Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

5 mins till Pell decision :getin:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2018/may/01/cardinal-george-pell-committal-trial-historical-sexual-offence-charges-live Obligatory Guardian live blog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Free TAFE is huge and cool and good.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

You Am I posted:

So Coalition MP Andrew Laming has pretty well laid his boot into all teachers, saying that they are lazy, that the bad teachers get paid the same as good teachers thanks to UNIONS and they should have fewer holidays.

I'm not sure which part of his whole screed was my favourite. I think it was either when he suggested that teachers are wasting their time working at home, that they should work eight hours a day, or when he criticised them for their breaks "mirroring their students". The whole thing is full of contradictions that show how little he knows about teaching anything.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

hooman posted:

I'd be in favor of teachers having to spend less of their personal time slaving to their work. But given it's an LNP member saynigi t, it's probably lazy leaner teachers working 4 hours too many holidays!

It's worth reading the full thing for how laughably awful and out of touch it is. It's an unusual tactic to publicly and actively take the stance of "actually, we value teachers too much in society" but well here we are.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

I unironically remain in favour of abolishing local governments. Come at me.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

I'm an ACU grad ama.

Every room (at least at the Melbourne campus) has a cross in it and one time my friend was discussing her anaemia and was unironically told to pray about it.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Did the praying help?

Jesus' love will help us all :angel:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

The Before Times posted:

what about downloading a car

You wouldn't!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Fwiw I have dyscalculia and worked retail within the last three years and had no trouble operating the till.

Now dealing with fucktard parents who wouldn't let their boys buy anything pink or purple, on the other hand...

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

I did quite a bit of work on the Vic Voluntary Assisted Dying legislation and the attitude of the disabled community is very split. Without wanting to overly generalise, the divisions are generally between those who were born with it vs acquired in later life, and those whose disabilities were more or less unchanging, and those with degenerative conditions.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Obviously each jurisdiction is different, but in Victoria if other factors are suspected, e.g. depression, the doctor can make psych referrals before authorising it.

Imo it's pretty lovely and hypocritical of the disabled community to tell other members, particularly those with degenerative conditions, that they're being disabled wrong.

As with any issue there's also a religious overlay that can't be ignored, especially for those who see it as God challenging them vs those who don't. For me, it's an issue of personal choice like any other. Don't want it? Great, don't get it. But don't stop other people. Also as part of the Vic legislation more money is being put into palliative care services, so it's definitely not going to be ignored or neglected (not saying anyone here has suggested it will be, jist one of the concerns I've heard).

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Ban all men.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

froglet posted:

Yeah, my main concern is that personal choices don't happen in a vacuum - I want to make sure people are adequately supported before making this choice rather than feeling backed into a corner. :)

Definitely fair enough, and a standard that should apply for both sides, whether they're for it or against.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Lid posted:

Immediate indefeasibility bad

:cheers: My goon.

Interestingly I was in the minority for thinking it was bad at law school. Most people took the position of "well that's a bit poo poo, but it hardly ever happens, and it's the best we've got". Incidentally property law was one of my worst subjects so make of that what you will.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Lid posted:

Law students by and large don't want to think about questions asking is the law wrong, they just want to learn what the law says and apply it rote with the law must be valid because it's the law. Which is why everyone but me hated jurisprudence and how if they've never heard of John Locke they get stumped on "why do we follow law?"

My favourite exam ever was for public policy. The teacher was a huge lefty Greenie (I'm sure his name would be known to some people ITT) and the questions were basically like "how does Australia's treatment of refugees and asylum seekers make you feel?" Boy howdy was that ever a polarizing one.

(Side note but my graduation is on Friday :toot:)

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

ACU in Melbourne.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How Catholic are you? Have you thrown rocks at an abortion clinic?

Baptised a Lutheran :getin:

Kafka Syrup posted:

I'm stretching my brain to think who I know teaches at ACU in Melbourne..?

Spencer Zifcak

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Kafka Syrup posted:

Ooooooooooh - I used a bunch of his research during the QLD Human Rights Act campaign. Good poo poo. Glad he's still teaching and he's still rad.

Just don't get him to be your Honours supervisor and you'll be fine.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Meanwhile the Libs in WA are going to save Ian Goodenough from a preselection challenge lol

I guess Lucy, Jane and Ann just weren't Goodenough.

Don't care how low-hanging that fruit was :dealwithit:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Don Dongington posted:

IIRC they also funneled about 2.2M in public money to them via a loving stupid civil suit against the NTEU which they eventually dropped because it was pants on head stupid.

I just came off an employment law placement where we talked about this case quite a bit. IIRC it's more like $2.8 spent by Murdoch and the NTEU won't confirm the amount but said it's either high six figures or low seven, negotiations are actually still ongoing and it's been literally years at this point, and Murdoch didn't drop the suit, they won, in part because the NTEU used moronic tactics that included questioning some ridiculous number of staff (I want to say between 50 and 100) and it didn't prove their point, it only pissed off the judge.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

So has SHY's office just stopped giving a gently caress because she's not going to win pre-selection or what? https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/05/23/15/15/sarah-hanson-young-press-release-riddle-with-errors

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

I thought there was talk about SHY not winning pre-selection in this thread a while back, but it might have been wishful thinking.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Fauxbot posted:

Beyond Luke Foley being an rear end as usual, I'm finding the controversy insanely confusing, since I thought "white flight" was a technical term to describe the phenomena of white people leaving areas of perceived economic or social distress (with the perception often being tied to the desegregation of the suburb more than any actual economic impact), to resettle elsewhere. All the awful saffers who left South Africa to settle here, for example.

