Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was going to avoid this thread for a while but hahahaha oh my god within the first hour or so this game has the best boss fight I’ve probably ever experienced. Holy poo poo. I was smiling the entire time.

:same: it is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

My only complaint so far is the lack of custom button mapping. I want to map R3 to the 180 turn rather then press down on the d-pad. Moving to the d-pad feels really awkward in the middle of combat. The alternative controls don't look much better.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Okay, I highly recommend everyone go to (minor spoiler) muspelheim asap. It is great, especially for the goon looking for combat stuff.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh dang I guess I should find my way there. Is it available from the hub or does it unlock through the story?

GoW is literally the game people want when they talk about wanting an open world game where there’s no fluff and everything ties into the main story. Nothing feels out of place or pointless.

You get there through the hub. I am not sure when it unlocks but I went exploring after the (minor mid game spoiler serpent moves the hub thing for you .

I would go to the hub and see if it is open. If not, you likely aren’t far away.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Playing through without knowing much about the first trilogy is actually a viable way to do it. If you’ve played them you can view the game through Kratos’ eyes as just more poo poo that won’t leave you alone. If you go in blind you kind of experience it through Atreus’ eyes. You know your dad has done some dark poo poo but you slowly learn about it over the course of the game. Kind of like playing a video game version of Unforgiven.

I really like this take on Atreus. I love how they weave Atreus progression into the combat and you feel like he is growing as progress in the story. This is the first game where I care a lot more my companions progress than my own.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

SettingSun posted:

I like that Atreus and Kratos have a dialogue justifying exploring around after every major story event that allows you to.

This simple dialog solves problems I have with pretty much every open world game I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

I beat the game tonight and I have to get some stuff off my chest!

I call bullshit on 2 things.
1: I thought I'd get a peak inside all 9 realms but here we are only getting half-ish. I have to assume this is just so they can stick with proper mythology but something felt real gross about being given the option to choose 4 other realms despite not actually being granted entrance to them.

I think it was intended to be more to set-up the world. We will likely go to all of them in due time. The writer's basically wrote the story for the second game prior to the first one. Plus if we went to all nine realms the game would be 100 hours.

quote:

2: The actual ending, where you go home to sleep. Um. What? "Years later" it says but nobody has aged at all, ya'll wearing the same armor, and Ragnarok was supposed to start like exactly 3 years after you fell asleep and typically the tone of a "years later" phrase doesn't mean 2 or 3 years. And it took "years" for Thor to get mad at you? This scene feels like it was patched in just so they had somewhere to put the credits.
Edit: Wait my credits just ended and they basically confirmed that "years later" means 3 years. Ehhhhhhhhhhh........

It was a dream sequence - which is why they don't look different.