Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

OwlFancier posted:

It's bad but I don't think it's fascist.

Ya know, I knew that this was going to happen, that someone was gonna reference the SS but I thought this thread wouldn't go for such an piss easy jab.

lol was I wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I can see why you'd make the comparison because shortbread is quite dire, but I'm just not a fan of saying that everything you dislike is fascist.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bump_fn posted:

the only good biscuit is a thing thats actually called a cookie and its just a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie you god drat island lunatics

I made biscuits with sawmill gravy last weekend and they were awesome tbqh

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have a weird thing with shortbread where it's just too loving buttery and sugary and it makes the whole thing stop being fun somehow. I have the same thing with some types of cheesecake as well.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Spider Monkey posted:

Bojo is a helmet

agreed op

also the best biscuit is those caramel digestives that always weld together into a solid log thus forcing you to gnaw on it like a hamster and eat them all in one go

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I can see why you'd make the comparison because shortbread is quite dire.

no.

Also Jamie Oliver proves himself even more to be history's greatest monster chef. https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jamie-oliver-nicola-sturgeon-scotland-pizza-2-for-1-ban-celebrity-chef-health-diet-a8354221.html

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You don't even have M&S cookies in America mate so why should anyone care what you think

does london have the equivalent of insomnia cookies? in nyc we would put in an order while finishing up drinking, go home and pass out, and at 4 am the door would ring and we'd have fresh baked cookies

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

RabidWeasel posted:

I have a weird thing with shortbread where it's just too loving buttery and sugary and it makes the whole thing stop being fun somehow. I have the same thing with some types of cheesecake as well.

You want these

Lard-based savoury biscuits. Instead of butter it's lard, instead of sugar it's salt. Very airy and amazing with some mate or a cuppa too.

They're also dead simple to make - literally just flour, water, salt, yeast, and lard.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 31, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

My main complaint is that it's generally served in giant loving bricks and it's dry as hell.

Like if I wanted to just eat buttery breadcrumbs I could do that.

And yes I'm sure it's possible to make nice shortbread artisanally and fresh but it's a biscuit, the point of a biscuit is that it should come out of a packet and taste good. Otherwise what you have is not a biscuit but a dessert.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Can't believe we've had biscuit chat so soon after sitcom chat and this wasn't posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHMuSA63eoA

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

American food is all bad.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pound_Coin posted:

These mean you are?

Literally a baby

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Malted milks are great gently caress off

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

winegums posted:

American food is all bad.

Gumbo is amazing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
gently caress me, over 300 posts! Has the Queen died? Has May publically poo poo herself and resigned...oh it's bikes and biscuits. :geno:
Fig rolls, and ginger snaps reign supreme BTW, malt plebs
---

Grayling might have do his usual shtick of standing in front of MPs and defending our awful rail service in the name of his arse-backwards ideology.

And the Home Office apparently has a bigger issue with losing personal information than though previous:

Vital immigration papers lost by UK Home Office posted:

Immigration status of hundreds left in limbo after personal papers go missing

A wave of devastating incidents of vital personal papers being lost in immigration cases has led to renewed calls for the Home Office to overhaul the way it handles documents.

The problem has been so severe that at its peak the department routinely mislaid thousands of files, a former senior immigration official said.

In the wake of the coverage of the Windrush scandal, the Guardian has spoken to people whose immigration status has been left in limbo after documents submitted to the Home Office have vanished.

Despite this the Home Office has never made a voluntarily self-referral to the data protection watchdog over lost papers.

[...]

The Guardian has heard cases ranging from lost birth certificates, children’s passports going missing, education certificates disappearing and appeal bundles misplaced.

Among them are a 36-year-old woman from a post-Soviet territory whose passport was lost by the Home Office, ultimately leaving her destitute for 10 years. One woman has been fighting removal for years, despite meeting requirements to remain in the UK and having lived here for over 21 years. Her application was refused and documents she sent were never returned. The situation has left her suffering significant financial losses.

There have been numerous references to missing files in reports by the borders and immigration inspectorate and MPs have raised the issue in parliament.
[...]
The full article is worth the read.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Chocolate malted milks are the unsung heroes of the biscuit world.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

lmao at a Brit calling American food bad

(I say this as an inhabitant of these benighted isles)

ps jammie dodgers thank u for ur attention all

pps hovis biccies

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1002304271436664832

https://twitter.com/AmandaFBelfast/status/1002317628759793665

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pesky Splinter posted:

gently caress me, over 300 posts! Has the Queen died? Has May publically poo poo herself and resigned...oh it's bikes and biscuits. :geno:
Fig rolls, and ginger snaps reign supreme BTW, malt plebs
---

Grayling might have do his usual shtick of standing in front of MPs and defending our awful rail service in the name of his arse-backwards ideology.

