Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Everyone responsible for Mario & Rabbids should be fired (except for the marketing team)

I recently purchased this title and Im regretting the decision to go digital. I dont think Ive ever been as disappointed or confused at a Mario title before as I have this, and now I cant sell or return it.

The entire plot is non-sensical and seems to have been written based on the notes found on an interns napkin after a wine-filled lunch. Of course, all of the pointless story is told through unskippable cutscenes. [thanks intern]

Before I begin, I understand that the plots to Mario games are always super thin. There is a big trouble, Mario has to jump around and save the day. This works because the gameplay is the focus.

In Mario & Rabbids, some wonder kid in some weird universe creates a virtual helmet that shoots electric bolts out that somehow merge objects together. The Rabbids arrive in the home of said helmets inventor via a sort of interdimensional laundry machine and immediately start acting like assholes, running around like a bunch of coked up junior high kids. One of the Rabbids puts on the magic science helmet and goes ballistic shooting bolts of whatever at everything which leads to the Rabbids merging with the Mario world. Thats it. Thats the plot. Every other bit of exposition is used to tell you what to do. There is no story.

Going back to what I said about Mario and plots, I have to ask the question, why bother? All this added nonsense doesnt really add to the game and doesnt flow. This isnt a huge deal. I dont mind sitting through a few cringe-inducing cutscenes so long as the game is fun.

Theres fun to be had for sure, but it feels hard to find. The first obstacle in the way to enjoyment is the fact that you dont play Mario. You read that right, in a Mario title you actually do not play Mario, Luigi, or even Peach. You play as a loving vacuum cleaner. Excuse me a vacuum cleaner with ears. I guess its supposed to be some weird floating AI assistant which serves as your guide through the game.

Navigating the world is a pain. The maps feel like a throwback to the path-finding puzzles of yore. What was an obvious gameplay choice becomes frustration the moment you realize youre running around as Mario but without the ability to jump. You know, the one thing Mario is known for. Obviously, this is a decision made because of the gameplay style but it still feels like yet another example of failed vision and leadership.

Perhaps Im being a bit harsh. The Roomba is present to mostly move exposition along. The figurative meat and potatoes of the game still features Mario (where he can technically still jump). Its only the non-combat parts that are awful. Switch puzzles, block puzzles, and all the same gameplay weve seen in Zelda, Mario RPG, and so many games before pad out the rest of the time. Players are forced to walk around a linear 3D world-map to get from challenge to challenge while collecting coins and opening treasures. Doing things in order ensures completion. No real skill here.

Just a side note on those. There are a lot of collectables which seem to do nothing other than unlock concept art and low-res 3D character models you can look at. Thats right. If you already didnt get enough of that with Resident Evil 4, Ubisoft has brought back looking at digital action figures as a reward! Want to stare at a lovely un-aliased model of a Minion -err Rabbid wearing a skirt holding a Metroidesque blaster? Then weve found your game.

Which brings us to the main problem with Mario & Rabbids. Giving Mario characters anything outside of cartoon weapons feels weird and wrong. Its one watching Mario gleefully chucking over-sized, brightly colored turtle shells at a walking mushroom creatures. Its something else entirely the way hes portrayed here.

Also, and I know this is personal, but I hate Rabbids. They feel like another version of Minions which I also loathe. As a weak antagonistic force, sure they work. Theyre destructive and irritating and just want to make them go away. But do I want to partner up with said irritating creatures? No way. That said they seem to be more at place here than Mario does.

Take a look at any promotional material, any cut scene. The Nintendo characters arent their regular jolly selves. Mario has a look or determination on his face, Luigi looks like Action Hero Soldier. Yoshi looks like hes avenging his father.

In this image, all the Nintendo characters look ready to blast the faces off their enemies. Only the Rabbids look to be having fun.

This isnt normal and it feels gross.

In the end this is still a Nintendo game. Attempts are made to make it more family friendly. Weapons are Metroid style laser cannons or sometimes look like toys hobbled together. Everything is made to look very cartoony down to when you finally defeat an enemy. They simply de-res in a cloud of internet.

For me, the perversion of the source material lies in motivation. There is nothing going on here deeper than slapping a Mario faade on to an X-COM. And there is the disconnect. For those unfamiliar, X-COM is a tactical game about a paramilitary organization killing humanoid aliens. Part of what made it unique is permanent death of your players characters. It is difficult, dark, and violent. In other words, the perfect choice of gameplay for a family cartoon character

Perhaps some of this is coming from the perspective of living in America. Im fed up with gun violence. I dont want children to participate in violent fantasies. Seeing the Mario avatar portrayed in a manner such as this is simply mis-managed. What completely confounds me, is why this crossover? Nintendo could have kept the concept and brought in another angle. We already have Mario characters participating in Go-Kart battles, why not paintball style tournaments with a Splatoon theme?

