Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Apparently the Wichita side got robbed during the match against NTX Rayados. Like, their stuff got stolen in a literal way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Apparently the Wichita side got robbed during the match against NTX Rayados. Like, their stuff got stolen in a literal way.

As a former Wichita resident, this must have made them feel right at home

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Interesting article on the financial burdens on amateur/small clubs participating in the US Open Cup, mostly due to the travel costs:

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/24/10000-flights-and-personal-credit-how-the-us-open-cup-cripples-smaller-clubs

$10,000 flights and personal credit: How the US Open Cup cripples smaller clubs

Smaller teams dream of taking on an MLS club in the US Open Cup. But that dream can come at a steep cost

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, what are you going to do? You're going to have to convince people like my father that non-league games exist and not make their heads spin to get the U.S. Open Cup to anywhere near the stature of an MLS regular season game.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

I mean, what are you going to do? You're going to have to convince people like my father that non-league games exist and not make their heads spin to get the U.S. Open Cup to anywhere near the stature of an MLS regular season game.

[ Edit: sorry for the effortpost :unsmith: ]

With respect, that's not really true at all (in the long view). Us old geezers aren't going to be around in another 20-30 years (speaking only for myself of course; I'm probably older than most of you); it's the young fans today who you have to convince, and most of them are quite familiar with how soccer is run in Europe and Latin America.

As it stands now the US Open Cup is the red headed stepchild of the USSF and MLS. The rest of USSF has been professionalized over the past 20-30 years, but the US Open Cup itself is still run as though we were still in the 1950s - i.e. an amateur/semi-pro competition (and mindset for same) that is only of interest to a tiny subset of the population. The only thing different today is that the competition is dominated by MLS teams whereas formerly it was dominated by old style ethnic soccer clubs.

USSF/MLS could actually do a lot more to make the US Open Cup mean something: include US Open Cup home games in the MLS Season Ticket packages; have MLS teams play their US Open Cup home games in their regular MLS stadiums and not in some tiny high school field in the middle of nowhere; get some corporate sponsorships to actually put some money into the competition (which could help defray travel costs, and fund prize money); etc.

It wouldn't hurt if they actually brought back the original Dewar Cup (or rather replicas of same, as the original has been retired), either. What's the use of noting how old the competition is (the third oldest trophy in North American team sports, after the Stanley Cup and the Grey Cup) when USFA/USSFA/USSF keeps changing the name of the competition and the trophy (National Challenge Cup, Lamar Hunt US Open Cup) and now even the original trophy (or replicas of same) is no longer in use?

The Stanley Cup and the Grey Cup are two classic examples of iconic original trophies still in use; the World Series and Super Bowl trophies are much more recent in origin, but are still iconic and recognizable. The current US Open Cup (Lamar Hunt) trophy isn't iconic and isn't recognizable, and USSF should go back to the original Dewar Cup, and make its image and its age part of its marketing strategy for the competition.

If the competition was marketed under the name and image of the Dewar Cup, it would also be a lot more marketable and recognizable and unique; when people hear "US Open" Cup, they think golf, not soccer, and this is another example of the complete cluster-f_ck that is USSF marketing/branding/thinking/organizing of the competition.

USSF doesn't appear to have an actual marketing strategy for the US Open Cup, and that's a big part of the problem.

The other part of the problem is that USSF doesn't appear capable of thinking 20-30 years into the future.

I'm not saying the US Open Cup can be suddenly made more popular and relevant today; I am saying it could be made so in another 20-30 years, if USSF and MLS made the effort.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 29, 2018

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Fourth Round begins tomorrow. Remember: there's a Round of 16 draw on Thursday, so don't get too comfortable.

Philadelphia Union vs. Richmond Kickers
Louisville City vs. New England Revolution
D.C. Untied vs. North Carolina
Columbus Crew vs. Chicago Fire
Red Bull New York vs. New York City
Miami United vs. Orlando City
Atlanta United vs. Charleston Battery
Cincinnati vs. Minnesota United
Nashville vs. Colorado Rapids
Houston Dynamo vs. NTX Rayados
San Antonio vs. Dallas
Real Salt Lake vs. Sporting Kansas City
LAFC vs. Fresno
Los Angeles Galaxy vs. Golden State Force
Portland Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes
Sacramento Republic vs. Seattle Sounders

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I hope all the MLS teams lose in embarrassing fashion

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

camoseven posted:

I hope all the MLS teams lose in embarrassing fashion

This is a statistical impossibility given the regionality of the US Open Cup.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Anyone who bought a season ticket has a free entry to tonight’s Cup match at the SoccerPlex. So since tons of people can’t go or are feeling aggrieved, there’s a flood of free tickets going around.

