Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if things start going bad just pull out your switch and play a little mario odyssey until you get your confidence back, remember
https://twitter.com/itssnails/status/927264738425192448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Capcom had a good run in the early days of the HD generation when Dead Rising and Lost Planet didn't have a lot of competition, Mega Man 9 doing 8 bit seemed unique and then RE5 and SF4 both sold really well. They tried to branch out by publishing a bunch of Western developed games (Dark Void, Bionic Commando and eventually DmC) which all sucked and lost them a lot of money. They really mismanaged both the Lost Planet and Dead Rising sequels which killed one franchise and has really capped out the other. Dragon's Dogma kicked rear end but IIRC they spent a ton of money making it and it didn't really work out for them. Now on any Capcom game that isn't mainline RE or MH you can realllllllly feel the budget. Street Fighter x Tekken, Street Fighter V and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite have all been disastrous out of the gate and had huge money grabs in them and it's hard to see where they go from here fighting games wise. I remain hopeful for Devil May Cry 5.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you're gonna crank one out in the bathroom make sure to not get any on your pants and wash your hands afterwards.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Two questions:
1. How is The Banner Saga?
2. What is The Banner Saga?

1. Sadly, not good. It's a turn-based strategy RPG. However, each side only gets to move one unit before it switches to the other side's turn (even if you have a heavy man advantage, you never get two moves in a row until there's literally only one enemy left and it switches to pile-on mode), you don't get to choose which unit to move, and each unit's HP also affects how strong it is. All that combined leads to stupid unintuitive bullshit like it being better to leave enemies alive at like 2hp rather than killing them so the enemy has to waste turns on moving half-dead idiots that can no longer accomplish anything.

Basically, the devs thought it was a good idea to put a rubber-banding mechanic in a strategy RPG.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

considering capcom hasnt made an in-house fg since 3rd Strike-ish im assuming their future FG plans will continue to be: outsource their brand.

actually wasn MvCI in-house?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

As long as Monster Hunter/Resident Evil/Ace Attorney exist I can't hate Capcom

i beat RE7 yesterday and it was good as hell

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you're gonna crank one out in the bathroom make sure to not get any on your pants and wash your hands afterwards.
actually walking out of the bathroom absolutely covered in cum is a HUGE power play

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im thinking about ken's long hair in the alpha games and baby? it's good.

thanks capcom

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Capcom had a good run in the early days of the HD generation when Dead Rising and Lost Planet didn't have a lot of competition, Mega Man 9 doing 8 bit seemed unique and then RE5 and SF4 both sold really well. They tried to branch out by publishing a bunch of Western developed games (Dark Void, Bionic Commando and eventually DmC) which all sucked and lost them a lot of money. They really mismanaged both the Lost Planet and Dead Rising sequels which killed one franchise and has really capped out the other. Dragon's Dogma kicked rear end but IIRC they spent a ton of money making it and it didn't really work out for them. Now on any Capcom game that isn't mainline RE or MH you can realllllllly feel the budget. Street Fighter x Tekken, Street Fighter V and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite have all been disastrous out of the gate and had huge money grabs in them and it's hard to see where they go from here fighting games wise. I remain hopeful for Devil May Cry 5.

the western deved games are the big thing cause a lot of that was keiji inafune's idea, and he got really pissed off when it didn't work out lol

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

Beat off in the bathroom and, if possible, try to take a huge dump. You will feel incredibly relaxed and calm the whole way through. Thank me later.

Also take a shot or two, that always helps me

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Capcom should just have Arc Sys make Darkstalkers 4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pick a random audience member and keep your eyes only on them the entire time

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

homeless snail posted:

actually walking out of the bathroom absolutely covered in cum is a HUGE power play

It definitely does allow you to mark and claim your territory, no one is going to steal the cum stapler, that's for sure.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

In Training posted:

considering capcom hasnt made an in-house fg since 3rd Strike-ish im assuming their future FG plans will continue to be: outsource their brand.

I mean maybe but it's 95% reused assets from MvC3, which wasn't.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Start strong with 'You know how everyone hates cyclists?', which will get the audience on board because as people they hate cyclists.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Capcom should just have Arc Sys make Darkstalkers 4.

