Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

more pictures from the desert; started to edit them into my last post and forgot and closed my browser

the color one is made from three B&W exposures taken through red, green, and blue filters

tricolor by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

i have that pic of yours with the radar dome rising above the ridge like the moon saved bc it's one of my favorite photos i have ever seen.

thanks again :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

having some jams at the beach is good fun

speakers at the beach are okay as long as it's the sort of beach where people bbq and party and you aren't blasting it so you can hear your awful taste in music from 500 feet away.

do not bring bluetooth speakers to a rocky beach on a pristine wilderness lake. if you take speakers into the forest or the mountains you are instantly damned for all time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

what's the deal with tiny house lust

it is a lie the baby boomers tell themselves to avoid acknowledging that they have made it impossible for their children to live as well as they did

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bump

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honestly we need a better word than Tech to describe what we're actually talking about here

Like -- arc welding is technology, but that's not what's ruining the planet (except in a very abstract "capitalism ruins everything" way). Surgical tools are technology. Air traffic control is technology. LED light bulbs are technology.

The bad technology is computer technology, and more specifically it's computer technology where the overarching goal is harvesting your data to sell you things, and playing little psychological tricks to keep you coming back and revealing more about yourself and buying more poo poo

We need a word for that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

canoes are kinda cool but im not too keen on the switching sides to paddle all the time.

learn 2 j-stroke u scrub

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of the things my dad left to us was a 25 foot cedar strip canoe built for moose hunting. normally it would have been paddled by a team of 8 guys but it also has a square transom for an outboard motor. we have a 10hp mercury and it scoots pretty well. long, narrow waterline.

it's a gigantic loving pain to haul it to the water but it would be a pretty dang classy way to take the whole family on a trip if i had like 5 kids

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yee

i mean it's just a giant canoe, ultimately, but deep in the canadian shield that's what it was built for. carry a whole hunting party plus a week's supplies plus a dead moose or a couple of deer or like five hundred birds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jimmy Carter posted:

kind of considering getting Private Pilot's license these days now that I have some amount of money, even more so now that I just found out how many US Forestry Service airfields there are and how you can just land at most of them in your standard Cessna 172 and camp out in the middle of nowhere

:eng101: your renter's agreement will often prohibit you from landing on grass strips (without getting permission from the aircraft owner/flight school's chief pilot)

you can always buy a plane too, though, i suppose. get something with a tailwheel if you're gonna go into the woods

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Spent a couple of days back home in the woods of Quebec and ughhhhhhhhhh I'm tired of cities

This morning I took the cat for a walk and heard a loon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bulgakov posted:

snowpeak's purple titanium things are a hella good purp :hai:

u can do it yourself

https://i.imgur.com/RALY0aA.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if your badass is pink and fizzy, please see a doctor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

err: type mismatch

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Put a huge fuckin Garrett on it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Some guy keeps putting a post it note on my car's mirror that says "IF YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR CAR CALL ME 415-xxx-xxxx THANK YOU TONY". Found the third one this morning

I don't know why Tony is so interested in my 2002 Ford but I guess he really wants it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

outside

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

grad students are either great because they have enough life experience to appreciate the value of university, or horrible because they have enough life experience to think they know better than everyone else

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, I rise up every morning at a quarter to eight
Some woman who's my wife tells me not to be late
I kiss the kids goodbye, I can't remember their names
And week after week, it's always the same
And it's Ho, boys, can't you code it, and program it right
Nothing ever happens in the life of mine
I'm hauling up the data on the Xerox line
Then it's code in the data, give the keyboard a punch
Then cross-correlate and break for some lunch
Correlate, tabulate, process and screen
Program, printout, regress to the mean
Then it's home again, eat again, watch some tv
Make love to my woman at ten-fifty-three
I dream the same dream when I'm sleeping at night
I'm soaring over hills like an eagle in flight
Someday I'm gonna give up all the buttons and things
I'll punch that time clock till it can't ring
Burn up my necktie and set myself free
Cause no'one's gonna fold, bend or mutilate me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

I've been taking pretty good photos the last couple weeks and I have no desire to do it as a career but if I could just quit my job and take pictures all day without worrying about having to sell them I'd be really cool with that

i'm surprised to learn that qirex is a 23 year old white girl in LA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what's the joke

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iirc the clinton II era had the cheapest gas, inflation- and purchasing-power-adjusted, of any time in american history

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stymie posted:

basically lol if you’re old enough to have been alive during either clinton term

stymie, of course, substantiated from a cloud of sewer gas only a few months before registering on the forums

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it really says a lot about how much our society has evolved that even when i'm trying to insult stymie by calling them an incorporeal mass of foul vapors, i stop myself from using "it" out of respect to their gender identity (of which i have no knowledge)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

remember that girl a few years ago who was drawing lovely graffiti and "#creepytings" all over national parks and got arrested because she posted it on instagram

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

i ditched work today and tomorrow morning i'm going to soak in some hot springs at the gates of yellowstone

don't let the water up your nose or you'll get brain amoebas

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Have fun with ur new spirochete friends

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

bikes with pannier bags and maybe a front basket fuckin rule, i hate having to get in my car now after being here 2 months and being able to just get on biek for groceries or other stuff within a couple miles

sucks when you're forced to share the road with the two ton deathrollers, though

One Of Us

i have a bunch of FOUR WHEELS GOOD / TWO WHEELS BETTER reflective stickers if you want one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah the best way to protect your bike is to keep it inside and out of sight, and to not have a super desirable one in the first place.

like i will lock my bike up with a good kryptonite lock while doing errands etc but while i'm at work i bring it in. and forget about leaving it outside overnight

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lancemantis posted:

I just realized I should probably save some momentos from taking my daughter to sequoia/kings canyon this week the same way my parents used to

mementos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

which mountains?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

a mild part of the carpathians in romania

hah cool. I was thinking drat, that looks a lot like the time I went to Romania and stayed in the mountains. Whaddya know

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tons of my students prefer to use their laptop trackpad rather than a mouse in all the graphics software we use and it drives me loving insane

"You should really get a mouse"
"Oh I just got used to this haha"
"No, I'm serious, a mouse will make you like three or four times faster"
"I don't know I just don't like them and I'm really good with this and used to it now haha"

Then I demo something and whip through in 8 seconds with a mouse and shortcuts what would have taken them a minute or more and they're like "omg how did you do that so quickly"

Argh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i dream of someday buying a little tiny float plane and flying it up to any of the 100,000 tiny unspoiled lakes in northern quebec where no humans ever go and just existing in the real world

this is a random 40x40 mile chunk of land a few hours north of ottawa. infinite lakes, one road, no cities, no people

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 28, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i get that but idk, a little ultralight isn't especially loud and if all you do is come in and land and shut down it's not despoiling anything.

maybe in the future they will have electric motor-glider floatplanes so you can glide in silently like a bird and only make a few seconds of whirring when you leave a few days later

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh gee are y'all reading stymie's posts as if they're made in good faith again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Whatever you say, milky

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They are a poop elemental with a brain disease

Imagine them telling their grandchildren that they spent 17 years of their life consistently being a universally reviled scold on a dead internet forum for computer programmers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pick me up a TARDIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Was it an irukandji jellyfish? Cause apparently their venom has a weird psychological side effect where you get an extraordinarily powerful feeling of imminent death, to the point that people who have been stung literally beg the doctors to kill them and get it over with

It goes away after like a day but you have to put patients on suicide watch until it does lol