Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Dude McAwesome posted:

BCA are loving inconsistent as hell. “Pay workers less”, “increase social services payments”.

So they want to pay poor people less, but they also want poor people to have more money (that will be spent in their industries). Clowns. Maybe if they lobbied their own members to increase wages people would be spending more.

this is entirely consistent though? lower wages but more welfare mean businesses get to spend less on employees but consumers still have money to buy goods. it’s self serving horseshit but there’s nothing contradictory to it.

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

posting is a passion shared by both 4chan and something awful. makes you think

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the comments on that article are great. “well we invested a lot of our own money to open a cafe but we forgot to factor in that you have to pay your staff a wage so we’re losing money. pity us” :qq:

imo it’s not ok that the desired response to “we hosed up our business plan” is “we’ll just break the law” but i guess that’s why i’m not making the big bucks

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what’s the over/under on how much a graphics designer charged for that logo

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Before Times posted:

gently caress I just realised what that is

lol if ur not at the stage that any given image looks more or less like goatse

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it’ll be interesting to see the high court’s argument, as from what i understand this ruling basically puts people at the mercy of foreign governments’ bureaucratic efficiency.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ok so from the live blog the position seems to be “if the british take a long time to confirm your decision to drop your citizenship, tough luck” which is a really stupid position but that’s the law i guess

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bigis posted:

Surely you plan to run as a pollie for a long time before the election.

Tough poo poo if you don’t get it done in time.

you might plan to run but there’s no guarantee you’ll be preselected. personally i don’t think people should have to abandon privileges on the off chance that they’ll need to do so at some indeterminate future point.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thank you for your forthright analysis

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

politicians aren’t bureaucrats tho

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it should be hard to become a politician so only psychopaths who were members of young libs/labs get into parliament

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

They'll contest them and win them again it's no biggie.

apparently one of the seats is held by the alp with a .8% margin so it’ll be interesting to watch

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the pretty obvious subtext is that young people being in poverty is ok but when it’s older people that’s when we need to be concerned

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

conversely, if adults and children were paid the same, what motivation would a fast food or supermarket employer have to employ a child over an adult? how do you propose young people enter the labour market when potentially competing with people with 10-15+ years experience than them in unskilled roles

i motherfucking love figuring out market-based solutions to labour issues, hell yeah

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if we can just figure out the correct equation to determine wages we will have 0% employment

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

imagine being so psychotic you join the police

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

“This was gazetted in 1964. You can’t all of a sudden discount that,” she said. “You can’t have owned a block of land since 1964 and be told, ‘sorry, the sea is going to take it’.

turns out geological realities do not respect the gazetting process

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

This week, the High Court provided an escape for people like Aly. The constitutional bar on electing dual citizens doesn’t apply where foreign law contains “an insurmountable obstacle, such as a requirement with which compliance is not possible.” The majority gave just one example of such a law: a requirement to travel to a dangerous country. A further example was given by another judge: a requirement to complete overseas military service first...

What horseshit. How is it "not possible" to travel to a dangerous country? It's undesirable sure, but not insurmountable. All that the high court has done is place an arbitrary line that's more difficult to clear than the previous arbitrary line of "reasonable steps".

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ewe2 posted:

If half of government systems are the mess that Social Services are in, we're in a world of trouble. It's like sticky-tape fixes at best.

social services is the high water mark for functionality at the federal level

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lock her up

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i mean, she’s not a great member of parliament - she managed to set off a pauline hanson witch hunt about international students because she provided incorrect figures regarding scholarships

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thatfatkid posted:

I thought the state governments nominated who replaces a senator?

yes, but by convention they will always nominate the candidate chosen by the party of the outgoing senator.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

nobody’s gonna break convention when they know it’ll bite them in the rear end one day. remember that ensuring jobs for mates rises above partisanship

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

yeah the afp put out an alert just this week for a taiwanese scam targeting chinese nationals, coercing them to fake their own kidnaping to blackmail family members in china. wild stuff

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

These RULE, why have we not talked about 'em before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7488RL5KKY

got an issue with your premise friend

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ludlam wrote a piece in the guardian endorsing guillotineing dutton and hanson. good stuff, nourishing

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

just don’t send a letter dude. take the L

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

McGiggins posted:

This is, :sad:ly, a very bad post.

Like, go gently caress yourself bad.

cripes

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

keep in mind also that the higher up in the aps you are the more you have to lose from leaks from your department. take mike pezullo, secretary of home affairs; huge piece of poo poo by anyone’s reckoning, but he’s a career public servant who spent years in labor ministerial offices including as deputy chief of staff to beazley in opposition. he’s not going to throw away decades of experience and networking to score points for the lnp. in addition, he has a personal interest in stopping leaks from his department to create good working relations with his ministers.

now i could see someone like john lloyd, apsc commissioner, leaking to damage a labor government. however the downside to the lnp parachuting an ipa dickhead into the commissioner position is that there’s not much he can do to help them once they leave government. he’ll also be one of the first to go on a change of government as he’s so obviously partisan.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

just to be clear this latest guy is a eugenicist right

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Paingod556 posted:

Is Labor going to let that pair vote anyway, after the Libs showed it means nothing?

that was a vic lnp issue. federal lnp hasn’t pulled any bullshit yet (abbott was a piece
of poo poo who refused to grant pairs but he was upfront about that)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

also cartoon my man dima hasn’t existed for over a decade now

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

Bernie Fraser former RBA governor calls for reform of industry super funds to "level the playing field" by allowing people to choose and lock in a Super Fund for life when they register for thier TFN "significantly eroding the power of unions to assign default funds"

:thunk:

they should do this and make it so if your super fund goes out of business during your 50-60 year working life then you get 0 super when you retire. really incentivise thinking long and hard about your super choice when you’re 14.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

rumour is she’s going to reject the subpoena

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Lol, even the Guardian liveblog has had enough:

amy is good, i think she hates auspol about as much as me

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

[quote=]
Cash: Oh, I am enjoying this performance by Senator Watt, people often accuse me of being a performer. I am incredibly impressed by this.
[/quote]
im not mad actually i’m laughing

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i thought the greens image would have the famous a wyatt mann caricature but i’ve literally never seen that picture and i’m pretty terminally internet poisoned. :shrug:

also joe bullock has left the labor party and joined the libs. good loving riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

not answering questions on notice is a Very Bad Look for the department in question but when push comes to shove there’s not that much that can be done about it

• Locked thread