Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

In 1978, both computer games and computers in general were a relatively new thing. Both home computers and video game consoles existed, but they weren't exactly powerful, and the games available for them weren't the most sophisticated. Things were different in the land of the big hulking mainframe computers, however, which were powerful enough to even let its users play massive and highly complex adventure games like Colossal Cave Adventure and Zork, games way too huge to be possible to play on the 16k home systems that were the standard at the time.

A man named Scott Adams wanted to change this, at least to the best of his ability, and came up with a rather interesting solution - a "loader" program that contained instructions for how to load and interpret the content of other files. This essentially meant he could write an adventure game that contained absolutely no gameplay content, just the game engine itself, then have this program load an entire 16kb of game data from a separate file. Not only that, but he'd also be able to create new games by just writing a different content file and have the loader load this one instead. Or in simpler terms, he was able to create games that were up to twice as big as the computer technically allowed him to by spreading the game across two files and having the first file load the second one.

Up to 32kb of data still isn't all that much, of course, so Adams' games all ended up being rather short and compact, as well as relatively simplistic as far as the prose went; there simply wasn't room for the kind of elaborate room descriptions found in their mainframe cousins. That doesn't mean they're lacking in content, though, it's actually fairly impressive how much atmosphere and how many clever puzzles Adams was able to fit into these things.

Adams went on to create a whole series of games using this system, but we'll be focusing on the first one, "Adventureland", in this thread. As the name implies, it's loosely inspired by Colossal Cave Adventure, and while it doesn't really lift any items, locations or puzzles from that game, the overall atmosphere is relatively similar. This is going to be an interactive LP in the same vein as idonotlikepeas' LP of the original Colossal Cave Adventure from back in the day, and I'd suggest taking a quick look at how that played out for a general idea of what we'll be doing here.

In short, however: I'll be filling you in on what the game is saying, and you'll be telling me what we should be doing. Adventureland uses a very simple two-word parser, so a standard command will consist of a verb followed by a noun, like "go north", "eat food", "light lamp" etc. Since you'll be communicating with me rather than with the game directly, though, feel free to toss out suggestions like "go back to that room from 5 updates ago and do x". There's no real limit on how many actions you can suggest per post, but please try to stick to one general subject - if we entered a new room and there's a bunch of different items there, go ahead and suggest what we should try doing with each of them, but don't add "also, try going back to room 2 and doing this thing, then go to room 5 and do this other thing" to the mix as well.

Adventureland has a lot of dead man walking situations where we'll be completely unable to finish the game, and it doesn't always telegraph them all that well. I'm not going to prevent us from entering these, so if you suspect we might have screwed ourselves irreparably over, go ahead and suggest a reload to a specific earlier state. If we've been making a lot of progress since that state, just mention what you want us to redo, and I'll take care of that in one quick update.

There's a couple other features in the game I'll bring up when I get to them, but one thing I'll mention in advance is the HELP command. Pretty much every room in Adventureland that contains a puzzle will give a hint towards solving said puzzle if you give the game this command. It's not exactly cheating, and I'm not going to deny you the ability to use this command, though I'll heavily suggest trying to solve the puzzles without it instead of just asking for the hint right away. Most of the hints the command gives you are extremely blatant and practically spell out the solution for you, ruining a lot of the fun.

And one last thing: What is the plot of this game, you ask? What are we even supposed to do?
Well, Adams isn't telling. One rather unique aspect to his games is that, for the most part, they just plop you down into a new world and leave it to you to figure out what you're supposed to do there. It usually becomes apparent pretty quick, but in this first one you actually have to play for a bit before you'll figure it out.

With that said, let's get the game started. And please bear with me, this is my first LP.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Current score:

Our hero posted:

I stored 11 TREASURES. On a scale of 0 to 100 that rates: 84

Current inventory:

Our hero posted:

I am carrying the following:
Lit brass lamp. Flint & steel.

