Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish they hadn't killed Spider-Man's daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we change the name of the forum?

Android Blues posted:

This month's Snagglepuss is loving lit.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first three movies were good, but Star Wars is a pretty small, shallow universe. Not a good base for a big extended franchise.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

You're joking right? He's joking right?

No, it's bad. I'll eat my words the day they make a Star Wars movie that doesn't have at least one of the following: a lightsaber, a X-Wing, a Tie Fighter

Which they never will. The original Star Wars movies were good movies, but they were just simple childrens adventure stories about good guys fighting an evil wizard. There's not enough there there to build on. So in order to make a new movie a Star Wars movie, all they can do it use object and images from the originals

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/992470021011132416

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gatts posted:

Hold up hold up...I just had a thought as I was hallucinating on magma level hot sauce...are the colors of the Lantern spectrum the same color as the Infinity gems?

They're both the colors of the rainbow

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should do another Judge Dredd crossover, and have Judge Death become a Black Lantern

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did anybody read that thing where the Justice League was all evil Batmans? how was it?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Metal? It had major fun moments, but blew the landing a bit (imo.) The evil Batmans are actually hardly in it if you don't read their one-shot tie-ins.

Have you read Final Crisis, Multiversity or Snyder's Batman already?

no, none of those

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I'm gonna get massively into the Grimm Fairy Tale comics

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/FluffSociety/status/995317722799108097

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Edit: Speaking of him and Anime/Manga, anyone see that apparently terrible Kite adaptation he was in?

no. Literally no one saw it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Tangent Green Lantern is pretty great, and should've gotten her own live-action TV show

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/floating_world/status/997896017155538945

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Perez the one who gave The Wasp a different costume every issue?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I heard that the Watchmen show was going to be set in modern day, I thought yay, it could actually be good.

When I heard Damen Lindelof was directing it, I though oh no, it definitely will be bad.

Now that I've heard it's going to be a sequel to the original comic, I'm thinking oh god, this is some kinda ending of Se7en thing where's Damen Lindelof is doing the most horrific thing he can think of to try to get himself murdered by Alan Moore.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

That's kind of the opposite of what happened with Lost.

Lost received universal acclaim and was widely considered to be the exemplar and starting point of "the golden age of television"

Of course, as the show continued people realized that none of the mysteries were going to have satisfying answers which retroactively made the whole thing poo poo, but that happened later.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Critical acclaim doesn't actually mean anything. Critics love Hamilton, but hated Lexx.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah weird how when people outside the beltway got to consume a play that’s literally a neoliberal whitewashing of a monster of a human being they didn’t like it.

I'm glad that you brought up how it's morally bad, because not enough people do, but you're leaving out the equally important fact that music is very bad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The musical episode of Lexx is better and has better music than Hamilton. That is a fact.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Maltose posted:

I mean, it’s true Hamilton didn’t own slaves, mostly because he was too busy selling slaves for other people.

It's ironic that having black actors portray the Founding Fathers is such an extreme act of white-washing history

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapnAndy posted:

Dude that's not really a sustainable bar for "not a monster" when applied to wealthy politicians of the eighteenth century.

So the conclusion you can draw is that yeah, most of our Founding Fathers were monsters, or you can lower your own moral standards to the point where you feel comfortable saying that a slave trader wasn't a monster.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you think there's anyone out there whose first exposure to the Ramones wasn't hearing Blitzkrieg Bop in a commercial for a waterpark?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
People say Ultimate Spider-Man is good, but Ultimate Spider-Man isn't very good.

I didn't finish it, maybe it gets really good, but from what I saw it was just a depressing slog that speeds through less interesting versions of Spider-Man stuff. I gave up sometime after Carnage killed Gwen Stacy, because goddamn. Gwen Stacy had to die because Gwen Stacy is dead in real life, so they just kill her and it's gross and then Peter Parker is very sad because being Spider-Man has brought nothing but suffering and misery to himself and everyone around him.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

About Gwen Stacy being dead in USM, she actually comes back in the Clone Saga and stays alive until the Ultimate Universe is destroyed in Ultimate End.

That's even worse

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endless Mike posted:

Gwen Stacy isn't a real person just fyi

I mean the Gwen Stacy from the real Spider-Man comics. The ones that depict actual events,

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, there was that one issue where Spider-Man and Wolverine switched bodies. That was the loving worst. "Hey, I know we've been unrelentingly grim and depressing for awhile, so here's a fun one-off adventure where Wolverine hilariously threatens to sexually assault a high schooler!"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

Why is every website on the internet updating their privacy policy today?

The European Union made some new rules that say the internet can't steal all your information, and those rules go in to effect today I guess

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

Those comics are not based on actual events. Sorry.

then explain this

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Strange Aeon posted:

"I don't want to live my life again" still strikes me as kind of interesting and deep for the chorus of a Ramones song written for a mediocre Stephen King film.

Really? I mean, the story is literally about coming back to life and that being bad. It seems kinda obvious and fitting to me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really happy that everyone hates Elon Musk now, but it's hilarious that the tipping point was when he stole everyone's goth waifu

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I still don't know who Grimes.

She's a popular musician.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

I thought it had more to do with the fact that his response to his company doing bad was to just go crazy and try to fight the media and make a website where you can rate journalists on their credibility.

He's always been a massive fraud, Tesla has never been able to manufacture cars anywhere near the promised volume and has consistently lost money almost every quarter. His family made his fortune from blood diamonds. His insane vacuum subway system has always been regarded as a mind-boggling terrible scheme by anyone who knows anything about public transit or urban planning. All of that has been widely available information. But still people generally thought he was some kinda disruptive genius who was gonna have us all driving electric cars to Mars and make Pickle Rick real.

But then he started dating Grimes and everybody realizes that Musk is terrible.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

If? Come on now. We already know.

I dunno, the original starts off with a spooky ghost story. I bet that could translate well if you had the right artist.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that if comic book creators maintained a degree of control and were guaranteed a cut of derivative works based off their comics, the way manga artists do and are, they'd be better off

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

Where do you think Jonathan Hickman has been putting out books for the past year?

I have no idea

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't know that about Image, that's cool. Snotgirl is one of my favorite American comics. I'm not a big Avengers fan so I don't follow Hickman's stuff.

But I think my point still stands, those practices should be done at the big comic companies too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I gave up on East of West. Everything about it was cool, but it was like a veneer of cool over very little substance. There's tons of neat world-building stuff, but it never built a full world that felt real to me. There were all these badass characters, but I never actually cared about them. It felt more like fluff for an RPG setting than an actual thing

• Locked thread