Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Everyone laughs at conspiracy theorists when they say things like "DARPA CAN CONTROL THE WEATHER!" They have flimsy evidence for their baseless beliefs. But what I am wondering about is what kind of classified technology do you think they actually do have? Obviously a good place to start would be to think about the kind of stuff that governments would really want to do. For example, I know they tried to make a gay bomb to make muslim troops gently caress each other and thereafter be totally worthless in battle.

Based on pure speculation what do you think they can do that the public doesn't know about?

AARO fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I remember in the 2000s, W going crazy about cloning and telling foreign countries not to clone human beings.
All while not pushing a law to make cloning illegal in America.
So the paranoid part of my brain would wildly guess that the US army had some fun cloning people.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 2, 2018

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
If Kim Jung Un has been assassinated and replaced with a US Government clone it would explain his radical change of policy over the
past few weeks.

AARO fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 2, 2018

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Special spoons that mean you can get the top bit of mustard out of a jar.

Spider Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Make tea not war
Weather control was experimented with by the US government throughout the Vietnam war, known as Operation Popeye, mostly in the form of cloud seeding, and there is some evidence that it was, to an extent, successful. Unfortunately it turns out its also expensive and unpredictable, so it got shelved in favour of napalm. In 1977 there was an international treaty preventing the use of weather control in warfare, but I struggle to believe there hasn't been some advancement in the last 40 years...

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Spider Monkey posted:

Weather control was experimented with by the US government throughout the Vietnam war, known as Operation Popeye, mostly in the form of cloud seeding, and there is some evidence that it was, to an extent, successful. Unfortunately it turns out its also expensive and unpredictable, so it got shelved in favour of napalm. In 1977 there was an international treaty preventing the use of weather control in warfare, but I struggle to believe there hasn't been some advancement in the last 40 years...

I only used it as an example because it's such a well known conspiracy theory. My question would be, if they can control the weather why not just stop hurricanes which then cost FEMA billions of dollars to deal with.

Spider Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Make tea not war

AARO posted:

I only used it as an example because it's such a well known conspiracy theory. My question would be, if they can control the weather why not just stop hurricanes which then cost FEMA billions of dollars to deal with.

How do you know that the hurricanes weren't the direct result of them testing some new hurricane creating technology gone wrong?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Spider Monkey posted:

How do you know that the hurricanes weren't the direct result of them testing some new hurricane creating technology gone wrong?

Because it sounds like a comic book?

Spider Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Make tea not war

AARO posted:

Dude, you're asking people to speculate on secret technology possessed by governments

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Spider Monkey posted:

Dude, you're asking people to speculate on secret technology possessed by governments

Stuff that's plausible. Not "They can read and control the minds and actions of all human begins using AI technology discovered at Roswell."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well Russia certainly has some sort of brain damaging invisible wave device based on the whole Cuba thing.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 2, 2018

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

AARO posted:

If Kim Jung Un has been assassinated and replaced with a US Government clone it would explain his radical change of policy over the
past few weeks.

there has been no radical change in policy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(aircraft)

I'm fairly convinced that the US could be hiding aerospace technology that's a few years ahead of what's commonly thought of in the civilian sector. It's not implausible, I think, that the US government could be developing a secret hypersonic aircraft, and apparently there's been reports of people witnessing these sort of pulse-shaped high altitude wakes. After all, the stealth bomber was very much a secret aircraft until it was unveiled in the late 80s or early 90s (I think?), and the technology behind that was pretty ahead of its time.

And a few articles too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5257737/Google-Earth-potentially-spots-hypersonic-aircraft.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-16/america-s-fastest-spy-plane-may-be-back-and-hypersonic

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

AARO posted:

Stuff that's plausible. Not "They can read and control the minds and actions of all human begins using AI technology discovered at Roswell."

He didn’t say that. He said a thing about hurricanes.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nothing because governments don't want to invest in science anymore.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

AceOfFlames posted:

Nothing because governments don't want to invest in science anymore.

yes but why don't governments want to invest in science anymore? i'll tell you why it's because they know science is a hoax. new secret military powers come only and exclusively from dark magicks. join me on these two hundred youtube videos as i show you the secrets of the dark spirits, hail satan

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

The Hum

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Skynet.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Tiny treadmills that shrimp run on, to see just how polluted the water can get before people with money die.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
some weird transmitter in the US Capitol building that turns everybody into a loving retard

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Hot air balloons that work with cold air

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

A Darth Vader-esque containment pod for when McConnell has to put his Koopa shell on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This thread reminds me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-rWnQphPdQ

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Nothing, much easier to control the narrative than work around it with secret tech.

