Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Started playing this this week, going in cold.

I just buried my axe in Magni's FACE.

Great game so far. Really loving the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Is there any DLC planned for this or are they saving everything for the sequel? I'm kinda surprised at how much they blew their load on this game if it's a whole trilogy... they touched on a LOT of stuff already, way more than they did in the first game with Greek mythology.

About to go into Jötunheim, still gotta paste some Valkyries first.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

esperterra posted:

God of War 2(6) technically I think?

Isn't Ascension technically GoW4? lmao

Nope, it's in the same boat as the PSP stuff.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

^burtle posted:

My guess is that they're going right into a new trilogy with GoW2(5) involving Thor/Odin capturing kidnapping Boy and then 3 is just a pure revenge grind.

I get the feeling the final game we might actually be playing AS Boy, because Kratos is already dead or something.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dienes posted:

You have to admit that if the series were to suddenly tackle say, Egyptian mythology, Boy's ability to rapidly understand language would be pretty handy.

I dunno, but I wanna see Kratos flip a pyramid, now. Onto Anubis' dumb dog FACE.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Man, Sigurd does not gently caress around.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dick Holden posted:

One way to squeeze more hacksilver out of Niflheim is to spend any spare mists on Perfect Blight enchantments and sell them back for hacksilver.

Or just sell the Echoes directly. Sindri buys them near the start of the workshop.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

That's helpful to know, thanks! Throwing my axe at her didn't break it, so I assumed that nothing else would.

Cleave makes almost everything flinch. It, the Frost Heavy Runic buff, and Spartan Rage are the most flinch heavy attacks, I've found. Dunno if that applies in NG+, I just beat the game last night for the first time and am gonna take a break, but maybe? If you get your Cooldown high enough to get the bonus effect on Cleave it becomes really easy to trigger the bullet time and then charge up and flinch whatever it is out of their attack... I cheesed the hell out that to beat Sigrun pretty easily with no resurrection stone, but again, this was in regular NG on the hard difficulty (not GMGOW).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I mean society kind of only exists because by and large most women are natural caregivers. Like their brain bombs itself with chemicals to make sure they love the baby and take care of it and not leave it by the road when it cries.

I’m sure we’re barely 2 years away from an indie walking sim where you discover a bombed out train station but it’s actually a metaphor for post partem depression.

If you actually want to experience a perfect gender-swap of the Ellie/Joel, watch the movie “Ultraviolet” to see how those kind of stories would turn out.

Please explain to me what the birth orgasm is, oh great wise one.

:yikes:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Freya's kind of a bad mom

But she doesn't really redeem herself. I am eagerly looking forward to her coming back as a Valkyrie in the next or third game and Kratos ripping her wings off with his bare hands.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I think a big part of it is also that the narrative in this game isn't questionable or vague, or up to interpretation, for the most part. There is some discussion to be had about where they will go next, but there's no real discussion on whether the choices the characters make (as you have no choices yourself) were justified. As a counterpoint you could look at The Last of Us, which people discussed or months afterward and wrote multiple articles about the philosophy and justification of the ending, despite the player having no real agency in choosing how the game ended. GoW, on the other hand, is pretty cut and dry in its presentation, and while that doesn't mean it has any less depth than a more nuanced narrative, there's also a lot less to discuss, particularly when you know there's more to come from the story.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I found it way easier to complete all or most of teh Midgard stuff to max out most of the axe and blade abilities (those that you can) before tackling both of them. Honestly, Nif was a little easier, I did that a bit first to stock up and beef up my gear and whatnot, then used that to do Musp.

The key thing is to do the Dwarves' quest, as Sindri's chestpiece is literally the best torso piece in the game, even though its stats end up slightly lower than the Valkyrie armor when maxed out... the special ability on it is stupidly good and handy, especially when you end up with 100+ Cooldown and are dropping Runics constantly, which is basically how you farm Nif easily. I used that armor all the way to the end, with the Valk gloves and belt filling out the rest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

For Sigrun I found the best combo was Hel's Flash or whatever it's called and Frost Giant's Frenzy (I think? the one where you keep slamming the ground with R2), along with the Wolves for BOY and the blue stun arrows, not the lightning ones. Never use the Blades.

The reasoning behind this is that the flash move is just the best Light Runic by far... it recharges the fastest, is stupidly fast to trigger, and it can knock Sigrun out of most of her attacks, at least on NG playing on Hard. The Giant slam I went with over the Frost damage buff thing because it recharges faster, ends up actually doing more damage if you catch her in the maxed out one, and at least while I was using my Sindri chest + 2 Valk combo I was basically invincible while doing it, although every hit would make her flinch and the last two you can actually move forward to catch her as she retreats.

