Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just do what I did and buy a fan with a remote, 100 bux at Home Depot for a white LED fan with remote they are awesome, and you just put the remote on the wall where the switch would be.

I got one of these for an existing ceiling fan with single wall switch. Gives easy control of the light (and can also dim it) and fan speeds, without messing around with pull chains or replacing an existing fan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZUXSYC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

I just figured it was unsafe to have hot wires running constantly into a fan/light combo. They are the only light sources. Outlets are switched, but not the fans/lights.

Edit: which as enourmo points out is indeed against code.

It's likely that the overhead light was added later... Why someone would bother to do that and not at least pull off the switch is really weird. I just had to go through that in my wife's old house with a terrible attic last week. Like, could only lay flat across the joists and crawl face in the insulation to get over there to the former living room with the switched outlets. I dunno if her ex husband added the light or who, but they made a bunch of unnecessary flying splices too. :mad:

Seminal Flu posted:

Just get a pair of disposable latex/nitrile/whatever gloves and problem solved.

I always get pissed off when I get shocked by that stupid stuff, but a pair of gloves from the garage and boom -- no more worries. Just don't hit anything against the bare grounds, 'cause that poo poo'll still pop the breaker.

Getting shocked isn't a big concern...I mean it is for most people but my worry is a fault on a failed or oversized breaker. Suddenly you have a heat coil running through your walls, and best case scenario the wire fails before it catches something on fire.

Actually i went on a house fire today where some receptacles were tied into the electric stove circuit....

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

angryrobots posted:

It's likely that the overhead light was added later... Why someone would bother to do that and not at least pull off the switch is really weird. I just had to go through that in my wife's old house with a terrible attic last week. Like, could only lay flat across the joists and crawl face in the insulation to get over there to the former living room with the switched outlets. I dunno if her ex husband added the light or who, but they made a bunch of unnecessary flying splices too. :mad:

Getting shocked isn't a big concern...I mean it is for most people but my worry is a fault on a failed or oversized breaker. Suddenly you have a heat coil running through your walls, and best case scenario the wire fails before it catches something on fire.

Actually i went on a house fire today where some receptacles were tied into the electric stove circuit....

Yeah, it's just weird poo poo. But that goes hand in hand with the rest of the place.

Also, is it weird to cut drywall and insulate the back of it to put over attic entrances? House has 2, both covered with paper thin board that just loving radiates heat into the rooms (bathroom and a closet). My only idea was to cut the drywall to fit, and add some sort of sticky insulation to the back just to cut down on thermal losses.

Edit: speaking of dumb electrical, I know a guy who wired his garage for 220 for a welder, and another outlet for a compressor.

Except instead of doing it correctly, he piggy backed both off the dryer outlet and just added a giant fuse. Can't wait for that fire.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Can't wait for that fire.

Hey, iwentdoodie, did you ever get that platinum voucher working?

Tried a dab of Dave's Insanity Sauce - bought a bottle for my team lead who's a bit of a chili head and complains that the cafeteria sambal oelek is too weak. Hot, but not all that flavorful. I'll stick to the Hurtin' Habanero for now. Did a good job of clearing my stuffy nose though!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Every drat month I wonder why no one's posted in the chat thread for a while before I realize what's going on

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I always forget about the new thread so I wander AI aimlessly on the first day of the month before my head tells me "Holy poo poo, a new thread without a reply counter! Oh, it's a new month."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I usually just monitor my sub'd threads through the control panel so I'm always late to the party. But in a cool way.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Larrymer posted:

I usually just monitor my sub'd threads through the control panel so I'm always late to the party. But in a cool way.
Same. There's always a link at the end of the old thread, I just have to remember to post in the new one when it showed up so it gets bookmarked.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ilkhan posted:

Same. There's always a link at the end of the old thread, I just have to remember to post in the new one when it showed up so it gets bookmarked.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What the gently caress, VW? I just did some work on my brother's '08 GTI. Stupid-simple maintenance stuff like brake rotors are made unnecessarily cumbersome because of splined drive bolts holding the caliper brackets on -- plus, the bolts are put in such a way that there is no way to get any swing at all with a ratchet, since it's in the middle of all the suspension components. :wtc:

On top of that, I was chasing a rear wheel bearing. He had the driver's side replaced last year at the dealer when they also replaced the dust shield on the driver's side. So, wheel bearing went bad and I immediately started tearing down the passenger rear... which ended up completely fine.

Took at look at the driver's side, and that bearing was totally shot. You know, the bearing that they replaced last year? Well, they didn't replace the fucker. It was obviously the original part that they removed and put back on instead of replacing last year. Mother fuckers.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ilkhan posted:

e:fb

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

iwentdoodie posted:

Edit: speaking of dumb electrical, I know a guy who wired his garage for 220 for a welder, and another outlet for a compressor.

