Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
drat. This looks fun, and I would absolutely be up for oathing the next 10 Skitarii I'm working on, as I just primed them over the weekend. However, not knowing that this thread was a thing, last night I applied a base coat to the inside of their cloaks :(

Once I burn through those guys, I'll see if there's enough time to oath a Tech-Priest before the month ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath to paint, base, and fully magnetize a Tech-Priest Dominus. Primed with Lead Belcher spray earlier today.

Only oathing a single guy because I'm still wrapping up the 10 Skitarii I mentioned earlier in the thread. Additionally, I tend to take an absurd amount of time painting guys and obsess over every small detail.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath to paint, base, and fully magnetize a Tech-Priest Dominus. Primed with Lead Belcher spray earlier today.

Only oathing a single guy because I'm still wrapping up the 10 Skitarii I mentioned earlier in the thread. Additionally, I tend to take an absurd amount of time painting guys and obsess over every small detail.

Oath Complete! Painted, based, and fully magnetized one Tech-Priest Dominus.

Claiming A Recipte for Success:
Model
Primer
Leadbelcher Spray
Cloak
Base: Mephiston Red
Wash: Nuln Oil
Drybrush: Evil Sun Scarlet, Wild Rider Red
Highlight: Fire Dragon Bright
Cloak Trim
Base: Rakarth Flesh
Layer: Ushabti Bone
Silver Metal
Base: Leadbelcher (spray)
Gold Metal
Base: Retributor Gold
Pipes and Cables
Base: Abadon Black
Drybrush: Terminatus Stone
Skulls
Base: Zandri Dust
Wash: Agrax Earthshade
Layer: Ushabti Bone
Highlight: Screaming Skull
Blue Effects (plasma, lenses, etc.)
Base: Calidor Sky
Highlight: Baharoth Blue
Green Effect (liquid)
Base: Abadon Black (should have used Caliban Green, but it still worked)
Layer: Warpstone Glow
Highlight: Moot Green
Bubbles: White Scar (with a thin layer of warpstone glow over it)

Base
Base: Korne Red
Texture: Martian Ironearth
Drybrush: Ryza Rust, Eldar Flesh
Side
Dunebull Brown
Rocks
Slate chips from Amazon
Wash: Heavily watered down Skrag brown
Drybrush: Ryza Rust, Eldar Flesh

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath to paint, base, and fully magnetize an Oneger Dunecrawler.

The first time I painted one of these there was a lot of trial and error (including messing up the assembly itself), so this second one should go faster. If things progress quickly enough, I'll double up and oath some more minis on my backburner.

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 4, 2018

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath to paint, base, and fully magnetize an Oneger Dunecrawler.

The first time I painted one of these there was a lot of trial and error (including messing up the assembly itself), so this second one should go faster. If things progress quickly enough, I'll double up and oath some more minis on my backburner.

Oath complete!

Pretty happy with how this guy turned out, and he's also the last Dunecrawler I'll need to paint for a while (i.e. I don't own any more unfinished ones). Next up on the queue is one of the other dozen 40k admech minis I have, but I haven't figure out which yet. They're all fairly large, so I might just spend the next week assembling.
edit: Adding name tags to photos. Originals here: https://imgur.com/uY6aru7.jpg https://imgur.com/3teN9qN.jpg https://imgur.com/0qBADOJ.jpg https://imgur.com/fk0dqzB.jpg

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 1, 2018

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath to paint, magnetize, and base two GW Sydonian Dragoons and all their weapon options.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Complete! I even remembered to waterstamp my username in the photos this time!

And since my oath specifically called out magnetizing all their head and weapon options.

I'm not sure if you can claim manual achievements multiple times, but if you can I'm claiming A Recipe for Success with this little mini-guide I made. If not, then enjoy it anyway :)

edit:

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Third Place, 1 point: Duct Tape

An excellent example of red done well (which can be tough). The overall look is slightly dull as fits Martian camouflage, but highlighted with hints of a more fiery red, set off nicely by the bright turquoise plasma glow.

Electric Hobo posted:

Third place, 1 point: Duct Tape

A pretty standard color scheme, but well executed and nicely detailed. Everything looks 3 dimensional and the edge highlight are good.

grassy gnoll posted:

Third place, 1 point: Duct Tape

Good solid reds, nice detailing, and you really got your glowy bits to pop - they look almost fluorescent. I'd like to see this model with some weathering effects and maybe an oil wash to make it maximally Warhammy.
Thanks judges :) I'm still trying different ways of weathering models. When I get to my Kastelan Robots I'll have to dive into that, as I really like the grungy Kastelan look.

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 29, 2018

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath to paint Belisarius Cawl and six pieces of Sector Imperialis Ruins terrain in August.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Complete! Belisarius Cawl and six pieces of ruins terrain from Games Workshop's Sector Imperials line.

