Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

If it's not fit for purpose then it absolutely is, but if you're buying something that is broken and it has been explained many times clearly that it is broken and you still buy it then I doubt that you're entitled to a refund under consumer law.
As a consumer there are rights you can not waive despite a vendor's desperate attempts to have you sign them away:

https://cdn.tspace.gov.au/uploads/sites/60/2016/05/0553FT_ACL-guides_Guarantees_web.pdf posted:

Acceptable quality

Suppliers and manufacturers guarantee that goods are of acceptable quality when sold to a consumer (other than goods sold by way of auction).

Test for acceptable quality

Goods are of acceptable quality when a reasonable consumer, fully aware of the goods’ condition (including any defects) would find them:

• fit for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly supplied—for example, a toaster must be able to toast bread
• acceptable in appearance and finish—for example, a new toaster should be free from scratches
• free from defects—for example, the toaster’s timer knob should not fall off when used soon after it was purchased
• safe—for example, sparks should not fly out of the toaster
• durable—for example, the toaster must function for a reasonable time after purchase, without breaking down.

This test takes into account:
• the nature of the goods—for example, a major appliance such as a fridge is expected to last longer than a toaster
• the price paid—for example, a cheap toaster is not expected to last as long as a top-of-the range one
• any statements about the goods on any packaging or label on the goods—for example, the toaster box shows a special defroster function
• any representations made about the goods by the manufacturer or supplier—for example, the supplier said the crumb tray was easy to detach and clean
• any other relevant circumstances relating to supply of the goods.

Mentioned above but there is a specific OTHER guide that pertains entirely to safety of goods sold:

https://cdn.tspace.gov.au/uploads/sites/60/2016/05/0553FT_ACL-guides_PSafety_web.pdf

Anidav posted:

Barnaby Joyce rubs a magic lamp.

What comes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

NTRabbit posted:

I was going to apply for one of those ASD analyst positions, but I'm not sure enabling fascists is a worthwhile price to pay for getting out of long term unemployment
Unless you smash the state you are part of the system whether you like it or not. ASD is a fantastic workplace. If you are a nerd and are going to have a job there are few better ones. They have the latest toys at all times.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Don Dongington posted:

Don't stop there

Dissolve all of them
Yes this could not possibly have any unintended consequences like State government appointing partisan administrators and running rough shod over due process.

Now instead of regurgitating the now out of date productivity v wages growth graph lets look at recent data:

Or maybe:

https://www.pc.gov.au/research/ongoing/productivity-update/2016/comparing-australias-productivity-performance

Or even:

https://static.treasury.gov.au/uploads/sites/1/2017/08/p2017-t213722-Roundup_Productivity_trends_and_structural_change.pdf

Now after digesting that try and get it to sync with:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/federal-budget-should-go-for-growth/9721964

Yeah, Nah Jennifer you arch-muppet.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

You Am I posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-04/triple-zero-outages-nsw-victoria-western-australia-cable-cut/9725860

Triple-0 outages in Victoria, NSW and WA.

Someone forgot to call "Dial before you Dig"
Thor is negligent like that. It was a lightning strike

Speaking of digging; Didn't want those endangered species anyway!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-04/environment-department-to-lose-60-jobs-key-to-threatened-species/9722560

This is smashing the furniture on the way out the door. It would seem unlikely the coalition will make another term and this act is going to do what the cuts to the CSIRO did to their future. These people are the entire 'corporate' knowledge regarding how to save or prolong these species. The DoE has almost literally all the leading expert PhDs on many threatened species. Not only that, they have the knowledge of what has and has not worked in the multi government layer and corporate situations that require complicated manoeuvring to achieve even small outcomes.

Vandalism by utter poo poo smeared clown car pilots with no loving clue.

