Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

dingo with a joint posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the advice/sanity check. Sad to hear Scum are so weak right now (and particular sad to hear that my beloved Fangs currently suck). I'll give the Rogue pack a more thorough lookthrough just in case.

Sounds like go Empire then though. :) That's fine. Most of my favourite Empire ships (Advanced, Decimator, Defender, Reaper) look to be in a very strong place right now. (Now watch New Zealand turn out to be completely sold out of Yavin, lol.)

Yeah its hard for them at the moment. They really need their double action to throttle range and token up and interacting with objectives doesnt allow them to do that. Also the average list has more ships in it now so getting caught at range 2 by even a mediocre ship can be deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry to ask such a dumb rear end question, but my friend wants me to start getting into X-Wing and I have no idea wtf to actually buy to start. Is it still "safe" to buy the core set and just go from there?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

worms butthole guy posted:

Sorry to ask such a dumb rear end question, but my friend wants me to start getting into X-Wing and I have no idea wtf to actually buy to start. Is it still "safe" to buy the core set and just go from there?

The problem with the x-wing core set at the moment is that the rules included in it aren't the current game rules. That doesn't matter if you're just playing with your friend, or if your friend plays legacy 2.0 rules, but lots (most?, I don't have numbers) of stores and tournaments will use the current 2.5 rules from AMG's site ( https://www.atomicmassgames.com/xwing-documents ). Apart from that the core set isn't bad. All the ships, cards, cardboard, and game pieces are still valid for both legacy 2.0 or 2.5.

If you don't go with the core set you'd have to get things like dice and maneuver templates more piecemeal.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
That's exactly what I was wondering, thank you SOOO much. I don't mind putting in the work to learn the other ruleset and getting the core set just to have the pieces tho. Sweet.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Hang on... By default I'm going to need to track down a copy of Epic Battles as well, aren't I? That's where you get all the physical components for playing 2.5, right?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

dingo with a joint posted:

Hang on... By default I'm going to need to track down a copy of Epic Battles as well, aren't I? That's where you get all the physical components for playing 2.5, right?

The only thing you would use from there are objective tokens, but you can print them out from the scenarios pdf or buy third party acrylic ones for $5+

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Napoleon Nelson posted:

The only thing you would use from there are objective tokens, but you can print them out from the scenarios pdf or buy third party acrylic ones for $5+

Oh that is good news. Third party acrylics sound just the ticket.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Or ask a goon with a 3D printer. I've done plenty for local dudes for the cost of the plastic, which is like $1. I'd print some for cost+shipping for anyone that wants some simple ones.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Hey folks. Worlds is back, and the prizes are pretty rad - https://www.atomicmassgames.com/star-wars-transmissions/x-wing-adepticon-prizes

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Isn't the Ghost not tournament-legal?

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

Isn't the Ghost not tournament-legal?

The Ghost is tournament legal, except for Hera.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

The Ghost is tournament legal, except for Hera.

haha, ok, my bad. Was gonna say it would be weird to have a bunch of cool prize support around a banned ship.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

haha, ok, my bad. Was gonna say it would be weird to have a bunch of cool prize support around a banned ship.

They've done it before- the droid soccer kit comes with alt art for Sense. But I think that was a timing/FFG->AMG thing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's a local event coming up and I've narrowed it down to two lists but I can't decide between them.

First one is they're all I-5 except Wedge at I-6 and classic Wedge is an absolute beast. But I have to drag around a Z-95 or another 3pt ship. Second one is easy to deal with since they're all standardized loadouts and having everything have a 3 dice primary is nice. But lack of S-foils is noticeable as sometimes the best option is closing them to get that boost. Also BoY Wedge is nice since he's 5pts, but the lack of I-6 is noticeable and the conditional on his ability hurts a bit.

===List 1===
Luke Skywalker (6)
Instinctive Aim (2), Proton Torpedoes (12), R3 Astromech (4), Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Wedge Antilles (6)
Predator (2), Proton Torpedoes (12), R3 Astromech (4), Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Wes Janson (5)
Predator (2), Plasma Torpedoes (7), R3 Astromech (4), Electronic Baffle (2), Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Airen Cracken (3)
Expert Handling (2), Plasma Torpedoes (7)

Total: 20
View in YASB 2: https://yasb.app/?f=Rebel%20Allianc...half%20men&obs=

===List 2===
Luke Skywalker (BoY) (6)
Instinctive Aim (0), Attack Speed (BoY) (0), Proton Torpedoes (0), R2-D2 (BoY) (0)

Wedge Antilles (BoY) (5)
Attack Speed (BoY) (0), Marksmanship (0), Proton Torpedoes (0), R2-A3 (BoY) (0)

Jek Porkins (BoY) (4)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (0), R5-D8 (BoY) (0), Unstable Sublight Engines (BoY) (0)

Biggs Darklighter (BoY) (5)
Attack Speed (BoY) (0), Selfless (BoY) (0), Proton Torpedoes (0), R2-F2 (BoY) (0)

View in YASB 2: https://yasb.app/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v9ZhZ20Z555X73W475W136W477Y558X475W125W136W481Y556X134W483W476Y557X475W284W136W479&sn=BoY%204x&obs=

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Floppychop posted:

There's a local event coming up and I've narrowed it down to two lists but I can't decide between them.

