Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

i am not going to pay to see no star war ever again

I will pay to see Solo: A Spike Lee joint and if it's bad then I'll never pay to see another Star Wars movie again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Someone should do a prestige HBO type show about the making of the phantom menace. I bet it was fuckin nuts

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
is woody harrelson bald in the movie or no

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

naem posted:

I kinda hope we stop remaking stuff from the last century at some point ever

*evil genie appears, holds up the Marvel Cinematic Universe flowchart*

"Your wish is granted!"

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

redm posted:

is woody harrelson bald in the movie or no

He has an authentic wookie fur wig.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Someone should do a prestige HBO type show about the making of the phantom menace. I bet it was fuckin nuts

I'm the literal turkey they'll hire to depict george

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

basic hitler posted:

i seriously like adam driver's take on the emotionally stunted villain thing, and it's the only thing the new trilogy has going for it.

Rose is loving awful, what they're doing with finn is loving awful. PORG poo poo is loving awful. What they did to Luke was loving lazy and dirty and Mark Hamill knows it as much as anyone else.

the force awakens kinda had to be a boring re-establishing setup, the followup could have been so much better.

But no, actually it turns out Rogue One is the only tolerable thing they've done with star wars so far, and the placement of the story inside existing continuity and making it about the death star and literally ending it seconds before ANH was so loving stupid!!!!!

the han solo movie might carry the tradition of the side-story being better than the main trilogy. i hope so. i like star wars' and if TLJ is an indication of what disney ultimately wants out of star wars, well things are gonna get dire.

Well said Sir.

So many things done wrong in TLJ, so many things felt forced and unnatural.
I, too, like Driver's take on Kylo, but it just couldn't blossom among all the lovely things done in TLJ.

I also enjoyed his monologue with Vader's helmet in TFW. Far from perfect, but compared to all the
poo poo we got fed in TLJ, one of the good moments in the new movies. His take on Kylo tries to make
the movie more atmospheric, which is a good thing in my book, but fails mostly because of the constant
failed attempts at humor (in TLJ) and all the rest of the lovely things done in TLJ.

I mean, you see something that gets your hopes up and you think: "maybe something good is coming next"
and then you see Leia flying like Superman and you go like... "no".... "just no". It's not just the fact that the idea
was totally idiotic, it was also directed and performed bad. From the pose of her body, to the obvious and
unwanted similarities to loving Superman, to all the poo poo that both are and seem wrong about that whole thing.

Even Yoda seemed stranger to me in TLJ. Too much maniac laughter if you ask me.
To me he seemed more like a goon I'd meat in FYAD and less like a force ghost of a Jedi Master.

So, with all these said, which are not nearly enough, I can't see how the new Solo movie can be worse than TLJ. Truth is it can't.

/rant off

jerk irl fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 30, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I liked yoda a lot they should have more of him

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

naem posted:

Why does John boyega wake up and immediately try to run away and steal a ship from his friends?

He wants to find Rey and warn her of what's going on before she comes back and gets blowed up with everyone else. Finn's sense of self at the beginning of the movie is entirely defined by his friendship with Rey. Then he goes to space Monaco and gets woke and now he's in the Resistance for himself, not just because he tagged along with Rey. His arc is stupid, but it's very straightforward and spelled out.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 30, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The only way i am going to watch another star war film is if Disney animates it Don Bluth style. That would kick rear end.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Is there a reason why star war universe cant have a story about just some dude doing something that isnt connected to the plots of previous movies? Other than because it sucks.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Skeleton King posted:

Is there a reason why star war universe cant have a story about just some dude doing something that isnt connected to the plots of previous movies? Other than because it sucks.

Supposedly the upcoming RJ/D&D trilogies are supposed to be largely unconnected to anybody we've met before, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Last Jedi was bad. My little sister and I had a good wtf chuckle when Leias eyes opened and she zoomed triumphantly back into the plot.

