Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

norp posted:

And if you aren't carrying id they should be able to taze you for fun

If you don't agree that means you hate police, safety and President for Life Dutton.

You don't want to express a negative opinion about President for Life Dutton do you citizen?

*hand hovers over black old timey rotary telephone*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Family First officially merged with the Conservatives, Gichuhi decided not to and so became an independent. Then she joined the Libs.

I have no idea who would get to replace her if she left parliament.

As long as she has declared publicly her affiliation with the Liberals then if she decided to step down before the election the Liberal party would have the right to replace her. It's why parties are so pissed off whenever somebody defects in the senate because whoever they defect to suddenly gets a new seat in parliament irrespective of whether that particular person remains there or not.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I thought the state governments nominated who replaces a senator?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-15/nsw-government-to-slash-union-election-funds/9764444

quote:

Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Tuesday announced an overhaul of electoral funding laws, which would more than halve the amount of money unions and other third parties are allowed to spend on state elections.
Under current laws, the amount that third parties can spend on election campaigns is capped at $1.2 million each, but the legislation proposes to slash that to about $500,000.
The move is part of a broader package of measures, which the Premier said was aimed at reducing corruption and undue influence in elections.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thatfatkid posted:

I thought the state governments nominated who replaces a senator?

yes, but by convention they will always nominate the candidate chosen by the party of the outgoing senator.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BBJoey posted:

yes, but by convention they will always nominate the candidate chosen by the party of the outgoing senator.

Unless it was Sir Joh making the choice

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Convention is dead anyway.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

nobody’s gonna break convention when they know it’ll bite them in the rear end one day. remember that ensuring jobs for mates rises above partisanship

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

BBJoey posted:

nobody’s gonna break convention when they know it’ll bite them in the rear end one day. remember that ensuring jobs for mates rises above partisanship

The Good Friday Pairing

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lid posted:

The Good Friday Pairing

no you see that was a noble undertaking as an independent was ill and wouldn't be given a pair, thus to make sure dan andrews and his labor cronies couldn't ram through cfa legislation matthew guy bravely had two false pairings on religious grounds because

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

And then a week later after lauding Guy on outmaneuvering evil Labor to save are CFA, the Herald Sun was implying the independent must not have been all that sick because they went on a trip to America in their official capacity.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

You Am I posted:

Unless it was Sir Joh making the choice

A qld lnp govt would definitely do that again.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's a bit lowbrow but what the hell:

https://twitter.com/tonightly/status/991493923515215872

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yet another "celebrity" shithead chef underpaying his staff:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-16/workers-owed-thousands-intimidated-at-burch-purhese-sweet-studio/9762844

Also throw in some staff intimidation for extra spice.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-16/legal-stoush-over-stolen-lamborghini/9759688

Am i being too judmental in thinking Mr Chellah is a scumbag?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Lid posted:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-16/legal-stoush-over-stolen-lamborghini/9759688

No. If you buy something and it turns out to be stolen, you are obliged to return it.

In fact, when my bike was stolen I asked my lawyer friend what would happen if I went to find a similar bike on gumtree and found my recently stolen bike. I asked if I could ride it away with no consequences. His response was he'd prefer it if I didn't do that because it could get messy, but if I could prove without a doubt the bike was mine I could in theory jump onto it and pedal off into the sunset. Proving it, however, could be a problem, especially if the owner was also a victim (i.e. they had been sold the bike by the person who'd stolen it).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Full disclosure: part of my issue with this is a bigger issue I have with one of the areas of Australian/New Zealand law i loathe (that is legal) - immediate indefeasibility which applies to torrens title. In laymans terms if somehow your house, namely your certificate of title, gets stolen and your property is then sold to a third party who does not know at all that the title was stolen and they register the property in the register then that third party now owns the house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazer_v_Walker

There is in fact a statutory fund, the Torrens Assurance Fund, to compensate people who have lost their house this way. Which to me is complete bullshit, you just lost your house well heres some money for your troubles get back in the market.

http://www.registrargeneral.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf.../TAF-Information-Sheet.pdf

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

The courts found he wasn’t acting in good faith, which means they thought he was a scumbag.

Torrens title is good though

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birdstrike posted:

The courts found he wasn’t acting in good faith, which means they thought he was a scumbag.

Torrens title is good though

Deferred indefeasbility 5 lyf

but seriously maintaining a system that can, and is, hosed over by fraud because "too hard" is god drat stupid

i don't care that torrens is clearly better than old system, its the immediate indefeasibility and the sanctity of the register i loathe

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

The pensioners retiring overseas because they can't afford Australia

Fuckin' leaners on welfare going on overseas trips. God drat bludgers.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Dude McAwesome posted:

"Former gallery owner"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why the gently caress are we giving a pension to people who have a permanent address overseas?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

Why the gently caress are we giving a pension to people who have a permanent address overseas?

