Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I, grassy gnoll, oath these seven Nomad drones from Infinity, 28mm by Corvus Belli, for May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath these seven Nomad drones from Infinity, 28mm by Corvus Belli, for May

Oath Complete

I'd like to claim the jurnal for this month, since I got so many freakin' stripes, but I also outright forgot the pattern requirement. If these don't count, oh well, that's on my head.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Judgement Time

Third place, for one point: Booyah

I really like the metals on these, and I'm a fan of the parrot look for the bird.

Second place, for two points: TheFinalTuba

A nice plaid on the tartan, lovely purple on the KB and the Grenzer, and very subtle camo patterning on the Grenzer's pants.

First place, for three points: KingMob

This would be worth three points for doing all those goddamn edge highlights and not smashing the model, even if it weren't also well-painted.

My bonus point for this month's challenge goes to Nighttheii.

Definitely the most ambitious attempt at freehand lining for May. The overlapping lines also suggest you know how tartan patterns are supposed to mesh, which I appreciate.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I, grassy gnoll, oath these four Alguaciles from Corvus Belli, 28mm

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath these four Alguaciles from Corvus Belli, 28mm

Oath Complete

No jurnal this month.

Incidentally, if anyone has any suggestions for an Android camera app that lets you control depth of field manually, I'm all ears.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I, grassy gnoll, oath this Anitpode pack, one Tankhunter, and two Spetznaz, from Infinity by Corvus Belli in28mm, for the month of July

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath this Anitpode pack, one Tankhunter, and two Spetznaz, from Infinity by Corvus Belli in28mm, for the month of July

Oath Complete

Claiming jurnal for the rich and luscious foliage and mud. Can you spot the moment where the cloud cover changed while I was taking my photos?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Judgmental June

Third place, 1 point: Duct Tape

Good solid reds, nice detailing, and you really got your glowy bits to pop - they look almost fluorescent. I'd like to see this model with some weathering effects and maybe an oil wash to make it maximally Warhammy.

Second place, 2 points: Nighttheii

I love me some monsters, and these are a wide variety of colors and textures to render out. The frog dude is especially nice.

First place, 3 points: Red Shoe

I think these are all excellent paint jobs, but what really sold me was the middle Yuan Yuan. The jet of flame and the keg are just wonderfully done. The purple worm and the carrion crawler are also appropriately disgusting as well as all about exposed (monstrous) skin for the jurnal challenge.

Bonus point: Mikey Purp

This is going to start rough, but it gets better, I promise.

I'm not a big fan of the stone texturing on this paint job. I think maybe your wash was a little too harsh on the flatter surfaces, although it works well for the crevasses. All that said, this isn't just a nice OSL job; what I love about this is the attention you paid to your light sourcing. You've got a model with some pretty complex geometry, but you've done a superlative job making sure that two (!) separate light sources are accurately casting highlights across the piece. The shoulders and the knuckles of the mini's right hand are particular favorites. Theme-wise, I feel like this is the strongest piece of the month.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I, grassy gnoll, oath these three Mavericks and two Desperados by Corvus Belli, 28mm

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Judgmental July

Third place, 1 point: Red Shoe

I liked all your submissions this month, but this one in particular stood out. You've got a good variety of textures going on this model, and a really cohesive color scheme. Everything looks of a piece, while still very readable.

Second place, 2 points: Corrode

Apart from enjoying the Third Street Necrons on a basic level, you've also got some defined shading on these guys, which is way more effort than I find myself ever capable of expending on primarily-metallic things, and that'll earn points.

First place, 3 points: Duct Tape

And similar to the above, but with added verdigris effects, a lovely rich red primary, and a very smooth accent color in a shade where that's hard to pull off.

Bonus point: Zark the Damned

Both solid paint jobs, and I enjoyed pointing and laughing at the little broom guy next to an enormous treant.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath these three Mavericks and two Desperados by Corvus Belli, 28mm

Oath Complete

Claiming jurnal for the dismount's binoculars.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I, grassy gnoll, oath this Deva and Devabot, two Reverend Healers, and a Daktari conversion, by Corvus Belli, 28mm

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath this Deva and Devabot, two Reverend Healers, and a Daktari conversion, by Corvus Belli, 28mm

Oath Addition

These eight Moderators, also Corvus Belli, 28mm.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Arbitrary August Judgements

Third place, Galaspar:

I've been painting white this month, and it's really made me appreciate how awful it is, even with an airbrush. The sickly white-green with mottling you've got going on here is lovely, and pleasantly offset by the brass. The only reason this isn't higher is that I feel like you could go full Baroque with this model and paint job - verdigris and rust effects, overworked detailing on the metals, leaky pustules, nastier and grittier washes, that kind of thing. Right now you're at the top, with an excellent model, but I would love to have seen this over the top.