Kiss this little guy good bye for a start. I said Josh Frydenburg was a complete muppet from day one and unfortunately he has delivered in spades.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 4, 2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Starshark posted:

A quick look on wiki reveals that Shepherd is a business person, but nothing saying that he knows economics. Could it be that he has no idea how government debt works?
Tony Shepard is an uber muppet. I've done hatchet jobs on him before.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

this broken hill posted:

if any of you are doing or contemplating a mature age uni degree i implore you to drop out and do a tafe diploma instead, you learn more and it's way more entertaining
Cool! Which TAFEs teach quantum physics?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Digiwizzard posted:

Our head of concentration camps is now also the head of secret police.
If we stop administering the electric shocks to your genitals, we will be going soft on terror.

Kommando posted:

A set up to make it hard for the next government?
DING DING DING!

Entrenching structural budgetary disaster is the LNPs main policy plank.

:toxx: :siren: :toxx: If the LNP are still in power in 2020 and the budget is in surplus (As this budget assures us). I will never post again*. :toxx: :siren: :toxx:

*Possibly because I'm in a SERCO camp which only has Optus NBN.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

Why did this man on foot so maliciously collide with our innocent police car!
WA? Turns out he might be safer outside a police car/prison van/police station cell. The interiors of those places tend to kill indigenous folk.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

this broken hill posted:

i will trade an ounce of marijuana for two milking goats, a blue cattledog, or a child of working age that i can raise as my own
Is four working age?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It's time to shoot the dissadents!

It's time to ignore their rights!

It's time to impose Fascism on the MUPPET SHOW tonight!

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/technology-chief-directed-staff-to-delete-information-20180516-p4zfli.html

quote:

Technology chief 'directed staff to delete information' By Matt O'Sullivan16 May 2018 — 10:14pm

The information chief at Peter Dutton’s new Home Affairs super ministry allegedly ordered the deletion of a government record relevant to a request under freedom of information laws when he was a senior executive at NSW’s transport agency. Tim Catley, who began his high-ranking role at Home Affairs in February, is accused of directing staff at Transport for NSW to delete government information in 2016, in witness statements given during an investigation by the state’s Information and Privacy Commission. Tim Catley is now in charge of technology at the Turnbull government's new Home Affairs super ministry.

Mr Catley vehemently denies he asked anyone to delete government records. “The allegation that I asked anyone to delete an email is not true and it is not technologically possible to do that anyway [at the transport agency]. Professionally and ethically I wouldn’t do anything like that,” he told the Herald. Following a referral from the Independent Commission Against Corruption, the state’s Information Commission launched an investigation behind closed doors into the deletion of a record at Transport for NSW to avoid public disclosure 18 months ago. During that investigation, the Information Commission was told of a culture inside Transport for NSW of suppressing bad news, meaning that higher levels within the department were not told of potential cost blowouts on projects. The investigation also heard that warnings about this culture of suppression were relayed to the then secretary of the department, Tim Reardon, now NSW’s top public servant as head of the Department of Premier and Cabinet. A preliminary report on the Information Commission’s investigation, seen by the Herald, found that a Transport for NSW executive issued directions to delete government information relevant to a request under the Government Information (Public Access) Act (GIPA), the state’s freedom of information legislation.

“The investigation has found that the executive directed the deletion of records that were germane to a GIPA access application and that staff acted on that direction,” the report, by Information and Privacy commissioner Elizabeth Tydd, said. Ms Tydd’s report did not name Mr Catley as the executive who directed the deletion. But the witness statements to the commission assert that it was Mr Catley who gave the direction. Despite her finding about the direction, Ms Tydd determined there were no grounds to refer the matter to the Director of Public Prosecutions or the Attorney-General. Her analysis of the GIPA Act found it was possible for a public servant to direct another official to prevent disclosure of information without committing an offence.

According to Ms Tydd’s analysis, if the official who destroys the information is unaware the information is subject to a freedom-of-information request, the person who directed them to delete that information did not commit an offence. And because other staff at Transport for NSW later ensured the deleted document was retrieved, the commissioner found the government agency had not failed in its duty.
According to evidence given during the investigation, Mr Catley raised concerns at a meeting in July 2016 about emails that detailed a cost blowout in the $425 million “Next Generation Infrastructure Services” project. An application for information about the IT project sought under the GIPA Act was also discussed at the meeting.

