Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
This thread is for pictures of food and/or still life. I would recommend that everyone read the old now-archived thread which is very informative not just as far as technique but also in how to think about food and still life photography. I would especially recommend 365 Nog Hoffer's posts (despite his hatred of glamour-style food photography) though there is a lot of other talent in the thread. Sadly, a lot of photos are missing

I've been learning food photography since last Christmas when my wife bought me this book by Corinna Gisseman along with two soft boxes and other equipment. I've been working on getting a good handle on the basics so that I can branch out and experiment. Here are some of my favorite shots (chronologically) over the past few months. Criticisms are very welcome

spinach gnocchi by https://www.flickr.com/photos/160301623@N04/, on Flickr

carrot cake by https://www.flickr.com/photos/160301623@N04/, on Flickr

firenze by j, on Flickr

One thing I quickly learned with still life is that you are responsible for every single detail. There is no luck or randomness and even the slightest imperfection is completely 100% your dumb fault. Too much flour on the gnocchi, not enough fill on the right side of the carrot cake, all on me. And a lot of the time you don't notice these mistakes until you've already made the pictures public but once you see the mistakes they're all you can see. And it's both impractical and useless to go back and fix the errors because you'd end up doing all the work again to make a change that most people wouldn't even notice. It can be deeply frustrating. I've also mostly given up on shooting hot food because it sucks to be loving around with a camera while your spouse is waiting to eat.

So let's see pictures of food. or still life

baw fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
has anyone posted a picture of their turd in one of these threads yet

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Magic Hate Ball posted:

has anyone posted a picture of their turd in one of these threads yet

there have been piss photos but no turds yet

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
food photography

I also took some pictures of fruit but I don't really like them

edit - the pictures I mean. fruit is good eat fruit

tviolet
May 20, 2004

tviolet fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 14, 2021

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Not food, but they're still and you could try eating them (not recommended)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Im the enemy sighted

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Haven't been feeling too inspired the last few weeks, this is the last photo i took

corn flakes and soy milk by https://www.flickr.com/photos/160301623@N04/, on Flickr

baw fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 21, 2021

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Cool stuff OP, the more playful stuff is a lot like Irving penn

baw
Nov 5, 2008

The XKCD Larper posted:

Cool stuff OP, the more playful stuff is a lot like Irving penn

Thank you for introducing me to him, this is the sort of stuff that really gets me thinking.

Right now I've mostly been inspired by Amy Lombard and these incredible photos by Maurizio Cattelan and Pierpaolo Ferrari so I'm really excited to have someone else to look to for inspiration

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I miss the old food thread but I'm not as bitter these days so I'm plum out of snarky photo ideas

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Giving the food/product photography thing another go. A friend is a co-founder of a spice company and sent me a sampler pack to play with in exchange for some Instagram fodder.

IMG_4431 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_4469 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_4520 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_4548 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

The fire shot was a pain in the dick because I couldn't keep the smoke down and my eyes were burning. Trying to blow the smoke out of the frame did inadvertently result in some cool ember trails though. My wireless flash trigger was also not working for some reason so both that and the finished shot weren't lit quite right either. I should have mise en placed better instead of running in and out of the house 40 times and almost knocking my camera into the fire.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

This is loving beautiful!

May I ask, what was your setup for this picture? Did you have a tripod basically over the whole fire? I feel like I'd be terrified of roasting my camera or the tripod having it directly over a fire.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

pseudorandom posted:

This is loving beautiful!

May I ask, what was your setup for this picture? Did you have a tripod basically over the whole fire? I feel like I'd be terrified of roasting my camera or the tripod having it directly over a fire.

Thanks! It's an enclosed fire pit thing you'd find on lots of peoples' patios. I built up a fire inside with a couple logs to support the cast iron. I actually cooked the fish on the grill then tossed it in the pan to take the shots real quick. I had two tripod legs straddling the fire pit and the third a little more vertical to get the camera as close to parallel with the ground as I could without tipping it over. Then just a wireless remote shutter and blowing like hell to get the smoke out of the frame as best I could.

One of these things:

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 24, 2018

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Local museum had a Teotihuacan exhibit, so I brought my camera to check it out. Hit up some of the other galleries as well. My only decent photos were of the sculptures and I wish I had more shots of people interacting with pieces.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

charliebravo77 posted:

Giving the food/product photography thing another go. A friend is a co-founder of a spice company and sent me a sampler pack to play with in exchange for some Instagram fodder.