Except instead of doing it correctly, he piggy backed both off the dryer outlet and just added a giant fuse. Can't wait for that fire.

Eh, my stepdad did the same thing in my house. Didn't put a big fuse in it, just knew to only use 1 outlet at a time. It was setup like that for as long as I can remember without any issue. When I had a new panel put in as part of the remodel I did when I bought the house, the electricians were surprisingly not too concerned about it. Granted they definitely unhooked the 220 outlet in the shop. At least now I have a 200amp service*, so if I decide I need 220 in the garage/shop, I can put in a properly fused one. And the new panel is in the garage, so that will make it easier if I ever decide to go that route.

*it was 60amp before, and old enough that the wire going to the meter was wrapped in cloth and on the back of the house. The electricians were all pretty amazed that we still had that old of a setup and the city hadn't made us move it yet. The majority of the house is still knob and tube, but at least the old panel wasn't a stab lock!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BraveUlysses posted:

oh yeah i'm well aware of that but between the hackers who almost always seem to prefer TPP and the unfair advantage that gives to campers, it's definitely the worst way to play PUBG

I play on Xbone, so no hackers, which is nice, but development and goodies are way behind the Windows version. For instance, the ridiculous outfit Ether Frenzy pictured is not available that I've seen, and we have to play on the test server currently to get the desert map.

Powershift posted:

It looks like they're $100 cheaper on rockauto.

Alternatively, aren't you studying engineering? engineer up some JB weld.

Probably $200 cheaper at a wrecking yard. Lots of dead cop cars/GranMas/Town Cars in my local yards.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Dammit. Put a load of stuff on eBay last week to help pay for house stuff and make space. It all finished today and much of it sold - making me some decent money...

Until eBay totally cancelled most of the finished auctions due to ‘suspicious bidding activity’ from a user who ‘is not a registered user’ and has zero feedback. Thanks eBay you dicks, you could have just cancelled his bids and left the others on there. I thought I also had all the rules setup to avoid this happening too :(

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tomarse posted:

Dammit. Put a load of stuff on eBay last week to help pay for house stuff and make space. It all finished today and much of it sold - making me some decent money...

Until eBay totally cancelled most of the finished auctions due to ‘suspicious bidding activity’ from a user who ‘is not a registered user’ and has zero feedback. Thanks eBay you dicks, you could have just cancelled his bids and left the others on there. I thought I also had all the rules setup to avoid this happening too :(

I have at least a thousand bucks worth of busted laptops and other ephemera here in my shop I need to eBay immediately and I just keep procrastinating because of crap like this

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

What the gently caress, VW? I just did some work on my brother's '08 GTI. Stupid-simple maintenance stuff like brake rotors are made unnecessarily cumbersome because of splined drive bolts holding the caliper brackets on -- plus, the bolts are put in such a way that there is no way to get any swing at all with a ratchet, since it's in the middle of all the suspension components. :wtc:
I agree on issues with poo poo access, but those XZN 12 pts are one of the more reliable internal wrenching configurations.

gently caress internal hexes. gently caress them in their stupid chewed-up six-sided rear end holes.

Tomarse posted:

They really are bad for this stuff. Also, enjoy being treated like a criminal should anyone want to come and look at something before bidding. You're trying to sell it outside eBay, aren't you? Scum.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've got a bunch of old stuff is like to get rid of too, but gently caress eBay.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

I agree on issues with poo poo access, but those XZN 12 pts are one of the more reliable internal wrenching configurations.

I understand their use for some things (on the same job, I needed to use a 18mm splined for the axle bolt that was tighter than gently caress, and reasonably so), but for the stupid caliper brackets? That's just put in place so that Joe Consumer is discouraged from changing his own brakes. In that position, a regular hex head bolt would have been fine, plus there was a ton of side access, so a wrench could have swung freely and cut the time for the job in half. :mad:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh man, mid April I sold a set of wheels and the buyer wanted to cancel the next day, thankfully before it shipped out of the city.

Pain in the rear end but manageable. I request to cancel the transacting citing buyers request as the reason, I initiate a refund, and PayPal decides they're going to refund the buyer $0.30 more than they paid. I use a separate account for PayPal as a dmz thing to avoid their shenanigans loving with my day to day accounts. So that fails. I transfer a few more cents into the account to cover the mismatch and refund, works this time. All is well right?

No. Now I'm waiting on the stupid accidental buyer to confirm that they want to cancel the transaction but they're very unresponsive. Not a peep from them. They've got another week to confirm before :shrug: the info on eBay doesn't really explain what happens.