Second place, The Moon Monster

Excellent flesh and purples, especially on the windchime dealies. The yellows and golds are distinct from each other and compliment the purples nicely, and you've got depth on the yellows without them turning orange or red. It's excellent color and blending work. My only nitpick is that the fish are a little indistinct from each other, but I feel like that's largely down to personal preference, rather than a technical foible.

First place, King Mob

This has just got everything in it. You've got armor and fabric metals and skin and hair and fire and weird energy swirls, solid contrasts between each figure, and an overall high quality on each piece, even with the slightly mushy Aristeia plastics. Mendoza's cloak and tabbard in particular are really doing it for me. I would have liked to see a little more definition on the whites on Kozmo and Murtair, but as mentioned above, white is the hell-color. Bonus points for Kozmo's face, which I can only assume is a great big middle finger to anyone trying to paint these things.

Bonus Point: TheFinalTuba

Crisp colors all around, sharp detailing, and jurnalistically-appropriate color composition for the month lands the August bonus.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

grassy gnoll posted:

Oath Addition

These eight Moderators, also Corvus Belli, 28mm.

Oath Complete

Claiming my jurnal conversion.

Here's what the Dak originally looks like:

Y'know, basically the worst stereotypes about Infinity models. Anyway, I fixed her tail and cut off her head so she's more inquisitive, instead of a battlefield surgeon doing the "tee hee, did I do that?" thing. Speaking of, jeweler's saw? Absolutely a must have for anybody. Screw x-acto knives and files and that. I hacked through about a quarter inch of pewter in a little under a minute and cut incredibly clean.

The blood splatter looks better in person, I swear. Do a little brown, then some red ink in a spreading pool, plus a little gloss varnish at the end. Works every time.

Details:

yeaaah big fat mold linesss

Literally Dave Bautista to go with my Literally The Rock from last November.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Thankee kindly. I also have points to distribute!

Third place, Galspar

I'm really enjoying how painterly your Nurgle guys have been. They're very cleanly gross.

Second place, Duct Tape

I love, love, love these color gradations. Dig that red.

First place, Red Shoe.

I'm pretty consistently going to award the most points for execution of things I hate doing. Pale skin, detailing and a large model all trip meet that condition.

Bonus point: Ilor

Heavy magnetization work makes these the most convertible models this month, and that's worth the theme prize.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I, grassy gnoll, oath this thing for the month of October.

It will eventually be a robot, if it all fits back together. If not, it'll be scenery pieces.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath this thing for the month of October.

It will eventually be a robot, if it all fits back together. If not, it'll be scenery pieces.

A hair over 24 hours, unfortunately. Found some time between trick-or-treaters.

Comparison with the unpainted version.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

^^ Cavalry friends

I, grassy gnoll, oath these five Aragoto and one Daiyokai from Corvus Belli, 28mm scale

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

October Judgement

Third place, for one point: King Mob

Along with my fellow judge, I really dug how you got the four-color aesthetic of Aristeia. There's a solid Saturday morning cartoon vibe, which is exactly what the game needs.

Second place, for two points: Ilor

The color fade on your hacker is very in keeping with the month's theme, and there's a ton of fiddly poo poo to paint on Druze, so I really appreciate the clean detailing here. The only thing holding them back from first place is the relative lack of color depth; I would have liked to see the helmets and armor plating get some stronger contrasts.

First place, for three points: Lazy Angel

These are my favorite models for this month's theme. You've got lovely color gradations all over these specters, with attention paid to the light sourcing, along with good depth and interesting texturing on the fabrics and metals.

Bonus Point: NTRabbit

This is the most visually-arresting color gradation to my eye, and that's certainly worth the theme bonus.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Oath Complete-ish

These are done enough, but not done all the way through. The holiday was worse than I anticipated.