IMG_4431 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_4469 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_4520 by charliebravo77, on Flickr
IMG_4548 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

The fire shot was a pain in the dick because I couldn't keep the smoke down and my eyes were burning. Trying to blow the smoke out of the frame did inadvertently result in some cool ember trails though. My wireless flash trigger was also not working for some reason so both that and the finished shot weren't lit quite right either. I should have mise en placed better instead of running in and out of the house 40 times and almost knocking my camera into the fire.

All good stuff. You got the fire photo right IMO

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Caught a couple petroglyphs and went full on TV news style on them

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Shot some menu items at a new restaurant. I really don't like shooting top downs of dishes, but I think they went ok.

I'm really hunting around for lighting setups that can be repeated that give consistent and interesting lighting to top downs, without plunging half the dish into darkness.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Practicing black field lighting and compositing several other shots for my studio lighting class. Really happy with how this one has turned out so far.

Glenlivet 12 year by Julius Lim, on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Weather here sucks at the moment so I figured I'd try out some more product style photos. Used some stuff I learned from Workphlo on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxZ__dXUrmpB0pNjJSgXp2w

Product Shot Testing by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Not super duper happy with parts of it, but not bad. I need to work on controlling the light better and a few more exposures would have helped in compositing it together. The mask needs some work in places too

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Very appetising

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I made a photograph of a plant.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Here's a watch

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
First pie I burnt the crust, second pie didn't have enough filling.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Hey this thread still exists. Don't die, thread.

Venison w/ Blueberry Sauce by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Venison w/ Blueberry Sauce by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Should have plated more/less sauce.
Congee by charliebravo77, on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

So, my wife works for a catering company on the operations/logistics side and they are trying to move to doing grocery and small family meal type deliveries since 200+ person weddings and corporate events aren't really a thing for the foreseeable future. She was given a couple boxes of meals for 4 to bring home so she could "take a few cell phone photos for instagram." Her boss is a friend that we have both known for like 20 years so why he didn't think this would happen, or just ask me to do it, I don't know.

Asian Mirin Glazed Salmon & Lemon Squares by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Kinda happy with these, kinda not. I could probably spend 10 hours going through and removing the imperfections from the fruit and it would have been nice if I had put a spike mark to get the glass exactly in the same spot every time and framed them all identical but here we are. Lessons for next time I suppose.

IMG_20200702_233609_673 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_20200702_233422_900 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_20200702_233422_901 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_20200702_233422_895 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_6141 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_20200702_234021_658 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'd drink em.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

I hate coffee and this looks delicious.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Thom12255 posted:

I hate coffee and this looks delicious.
I like coffee and that looks an abomination

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

This was my backup idea for the "Painterly" contest.

Sleepytime fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 2, 2021

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I know very little about lighting or composition, but sometimes when I am cooking I see geometry that catches my eye and I take a picture.

Honestly wondering if I should play around with these using some filters and whatnot, since I am in the dorkroom now... maybe they can be made into something worth looking at.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think the second is the stronger of the two, it's an interesting shape. Both I think could have been enhanced by just moving the bowls elsewhere, close to a window for some direct even lighting.
With the sprouts to me the interest is the sprouts themselves, the surrounding stuff isn't adding anything to the image. I also would have considered taking it from a low angle, closer up, looking across them, could be cool!

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

What I've learned trying to take food photos is that there's no such thing as too much (good) light and that anything else in the scene needs to be very intentional or it looks messy and more of a snapshot than an actual photograph. You can mitigate this a bit with shallow depth of field and blowing out the ancillary background items - for instance, if you were shooting lower and closer to the brussels like Megabound said, but still had the bacon and shallots and other ingredients in the background blown out where you are able to recognize that they are parts of the scene but not fighting for dominance against the brussels and their pattern which is the intent of the shot. I think the eggs on their own are a good shot and the only thing I'd probably do differently is get some more light on the scene/adjust the exposure.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

This is all great advice, and I should probably spend more time in this subforum learning this stuff.

Also I need to emptyquote some of the awesome pics in this thread, as is the custom of my people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020