And again later in the car when we picked over Laura Derns dumb plan that got most everyone killed, which would have gotten everyone killed had Rey not showed up with five minutes left in the movie.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Applewhite posted:

I will pay to see Solo: A Spike Lee joint and if it's bad then I'll never pay to see another Star Wars movie again.

i see a free star war, no disney get cash

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'll go see this because I'm a pitiful loving consumerist whore.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I stole LJ and watched it on a plane

gently caress UUUUU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
TLJ was pretty awkward and somehow made the resistance make even less sense than it did in TFA. That said, everything with Kylo, Luke, and Rey was better than anything in TFA :shrug:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Seaniqua posted:

TLJ was pretty awkward and somehow made the resistance make even less sense than it did in TFA. That said, everything with Kylo, Luke, and Rey was better than anything in TFA :shrug:

yeah. i liked the movie for the some of its parts but holy gently caress are the resistance parts weird and awkward. it makes the galaxy feel way to big and way too small all at the same time.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

My favorite part was watching rey upset the little local people

It was great watching her hit jedi puberty

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seaniqua posted:

The Last Jedi is like a Joey Gallo/Adam Dunn type that strikes out a near-unacceptable percentage of the time but also connects for some monster dongs, whereas The Force Awakens is basically David Eckstein just slapping a bunch of cheap singles.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

jerk irl posted:

Even Yoda seemed stranger to me in TLJ. Too much maniac laughter if you ask me.
To me he seemed more like a goon I'd meat in FYAD and less like a force ghost of a Jedi Master.

I think it was RLM who pointed out that Yoda in TLJ acts more like the persona he put on to test Luke's patience in ESB than the person he actually was.

General Dog posted:

Supposedly the upcoming RJ/D&D trilogies are supposed to be largely unconnected to anybody we've met before, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I still think they're going to be Prequels 2.0.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

whats RJ/D&D?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

whats RJ/D&D?

ricotta jelly/debate and discussion, two sub forums here on sa

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i would like to find this ricotta jelly subforum

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The best thing about TLJ was the popcorn.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

WatermelonGun posted:

If you watch rlm you’re not just part of the problem

You are the problem

then call me a problem child, bitch

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

whats RJ/D&D?

?/Dan Weiss and David Benioff

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Tolkien minority posted:

I’d watch woody harrelson like, ordering off a drive through menu let alone doing cool poo poo in space

I wasn't interested in this movie until I saw woody was in it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I liked TLJ but this movie looks kinda dumb

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I really can't wait to not watch this movie.

I'm looking forward to doing many other potential things instead.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Statutory Ape posted:

whats RJ/D&D?

Ron Jeremy?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like how they gave Finn a new love interest I guess because the director didn't like the idea of a black man getting with a white woman

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I paid to see star wars and they only showed one star war.

Like a dummy I paid again and it was the same star war.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I paid to see star wars and they only showed one star war.

Like a dummy I paid again and it was the same star war.

It's funny 'cause it's true.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I didn't hate tlj but I didn't think it was very good either.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do you think they'll make a reference to that wii dancing game

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Why did George sell Star Wars to the “white slavers” at Disney anyways? It wasn’t for the money, that all went to charity iirc. Why not just keep the franchise in his pocket and let it die with him? The only possible outcome is exactly what happened: the first new film completely obliterates the prequels in terms of quality, relegating them to the trash heap, and then the Disney machine churns our films twice a year until Star Wars becomes diluted and common. I don’t see how he came out ahead in any way

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I don’t see how he came out ahead in any way

i think he probably appreciates that millions of people have a genuine love of the stories and franchise and ultimately likes the idea of new generations of families enjoying the poo poo together

maybe he did it so he could donate more money to charity

who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CharlestonJew posted:

I like how they gave Finn a new love interest I guess because the director didn't like the idea of a black man getting with a white woman

I think he was pissed that he was told to do stuff to appeal to China, so he did the thing that China would hate the most.

• Locked thread