I attempted the battle damage jurnal on the big fellow, snipping off his horns and giving him some penciled bullet pocks. I leave it up to Zark to decide if it counts, and no hard feelings if it doesn't.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I, grassy gnoll, oath Zoe and Pi-well, Zoe and Pi-well, and an Intruder, by Corvus Belli (28mm)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

November Judgements

Third place goes to Lazy Angel

And I'm limited to putting these as third, which is a shame. These have to be in the top 3 for that extremely fine blue alone, but the metallics are excellent, and that axe is breathtakingly disgusting.

Second place goes to Nightheii

I like these gals and guys in general. I think they'd really benefit from pushing your highlights just a little more, so they really pop. I don't know if that snow basing came out of a bottle or if it's homegrown, but it's got a great fresh, wet snow look.

And in first, Duct Tape

Somebody put truck nutz on your Genestealer, dude. Great depth and texture on an overall very cohesive package pushes these goobers to first. I'm glad I don't have to paint a horde army to this standard.

This month's theme point, for battle damage, goes to Zark himself, for these Khorny boys and their leaky bits.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath Zoe and Pi-well, Zoe and Pi-well, and an Intruder, by Corvus Belli (28mm)

Oath complete

Claiming the jurnal challenge for two versions of the same model.

Just a little difference in sculpt quality on the Zoes there.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I, grassy gnoll, oath one Meng cartoon tank

Aaaand finished. Claiming Need 4 speed, and recipe for success. I was gonna do the monthly jurnal, but apparently forgot to take my third WIP picture. D'oh.

Here's how it went.

After airbrushing on middle-grey primer, go back with a fine airbrush and do some pre-shading with black primer. Really go crazy with this stuff if you're painting a dark shade like GI green, as I did, because all that pre-shading work will vanish very quickly without the contrast.

Basecoat in your darker shade. I did about one part thinner, one part flow improver, and five parts paint for each coat.

Once you've got your basecoat, go in from the top and start with your lighter shades. You want a zenithial thing to give it some highlights. Once you've got your shading and detailing to your satisfaction - I did some edge highlighting and picked out spots in metallics, gloss varnish the whole thing.

Gloss varnish will give you the right surface you need for both decaling and ink washing. I do my own ink solutions, at about 1:5:6 ink to water to flow improver. That stuff pops right into crannies and makes stuff pop. Black ink will give you a nice cartoony contrast, while dark brown or purple can work for a little subtler shades, depending on what you're doing. Gloss varnishing first helps your shade solution flow into place, and you want your decal surface as smooth as possible.

Mirosol and Microset are actually just as good as they're hyped up to be. Once you've got your gloss down, slather a goodly amount of Microset on the spot you're going to place your decal. Slide in into place, then let the solution dry. This'll go surprisingly quickly, even if you douse it. Once it dries, apply the Microsol to soften the decal and let it sink into cracks and onto contours. If your decal has wrinkled, you can try and slather more Microsol on it and work out any kinks, air bubbles etc with your brush. If it's super wrinkled, slash at them with your hobby knife to break the surface, then go over it with Microsol again. Basically, melt the decal until it's in place how you like it. It's really astonishing how well you can smush a decal with this junk.

If you're like me and can't remember which solution is which by name, they're labeled number one and two on the relevant bottles. Set goes on first, sol goes on last.

Last comes weathering. I was hoping I could get away with some plain muddy washes, but it just wasn't enough to show up on a dark model again. Next one I'm going to buy some actual pigments and splash those around.

Finally, once everything's fully dry, give everything a matte varnish. This'll protect your painting and weathering, and take things back down from the shine you inevitably got on the gloss step. You can give it a few coats by your choice, but mind anything that's either intended to be shiny or is built out of transparent plastic, which will fog immediately. Between the extra layer of varnish and the microsol, this'll make the edge of your decals disappear. It's extremely choice.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

December Judgements

Third place, Duct Tape

Second place, Conan the Librarian

These guys are crisp, more than anything else. These are two colors I've struggled to paint consistently, with nice clean lines and sharp jewel effects.

First place, Ilor

An excellent paint job, including disgusting stains, and thematically appropriate for the month wins first place.