Most recently updated version of the map:

Verbs the game does not appear to recognize:
TRAVEL
PUNCH
USE
WEAR
POKE
UP
DISS
SLEEP
WAIT
SINK
DOWN
COVER
BE
ELECT
DRAIN
BUNYAN
AGAIN
SOUTH
RIDE
BOARD
SIT
REMOVE
EMPTY
AERATE
PUNCTURE
AWAY
PUT
MELT
SMASH
BREAK
COOL
BLOCK
PLACE
BRIDGE
OVERCOME
BECOME

Nouns the game does not appear to recognize:
BACON
LIGHT
-BUNYON-
XYZZY
PLUGH
PLOVER
SAND
BOG
ALL
RAM
ALADIN
OPEN
SESAME
POT
AIR
STREAM

Adamant fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 9, 2018

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Scott Adams posted:

This program will allow you to have an "Adventure" without ever leaving your armchair! you will find yourself in a strange new world. You will be able to LOOK AT, PICK-UP and otherwise MANIPULATE the objects you find there. You will also be able to TRAVEL from location to location. I will be your puppet in this Adventure. You command me with 2 word ENGLISH sentences. I've over 120 word vocabulary so if a word doesn't work, try another!

Some commands I know: HELP, SAVE GAME, SCORE, INVENTORY, QUIT.

The Author has worked over a year on this program and is currently writting many new Adventures, so PLEASE:
DON'T COPY OR ACCEPT A "PIRATED" COPY OF ADVENTURE! Press enter

Enter it is.

Our hero posted:

I am in a forest. Visible items:
Trees.
Some obvious exits are: NORTH SOUTH EAST WEST
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A voice BOOOOMS out:

Welcome to Adventure number: 1 "ADVENTURELAND".
In this Adventure you're to find *TREASURES* & store them away.

To see how well you're doing say: "SCORE"
Remember you can always say "HELP"
Tell me what to do?

This is the standard interface the game will be using. See that line up there? Everything above that line is the room description, which will always be present on the screen no matter how many other text messages will appear. It consists of a short description of the room, a list of items that can be interacted with, and a list of obvious exists. This doesn't mean these are the only possible items to interact with, or the only possible exits, however, so don't feel like you're limited to these specific lists.

So, what should our first course of action be?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If gaming has taught me anything then the answer is >CLIMB TREE

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

>CLIMB TREE

Our hero posted:

I am in a top of an oak.
To the East I see a meadow, beyond that a lake.
Some obvious exits are: DOWN
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell me what to do?

I'll draw us a map once the world expands a bit more, but at the moment I don't think we really need one to keep our bearings straight.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 21, 2018

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Eh, SCORE, just so we have a baseline.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

That sounds like a plan to me:

>SCORE

Our hero posted:

I stored 0 TREASURES. On a scale of 0 to 100 that rates: 0

Tell me what to do?

There's our baseline, I guess. Now what?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
CLIMB DOWN and TRAVEL EAST.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

>CLIMB DOWN

Our hero posted:

OK.

Trees.

Tell me what to do?

>TRAVEL EAST

Our hero posted:

I don't know how to "TRAVEL" something

Tell me what to do?

Wait, what? But Adams said I could do just that.

Well that's not good. Looks like we'll have to search for a different word.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 21, 2018

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

GO WEST

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

>GO WEST

Our hero posted:

OK.

Trees.

Tell me what to do?

That seems to have been the right word. This place looks curiously familiar, however.

Now that we've figured out that "GO" is an accepted word for traveling, I'll just be substituting that in in the future whenever someone wants to go somewhere but ends up referencing a verb the game doesn't like. I was actually surprised TRAVEL didn't work, considering that's the word Adams used in his intro.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 21, 2018

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

GO NORTH

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

>GO NORTH

Our hero posted:

OK.

Trees.

Tell me what to do?

Hands up those who were half expecting this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
> GO EAST

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Go in the direction of the areas we saw from the tree? You know, that just might work.

>GO EAST

Our hero posted:

OK.

I am in a sunny meadow. Visible items:

Large sleeping dragon.
Sign here says "In many cases mud is good. In others...".

Some obvious exits are: SOUTH EAST WEST

Tell me what to do?

Well that's certainly a change from all those seemingly identical trees.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
> PUNCH DRAGON :black101:

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

I like the way you think.