My oath was for both the model and the pictured terrain, so the picture might be a bit crowded. To help, here's one of Belisarius Cawl by himself, and one of a higher-up view of the terrain.

Claiming A Faithful Replica for matching the official paint scheme on Belisarius Cawl: https://imgur.com/yqqsg5C. Games Workshop's photo uses a warmer light source than mine, so the colors look a little off, but I assure you they do in fact match.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath to paint two Kastelan Robots with awesome custom heads and pauldrons.

Depending on how fast this goes, I have a bunch of other things I want to get done this month, so I might add on two additional Kastelans or some terrain/game accessories.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath to paint two Kastelan Robots with awesome custom heads and pauldrons.

Depending on how fast this goes, I have a bunch of other things I want to get done this month, so I might add on two additional Kastelans or some terrain/game accessories.

Oath Complete!
Two Kastelan Robots with custom heads and pauldrons, and all their weapons are magnetized.

Claiming Obligatory Conversion Clinic Month for the magnetization, as well as using custom heads and pauldrons on these two. I love how the custom bits turned out, as I really don't like the default sculpt of the Kastelan Robots. For reference: https://imgur.com/fwQwXgN

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition: One Cybernetica Data-Smith from Games Workshop. I snapped this picture this morning and am trying to completely finish him today. So far it's going well, but I got a lot to do if I want to hit that sweet 24-hour model achievement!

Additional Oath Complete and claiming Need 4 Speed, clocking in at about 8 and a half hours from beginning to end. Wanted to push myself to paint a mini entirely in a single day, and I'm really happy with how this guy turned out!

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 24, 2018

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Addition: One Cybernetica Data-Smith from Games Workshop. I snapped this picture this morning and am trying to completely finish him today. So far it's going well, but I got a lot to do if I want to hit that sweet 24-hour model achievement!

Duct Tape posted:

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

Oath addition complete in 8 and a half hours! See original oath completion post for photos.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath one Hormagaunt Brood (12 Hormagaunts) along with stone terrain bases for October:

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath one Hormagaunt Brood (12 Hormagaunts) along with stone terrain bases for October:

Oath Complete!

Maybe claiming Choose your Poison - Technique (Cocktail Mixers). I have some gradients on these guys, orange to black on their claws being the largest, but it's done with drybrushing and wasn't really a "blend". If ya'll think it counts, then I claim it. If not, then that's fine too :)

edit: Forgot about this one. Claiming Take one for the team as 12 matching Hormagaunts definitely fits the criteria.

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition! Got a hodgepodge of models from a recaster, so I'm adding to my oath this month: 1 Secutarii Peltast, 6 Skitarii Vanguard, 1 Genestealer, and 1 Lictor.

Oath Addition Complete!
Genestealer (left) and Lictor (right)

All my minis for the month together, 21 in total. Skitarii Vanguard out front, with the Secutarii Peltast in the middle.

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 27, 2018

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

grassy gnoll posted:

I love, love, love these color gradations. Dig that red.

Electric Hobo posted:

I love the weathering, especially the oxidized brass.

Thanks judges! I already cranked out two more in the exact same style. Only two more to go, and I'll have a full six-man Kastalen unit!

Also,

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition! Got a hodgepodge of models from a recaster, so I'm adding to my oath this month: 1 Secutarii Peltast, 6 Skitarii Vanguard, 1 Genestealer, and 1 Lictor.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

Oath addition complete! See original oath completion post for photos.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath 7 Genestealers from Games Workshop for November.

This will finish off the box I started last month. These guys are pretty quick to paint, so I'll likely add some Lictors or more Skitarii about halfway through the month.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

This will finish off the box I started last month. These guys are pretty quick to paint, so I'll likely add some Lictors or more Skitarii about halfway through the month.

Oath Complete!

I also primed up some Tyranid Warriors for an oath addition. Once they're dry, I'll snap a picture and add them to my oath for this month.

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition! Adding on 3 Tyranid Warriors from Games Workshop. All their arms and weapons are magnetized, which is why there are 17 separate bits for only three models.

Oath Addition Complete!
I absolutely love how the graininess of the carapace on these bigger guys turned out.

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 22, 2018

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

Oath Addition! Adding on 3 Tyranid Warriors from Games Workshop. All their arms and weapons are magnetized, which is why there are 17 separate bits for only three models.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

Oath addition complete! See original oath completion post for photos.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath an Armiger Helverin from Games Workshop for December.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath an Armiger Helverin from Games Workshop for December.

Oath Complete!

Claiming The Daily Double for: May - Straight Edge as the hazard stripes are pretty dang straight; and August - Netflix and Chill, Composition (Big Brother) for the array of three sensors on the Armiger's face (the largest lens is the size of a person's entire head!).