Bonus point, King Mob

Gata's alt-sculpt is about as thematically appropriate for December as it gets.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

January Judgement

Third place for one point, Zark the Damned

I'm not going to pretend I'm not at least a little partial to the old Last Chancers models, and this is a lovely treatment of them. Everyone looks at least a little unique, while still unified by their equipment and convict pants.

Second place for two points, Lazy Angel

A different and interesting take on ALEPH units. The Asura is a particular favorite. I think I would have liked to see a little more meticulous detail work on the other models, since they're all gribbly enough to merit that kind of attention.

First place for three points, Ugleb

That Batman's a crowd pleaser, what can I say? It's also quite well done, on top of completing quite a lot of other pieces all during the same month. In particular, I really liked how much you pushed the shading on the back of the cape.

Bonus point: Duct Tape

Mmm, stripey.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

February Judgements

Third place for one point, Ilor

Alright, this is elaborately textured, and a lot of work went into this model. You've got muddy effects, you've got highlighting, you've got overall grit, you've some some really detailed, depth-y freehanding. To be blunt, I think you went overboard. I'm not totally sure if I'm looking at a camo pattern or weathering. You've clearly got the skill, but I would like this model more if you dialed it back just a few notches. Still, I wanted to recognize what's good and proper about this paint work.

Second place for two points, Duct Tape

Excellent texturing of a variety of sorts on the weapons, a different metal texture and color for the armor, and the lovely bone detailing. Plus fierce guyliner, as befits a barbarian. My one complaint is that I would have liked to see a little more shading depth on the skin - either a little deeper shadowing, or a little harsher highlighting, just to make the skin pop as much as the rest of him.

First place, for three points, The Moon Monster

Hell yeah, look at this guy. Painterly, vivid, excellent light sourcing and effects, rad color palette. Sometimes I have to struggle with my top pick of the month; this was not one of those times. Ridiculous in all the best ways, and I think one of my favorites from this entire year so far.

Bonus point: DMNZ

I love a good old school fantasy/historical set, and these guys are excellent examples, with all the adequate fancy hats and bold colors. Five stars, would happily push around a huge block of these guys.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

March Judgements!

Third place, 1 point - Ilor

Mmm, tiny historicals.

Second place, 2 points - Gamera Man

I really enjoy how textural these doodads all are. You've got nice faux-stone, some lumpy metal, bubbly goo, and scratchy wood. I'm not totally sold on the scrying pool - I think a little bit of bubbly detail around the edges, or some cotton smoke coming off it, plus a little tint in the pool itself would have given it just a little more depth.

First place, 3 points - Zark the Damned

Your scenery has some nice stone texture, but I'm guessing you freehanded the entire dice tower, and it's charming as hell. Bonus points for the big ork skull eyes moving. This is a delightful project and my favorite out of the entire month.

Bonus point - KingMob

I try and do my bonus picks around the monthly theme, but I picked out my favorite wet things in the main judging. This is an excellent piece, but it's not wet enough. The whole tank is very technically proficient - a lovely consistent, gorgeous metals, and meticulous but not overblown highlighting. But it's a Nurgle tank and it's kinda clean and sterile. I'd like to see another version with some serious mud on the tracks, verdigris on the bronze, and a lot of seepy, messy oil washing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

As the judge bowing out, I want to hype the job up a bit.

It takes about ten minutes of your time once a month, and the most onerous task you'll have is deciding between two really great pieces for the top spot. It is exceptionally cool to go over all the awesome models painted each month and really dig deep into the skill displayed in producing each one.

I'm specifically ducking out because I haven't touched a mini in months, and I feel kinda weird having even a minuscule amount of authority over picking winners for something I don't have a horse in anymore.

If you have ever entertained even the slightest notion of volunteering as a judge, it's well worth your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

April Judgement:

Third place, Zark the Damned

I'd actually like to have scored this higher, but alas, I spent first place on Zark last month. Once again, this is some excellent elaborate freehand work.

Second place, Ugleb

I really liked the OSL on these guys.

First place, Duct Tape

I really like the texture on the Marines here, although I couldn't tell you if it's meant to be metal or stone. But otherwise, these are up to your extremely high standard of quality.

Bonus Point: Ilor

Extremely sneaky tank deserves the theme point this month.

Good luck to everyone next season!