Well, maybe a few unknown viruses, bacteria or other nasty stuff. Also a whole lot of documents of stuff that doesn't work, because it has already been tested on asylum residents and whatnot in the last decades. Perhaps a few more torture techniques they could try as well.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

R. Guyovich posted:

there has been no radical change in policy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've always suspected there's a revolutionary modern technique for making weapons-grade fissile material using standard household appliances and the New World Order is assassinating scientists weekly who keep rediscovering it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Color adapting camo that works like 80's Predator.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

The Brown Note and Ur-Language Cognitive Programming

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I suspect our first clue that WW3 is Actually Happening will be all communications equipment in the world making GBS threads itself in the same 15 second window as every nation deploys its EW measures at the same time.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm from the government but none of you will believe me anyway so ask me anything.

Yes, we have magic.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

this is a cop thread for cops and you're not tricking me

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Willie Tomg posted:

I suspect our first clue that WW3 is Actually Happening will be all communications equipment in the world making GBS threads itself in the same 15 second window as every nation deploys its EW measures at the same time.

I've been reading The Darkening Web: The War for Cyberspace , a book by a cybersecurity guy, and he talks about how cyberwarfare is basically a total free-for-all where every nation is basically doing cyberattacks on every other nation all the time. A lot of this stuff was revealed in the Snowden leaks and other subsequent scandals, but it's probably pretty clear that the NSA and other national security organizations in other governments probably have really advanced zero-day exploits and tons of insanely malicious cyberweaponry ready to go at a moment's notice. So that's probably another "secret technology" thing that governments have that nobody knows about.

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012
Supposedly the CIA has a gun that can make people have heart attacks.

AARO posted:

Our government is known to have experimented with mind control and telepathy. We're living in a comic book.

DrSunshine posted:

This thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(aircraft)

I'm fairly convinced that the US could be hiding aerospace technology that's a few years ahead of what's commonly thought of in the civilian sector. It's not implausible, I think, that the US government could be developing a secret hypersonic aircraft, and apparently there's been reports of people witnessing these sort of pulse-shaped high altitude wakes. After all, the stealth bomber was very much a secret aircraft until it was unveiled in the late 80s or early 90s (I think?), and the technology behind that was pretty ahead of its time.

And a few articles too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5257737/Google-Earth-potentially-spots-hypersonic-aircraft.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-16/america-s-fastest-spy-plane-may-be-back-and-hypersonic

I think we've had drones since at least the early 70s. I may have mentioned it before, but I grew up near Dayton (where there's an Air Force research base) and everyone there has UFO stories, and the UFOs in their stories behaved is a lot like modern drones.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Best Korea posted:

Supposedly the CIA has a gun that can make people have heart attacks.

You mean other than Project TASER? :v:

quote:

I think we've had drones since at least the early 70s. I may have mentioned it before, but I grew up near Dayton (where there's an Air Force research base) and everyone there has UFO stories, and the UFOs in their stories behaved is a lot like modern drones.

You're backed up by the public record. Considering the D-21 was flown in 1964 and the Ryan Model 147 Lightning Bug flew in reconnaissance configuration over America in 1961.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
this is a solid thread for this

Pentagon accuses Chinese of blinding Djibouti-based U.S. pilots with lasers

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

AARO posted:

Hurricanes have so much energy in them, that even a nuke wouldn't phase one, and would likely only make it angry and radioactive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q47sHA4eAo

For tech that nations have, but we don't know about it:

1. Much more advanced crowd control active measures (pain rays, sound weapons, etc) than our police currently have.
2. Hypersonic vehicles and missiles
3. Unknown Nuclear delivery systems and ordinances
4. Space based weapons. Those mini military shuttles aren't just for spying.
5. communications methods, and means to disrupt existing communications methods.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 3, 2018

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
There's not really any point to having "unknown" nuclear delivery systems, since just about anything that is possible was openly tested or fielded at one point or another in the cold war, and, aside from things banned by treaty, the ones that are still in service are the ones that proved effective and worthwhile.

No one is going to gently caress around with space based weaponry, 1) because it doesn't offer a ton of additional capability over ICBMs, SLBMs, or stealth aircraft, and 2) because getting caught doing it is a huge no-no that fucks up a bunch of international norms w/r/t the use of space and strategic posture that everyone who can get to space benefits from.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Wait, is this a serious thread???

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Why write that space weapons aren't worth considering?
Considering.
When did we learn Polyus failed? When did the Berlin wall fail?
What is Polyus considered a failure?
Considering.
When Russia did a 180˚ Polyus did a 180˚.
Degrees.
How many degrees of latitude is Fort Meade?
How many degrees does HUMA have?
Where did Polyus crash?
How many degrees of latitude at the crash site?
When were nuclear space mines worth considering?
Considering.
Orbital Test Vehicle is X-37 is OTV is space plane.
Orbital Test Vehicle.
What are they testing?
Who are they testing?
When did they consider OTV worth flying?
Considering.
Orbital Test Vehicle.
Polyus
COTV-180
Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

guidoanselmi posted:

Wait, is this a serious thread???

I'd argue most threads in this forum are a loving joke the greater portion of whose constituent posters are smart enough to be a part of but aren't smart enough to get.

• Locked thread