Featuring special guest character Slayer

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

the western deved games are the big thing cause a lot of that was keiji inafune's idea, and he got really pissed off when it didn't work out lol

it's cool how after all the mid-late gen 7 angst about how to sell japanese games and them falling behind, it turned out the solution was just working out HD dev pipelines, better access to common engines, and more effectively marketing and selling stuff on more platforms

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man ordering something prime shipping from amazon and not getting it for a week sure is disappointing, should have checked that free shipping + credit towards next digital purchase button

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

In Training posted:

It was a mix of an internal team and a dozen different outsourcing studios. For the internal Capcom team, the junior staff was largely made of new recruits. A good deal of the art, animation, and cinematics was outsourced to various art and development support companies. This isn't altogether an unusual setup for AAA game development.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Doorknob Slobber posted:

man ordering something prime shipping from amazon and not getting it for a week sure is disappointing, should have checked that free shipping + credit towards next digital purchase button
I've had this issue for a whole year and I would complain each time. They would give me free games, credits, and prime extensions. This year they sourced some bizarre small courier company to deliver all my poo poo the next day. It's really great.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

In Training posted:

WHoa is there? [in merchant voice] Got a link?

Welp, this is something. I was going to go down the rabbit hole of showing you https://www.residentevil2.com and showing you the dude who registered that domain has also registered many other capcom sites over the years.

No big deal, everyone knew the remake was coming so duh.

I was then going to point you to https://www.residenteviloutbreak.com same place holder and registrar, with the presumption it's not just an url sit because theres nothing for https://www.residentevil3.com its unregistered.

I was going to do that, but in the time that the little obscure outbreak fan forum noticed this and now the registry info for the outbreak site is now protected so you cant even see dudes name. :iiam:

E: the https in the links is loving poo poo up on my phone, remove them if you want to see the simple OK

E2: yes this could very well be a Chrono Break scenario but goddamn it I want outbreak with everything it was supposed to have.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 31, 2018

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Try having already prepared an extremely compelling presentation ahead of time

I struggled in a speech class once in college because the instructor wanted everyone to do tons of prep work and outlines and submit all that and he'd dock you if you went too far off your established draft

But I tend to wing a lot of presentations and ad lib stuff so it was really distracting to me to be locked into canned presentation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dragon’s Dogma is the only Capcom game I have enjoyed since whenever Resident Evil originally came out.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I said come in! posted:

Dragon’s Dogma is the only Capcom game I have enjoyed since whenever Resident Evil originally came out.

resident evil 2 is good

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

You cad Okami came out after that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
resident evil is the rare series that is mostly good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

ghost trick??

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible posted:

resident evil is the rare series that is mostly good.

the spinoffs contain some of the worst games capcom has ever made to balance that out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Skypie posted:

I struggled in a speech class once in college because the instructor wanted everyone to do tons of prep work and outlines and submit all that and he'd dock you if you went too far off your established draft

But I tend to wing a lot of presentations and ad lib stuff so it was really distracting to me to be locked into canned presentation.

I gave a talk at a scientific conference last week where half my slides were venn diagrams ad libbing the actual words you say is the way to go for sure

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The Colonel posted:

the spinoffs contain some of the worst games capcom has ever made to balance that out

Outbreaks not included :colbert:

They were tragically before their time and suffered the Capcom fate of having to cut a massive amount of poo poo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

everyone knows the real way to give a speech is to put the entire thing on your slide and you turn around and read it verbatim with your back turned to the audience

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish Capcom sold off Ghost Trick and Ace Attorney to Chunsoft or literally anyone else who gives a drat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finished Detroit. While most of the storyline was pretty dumb, it's probably the most well realized version of that type of branching-story game that's been done yet. Seems like there's a ton of variety to how things could play out, and decisions feel more weighty than parlor magic style of telltale games.

Worth checking out, just don't expect much out of the plot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

PantsBandit posted:

Finished Detroit. While most of the storyline was pretty dumb, it's probably the most well realized version of that type of branching-story game that's been done yet. Seems like there's a ton of variety to how things could play out, and decisions feel more weighty than parlor magic style of telltale games.

Worth checking out, just don't expect much out of the plot.

if you can play detroit you have a ps4 and should just play this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9L7hvye9-M

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

gently caress yes

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

I've played Until Dawn and it's quite good but doesn't even come close to the variety in possible branches that Detroit has.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

"I just lost rock-paper-scissors, now I gotta play a different game". :laffo:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PantsBandit posted:

I've played Until Dawn and it's quite good but doesn't even come close to the variety in possible branches that Detroit has.

Yeah but you could be playing something that's intentionally trashy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i kind of feel gross about the idea of supporting david cage just on principal of how gross i find the guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Presentation went smoothly. My trick was to say stuff like “Copenhagen’s urban planning DID A BARREL ROLL when they devised their bike path layout” and won the crowd over

• Locked thread