RELATED ARTICLE
$425m IT upgrade for transport agencies veers off the rails

That same month, Mr Catley allegedly directed a more junior staff member to delete an email about the exit from Transport for NSW of a manager who had a senior role overseeing the IT project, according to witness statements given to the Information Commission. At the time, Mr Catley had responsibility for technology at Transport for NSW as its chief information officer, a role he had held since 2012.
Early this year, a “confidential” report by a consulting firm commissioned by Transport for NSW revealed a concerning picture of the state of IT at the state’s transport agencies. The Information Commission was also told during its investigation that the full extent of cost blowouts were withheld from steering committees, and attempts made to avoid a project gaining a “red rating” even if it should have one. A red rating means a project has overshot its budget, which triggers regular audits and greater oversight by the Transport Minister’s office. After six years at the head of technology, Mr Catley left Transport for NSW in February, assuming the role as the first assistant secretary of the Home Affairs’ information and communication technology division. In his new position, he directly reports to the deputy secretary of Intelligence and Capability at the super ministry.

Mr Catley denied he had directed staff at Transport for NSW to delete government information.
“I am saying that I didn’t do the things that the allegation makes out. I have never asked a staff member to delete an email,” he said. “That is not something I would do.” Mr Catley said he had not seen the Information Commission’s final report, and did not understand how it could find that he directed the deletion of a record. He said emails could not be deleted at Transport for NSW because all emails that were sent or received were stored permanently in the agency’s enterprise vault. “It is technologically impossible to delete emails within Transport,” he said. Mr Catley said he disclosed to Home Affairs that an investigation by NSW’s Information Commission was under way when he was in discussions for a new role at the super ministry.

In the preliminary report, the NSW Information Commissioner concluded that Mr Reardon, the former transport secretary, was “ultimately able to uphold” his responsibilities under the GIPA Act, “notwithstanding the actions of an executive officer and the vulnerabilities that are apparent and able to be exploited”. Transport for NSW said in a statement that the Information Commissioner found the agency fulfilled its obligations in relation to “all of the access applications reviewed”. “The commissioner found no evidence that information within scope of the applications was deleted. No information was released in relation to the identified GIPA applications,” it said. The agency said it was unable to comment on individual staff. It added it had “governance systems in place that ensure senior leaders and steering committee members are aware of the detail around all major projects”. The Information Commissioner said in a statement that a final report on the investigation had been handed to Transport Minister Andrew Constance and Transport for NSW. Ms Tydd declined to comment on whether the final report would be made public but noted that investigations under the GIPA Act were made in the absence of the public. The Department of Premier and Cabinet referred questions to Transport for NSW. Home Affairs said it did not comment on individual employees.

WORLD
Man tries to rob a group of kids at gunpoint. A mum stepped in and shot him

DOMAIN.COM.AU
'It's crisis time': Sydney's boost for affordable housing

DOMAIN.COM.AU
Apartment owners fear their block will become 'backpacker hostel'

LIFESTYLE
Meghan Markle's dad has disobeyed the first rule of weddings
FROM THE WEB

FINDER
Best Credit Cards to Take with You Overseas

HEALTH INSURANCE
Born Before 1962? Read this Now and Save on Health Insurance!

CARNIVAL CRUISES
Book with Carnival — Save Up To $500^ Per Cabin! T&Cs Apply.

SMSF ASSOCIATION
Franking credits impact on SMSFs

SODASTREAM
Sparkling water made by you for less than 40c a litre with SodaStream

P&O
What’s cruisier than 300 bucks?
Recommendations powered by plista

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Don Dongington posted:

I wonder if this is the dumb loving move that finally makes Bishop lose her cool and nut him square in the face at last.
Isn't this Barnyardaby's job?