The Wolves are handier than the Crows for her because the Crows do basically nothing to her... she won't flinch and they do lovely damage, so they're a waste. The Wolves pretty consistently flinch her and can actually knock her out of the air or various attacks, like when she does the unblockable stab into the ground with the AoE light flash... sometimes you're too close to level geometry to be able to get away fast enough, that's what Hel's or the wolves are for. The stun arrows you use because they do more flinch damage and knock her out of the air faster when she does that chain of flying up and throwing a mess of poo poo at you, or flies up and does the fast blinding shockwave. You could throw the axe at her, of course, but it's easier to have BOY shoot her down because you can keep blocking the 4 golden discs or dodge the unblockable one that will gently caress you up. This doesn't work on NG+, though, so... haha get hosed? Some people use Ratatoskr instead for the free items, but eh, I found the wolves to be more useful to give you some breathing room since they slap her around for a few seconds. The wolves were also great to trigger when you hit Spartan Rage because they lock her down so she can't really dash around and waste your bar, plus she's not attacking you and also wasting your bar so you can regenerate the maximum possible health.

The reason you don't use the Blades is that they just don't hit hard enough and if you're using the same gear sets that most are at that point, you've got more of the special unlocks going on the Axe, plus the blades have longer attack animations and just don't do as much damage, and you can't throw them at her in a pinch to get her out of the air. The axe can also trigger the frost debuff if you get a good run, and that actually does slow her down slightly which can help with dodge timing.

For the Enchantment it was all about Kvasir's for me, the bullet time dodge is super handy, particularly with her double-chained attacks since you could dodge the first strike and then knock her out of the attack with Hel's while in bullet time, or just charge up a heavy strike to smash her if you were fast enough.

All that poo poo plus a Berserker Resurrection stone and you should be able to pull it off. Trigger your Spartan Rage early on when you've taken like 40% of your bar in damage rather than waiting until you're down in the red, as well... if you get lucky like I did, you'll end up recharging it enough to trigger the shorter one and never even need to use the Resurrection Stone.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 3, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Valk is the best set in the game when mixed with Sindri's Nifl chest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Niflheim Svartalf king is the worst.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

After beating the game I have to say that Baldur wasn’t that great of a villain. Performed very well, yes, but he wasn’t around enough, even just in passing, and his boss fights were kind of same-y and simple. It feels like everything with him was setup for Freya in the sequel. I’m betting spreading the ashes revive the giants somehow and I did go home.

On to NG+ I think.

... you're not very familiar with Norse Mythology, huh?

Baldur's death is foretold as the start of Ragnarok, that's specifically why he's made to be nigh invulnerable.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

I probably shouldn’t have to be.

I mean, okay? The original games didn't actually explain much about Greek mythology at all, it was just assumed you knew what was up in a lot of cases.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

haveblue posted:

You don't need to know Norse mythology. If you do you can pick up on extraneous references here and there and even anticipate some plot and character beats but the game will tell you directly anything that's important to understand.

Same as the original games, really.

The whole Ragnarok explanation will undoubtedly show up in the next game.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 18, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

Objectively speaking the idea of a game being exclusive to one console should enrage me about how monopolistic it is, but I’m not sure I will be able to help myself with the prospect of Horizon 2 and BoI 2.

Objectively speaking if the company that makes the console also paid for all of the development of the game, it makes zero sense for them to put it out on any sort of competition's device.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

This and Spidey were tied for me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

I liked the characterization but it got annoying for me game-play wise pretty soon after he killed Modi. I could swear Boy would actually disobey my in-game commands and did whatever he wanted during fights. There were moments when he would flat out refuse to fire his bow at things I told him too and would just shout "NO!" at me.

I know there were scripted events like him going ape poo poo on a Soul Eater before I even decide to engage it but this was like Boy didn't want to play Dad of War with me anymore.

Yeah... That was intentional. Were you paying attention to the story?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Totally, but it still didn't stop it from being annoying or wanting to fling Boy into the stratosphere with my Chains of Chaos. Know what I'm saying, brother?

I mean, that's kinda the point. They want you to internalize Kratos' frustration, and they did it amazingly.

Welcome to being the parent of a teenager. This is the poo poo your parents had to put up with, but they did it for YEARS.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

That’s may have been my favorite part of the game. It was such a holy poo poo moment when I realized what was happening.

:agreed:

But apparently that pissed off and annoyed people. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kaddish posted:

Credit to Sony, if the sequel is PS exclusive for ~3 years, which I assume it will be, I might have to buy a PS5.

Sony Emperor voice: "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen it."