Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

what if kink shaming is his kink?????

i think this reduces to russell's paradox and so is not a proctected instance of dont kink shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
like someobdy in that twitter thread, i also wonder how this affects wiping / factory resetting a phone

is the phone now a brick if you forget the passcode and dont have the "wipe phone after 10 attempts" thing turned on?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you have iCloud set up you can change the pin I think

but yes having it brick if you don’t know the passcode is good

no, it is not good

what would be good is being able to wipe it and restore ios from itunes with all of your personal data gone, and not have a perfectly functional piece of electronics turn into a several hundred dollar paperweight

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

since when does the data erasure after 10 failed unlock attempts mean you've functionally bricked your phone

it does not, i am talking about the opposite: when you do not have the 10-pin-failure-wipe enabled, when that is not a way to erase the phone

(and if the phone doesnt have find my iphone enabled, because then you could wipe it through icloud.com/find)

if there is no automatic wipe after 10 failed pin attempts (which as far as i remember is the default), and the phone isnt enabled for find my iphone remote wipe, it seems like it might be impossible to reset it without the pin

ate all the Oreos posted:

i mean i'm sure they thought about this first and there's probably just some "oh you hosed up, tap here to erase everything" button

yeah i hope so

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

i have no idea what you're trying to say here

the first thing you said -- being able to wipe your phone and restore ios from itunes with all of your personal data gone -- is possible. it is possible today, it was possible a year ago. in fact, you don't even need to do the "restore from itunes" thing at all. at what point does your phone become "a several hundred dollar paperweight" during this process, in your estimation

this seems like more of an edge case the more i think about it, but this is the scenario:

• find my iphone is off
  • "wipe phone after 10 failed passcode entries" is off
  • you do not know the passcode, either you forgot it or you never knew it in the first place

at this point the phone will not communicate with anything over usb, so you cant wipe it through itunes, and you cant wipe it through the phone itself

you used to be able to wipe the phone through itunes without the passcode, afaik

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the reason you want it to brick is to reduce the value in stealing and selling stolen iPhones

this is something which find my iphone is already very good for, and i guess this extra "cant wipe the phone" behavior (if that is accurate) might be good for people who dont want to enable find my iphone but want their stolen phone to be useless to someone else

me, id rather be able to find my phone and remotely wipe it too, but i do know some people who are uneasy with giving apple the ability to lock down their phone remotely

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

i'm gonna assume that a factory reset will trip that usb accessories flag

yes, my point is how do you do that factory reset when the phone is locked with a passcode you dont know, and wont communicate over usb

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

a lot of people never use or don’t know about "find my iPhone"

having the phone be unusable without the passcode or iCloud access means someone who does use a six-digit passcode (like initial setup really really wants you to) still gets protection from phone thieves (there’s a lot of herd immunity there too) and governments

yeah im coming around to this behavior, if this is even how it works, it just seems a little :raise: at first

pseudorandom name posted:

you allow DFU even when the phone otherwise refuses to communicate over USB

ah okay, i was barely even aware of this mode and hadnt encountered that acronym before, let alone the procedure required to put the phone in that mode, wonder if that enables usb communication and if so that seems like a neat threat vector

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Find my iphone?

i specifically said im talking about when find my iphone is off, otherwise of course you can wipe it that way

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Krankenstyle posted:

are you saying app A can pop over app B?!

I have never seen this

nah but iOS can pop over everything and so it isn't too uncommon to see system prompts over the app you happen to be using

so an app asking for your gmail password can look similar enough to the real prompt that someone might not realize it's the app asking and not core iOS things

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
yeah algo is "that shell script i wrote to set up ipsec" but done via ansible and having different config steps for different server operating systems (freebsd, differnet linux distributions), and automatically generating keys, creating client configs for whatever systems you want, e.g. linux, windows, macos, ios, anroid, etc.

its not that this is hard, its just that it should rightly be automated if youre going to do it more than once, and algo is exactly that automation via a decent devops tool

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
ive found ssl vpns to be super useful in restricted public networks like certain businesses' wifi, which block outoging traffic to anything but a small set of ports including TCP 80, TCP 443, and UDP 53, but i havent had the opportunity to try ipsec to a cloud vm on such a network to see if that works

openvpn listening on UDP 53 is (at least used to be) extremely useful to get around captive portals, e.g. cisco home routers that had a guest network that was unencrypted but required entering a password to a HTML form

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Jimmy Carter posted:

T-Mobile charges you international calling rates when you use WiFi calling outside the US because gently caress you that’s why.

