Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Paul Jones dead at 75.

I remember his run as a manager feuding with Jimmy Valiant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOVEYtglxoQ

But he was a major in-ring talent in Mid-Atlantic before that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0li8xdwy2kc

Honestly, he wasn't a very good manager compared to guys like JJ and Cornette at that time, but he was fun to boo when he came to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He's one of those guys who looks better now than he did at the time, probably largely because there are so few managers anymore and the ones we do have don't really hold a candle to the managers of old. Most of my familiarity with him I have to admit comes from listening to those B&V Retro shows where they enjoy him and his awful stable of heels so much.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

He's one of those guys who looks better now than he did at the time, probably largely because there are so few managers anymore and the ones we do have don't really hold a candle to the managers of old. Most of my familiarity with him I have to admit comes from listening to those B&V Retro shows where they enjoy him and his awful stable of heels so much.

I loved when he called his stable his "Army" and he dressed in military gear.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

isn't he the one who feuded with Jimmy Valiant that featured some atrocious promo work from Valiant's wife (whose name escapes me at present)?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

I loved when he called his stable his "Army" and he dressed in military gear.

Something Cornette later swiped in SMW. Paul Jones ruled.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

Jason Sextro posted:

isn't he the one who feuded with Jimmy Valiant that featured some atrocious promo work from Valiant's wife (whose name escapes me at present)?

Yep. The Jones/Valiant feud lasted FOREVER! Jim Cornette talked about it on one of his podcasts. If I can find the clip, I'll post it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jason Sextro posted:

Big Mama.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I always liked that he looked like the murderer in every Columbo episode ever.

RIP Paul Jones. Underrated today but very good talker.

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
RIP in peace Paul Jones. Manny Fernandez once poo poo in your hat.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*
Me and my best friend have been binge watching NWA together, and we loved Paul Jones! He was a great bald headed geek, daddeh! Will never forget David Crockett's disgust when Manny turned heel and joined the Army, RIP.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Germ Incubator posted:

Me and my best friend have been binge watching NWA together, and we loved Paul Jones! He was a great bald headed geek, daddeh! Will never forget David Crockett's disgust when Manny turned heel and joined the Army, RIP.

Is that on the Network? I'd love to watch some of that stuff.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Absolutely, a big chunk of the feud's end (including Manny's turn) are in the Vault -> World Championship Wrestling. The turn is around September/October of 1986.

EDIT: Warning: you will have to listen to David Crocket on commentary

Iron Chef Nex fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 25, 2018

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I havent watched a ton of NWA stuff but there are a bunch of youtube channels that have old shows and tapes in pretty good quality. I dont know what the copyright situation is (Im assuming wwe bought the archives when they got WCW since you mentioned the network) so I dont wanna rat out any good channels and get them shut down but they arent hard to find. What were the "golden" years of the NWA? I know the product apparently declined in the mid to late 80s.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There wasn't really an "NWA" in the sense that you seem to be implying. The NWA was a whole bunch of different promotions and they all had different periods of being good and less good and each with their own big stars that may or may not be well known outside of that territory.

I mean, just look at all this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

During most of the 80s, the "main" NWA territory was Jim Crockett Promotions/Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling. Before that, Georgia and Florida were kinda hot, but when Crockett got the TBS show, they were pretty much considered "the NWA".

Germ Incubator posted:

I remember watching it as a kid. David's disgust was OUR disgust. Manny Fernandez was like the "tough guy best friend" to two of the biggest stars in Dusty Rhodes and Jimmy Valiant, so for him to turn heel was such a betrayal. You wanted to hate The Bull forever... but then that tag team with Rick Rude was so badass that you couldn't. Seeing Paul Jones leading these two down the aisle with Queen's "We Will Rock You" playing in over the PA was pretty drat awesome.

• Locked thread