>PUNCH DRAGON

Our hero posted:

I don't know how to "PUNCH" something

Tell me what to do?

Unfortunately our hero seems to be... lacking arms?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

ATTACK DRAGON

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

>ATTACK DRAGON

Our hero posted:

It doesn't seem to bother him at all!
Maybe if I threw something?...

Tell me what to do?

There we go.

Aha, so the dragon is male. That sounds like a hint!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

THROW MUD

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Sounds like a good idea.

>THROW MUD

Our hero posted:

Sorry, I can only throw the ax.

Tell me what to do?

However, our protagonist's rather faulty arms prove to be a problem once again.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

THROW SIGN.

(Yeah, I know it said we can only throw the axe. Try it anyway).

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

>THROW SIGN

Our hero posted:

Sorry, I can only throw the ax.

Tell me what to do?

No surprises there.

Remember there's nothing wrong with giving several suggestions at once, especially if you're mostly convinced your suggestion won't have any effect.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
> GO SOUTH

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
INV, or GET INV - I seem to recall Adams’ parser was rather crap.

Yes, I’m old.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

snograt posted:

INV, or GET INV - I seem to recall Adams’ parser was rather crap.

Yes, I’m old.

We'll check.

>INV

Our hero posted:

Nothing At All

Tell me what to do?

>GET INV

Our hero posted:

Nothing At All

Tell me what to do?

Looks like they both work.

>GO SOUTH

Our hero posted:

OK.

I am in a dismal swamp. Visible items:

Cypress tree. Evil smelling mud. Swamp gas.
Patches of "OILY" slime. Chiggers.

Some obvious exits are: NORTH EAST WEST

Tell me what to do?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
> CLIMB TREE :v:

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Climbing trees is always the solution.

>CLIMB TREE

Our hero posted:

OK.

I am in a top of a tall cypress tree. Visible items:

Spider web with writing on it. Ring of skeleton keys.

Tell me what to do?

I believe this is a decent place to draw our first map. I'll toss an updated one in every now and then to give you a full overview over where we've been, where items are located, and where we've yet to go.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Book it Damo, I've cracked the case :smug:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
READ WEB

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

>READ WEB

Our hero posted:

Chop 'er down!

Tell me what to do?

I have to wonder how there can be writing on a spider web, though. How does that even work?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:ms:

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

This is one of the most amazing things I have seen in my life.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
> TAKE BACON

> TAKE WEB

> TAKE KEYS

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

>TAKE BACON

Our hero posted:

I don't know what "BACON" is.

Tell me what to do?

Clearly our hero is in dire need of reeducation.

>TAKE WEB

Our hero posted:

I'm bit by a spider
I'm DEAD!

I am in a large misty room with strange
unreadable letters over all the exits.. Visible items:

Sign says "LIMBO. Find right exit and live again!".

Some obvious exits are: SOUTH EAST WEST UP DOWN

Tell me what to do?

...uh, something tells me this isn't good.

>TAKE KEYS

Our hero posted:

I don't see it here.

Tell me what to do?

Definitely not good.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

GO DOWN

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

GO LIGHT

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

>GO LIGHT

Our hero posted:

I don't know what "LIGHT" is.

Tell me what to do?

Nice try, but nope.

>GO DOWN

Our hero posted:

OK.

I think I'm in real trouble now. There's a fellow here with
a pitchfork and pointed tail. ...Oh Hell!

You lost *ALL* treasures.
The Adventure is over. Want to try this Adventure again?

I guess you chose... poorly.

Yeah, I couldn't resist.

That's a game over, so we'll need to reload. Should we reload back to Limbo or just back to the tree before we got bit by that spider?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Let's go back to the Tree. I have a feeling we'll be seeing Limbo a lot in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Back to the tree we go.

Our hero posted:

Spider web with writing on it. Ring of skeleton keys.

Tell me what to do?

Rarity wanted us to try "TAKE KEYS" there earlier, so I'll just run that command for now.

>TAKE KEYS

Our hero posted:

OK.

Spider web with writing on it.

Tell me what to do?

That seemed like the healthier choice.

• Locked thread