First one is they're all I-5 except Wedge at I-6 and classic Wedge is an absolute beast. But I have to drag around a Z-95 or another 3pt ship. Second one is easy to deal with since they're all standardized loadouts and having everything have a 3 dice primary is nice. But lack of S-foils is noticeable as sometimes the best option is closing them to get that boost. Also BoY Wedge is nice since he's 5pts, but the lack of I-6 is noticeable and the conditional on his ability hurts a bit.

===List 1===
Luke Skywalker (6)
Instinctive Aim (2), Proton Torpedoes (12), R3 Astromech (4), Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Wedge Antilles (6)
Predator (2), Proton Torpedoes (12), R3 Astromech (4), Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Wes Janson (5)
Predator (2), Plasma Torpedoes (7), R3 Astromech (4), Electronic Baffle (2), Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Airen Cracken (3)
Expert Handling (2), Plasma Torpedoes (7)

View in YASB 2: https://yasb.app/?f=Rebel%20Allianc...half%20men&obs=

===List 2===
Luke Skywalker (BoY) (6)
Instinctive Aim (0), Attack Speed (BoY) (0), Proton Torpedoes (0), R2-D2 (BoY) (0)

Wedge Antilles (BoY) (5)
Attack Speed (BoY) (0), Marksmanship (0), Proton Torpedoes (0), R2-A3 (BoY) (0)

Jek Porkins (BoY) (4)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (0), R5-D8 (BoY) (0), Unstable Sublight Engines (BoY) (0)

Biggs Darklighter (BoY) (5)
Attack Speed (BoY) (0), Selfless (BoY) (0), Proton Torpedoes (0), R2-F2 (BoY) (0)

View in YASB 2: https://yasb.app/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v9ZhZ20Z555X73W475W136W477Y558X475W125W136W481Y556X134W483W476Y557X475W284W136W479&sn=BoY%204x&obs=

From personally flying a list that was close to your 1 vs one that was close to your 2 the I6 Wedge was really useful to just bully his ships off the board. I've not tried a Wedge/Luke/Wes list yet but I feel like the loss of veteran instincts hurts Wes in this matchup. Wedge shoots first, then you probably want Cracken to set up a double mod on Wes who finally shoots, so you're not getting much value from his ability since there won't be tokens to jam off compared to swapping him for Thane.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Floppychop posted:

Of the two, the first one seems better to me (with the caveat that I don't fly rebels) but the second one seems more fun. Not sure if that helps at all

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I ran the first list with Thane before the Hotshots and Aces pack with Wes dropped. I used Thanes ability so rarely so I figure having the option of jamming would be good utility.

I also always used to run R4s so I could talon roll and K-turn with reckless abandon, but I think R3s are the better option.

As for the 2nd list being fun, I pulled something off last game I used it that I'll likely never do again. Porkins was at 1 hull and got taken out, his unstable engine movement took him just in range of an enemy ship with 1 hull. The VP from the enemy ship was enough to secure the win.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

I'm out of X-Wing entirely but did they change anyting about the original four scenarios of v2.5 in the meantime? Is it balanced the way it is right now (or: are many ships viable righr now?)

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

polynominal-c posted:

I'm out of X-Wing entirely but did they change anyting about the original four scenarios of v2.5 in the meantime? Is it balanced the way it is right now (or: are many ships viable righr now?)

It's still the same four scenarios, but they've adjusted the rules to all of them since they were announced. No objective scoring in round 1 in any scenario. In salvage you can now do advanced maneuvers while towing a crate but can't reposition or cloak. There are only 3 objectives in scramble and there's no more rolling a die to try and claim one.

Overall I think the game is pretty well balanced. There's solid lists in almost every faction. Vader Defender and 7B Anakin are probably the strongest ships in the game, but not to the point that that's all you'll see in a tournament.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I still hate the salvage mission. From a fluff standpoint it's "let me roll down the window on my TIE fighter and grab this", and from a gameplay perspective it pumps the brakes on the gameplay hard. Repositions and whatnot are what make the game fun.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

You can't do the scenario and have repositions, because then it just becomes "run away to win - the game" which was the worst part of 2.0. And I like it specifically because it's so different from the other scenarios and rewards different list-building and play. Without salvage the meta would be way more restricted.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The scenarios all encourage running away, I’ve done far more of it in 2.5 than I did in 1st and 2nd edition combined. They lead to lots of zombie games too where it’s over 3 turns before someone actually hits 20 points.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Napoleon Nelson posted:

You can't do the scenario and have repositions, because then it just becomes "run away to win - the game" which was the worst part of 2.0. And I like it specifically because it's so different from the other scenarios and rewards different list-building and play. Without salvage the meta would be way more restricted.