Because THEY EARNED it with a LIFETIME OF HARD WORK and they PAID TAXES THEIR WHOLE LIVES.

Really though, I'm going to put it down to graft and pandering.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dude McAwesome posted:

On the ABC news last night they had an article on about rising housing cost effecting people on social security.

So did they use a young person as their case study? Or a single mother with children? No, some baby boomer who used to run a business complaining about not affording rent in her inner city suburb.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

You Am I posted:

On the ABC news last night they had an article on about rising housing cost effecting people on social security.

So did they use a young person as their case study? Or a single mother with children? No, some baby boomer who used to run a business complaining about not affording rent in her inner city suburb.
unfortunately that's the abc's target market now, they hate anyone under 50

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
all the tv stations are hard right atm except sbs, but someone there decided now is a good time to screen housos, so who knows what game they're playing tbh

the other stations speak for themselves

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
and yes i'm aware it's because only olds are watching tv

speaking of olds, right now i'm in the enviable life position of being able to read the maitland mercury three times a week and let me tell you they never fail to deliver the hard-hitting journalism we need in this age of crises

this broken hill fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 16, 2018

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Lid posted:

Immediate indefeasibility bad

:cheers: My goon.

Interestingly I was in the minority for thinking it was bad at law school. Most people took the position of "well that's a bit poo poo, but it hardly ever happens, and it's the best we've got". Incidentally property law was one of my worst subjects so make of that what you will.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
in the days of newscorp anidav who's to say what's real anymore

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

this broken hill posted:

all the tv stations are hard right atm except sbs, but someone there decided now is a good time to screen housos, so who knows what game they're playing tbh

the other stations speak for themselves

my partners kiwi parents loving love Housos

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

GoldStandardConure posted:

my partners kiwi parents loving love Housos
i'd never seen it before and it was, ah

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Whitlam posted:

:cheers: My goon.

Interestingly I was in the minority for thinking it was bad at law school. Most people took the position of "well that's a bit poo poo, but it hardly ever happens, and it's the best we've got". Incidentally property law was one of my worst subjects so make of that what you will.

Law students by and large don't want to think about questions asking is the law wrong, they just want to learn what the law says and apply it rote with the law must be valid because it's the law. Which is why everyone but me hated jurisprudence and how if they've never heard of John Locke they get stumped on "why do we follow law?"

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

this broken hill posted:

enviable life position of being able to read the maitland mercury three times a week

Dear God i am sorry to hear that. I "lived" in singleton for 3 months and about the only positive thing i could say about that loving dump is "well at least its not maitland". Or muswellbrook

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

We have an international agreement with just about every country on Earth that we pay our citizens the pensions they're entitled to, and in return other countries pay people living in Australia what they're entitled to. My Dad's getting part pensions from three countries. They even made him apply for an Indian pension even though it was being colonised by the Brits when he was born there and I doubt they'd be too keen to give him money for the privilege.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Lid posted:

Law students by and large don't want to think about questions asking is the law wrong, they just want to learn what the law says and apply it rote with the law must be valid because it's the law. Which is why everyone but me hated jurisprudence and how if they've never heard of John Locke they get stumped on "why do we follow law?"

Had a lawyer in my M&A class in business school like that. When prof asked why M&A law requires a takeover offer to be above the market value of the shares I responded that it's because it's assumed the takeover proponent knows more than the market about the value of the shares and therefore must bid higher than market value to compensate existing shareholders. She piped in and said she knows that's the law but wasn't sure whether that was the reason why. Prof nodded and said i was right.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/EwinHannan/status/996574501784535040?s=19

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

when I first read Nozick I didn’t know Wilt Chamberlain was a real guy.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Lid posted:

My favourite exam ever was for public policy. The teacher was a huge lefty Greenie (I'm sure his name would be known to some people ITT) and the questions were basically like "how does Australia's treatment of refugees and asylum seekers make you feel?" Boy howdy was that ever a polarizing one.

(Side note but my graduation is on Friday :toot:)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Whitlam posted:

My favourite exam ever was for public policy. The teacher was a huge lefty Greenie (I'm sure his name would be known to some people ITT) and the questions were basically like "how does Australia's treatment of refugees and asylum seekers make you feel?" Boy howdy was that ever a polarizing one.

(Side note but my graduation is on Friday :toot:)

Was this at UTAS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birdstrike posted:

when I first read Nozick I didn’t know Wilt Chamberlain was a real guy.

On the other hand gently caress Nozick

In modern all in on Rawls (though it should be all Mill and Kant).

• Locked thread