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

grassy gnoll posted:

November Judgements
And in first, Duct Tape
Somebody put truck nutz on your Genestealer, dude. Great depth and texture on an overall very cohesive package pushes these goobers to first. I'm glad I don't have to paint a horde army to this standard.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

First Place, 3 points: Duct Tape
The genestealers (and the warriors in the other pics) are terrifying. The muted color scheme, eye-popping reds (blood of their victims, I assume?) and sharp contrasts make these seem like ancient subterranean horrors come to life. Or John Blanche art (but I repeat myself).

Electric Hobo posted:

Second place, 2 points: Duct Tape
This is a great colorscheme, and you've pulled it off very consistently on all the models. Both the color contrast and the light contrast are great.

Thanks judges! I had a blast painting those Tyranids, and I'm glad the style I was attempting worked as well as it did. As fancy as they look, they're ridiculously easy to paint. More time went into assembling, priming, and basing than painting!

For more bug fun, I have a box of Termagants showing up next week, so my January oath might include more bugbois.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for December an Armiger Helverin, 5 Sicarian Infiltrators, and 8 supply crates.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for December an Armiger Helverin, 5 Sicarian Infiltrators, and 8 supply crates.

Oath Complete! And just in the nick of time. I lost the first week to MAGFest, and the second week to setting up and learning how to use my new airbrush. So these feel rushed to me, but I still like how they turned out.

Claiming Every Step you Take, and here's an album of 22 in-progress shots. But I'll include a short little journey of me trying out my airbrush here.
I got some great red and black lines on the Armiger.

Then thought it might be interesting to do alternating yellow and black bands...

nope nope nope nope nope

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for February one Darkoath Chieftain and one Tech-Priest Enginseer. Both by Games Workshop, both 32mm bases.

Forgot to post this yesterday. Hopefully I can add on some additional stuff, but we'll see if time permits me to. Stupid February busy-ness.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Thanks judges :)

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for February one Darkoath Chieftain and one Tech-Priest Enginseer. Both by Games Workshop, both 32mm bases.

Forgot to post this yesterday. Hopefully I can add on some additional stuff, but we'll see if time permits me to. Stupid February busy-ness.

Oath Complete! The Darkoath Chieftain turned out better than I could have hoped, and it was a lot of fun to try out a style of model that I've never painted before. Also, Games Workshop reached out to me on Instagram and asked if they could use the top picture for their galleries. So hopefully it'll show up here soon https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/darkoath-chieftain. Having a picture of my model on GW's site is the ultimate nerd validation.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Ugleb posted:

Judges, I think I'm blushing! Thanks guys, I think that sets a new bar for me!
You deserve it, as you absolutely crushed January. The cloak on The God drat Batman is just :discourse:

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for March an Imperial Knight Gallant. It's from Games Workshop, and will be on a 170mm oval base.

Largest mini I've ever painted. Almost feels wrong to call it a mini when it'll be over half a foot tall.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for March an Imperial Knight Gallant. It's from Games Workshop, and will be on a 170mm oval base.

Largest mini I've ever painted. Almost feels wrong to call it a mini when it'll be over half a foot tall.

Oath Complete! This guy was ridiculous to assemble and paint. Over 7" tall, sixteen points of articulation, swappable carapace weapons, arms, shield, shoulder weapon, faceplate, and head.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for April the following: 2 Secutarii Peltasts (25mm, Forge World), 3 Skitarii Rangers/Vanguards (25mm, Games Workshop), 2 Primaris Intercessors (32mm, Games Workshop), and 3 Primaris Reivers (32mm, Games Workshop).
I need a break from painting giant models, so I'm going to wrap up this season up with a bunch of little guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for April the following: 2 Secutarii Peltasts (25mm, Forge World), 3 Skitarii Rangers/Vanguards (25mm, Games Workshop), 2 Primaris Intercessors (32mm, Games Workshop), and 3 Primaris Reivers (32mm, Games Workshop).
I need a break from painting giant models, so I'm going to wrap up this season up with a bunch of little guys!

Oath Complete!

With this season coming to an end, I finally get to claim All Together Now with this madness!

Oathed and completed are: an Imperial Knight Gallant, two Armigers, an Onager Dunecrawler, two Sydonian Dragoons, two Kastelan Robots, a Cybernetica Datasmith, five Sicarian Infiltrators, a Tech-Priest Dominus, a Tech-Priest Enginseer, six Skitarii Vanguard w/ Plasma Calivers, three Skitarii Ranger/Vanguard with Omnispex, three Secutarii Peltasts, three Primaris Reivers, two Primaris Intercessors, six ruin walls, six crates, twelve Hormagaunts, one Lictor, eight Genestealers, three Tyranid Warriors, and last but not least a Darkoath Chieftain. Comes to a total of 58 models and 12 terrain pieces.