Note: I'm saying this as someone that primarily flies Rebel and Scum, and when I do it's chonky boys like Xwing and Ywings. So I'm not even the one repositioning.

Though there is an overly smug FO/Imperial player locally that I enjoy watching get dumpstered when he can't reposition.

And like ro5s said, running away is already a thing. Most of the time with salvage they grab the one on their side with a TIE or similar and just sit in the corner doing 1-hards until someone gets close then just 5-straight away.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I see what you guys are saying, and maybe it's just a vibe thing for me, but in 2.5 I've had a lot fewer games made unsatisfying by running away or double repositioning to avoid shots at all. It might be that additional layer of the objectives, but games that in 2.0 would've had me futilely chasing aces after they get half points on one of my ships feel more, I don't know, vibrant and engaging in 2.5.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I see what you guys are saying, and maybe it's just a vibe thing for me, but in 2.5 I've had a lot fewer games made unsatisfying by running away or double repositioning to avoid shots at all. It might be that additional layer of the objectives, but games that in 2.0 would've had me futilely chasing aces after they get half points on one of my ships feel more, I don't know, vibrant and engaging in 2.5.

I agree. In the example provided where they use TIE to just circle in a corner after claiming one objective...I mean, just grab the others and win that way? Or joust what's left of their list and score points through superior numbers with your 20 points vs their 17? Or a bit of both?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Obviously the entire strategy wasn't just have one TIE play keep away, turns out there are more ships in a list and a ship can only have one crate. And with many TIEs only being 2pts it's not even delegating a large portion of your list.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I really wish they'd let each player veto a mission then you and your opponent roll or w/e to decide which leftover one you play. I can't stand that everyone at every table in a tournament has to play the same mission at the same time kindergarten bullshit. It makes the meta incredibly boring having to make sure every list can do all 4 of them.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

These got leaked yesterday, but announced officially today: rebel and imperial squadron starter packs. 4 ships, standard cards, SL cards, upgrade cards, dice, templates, rulers, rocks, and a rulebook that actually reflects the current rules. Release date scheduled May 26.
https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1638587652424310790?s=20

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1638586809864028160?s=20

edit: and at $75 for the pack, that's a free ship at current prices

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Digging those damage decks.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Some Adepticon news.

Battle over Endor scenario pack

Children of Mandalor organized play kit.

Store champs are back (with worlds invites)

New Dash Rendar card (primary weapon got gutted to 3 dice) but still keeps his dumb -1 die at R1 thing. RIP Dash

Ewoks for Legion

Deadmeat
Jul 18, 2006
The way it reads, Dash now gets the normal R1 bonus so breaks even at 3 dice. It’s just R0 where he only gets 2 dice.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rolling one less dice at R2 and R3 is not "breaking even".

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

The Outrider title gives an extra die at r3, so instead of 3/4/4 (r1-r3) it's 3/3/4. Not breaking even, but not necessarily killer either. Plus this way maybe he won't be costed through the roof like he was in 2.0 and is now.

SL card:

Napoleon Nelson fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 27, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Man between his new ability and his specific ept Dash is a real rear end in a top hat.

Glad it's Canon compliant.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think I'd rather have my extra die at r1 so I'm not fighting through a r3 bonus green or the increased likelihood of being obstructed. Maybe the individual card is salvageable but the Standard Loadout version looks pretty mediocre at best.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Losing a red dice at R2 and losing a green dice at R1 is a pretty big hit. Also the Outrider ability now just flips an evade to a focus, instead of flat out denying a dice.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Are the IG88 Aggressors still playable under the new ruleset?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Some Numbers posted:

Are the IG88 Aggressors still playable under the new ruleset?

Yes, they’re not in standard but they’re in extended

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

And you can still fit 3 of them in a list! (as long as one of them is IG-88D)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpellingError
May 7, 2014
It's been years since I played and I still have a modest collection of models from the first edition. If I wanted to get back into X-Wing with the second edition and bought the Core Set and the Battle of Yavin Expansion, would I be able to use my old first-edition-models with the cards and templates that come in the BoY-Expansion? Or would I have to get the conversion sets for Rebels and Empire? I never played competitively, just casually with friends and family and am planning to keep it that way.

Sorry, this question has probably already been answered, but at more than 200 pages I just can't find the time to skip through the whole thread...