Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Best op ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Spidergirl AKA May Parker is also known as Mayday. That is my contribution to this thread.

Annie now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Different Spider-girl.

May never existed as far as Marvel is now concerned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

She lived in an alternate future, her existence was always in question.

Well if ya wanna get technical.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Didn't Spidergirl have like a 100 issue run?

Like 130 across two volumes. MC2 was a whole thing for years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't Spider-Girl basically the only decent book from MC2?

"Decent."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
J2 was a bad comic but it wasn't the worst MC2 book I'm looking at you WILD THING.

Spider-Girl was really something in that it was a very long follow up to the Clone Saga, something everyone was supposed to hate with a passion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

Mike Carey and Greg Rucka are also really good prose authors.

I knew of Rucka as a prose author before I knew about his comics. The Atticus Kodiak novels are sooooo good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

I'll finally watch Infinity War and I can’t believe there are over a thousand unread posts in the movie thread, it's been one goddamn week

It's the biggest movie of the year/all time. 10 years, 18 films, this is massive man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

It's lagging Force Awakens though, I dunno if it can take the All Time title.

Counterpoint: Star Wars sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Counter-counterpoint: It is, in fact, you that sucks, and your face is dumb.

EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Oh no! Defeated by my own rightness!

YOU CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT BRINGING NEW INFO TO THE TABLE

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

You smell like rancid farts.

Well I had fondue last night so there's a lot of cheese in there...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

Hold up hold up...I just had a thought as I was hallucinating on magma level hot sauce...are the colors of the Lantern spectrum the same color as the Infinity gems?

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're both the colors of the rainbow

There's 9 Lanterns, 6 gems

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

ROYGBIV is 7 letters, what are the extra 2 colors?

Black and White. Have you not read any Johns GL?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Any good FCBD tales/photos?

They didn't stock the Fantagraphics one at my shop :(

I swung over to my former employer to check it out. To say they dropped the ball on things would be a massive understatement. They underordered popular books and didn't bother to run any of the specials or sales I've always set up which was always the money maker so I can't imagine this one will be a record setter for them. They also set the artist table outside in the wind which frustrated them, all but one of them bailed out by 2pm.

It was really depressing as I worked my rear end off for 10 years to make that event rock, easily best in the city. I left a clear plan I've used every year and they just threw it together.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

Yeah, they got the original writers back and gave them six issues to retell the Clone Saga as they originally intended it. IIRC, it moves at a break neck pace but suffers from having to re-explain what 90s Spider-Man continuity was since it came out in like 2010.

It also veers off from the established events really hard. It was intended to be a quick read for anyone curious and dovetail into continuity but it's still a mess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pizza Dog is the hero we need.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

If Sin City whiskey isn't the bitterest thing ever distilled, they've hosed up.

Frank just pisses in a bottle and they slap a label on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since Comixology is owned by Amazon there's a built in comic reader on Fire tablets yeah?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Can it load cbrs not purchased from Comixology?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is interesting. Apparently comic sales haven't really dropped since the 2000s. Just stagnated.
https://twitter.com/comichron/status/993511337740382208

Market share has moved around quite a lot as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Yeah it can. I have a friend that gives me some stuff every now and then and I load them on there via ecalibre.

Excellent. The 10's go on sale pretty often so the next time it drops to $100 I'm gonna buy one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Been there. I had the same chair for 10+ years. My wife bought me a nice new IKEA chair worthy of Picard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was Gavok's brother.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Facebook just reminded me that today is the anniversary of me almost backing over Hilary Barta. So that's fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless a celeb is actively posting video or doing live events it's likely their assistant is doing the posting for them. Stephen Amell is one of the few celebs that handles all his own social media and I actually believe it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Clearly the dog is running King's social media.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also Mark Waid is destroying the industry all by himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still can't understand how his Archie is so good and yet his Champions was among the worst books Marvel launched out of SW.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Probably a matter of editing?

Eh, Waid is a former editor and tends to be left alone by editorial. He just never found the voices for the individual characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey has anyone ever attended a WALKER/STALKER con? Is it a horror con or just a lovely, unofficial Walking Dead con?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's the anniversary of Darwyn Cooke's death and today we've lost the real Lois Lane, Margot Kidder.

Hope y'all weren't having good days or anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well. poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

And both were supposed to be at Motor City Comic Con the week they died. Darwyn was the day of. I had New Frontier in my bag, on the way to the con when I found out.

I wish I'd gotten more of his works signed. I really need to finish my Cooke collection.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I met him in 2014, and he was the nicest guy, but kind of like what you'd expect -- a man of few words, like an old-timey G-man or a dad from the early '60s.

I was lucky, because I got him to sign my two New Frontier TPBs and that later New Frontier special issue that didn't make it into the TPBs, his Solo issue, his two Spirit TPBs, Batman: Ego and Other Stories (which also included Selina's Big Score), the first Brubaker Catwoman TPB he drew, the X-Force and X-Statix TPBs he drew issues in, and the Before Watchmen: Minutemen miniseries. Aside from the Parker books, which I loved but still don't own copies of, I like to think I got him to sign most of his best works.

I just have a few things. Since he passed I've been making more of a point to get things signed by creators I love.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Woah, I've never had any desire to get anything signed, but does it really work like that? You just show up with a dozen books and he signs them all one by one? And a bunch of people are doing this, each carting a dozen trades in their backpack?

Most creators who are not dicks will gladly sign books for free. Some will ask you to donate to a charity of their choice and some charge per signature because they are dicks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

The one downside to going digital is lack of things to sign.

I know THREE people with Stan Lee's autograph tattooed on themselves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

My favorite signing experience was back in like 2000 or 01 when Bendis was just starting to become a name (USM had probably just started) and he was sharing a booth with David Mack and chatted for a bit. He was very nice and gracious that I was enjoying Powers.

I met Bendis at TFAW in Portland like 3 years into USM, whenever Powers relaunched the first time. I approached hi, told him how much I liked his work and got a handshake. He then bought me a copy of the new Powers and signed it for me. Rea great dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

One time my wife and I were at an event where Bendis was publicized to be doing a signing (on top of other goings on so he wasn't the main reason to be there per se). We were in the back room area looking around at all the artwork and stuff they put up on the walls and my wife was getting pictures. She went up to Bendis, who was the only other person in the area at the time, with her camera and he was getting ready to take a picture and she was like "hey, would you mind moving a little left so I can get this art?" He was a little dejected but happy to oblige. It was only after we left that I told her who it was but it's always been an amusing anecdote.

That's excellent.

I once elbowed Brian Posehn right in the goddamned dick. He wasn't that upset about it either!

• Locked thread