Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

After a derail in the forums sagas thread went on for too long, PYF supermod EmmyOK posted this:

EmmyOk posted:

I've never eaten any kind of nut but let's move on from sweets as delicious as they are, or make a thread for it if you want. I'll even sticky it for like a week or something

So here it is, the thread to discuss all things sweet, salty, and otherwise junky. What's your favorite candy bar? Tell us again why Hershey's tastes like vomit! Are raisins in baked good really delicious, or are the they shriveled fruit of Satan? Now's your opportunity to tell us what you like to stuff your in goon face (and why, if you think we care).

I'll start: I prefer chocolate chips to raisins in oatmeal cookies, and nuts don't belong anywhere near baked goods at all (possible exception: pecan pie, since it has the word "pecan" in its name).

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Peanut puffs. Hard to find in the UK, more a European thing, but so good.

I like nuts in brownies, but only sometimes.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
If we're talking straight up junk food rather than candy and snacks, nothing will ever defeat a good shawarma roll. One day I hope to replace most of my body mass with that delicious shaved mystery meat.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

bloom posted:

If we're talking straight up junk food rather than candy and snacks, nothing will ever defeat a good shawarma roll. One day I hope to replace most of my body mass with that delicious shaved mystery meat.

Yup, I'm leaving it open-ended even though Emmy specified sweets because I know some people prefer salty/savory to sweet.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sonic has some killer pretzels that I find myself eating more often than not

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

junk food fast food etc. is grand imo, it's your thread ofc OP so you do you

A containment zone for goons talking about junk food is ideal

e: I'll sticky this for a few days like I said I would, might be a way to get new threads in PYF a fighting chance

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Literally never had a candy bar that was better than this and I don't even know if they exist anymore. No one in my family was obese by pure luck probably but we used to have the retail style boxes of these in our house all the time

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Candied orange peel. Dry, not sticky.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I really like Lays Fries and Gravy chips they only have them once a year and only in small bags but they are fantastic

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The packaging is extremely :jerkbag: but these are some good chips

Hot enough that you're not gonna binge on them but not so hot that it drowns out all the flavor.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'd like to thank the guy who posted about Cadbury's in the US using a different recipe than they use elsewhere. I was always so confused why Americans had such disdain for it when it was clearly better quality than the stuff you can find here, but I guess if you actually do find it here it's garbage?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i wish keebler still made pizzarias. i plowed through so many bags of those growing up.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'd like to thank the guy who posted about Cadbury's in the US using a different recipe than they use elsewhere. I was always so confused why Americans had such disdain for it when it was clearly better quality than the stuff you can find here, but I guess if you actually do find it here it's garbage?
it's poo poo because Cadbury's licensed it to Hershey, who puts Butyric acid in their chocolate. Butyric acid being the main scent component of vomit

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

never eaten a Reese's product

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

EmmyOk posted:

never eaten a Reese's product

Are you allergic to nuts or tree nuts or whatever or what because Reese's cups are so good...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm not allergic to any type of nut

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

EmmyOk posted:

Eat The Nuts

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Which nuts?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
deez

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Absolutely destroyed so many of these as a kid.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone else tried tree bark and actually liked it? I like it.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

I unironically love Mac's Cracklins
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mac-s-Original-Pork-Cracklins-Chicharrones-6-25-oz/27512247

See, it's not like the regular pork rinds out there that are all air and pork and sharp shards. These are air and pork and sharp shards...with extra bacony goodness.

or as they describe it dryly on the packaging "fried out pork fat with attached skin."

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Admittedly, I've never sampled pork rinds. Do they have the same bite as potato chips, or do they flake apart when you chomp into them?

For my contribution, I've enjoyed these cheese snacks in spite of only finding them at one or two bodegas in town: Barbara's Cheese Puffs (Original)

Going back to the argument over chocolate, has anyone tried See's Candies or Ghirardelli chocolates? I was wondering how the chocolate from either company held up compared to fine Swiss chocolate, for example.

Links:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Artsygrrl posted:

Admittedly, I've never sampled pork rinds. Do they have the same bite as potato chips, or do they flake apart when you chomp into them?

Well if it's your standard pork rind it's more like a puffed cheeto. So it sort of flakes and sort of bites. And much like cheetos..pork dust everywhere. Now those cracklins I posted about much less explode-y and more pork shard-y.

When my niece tasted one she declared "it's tastes like a farm." ymmv.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, okay then! They sell some around here and the bag comes with a sauce packet. Are there any cheap brands to avoid when it comes to pork rinds?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Artsygrrl posted:

Ah, okay then! They sell some around here and the bag comes with a sauce packet. Are there any cheap brands to avoid when it comes to pork rinds?

Your guess is as good as mine. The "biggest" brand I've seen is by Goya, all the others are names so random as to be generic. I only ever see pork rinds sold in the seediest of gas stations, walmart, and bodegas. I guess stay clear of the bags coated in dust as they've probably been sitting around too long.

Give them a try! Impress your friends!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
These are literally what they say they are and are incredible.
Rap Snacks Trina's Honeydew Cheese Puffs.
Yes.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Haw flakes. Which apparently contain a dye that isn't good for you but whatever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haw_flakes

The first disc tastes gross, imo, but the ones that follow are delicious.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

my god I miss these so much.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

i tried cookie butter recently and it was so unbelievably good but i don't know what to eat it on outside of just eating a spoonful like an animal

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

NienNunb posted:

i tried cookie butter recently and it was so unbelievably good but i don't know what to eat it on outside of just eating a spoonful like an animal

Put it on other cookies.
Put it on toast.
Put it in a milkshake.
Put it as a filling in a cake.
Or just eat it with a spoon as the Cookie God intended.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Artsygrrl posted:

For my contribution, I've enjoyed these cheese snacks in spite of only finding them at one or two bodegas in town: Barbara's Cheese Puffs (Original)

Hell yeah, Barbara's Jalapeno Cheese Puffs are addictive and worth it. I wonder if they've got distribution problems, though.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
No idea, but they should be sold in way more places. :btroll:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I miss those peanut butter stuffed peanut shaped cookies whatever they were called

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

I miss those peanut butter stuffed peanut shaped cookies whatever they were called

Nutter Butters or PB Crisps?
Either way, agreed.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Stairs posted:

Nutter Butters or PB Crisps?
Either way, agreed.

PB Crisps gently caress yeah that's the ones

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I think one of the strangest junk food products I've ever seen was a whole bag of pork floss sold in the chip aisle of a gas station.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love Taiwanese style popcorn chicken. The spices have a distinct Asian-y taste and I can't figure it out. Probably ginger and star anise or something. It's always sold in places that sell boba tea drinks. Be sure to add lots of extra pepper powder on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissFortune
Feb 15, 2009

The kind of fortune that never misses.

There is no better savory junk food in my eyes

• Locked thread