!

i have been evangelizing wifi calling to people i know who travel abroad, and how it is effectively free usage of your phone as if you are in your home country, and i did not know any carriers actually charged for this

gently caress that is scummy

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
yeah that makes sense, jimmy carter made it sound like if you are in germany and you use wifi calling through tmobile to call a US number, you are billed for international charges

being charged international rates if you call a german number is perfectly consistent with "your phone acts exactly like youre in the US"

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
openssl 1.1.1 was released yesterday with a ton of stuff, despite following openssl releases i always forget that lots of new features come in the x.y.z+1 releases instead of x+1.0.0 or x.y+1.0

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
facebook should only be used over tor, under a fake name, with no facebook contact with anyone you know in real life

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
then what the gently caress else do people use it for

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

yeah its a sketchy uefi module installed by manufacturers for tracking stolen laptops. its essentially a rootkit and exploits a hijacking of a windows system component (autochk) in order to install itself in the os. It is equally easily hijacked by other, more nefarious malware like the one presented in the article.

If Microsoft were to have signed this and other components in the boot sequence that particular exploit would not be possible.

The separate task of the malware modifying the firmware with its own rootkit requires misconfiguration or exploitation of secure boot. That's on manufacturers and admins to handle properly, but if Microsoft is not checking signatures on the stuff windows is running you may still run into bad ideas like computrace/lojack.

and this was superseded by microsoft allowing a sepcific ACPI key to just execute the contents as a binary blob on windows boot, so a thid party bios would not have to understand ntfs and overwrite a specific core windows component

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

There's an optional partition on UEFI that you can dump software on to and the Windows install routine will fire that off silently. It was made for OEMs and Lenovo abused it immediately

is this distinct from the windows platform binary table https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/A/2/8A2FB72D-9B96-4E2D-A559-4A27CF905A80/windows-platform-binary-table.docx ? because its super easy to get around what youre describing by zeroing a disk before a windows install

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Raere posted:

Details on those Russians trying to hack the wifi at OCPW
https://english.defensie.nl/topics/cyber-security/documents/publications/2018/10/04/gru-close-access-cyber-operation-against-opcw

One of the laptops they seized had photos and metadata from previous operations. Also google.ru searches for OCPW related things. And cellphones that were activated on the closest cell tower to the GRU barracks. A+ opsec

huh, ive stayed in that marriott, weird

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

JumpinJackFlash posted:

Looks like Django as well. Still don’t see how google is indexing a .env file. Don’t touch the poop.

im sure this is easy to do in php since the default/simplest option is "paths in urls for your site directly map to a directory on disk containing .php files", but you have to try pretty hard to gently caress up this bad in django

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i understand the appeal of buying a box but i would recommend just paying $5/month for a cloud vps like from digital ocean or wherever, setting up algo, generating keys for everyone and sending the .mobileconfig profiles to any ios devices

works great for services out of the country, though it would not be hard for things to start noticing "this ip is in the digital ocean/aws/azure/whatever" block, not a residential connection, so it could easily stop working at any time

my mom got a ton of use out of it for history channel and pandora on her ipad when on vacation

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Jeoh posted:

uefi was a mistake

the prevoius version of this behavior with the acpi key whose contents are executed with system privileges was:

the bios of the machine has a rudimentary understanding of the NTFS filesystem structure, and on boot, replaces a core windows component (autochk.exe) with the hardware manufacturer's version

lenovo did this, and this is how computrace works/worked

"bios silently replaces core windows component with possibly badly written lenovo version" is far worse, dont blame this on uefi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

My Linux Rig posted:

androids app model is such trash. ive always wondered what they thought would happen when they decided to allow apps to access poo poo like the call history

yeah that information seems like stuff google would want to keep to itself instead of giving access to its advertising/panopticon compeittors

• Locked thread