

Okay, I highly recommend everyone go to (minor spoiler) muspelheim asap. It is great, especially for the goon looking for combat stuff.

Oh dang I guess I should find my way there. Is it available from the hub or does it unlock through the story?

exquisite tea posted:

Just fought my first Valkyrie in extremely epic fashion. Got her down on my first try, a sliver of my own health landing perfect shield parries to seal the deal. Really glad I stuck with Challenging because now my combination of skills + gear is owning.

I am consistently amazed by the quality of level design. Even what you think are going to be little side areas have tons of secret rooms and treasures, or lead into some meaningful character development between Kratos and BOY. When they said GoW was going to be a 30-35 hour game I think they were being a bit too conservative, I can easily see it taking 50+ to clear out everything.

GoW is literally the game people want when they talk about wanting an open world game where there’s no fluff and everything ties into the main story. Nothing feels out of place or pointless.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

I must have died at least ten times in a row to that loving wolf cave in Fafnir's treasure room, especially since I went there super early in the story.

Haha that quest kicked my poo poo in. I’m on normal and had to restart at least 10 times while fighting the Revenants.

Thumbtacks posted:

can i make kratos wear armor and have it actually show or is it mainly for stats and poo poo

im assuming he can wear stuff because its 2018

Everything has cosmetic changes. The armor pieces you get, every time you upgrade your weapons, etc.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Me when a soul eater/elemental fella thinks he can whoop the k man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hahaha oops thanks for reminding me you can upgrade runic attacks...