Everyone responsible for Mario & Rabbids should be fired, except for the marketing team. While the base idea is great, this has been handled disappointingly. Mario is this generations Mickey. Hes known to be wholesome, fun, non-offensive. Putting him in this light doesnt work and feels forced, tacky, and ham-fisted.

I feel frustrated with the gameplay, I feel frustrated with the way Mario has been mis-handled, I feel frustrated to the point that I wrote all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
who is mario

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
first post

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
:ok:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Franais.
Mario had guns and was edgy before rabbids, OP

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

No. 6 posted:

Also, and I know this is personal, but I hate Rabbids. They feel like another version of Minions which I also loathe.

Uh, actually, the first Raving Rabbids game came out Nov 14 2006, while "Despicable Me" came out July 9, 2010. So if anything, Minions are another version of Rabbids.

I ask that you please fix the original post to reflect this, thank-you-very-much

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I don't care if the garbage goes to the curb before the recycling. They're both refuse to me.

Not An Arsonist
May 5, 2014

It was on fire when I got here
Rabbids are awful and should have never been brought into existence. What ever happened to Rayman himself?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Mario Brothers XCom sounds incredible?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The rabbids are a solid creation ripped off by despicable me and it's a crying shame

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The rabbis have their own kids show in france. and french kids, they don't gently caress around. They start fires and poo poo

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

its a watered down baby version. for example the allowed probabilities for an actions success are 0% 50% and 100%
for x-com stick to x-com

canned from the band
Sep 13, 2007

I'm a man of intensity. Of cool, and youth, and passionately

TheBizzness posted:

it is

op is dumb

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
nice meltdown

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
but the totally real customer reviews for every nintendo game that come out a week before the game is released always say every nintendo game is 10/10

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Arent Rabbids originally from the Rayman series?

Whose idea was it to put them in a Mario game?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pros:

The tactical movement options are pretty neat, you can use pipes to essentially teleport, you can chain jump off your own team to reach inaccessible spots and everyone has a form of moving melee. Every character plays very differently with their special abilities, weapon types subtypes for those weapons and melee movement options. Finding character synergies and utilizing them is key, plus Luigi in an elevated position is godless murder beast. After you beat an area you can play through challenge modes to get points to unlock additional upgrades for your characters and a lot of those challenge levels play more like a puzzle than tactical combat. It's an incredibly well animated game as well, characters are very expressive and there is a fast mode if you want to focus more on game play. A lot of the game felt like an innovative take on x-com's formula and I would recommend it.

Cons:

That being said there is very little reason to use Rabbid Peach in this game. The AI assistant is unlikable and unfunny and I didn't much care for most of the rabbid "jokes" in the game.

Summary: I like it when Luigi shoots rabbids in their horrid little faces. :kiddo:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That being said there is very little reason to use Rabbid Peach in this game.

She can heal 50% of the team's HP every 3 turns.

Anyway, game has an opera singing boss and all games with those are cool.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Imagine not liking Xcom with Mario

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Imagine not liking Xcom with Mario

Haven't played this but since it's a Nintendo game featuring Mario it's probably incredibly easy, which yeah would make XCOM boring.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nintendo games are for children.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
it's a fun game, who cares about "story"

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Rabbids own and Dreamworks ripped them off like a bitch. I don't know how Minions became so popular because Rabbids were doing "crazy screaming retards in amusing costumes" earlier/better.

I still have fond memories of those stupid Raving Rabbids mini games.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Labes for days posted:

Rabbids own and Dreamworks ripped them off like a bitch. I don't know how Minions became so popular because Rabbids were doing "crazy screaming retards in amusing costumes" earlier/better.

I still have fond memories of those stupid Raving Rabbids mini games.

Yeah that rabbids game for the Wii was loving great

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

glad she is dead posted:

She can heal 50% of the team's HP every 3 turns.

Anyway, game has an opera singing boss and all games with those are cool.

I'd rather heal with rabbid Luigi's vampire affliction or Peach's jump.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

steam lets you refund any game that you've played for less than 2 hours no questions asked. guess pcmasterrace wins again.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nintendo games are for children.

Which actually end up making them objectively better than the ones made for adults.

Bloodborne excluded of course.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

The rabbis have their own kids show in france.

mazel

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Im waiting to hear what putty has to say before forming my opinion here

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Stale Saltines posted:

steam lets you refund any game that you've played for less than 2 hours no questions asked. guess pcmasterrace wins again.

Truth

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i heard this game is better than it has any right to be

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Tbf the name sounds like bottom-tier wii shovelware, so that's not a high bar to clear

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

free hubcaps posted:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
It was better than Odyssey :shrug:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I didnt play it op I only play hyperdimension neptunia while jerking off into a sock

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
By sock I mean your dads butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

By sock I mean your dads butt

Categorically untrue as my father lost his rear end in the console wars.

• Locked thread