Free soccer for me? Free soccer for me. Go North Carolina, probably.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Going to the FC Cincinnati game tomorrow, I hate these week day matches.... Our attendance trophy is going to take a hit as the bailey still isn't sold out.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

First ever amateur game in the Canadian Championship is tomorrow, between AS Blainville, 2017 PSLQ Champions, and the Oakville Blue Devils, 2017 League1 Ontario Champions. Both teams are at or near the top of their respective leagues at the moment, so it should be a pretty decent representation of amateur soccer in Canada. (so, awful and probably not even streamed)

Might actually go check out the return leg, as it's only an hour by transit from my house.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Watching New England Revolution at Louisville City on live stream; national challenge cup footy in a baseball stadium with passing freight trains yards away from the touchline.

Better crowd and atmosphere than the Revs can get for a weeknight game, too. I'm sure the smaller venue helps.

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
U of Louisville has a real nice stadium. Real grass, correct dimensions, freight rail tracks adjacent and parallel to the field. everything im looking for in a lower league stadium tbh

e. a train went by and honked at the game hell yea

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
loving siiiick goal

NE do not look up for it any more

https://twitter.com/destaquito2/status/1004159030305148928?s=21

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 6, 2018

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Not a great night for the MLS in the cup

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

gtkor posted:

Not a great night for the MLS in the cup

The Revs and DC are awful, not sure what the surprise is there.

Philly being up 5-0 is the real surprise.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Agreed but it isn't like North Carolina is any good in the USL either. Louisville probably always had a real shot at NE at home, they are a pretty good side.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Lmao Louisville’s right wing had to pay $90 to try out for the team and is actually an accountant.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Solid effort by US Soccer to have their stream die going into the 2nd half of extra time between DC and NC.

Stream came back in time for Pens.

gtkor fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 6, 2018

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Welp.

Both of my teams, the Rowdies and the Revs, crash out of the US Open Cup in their first matches.

Again.

:suicide:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC/NC was downright funereal. DC dressed lots of bench players (including three guys on loan from Richmond to cup-tie them, like assholes), and still needed penalty kicks to take down a USL squad at "home."

They are a joyless team, and they're making a joyless supporter of me.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Your Boy Fancy posted:

DC/NC was downright funereal. DC dressed lots of bench players (including three guys on loan from Richmond to cup-tie them, like assholes), and still needed penalty kicks to take down a USL squad at "home."

They are a joyless team, and they're making a joyless supporter of me.

This will be me tomorrow, except we're going to lose.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Azerban posted:

it should be a pretty decent representation of amateur soccer in Canada. (so, awful and probably not even streamed)

Pleasantly surprised that I was wrong about precisely and exactly one half of this.

https://mycujoo.tv/video/canada-soccer, 7:30 ET.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
That’s the trash streaming service that the Open Cup has been using. How loving hard is it to just stream on YouTube so people can actually watch it?!

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Sounders so bogged down by injuries, they've signed 6 S2 players for tonight.

https://twitter.com/SoundersFC/status/1004415474963079168

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Azerban posted:

Pleasantly surprised that I was wrong about precisely and exactly one half of this.

https://mycujoo.tv/video/canada-soccer, 7:30 ET.

I'll be watching. Here's some cool facts about AS Blainville:

- Nafi Dicko-Raynault, team captain, works as an engineer for Bell Helicopter.
- Star forward Pierre-Rudolphe Mayard leads the PLSQ in goals. He played for the Impact in their USL days. He now owns a landscaping company.
- The team website hasn't been updated since 2015.

That's all I got.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

JayMax posted:

I'll be watching. Here's some cool facts about AS Blainville:

- Nafi Dicko-Raynault, team captain, works as an engineer for Bell Helicopter.
- Star forward Pierre-Rudolphe Mayard leads the PLSQ in goals. He played for the Impact in their USL days. He now owns a landscaping company.
- The team website hasn't been updated since 2015.

That's all I got.

More than I got on Oakville.

This camera angle tho.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Azerban posted:

This camera angle tho.

It's like we're right there with them in the dugout.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

blainville ultras just smoked the field out so bad they paused play

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Those sure were some flares!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Columbus Chicago has been pretty ok but I really don’t want it to go to penalties (it will go to penalties).

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Katai owns, Niko owns please buy more Eastern Europeans

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

blainville scored in extra time and the fence collapsed and now they're on the field, this owns

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

paddyboat posted:

(it will go to penalties).

goalie penalties, even :getin:

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 7, 2018

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Some head games by the Chicago keeper there.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

It's me, I'm the idiot who's going to watch Sounders "2" lose to Sacramento Republic.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

whypick1 posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot who's going to watch Sounders "2" lose to Sacramento Republic.

I'll have it on!

In the background as T2 beats SJ2!

Edit* but first, the second shootout I've tuned into tonight.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NYCFC, still poo poo.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Went to a bar to watch RSL-SKC with local supporters group.
The head of the group was gonna HDMI his laptop to the main TV.
He can't get his laptop to work.
There's just 30 of us watching on cell phones. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well, so much for Colorado salvaging something out of this year with a Cinderella USOC trophy run a la '13 DC United.

• Locked thread