Like one of the criticisms around NAPLAN I remember reading about years ago was that it promoted white flight.

Yeah, at the risk of getting dogpiled here, that was my understanding of it too. Like I get the point of what dogwhistles are and how they work, but in this circumstance I honestly could see it being a case of misspeaking/obliviousness or whatever rather than deliberately going after that sweet sweet bigot vote. I'm not saying we should just give the benefit of the doubt whenever anyone is accused of racism, but idk if a fairly obscure (in Australia) American political term with racist connotations being used in that context is really the second coming of the gestapo like some people are making it out to be, especially given who the people getting super outraged in the media are.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Laserface posted:

Do you get some kind of allowance/benefit for taking foster kids? because how do you be compassionate enough to take on foster kids yet also convince yourself that its OK to murder them because your son raped them and *might* be pregnant?

it always seems like hosed up people that shouldnt have any kids at all end up with foster kids, so whats the draw?

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you do, otherwise basically nobody would do it. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you do pay, you incentivise lovely people signing up for financial benefit. Sure, the number of people who slip through the cracks like this is small, but try explaining to the Palmers that they just got statistically unlucky.

On the other hand, if you don't pay or help subsidise the costs at all, good luck finding anyone actually willing to take in and pay for a kid who isn't theirs and probably has some behavioural issues and possibly learning difficulties to boot.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

GoldStandardConure posted:

Or just give two to David.

:colbert:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Has anyone seen the Facebook page of the Greens candidate for Footscray? He looks like he's a Toll shirt away from being an angry white supremacist.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

https://www.facebook.com/AngusMcAlpineGreensFootscray/ Phone/work posting so I'll just leave the link, but I don't know him which is why I ask. As someone who doesn't know him he comes across as very negative to me, and almost everything he's posted has been either slamming Labor or about refugees, with no positive policy announcements, which is not a great strategy for a state government election, especially with a fairly popular state Labor government. Also he keeps tagging things with #VicPol which someone should probably explain to him doesn't mean what he thinks it means.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Dominos man is bad and his motives for questioning UberEats and others are questionable and hypocritical, but he's not entirely wrong. Personally I'd love for people working for those organisations (and in others in the gig economy generally) to receive actual employee benefits, since from a practical perspective they are. Bring on an inquiry, I say.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

I was in the QANDA audience for some special they did a few years back (world AIDS Day, I think) and it was hilarious because before they started filming, they had the panel come out, say hi, introduce themselves. Only it was filmed in Melbourne, and Amanda Vanstone preceded Michael Kirby. Amanda got a polite golf clap, and Kirby got rapturous applause. She proceeded to sulk for the rest of the filming and only said about five words. 10/10 would watch meltdown again.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Great job Adam Bandt posting anti-Semitic imagery to attack Labor over tax cuts. :downs:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

G-Spot Run posted:

Paywalled.

Copy and paste it or give us the headline so we can google it.

My bad, forgot about the paywall because I Googled it myself.

Adam Bandt apologies for removed ‘Nazi’ post

Greens MP Adam Bandt has apologised “for any offence caused” after removing Nazi-sympathiser imagery of a Jewish banker from a post on his Facebook page, amid outrage from members of the Jewish community.

The post, urging Labor to block Malcolm Turnbull’s “tax cuts for millionaires” and featuring a hook-nosed caricature of a Jewish banker similar to images notoriously published in Nazi-sympathiser newspaper Der Sturmer during the Holocaust, appeared on Mr Bandt’s Facebook page yesterday.

It was taken down without explanation this morning.

After being contacted by The Australian, a spokesman for Mr Bandt said the “clip-art image” was intended to portray a top-hatted millionaire benefiting from the tax cuts.

“Many cartoonists often use top hats to portray rich people,” the spokesman said. “However, some people have been offended by this particular image so we have taken it down.

“We sincerely apologise for any offence caused.”

Labor historian and Melbourne Jewish community member Nick Dyrenfurth tweeted at Mr Bandt, “When you criticise Turnbull’s tax cuts for millionaires don’t use Der Sturmer-style imagery of a Jewish banker. Deleting it today isn’t good enough. You should apologise.”

Anti-Defamation Commission chairman Dvir Abramovich said he had been contacted by people who were deeply distressed and offended by the post.

“In the minds of some, this image, showing a man with an exaggerated nose, linked with bags of money, evokes classic anti-Semitic themes and reinforces stereotypes about Jews as greedy and manipulative,” Dr Abramovich said.

“We should remember that similar caricatures were popularised in Germany during the Nazi era, especially in the virulently anti-Semitic magazine Der Sturmer.

“At a time when anti-Semitism is on the rise and is being normalised, we all have special responsibility to avoid promoting, albeit inadvertently, anything which may come across as aiding age-old hateful views of Jews.

“We sincerely doubt Adam Bandt intentionally sought to engage in any hurtful conduct, and we are glad that he has taken down the post.”

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

JBP posted:

What was the pic. Why do the Melbourne Greens have such a problem with Jews lmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/dyrenfurth/status/1001981392455118848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

I feel bad for her.

Or I mean I would, if she and her values weren't trash and this wasn't ultimately probably a good thing.

• Locked thread