Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My wife has this IKEA clock that is very dear to her heart. As with all things good from IKEA, it's discontinued.

Problem is, it's no longer working. My guess is that IKEA didn't make their own movement. On the back it says:

(Yeah, someone left a battery in there for too long too.)

I decipher this as DM-8810-1 SHONTEX but googling doesn't lead me to a conclusive replacement.

Short story long: which movement do I buy to fix this clock? Bonus points for something quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
look at the back of some ikea clocks in the store and see if any are the same

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That's a devillishly clever idea! Thanks! (Apart from the part where you've just sent me to IKEA.)

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Or try cleaning those battery holding terminals with a metal brush. There might be so much crap on them that they can't conduct electricity properly. Don't have to go to Ikea for that one.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Also very good input, think I'll try that first!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Also check out craft stores. Many sell a "make your own clock" quartz movement and I'm pretty sure "wall clock quartz movements" are mostly the same size. You could probably swap out the movement without too much difficulty.

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010

Domus posted:

Or try cleaning those battery holding terminals with a metal brush. There might be so much crap on them that they can't conduct electricity properly. Don't have to go to Ikea for that one.

Make a paste from baking soda and water and use it to scrub the contacts. It should clean up pretty well and may then be usable.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
There seems to be plenty of similar ones on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quartz-Clock-Movement-Mechanism-Repair/dp/B00F3SIH7M/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_cp_0_1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I tried to clean the contacts and plop in a brand new battery - no dice.

• Locked thread