I guess I'll be contacting eBay after they fail to confirm anything and point to their initial messages requesting the cancel as proof.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm aware. It's easier to :justpost:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Video game hot take: Beyond Two Souls blows goats

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

everdave posted:

I have at least a thousand bucks worth of busted laptops and other ephemera here in my shop I need to eBay immediately and I just keep procrastinating because of crap like this

Got anything weird or super old?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ilkhan posted:

I'm aware. It's easier to :justpost:
But its not! Click button!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Got anything weird or super old?

I have this in absolute mint condition (about 15 years old, needs a hard drive):

And I see this in nice weather here weekly at the chamber of commerce meeting but I snapped a pic today:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just got verbally assaulted at the gas station over how my cars NEEDS MORE LOW BRO.

gently caress off you stupid child, it already rides like poo poo, why would I make it worse?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, it's just weird poo poo. But that goes hand in hand with the rest of the place.

It could always be worse.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 2, 2018

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The image is so big I just saw the first two splices and thought it was bad enough, but it just kept going.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, is it weird to cut drywall and insulate the back of it to put over attic entrances? House has 2, both covered with paper thin board that just loving radiates heat into the rooms (bathroom and a closet). My only idea was to cut the drywall to fit, and add some sort of sticky insulation to the back just to cut down on thermal losses.

I've lived in several houses like had exactly that. I've seen them with insulation added to the back, it just makes it a little more difficult to push the cover out of the way (since the opening is usually framed in).

Even the houses I've been in with pull-down stairs didn't have them insulated.

angryrobots posted:

So that's how they make replacement Lucas smoke.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

opengl128 posted:

The image is so big I just saw the first two splices and thought it was bad enough, but it just kept going.

I had that exact same thought.

"Oh, that's bad."

"Oh god..."

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

TotallyCode.jpg

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
NEW

loving

BIKE

DAY

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Found a video on how to disassemble one of my reels and went a tad overboard with the lucas reel oil. The annoying hitch it had developed after okeechobee is gone and I got to swap the reel to a different rod to make my setups a bit more sensible. Brute force with brute force, finesse with finesse. :toot:

Gonna drag it out to a local lake next week and see that I can do with it. Despite living 25 minutes from the lake (which is really just a fat section of river tbh), I've never been out there and always opted to go saltwater since thats a 15 minute drive. I am excite.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

NEW

loving

BIKE

DAY

What is it? I am thinking of buying a new bicycle for the first time in my life (rather than just picking up half-wrecked used bikes from the "scrap" pile at the bike swap meets) and don't know what I am doing at all.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

NEW

loving

BIKE

DAY

Bikesdirect.com is a legit deal for those getting into bikes. MUCH higher equipment level than others at a comparable price. Nicely done.

angryrobots posted:

Boxes are for worried pussies.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What is it? I am thinking of buying a new bicycle for the first time in my life (rather than just picking up half-wrecked used bikes from the "scrap" pile at the bike swap meets) and don't know what I am doing at all.

This one is a Mercier Galaxy AL SC1, bought it for $219 on bikesdirect.com. A lot of their poo poo is overpriced (two years ago they sold this bike itself, with smooth pedals, for $380), but a lot of it is also an amazing deal. Actual Shimano stuff instead of knockoffs, etc. There are a few things that were bad about it, like the stock brake pads (get some replacements, literally anything is better than what they give you) and I'm truing the front wheel right now, a few spokes weren't tensioned all the way. The bar tape was also bad foam, hence the replacement stuff.

But, for less than $300 all said and done, I'm happy with it. Came in at under 25 pounds, too (low as my scale goes), which is pretty great for the price. Time to double that weight with two kryptonite U-locks and gatorskin tires :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

NEW

loving

BIKE

DAY

New bike day, almost best kind of day, only beaten by new kitten day.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

To improve my day even more after ebay messed me about I got into my car tonight after 3 hours of train journey and went to move the gearstick and heard a crunch followed by some rattles.

From my preliminary inspection in the dark it looks like the linkage is all made of plastic and I think that the section that does the reverse lock has snapped off. All the gears appear to work but finding 5th is now extra fun as there is no stop before it moves horizontally past 5th and into reverse and you can get reverse without using the detent button.

InitialDave - how good are you on MK4 Panda gear linkages...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NEW

loving

BIKE

DAY

Nice, I've gotten a Windsor from BD before and I'm getting ready to grab a single speed Gravity 27.5 and convert it to an 8 speed Nexus I can't wait. They really have great deals, and the components you don't like you just swap out over time instead of having to fork out a bunch of money all at once. I already have a new stem and bars I'm gonna put on it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

angryrobots posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What is almost certainly a simple stunt by some student Engineers, police and politicians are "puzzled" and THANK GOD NOBODY GOT HURT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/dangling-car-movie-shoot-1.4644468

quote:

"These are things that come to mind," said Kwong, who suggested it would have taken an engineer to know the strength of the cable and how it would fare holding the weight of the car.
:rolleyes:

• Locked thread