Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
So taking a question on notice is the Australian political version of “taking the fifth”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

Australia tax

gently caress this obnoxious whirlpool poo poo

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

So taking a question on notice is the Australian political version of “taking the fifth”?

It just means the Dept has to provide a response to the committee later on.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Some brands clearly take us to town. Cheaper to import.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Only half the questions the Department of Jobs and Small Business took on notice from the last round of estimates were answered by the due date April 20th, with some not returned until the day before this round. I don't know what the late questions were. How common is this?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Some brands clearly take us to town. Cheaper to import.

JBP posted:

Yet another example of Australia being a pissant nothing country that means less than poo poo in the scheme of things.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I loving hate Jeff Bezo and I hope in retaliation, the Australian government makes it so GST is only charged on purchases from Amazon.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Bezos is terrified of losing the lucrative Australian market.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Good thing we're cutting corporate taxes or companies like amazon might pull out of... oh.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i thought the greens image would have the famous a wyatt mann caricature but i’ve literally never seen that picture and i’m pretty terminally internet poisoned. :shrug:

also joe bullock has left the labor party and joined the libs. good loving riddance.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

i thought the greens image would have the famous a wyatt mann caricature but i’ve literally never seen that picture and i’m pretty terminally internet poisoned. :shrug:

also joe bullock has left the labor party and joined the libs. good loving riddance.

He quit as an MP when Labor stopped binding on gay marriage, hilarious. What a loving piece of poo poo. Clearly a committed unionist there.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol joe bullock finally realised he wasnt a labor person after all

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Also not being able to buy from amazon us is going to have more cut through with boomers than any labor policy ever could

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

I studied German history for a while and I had a very specific imagery in mind of what I thought had been posted. This is nothing like that, I wouldn't even call that a hook nose. I think someone just confused banker with jew and jumped the gun.

Honestly, Bandt should just come out and say 'this doesn't look anything like a Jewish charicature'. He's already got the mustard out of the jar, he isn't getting it back in now.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Doesn’t Amazon already apply sales tax to US states separately? What’s the big deal if they apply GST when the shipping address is Australian?

Amazon are already remitting GST to the ATO from their Australian entity.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Welp Guardian Liveblog has officially melted down

quote:

Oh wow this is dire today. Absolutely dire.

I am beginning to understand how this country was defeated by emus.

Re the Amazon thing, they would be profit-taking via internal "importing" anyway so this move simply enforces their multi-market advantage.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
The major difference is that American sales tax is applied at the end of the transaction, not required to be part of an advertised MSRP or RRP. The prices in Australia must be after GST.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Ah that’s a good point.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

School chaplain allegedly told anorexic student she was 'hungering for the word of God'

:laffo:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

bandaid.friend posted:

Only half the questions the Department of Jobs and Small Business took on notice from the last round of estimates were answered by the due date April 20th, with some not returned until the day before this round. I don't know what the late questions were. How common is this?
Somewhat common but it opens the door to a censure motion. In the current senate that would be couragious.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
“hey party I’m not in, vote in the senate the way you said you will” what a pointless thing to post like my history

this morning I saw a group blaming Jenny Leong for not stopping westconnex, burn down Sussex St imo

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Bezos commitment to not paying any tax ever is still impressive.

Also you shouldn't support amazon because their working conditions are bad, even for the US.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

not answering questions on notice is a Very Bad Look for the department in question but when push comes to shove there’s not that much that can be done about it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

an AU based amazon job had a requirement 'must be capable of standing for 10-12 hours at a time'

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Auspol June: I will take that question on notice and provide it to the relevant Senate committee

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Turnbull government has pulled a bill applying more regulation to the live sheep trade after the Liberal MP Sussan Leysignalled she would vote for a Labor amendment applying a ban on exports.

The government was due to bring forward its legislation applying tougher regulations to the scandal-prone industry, but yanked the bill on Thursday morning after Ley signalled to government colleagues she would cross the floor.

That cow footage is :discourse: timing

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

So, he was arrested for owning one of these stupid loving things you see in endless youtube fail videos:

drunkill posted:

She looked familiar today...

Yep, thats it.

:mensch:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

The Before Times posted:

It just means the Dept has to provide a response to the committee later on.

Yeah, I was just implying that I got the impression that she trotted that line out every time she didn’t want to answer a question (so for all of them). As the questioner pointed out she wouldn’t even answer the question about if the police had interviewed her. It’s not like that was some obscure detail that she would need to look up first.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Yeah, I was just implying that I got the impression that she trotted that line out every time she didn’t want to answer a question (so for all of them). As the questioner pointed out she wouldn’t even answer the question about if the police had interviewed her. It’s not like that was some obscure detail that she would need to look up first.

Watt asked her a question, got "I'll take it on notice", turned to Cash's secretary, asked them the same question, got an answer. She was absolutely stonewalling on every question because she can, and because she wanted to.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Senator Cameron's questions were often answered with "that's a matter before the courts" and similar. He and the other Labor senators thought that wasn't a good enough reason not to answer, especially as Liberal senators got answers regarding the courts and the CFMMEU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-31/sydney-asbestos-dumper-jailed-and-has-to-buy-newspaper-ads/9820842

quote:

Sydney's most notorious waste dumper has been sentenced to three years jail for his crimes and will be made to pay for newspaper ads publicising his punishment.

The court heard Hanna advertised free clean top soil, clay, crushed bitumen and the use of an excavation machines to Sydney residents via a letterbox drop.
When contacted by interested residents, he sent truck drivers to dump more than 460 thousand kilograms of waste, including asbestos, at their homes.
Imagine being this big a turd

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

an AU based amazon job had a requirement 'must be capable of standing for 10-12 hours at a time'

This is basically any picking job where you haven't been blessed with becoming a revered and respected ForkLord.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

This is basically any picking job where you haven't been blessed with becoming a revered and respected ForkLord.

yes hello this is forklord

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

GoldStandardConure posted:

yes hello this is forklord

lord forkwad

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

*reverses into racking, brings down whole warehouse*

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

It was an IT job

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Can whoever is doing June use this as reference to LNP cheers

https://youtu.be/cYSrjnjpzz0

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lol @ 7.30

"I'm a dumb boomer, where is my free money"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Brian Burston got rejected from the Shooters and Fishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I shouldn't be so surprised about how quickly One Nation version 1.3a is falling apart, but it's been a trainwreck

• Locked thread