Or even Astro Lab

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

Why do so many managers engage in workplace cruelty?
'Cause it's fun?

It comes down to power dynamics. If you have the power you are likely to abuse it. Human nature.

I make my staff wear stupid hats at christmas.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do you wear the stupidest hat of them all?
Yes and no. I wear a Grinch hat.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Previous Defence Minister has a spirited shot at Defending the Indefensible:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/sponsorship-money-from-global-weapons-manufacturers/9785954

quote:

Should the Australian War Memorial take sponsorship money from weapons manufacturers?

The Australian War Memorial has come under fire for its long-running sponsorship deals with big global weapons manufacturers, such as BAE and Lockheed Martin. The Medical Association for the Prevention of War has also criticised the Memorial for "blurring the distinction between commemoration ... and entertainment". The attack is part of the Association's submission to a parliamentary inquiry into Canberra's national institutions.

:australia:

And why does the War Memorial need all that sweat sweat corporate blood money? No, it's not because chubby Muslim children are nicking gold coins from the pool of remembrance. It's the efficiency dividend!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

DancingShade posted:

Not going to lie. My first thought was that Daisy is an adult dressed like a child having a prim and proper tea party with her stuffed animals.
Yes her clothes certainly make her opinion more/less egregious. Ffs....

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Something that ALP strategists should probably be factoring into the mix is that, should they win election, all the Neo-con appointees in Border Farce will stop concealing the number of 'turn-backs', 'turn-back' deaths and concealed boat arrives and start leaking it all to the press. This will make it look like the ALP (or ALP & Greens) have 'lost control of our borders just like we said they would'. Any policy that isn't a straight out rejection of the current arrangements is doomed. Forget any humanitarian aspects this is pure strategy.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gucci bane posted:

ah yes, the famously neocon australian public service
Lol.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-06/second-senior-australian-border-force-officer-on-leave/8682460

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-03/border-force-commissioner-on-leave-amid-external-investigation/8674600

Note how they don't even look like actual public servants (Blue pin stripe suit ). Well it isn't a surprise they are all men now is it?

Also while I'm speculating about the future this is exactly what happened during the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd years. Once NTATA got in notice how quickly the boats stopped after the whole agency ceased reporting on them? 'On water matters' anyone?

hooman posted:

Wow.

Quick, everyone race to the bottom!
If only tax rate was the only thing that helped companies do business in the corporate regulators arsenal :rolleyes:

Someone let the PC genie out of the bottle again:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-29/superannuation-report-says-retiree-nest-eggs-are-being-diluted/9809306

quote:

Do industry funds still outperform retail funds?

The report also questions the claim that industry superannuation funds always outperform retail funds and says that some industry funds are also among the underperformers. "Industry funds on average have clearly outperformed retail funds over the past decade but unfortunately for fund members they don't all enjoy the average experience," Ms Chester said.

We found one industry fund, run by the shoppies, that was basically a money laundering facility for the ALP right therefore....

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Is this really the quality of trolling we can expect now?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

bell jar posted:

the refugees just get on a boat and sail it themselves! with guns!
You can't 'sail' with guns you big silly! You have to use them as paddles.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gucci bane posted:

cool links about the guy who promoted his girlfriend. maybe have another go and see if you can put your thoughts into coherent sentences.
Ad hominem - Check!
Ignores the actual point of the articles - Check!
Lack of proper capitalisation - Check!
How about them standard issue APS uniforms? Ignored. - Check!

F- minus. Try harder and you might just only fail at debate.

PS. I was about to take over a ~serious business~ job in DIMA when I quit the APS. I might know a little bit more about this than you are willing to admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

bandaid.friend posted:

Only half the questions the Department of Jobs and Small Business took on notice from the last round of estimates were answered by the due date April 20th, with some not returned until the day before this round. I don't know what the late questions were. How common is this?
Somewhat common but it opens the door to a censure motion. In the current senate that would be couragious.

• Locked thread