And the Home Office apparently has a bigger issue with losing personal information than though previous:

The full article is worth the read.

Working hard to drive immigration figures down. I doubt it's a coincidence that them and the DWP are the least flexible and most forgetful of government departments.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Do you think trump will sell us any leftover bits of his wall?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

loving hell, that's a plan to ensure that all the cross-border farms are in the buffer zone isn't it? Dear god, the worst kind of will-this-do essay panic, yet again.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I thought they were solving the border issues with computers.

e: I guess technically they made that graphic on a computer, maybe that's what they meant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And then we can license the whole thing out for the Americans to pretend it's the Korean peninsula and make a fortune.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

if this happens then reunification would only be a matter of time

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So Belfast will become the new London for financial services then?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That's impressive. I didn't think it'd be possible to find the least workable solution, but our boy Davis found a way.

It's like he sees the Gordian knot and thinks, "what if...what if there were more knots".

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Looking like that laughing meme guy

Not Operator posted:

I thought they were solving the border issues with computers.

e: I guess technically they made that graphic on a computer, maybe that's what they meant.

No you see

quote:

Mr Davis ordered it after he was persuaded to abandon a technology based solution to keep the Irish border open.

Senior Ulster cops warned him that any border infrastructure, even if it’s just camera towers or swipe points, would be targeted by IRA bombers, and it would also fall foul of the Good Friday peace agreement.

The tracking of goods, which was another part of the original Max Fac solution to keep goods flowing freely over the border, has also been abandoned because of the Northern Irish’s deep rooted concerns about civil liberties.

A senior Whitehall source told The Sun: “Max Fac doesn’t look like anything it used to for Northern Ireland now, because the technology has been stripped out.

“But it doesn’t matter what we call it as long as it works, and we think it will.”

quote:

Brexit Ministry officials took inspiration for the double hatted model from the tiny European state of Liechtenstein, which the EU allows to operate both the Swiss and EEA regimes at the same time.

A set back of the twin regime is it means factories have to run two different production lines.

but what if The City and The City were real! Yes, this could work

also no poo poo, this is in the sidebar

quote:

FLEA IN TERROR
Super-fleas with penises twice as big as their bodies set to invade UK homes

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Didn't May and/or the DUP completely reject different arrangements for NI and rUK already?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Julio Cruz posted:

Didn't May and/or the DUP completely reject different arrangements for NI and rUK already?

may has completely rejected a lot of things

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Gum posted:

may is a complete reject

Fixed that for you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Julio Cruz posted:

Duh! u didnt read the BIG PLAN! NI is in the EU AND the UK!!!!! so it has the same arrangements as ruk! Hello????

were clling it MAXIMUM FACILITATION 2 because everything is facilitated "2 the MAX", every one gets what they want im a genuis

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So the hard border is just moved 5 miles inwards, right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

So the hard border is just moved 5 miles inwards, right.

I can only assume that they saw the phrase "hard border" and thought "OK, what if we made the border ten miles wide and the laws transitioned on a gradient the closer you got to each side of it?"

So for example on the Ireland side you can have an abortion, but one and a bit miles in you can only abort after the first eight months.

Basically if you've ever read Garth Nix, it's like the border with the old kingdom, your euros slowly disintegrate as you head further north, there's a persistent drone of god save the queen, and the sky becomes perpetually drizzly, cryptography stops working and your employment contract hours trend towards zero.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 1, 2018

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Is that 5 miles either side - cause it's worth pointing out that manages to take in the overwhelming majority of an urban area covering 200,000 people

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So

1. 'Being a part of the EU and the UK' is just another way of saying staying in the EU.

2. If there needs to be a border, moving it back 10 miles won't obviate that. It just means giving ten miles of Northern Ireland to the Republic.

Is DD's brief to piss off the DUP in the most ways simultaneously?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
i guess the idea is it would let them redraw the border so it doesn't have like a million crossings

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Good to see we're keeping up with our record of redrawing borders

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I bet people will be just delighted at being told they live in a different country than they used to.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
im not saying its a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

kustomkarkommando posted:

Is that 5 miles either side - cause it's worth pointing out that manages to take in the overwhelming majority of an urban area covering 200,000 people

lol I just checked on google maps and it's about 0.8 miles from the border to the start of Derry's suburbs and, yep, almost all of the city is within five miles of the current border

I love that even if you think this is in principle a workable idea, the actual way to do it is probably hammer out an agreement where Derry and Dundalk are some kind of Special Economic Zones but David "Dipshit" Davis manages to conjure the most idiotic version of the most idiotic idea

• Locked thread